malty: Simple Camera Rig
  • I know its only been a day but this script doesn't work on AE CC 2014.
    I guess this has something to do with an error I've heard off before. Sadly it has nothing to do with my script (meaning I can't fix it directly). Some users in the prerelease program reported an error with my rig. Adobe's response was that it WAS NOT MY SCRIPT, but something with the camera creation itself (which is weird). I'm looking into it.
  • Same here. Worked fined on AE CC but on AE CC 2014 it gives this message:
    "Seems like the installation process failed after all. Sorry about that. This is totally unexpected.[...]"
    and after that this error: "After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! {unexpected match name searched for in group} ( 29 :: 0 )".
  • I've just installed the 2014 version and I'm looking into it. If there's anything I can do - expect a fix soon.
  • Also getting the same error as Luis Falcao Lucas in AE CC 2014 for Mac. Clicking OK in the error dialog box does nothing and you have to force quit AE or restart your machine. I just got Simple Camera Rig a couple weeks ago and loving it. Hope it's a simple fix. 
  • same here,i was just wondering that anyone else had the same problem with After effects CC2014 and i found these comments :) im getting the same error code. (29::0) i tried running it with ft toolbar aswell but nothing changes.looking forward to solve the issue.
  • im on a pc with Windows 7 by the way
  • Yes I have the errors too - have to task manager force AE to close as the errors are non-stop. I also had to manually install the script entries in the XML file before getting these errors.
  • Jerzy- have you now seen this problem in AE CC 2014? Currently the script is not working at all with 2104.

Thanks.
  • Mmmm, thats odd. I just started a new project and tried creating a new camera rig using the SCR - and it worked fine!

I had tried many times previously. The only thing I've done in the interim is to restart the machine, although I can't see why that would make a difference.

All seems to be working fully again though.
  • I'm having problem with CC2014 also, have tried everything including re-install of AE no love.
    am getting the attached error message

Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 12.11.22 PM.png
    496 x 122 - 19K
  • I previously said all was well - it's causing problems again - it seems to create the layers OK but stops at some point and says that setup of the script didn't work.

Kind of usable as all the links seem to be there and the SCR works - it may have stopped just before the created layers were set to shy.
  • One workaround I discovered -  if you have alternate workstation running earlier version of AE you can create a comp apply the script save it, then open in CC2014 and as long as you don't run the script again, it should work, with all effects controls etc...At least for those in a bind
  • I´ve the same problems on mac with CC2014  :( 

Hope you´ll find a solution, soon.

• I´ve the same problems on mac with CC2014  :( 

Hope you´ll find a solution, soon.

We are aware of the issue with CC2014 and are working with Adobe on a fix. It will most likely be fixed when Adobe issues an update for After Effects.  Thanks for your patience and understanding.  And feel free to file bug reports with Adobe, the more of you they hear from the faster it will be fixed, file bug report here: http://adobe.com/go/wish
  • What's the cause - any idea? would help bug reporting if we had some idea...
  • What's the cause - any idea? would help bug reporting if we had some idea...
    "all pseudo effects applied in a non-preset manner crash After Effects"
  • Hi Maltaannon,

I hope you makes update for this script as soon as possible in order to make it compatible with after effects cc 2014

Your script is one of the most important scripts for all after effects users

I really appreciate your efforts

• Hi Maltaannon,

I hope you makes update for this script as soon as possible in order to make it compatible with after effects cc 2014

Your script is one of the most important scripts for all after effects users

I really appreciate your efforts

Thank you for the kind words. I'm very sorry - there's not much I can do to fix it. The fact that it doesn't work in 2014 is not due to mu script, but a bug in AE CC 2014. I have few ideas, but not sure if they will work. By the time I try them out Adobe may already fix this bug. 

What you should take from this is that I am aware of the issue and I'm trying to do something to make it work before Adobe releases the fix.
  • Causing a lot of pain - it was kind of working, now I get endless errors when applying SCR :(

Frustrating how slow Adobe can be to fix bugs too.
  • Not to fear. Maltaannon is here. I think I've found a fix that avoids the issue. It has some benefits, but also some disadvantages, but very very small ones, so I think I'm going to release it. As soon as I record a video to explain what was changed I'll release it. Hopefully today. Stay tuned.
  • Hi, will this update be released today I'm really needing it?  even if the video isn't recorded yet can you release it just so I can continue working?  many thanks, hard to live without this plugin now lol
  • This is quite weird - I was having problems with the same errors as posted previously. I went back to my main edit system which is also CC 2014 and SCR worked perfectly! - applying a new instance of it too in a new project.

Is it something to do with having SCR already installed somehow?
  • Thanks for the fix!  Great tool  : )
  • Thanks Maltaannon for your efforts, I really appreciate it
  • Great. Does the old version have to be uninstalled or the XML files modified?
  • Great. Does the old version have to be uninstalled or the XML files modified?
    No. Just overwrite the files and you'll be good to go.
  • Hi Jerzy, 
    The script seems to be working fine but the effect says "Missing: Simple Camera Rig" so i'm not sure what is going on. I'm on a mac osx 10.9.4

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 10.09.29 AM.png
    808 x 752 - 98K
  • hello

I never got it to work. installed the update today and basically got stuck where I was stuck last year. this is the error:
    "seems like some files are missing. Make sure to download the whole packeage...." and so on.

of course I did download the whole package AND placed it in the scipt folder.
    any idea?

cheers
    lars
  • hello

I never got it to work. installed the update today and basically got stuck where I was stuck last year. this is the error:
    "seems like some files are missing. Make sure to download the whole packeage...." and so on.

of course I did download the whole package AND placed it in the scipt folder.
    any idea?

cheers
    lars
    Seems to me like the software you used to xtract the files ignored the file paths and just extracted everything to the root of the Scripts folder. Make sure you extract the files along with any directories that are in the zip file. Check the readme.txt for details of what you should end up with.
  • Hi Jerzy, 
    The script seems to be working fine but the effect says "Missing: Simple Camera Rig" so i'm not sure what is going on. I'm on a mac osx 10.9.4

As explained in this video:

The "Missing" message is part of the design for users on CS6 and earlier versions. Watch the video and everything will be clear. The script still works, so no worries. BTW - creative cloud is pretty cool. You should upgrade :)
  • Can't make it work in cc2014.  A few questions.
    Do I remove 2.01?
    The nulls show up...but no interface.

Please advise.

• Do I remove 2.01?
    No, you don't have to. The mechanics of both versions are very different and they don't get in each others ways. Do you have any more observations? I'm assuming there are no errors? Windows or Mac? Are you sure you're running the correct version and that it extracted correctly (with the folder structure) from the ZIP file?
  • Thanks for your response. It says it seems like some files are missing.  Are the controls zip file and settings file supposed to be unzipped?  When I try it says they are unknown format or  damage.  I have windows 7 64 and After Effects CC 2014.  I guess I will re-download and try again.
  • Thanks for your response. It says it seems like some files are missing.  Are the controls zip file and settings file supposed to be unzipped?  When I try it says they are unknown format or  damage.  I have windows 7 64 and After Effects CC 2014.  I guess I will re-download and try again.
    That message means that some files are missing or cannot be found, which usually means that they were extracted incorrectly. Some extracting habits that people have ignore the internal structure and paths contained in the ZIP file. I think that's what is happening here. The controls and settings files were not supposed to be unzipped, but they should be placed in the malty_SimpleCameraRig folder. You can see the correct structure in the readme.txt. Make sure that when extracting the ZIP file you include the folder structure. Everything should be fine.
  • Working now.  Extracted it directly into scripts.  Thanks again.  Love the script.
  • Hey, I am using the camera rig with Plexus. It seems to be dramatically slow down the animation. When I use a normal camera I can move plexus lights around really quickly. 
    Have you noticed anything like this at all?

cheers
  • Hey, I am using the camera rig with Plexus. It seems to be dramatically slow down the animation. When I use a normal camera I can move plexus lights around really quickly. 
    Have you noticed anything like this at all?

cheers
    No I have not. I had two or three reports like that in the past. It was always the "users fault". Remember that SCR is essentially a Camera parented to a null. Nothing out of the ordinary. If something works slow, it's either AE or plugin being used at the moment (in your case Plexus), but I'd rather say AE. The Plexus guys can do as much about it as I (which is pretty much nothing). Think if there's something you're doing in a "not-optimized" way.
  • Hi,
    I bought and tried to use the script, bit after the first simple setup (Element 3D, simple extrusion model) the movement of the camera ist so slow, as I would have a really slow Machine. When I use the normal camera it goes in real time, but here I have to switch the view to quarter and it isn't still in real time. 
    I usew a Mac Pro 2013, 3ghz, 32 GB RAM – so it can't be that, furthermore the "normal" camera ist working in real time in full resolution. The Comp ist 720p50. Pls help. Thanks.
    BTW: It's also slow in any usage of the rig in a 3D Environment. I use After Effects CS6
  • Chris Homer (post directly above yours) had a similar situation with Plexus so I'll just elaborate a bit more on the issue. Simple Camera Rig (SCR) is essentially just a camera parented to a null. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not hooking into some internal AE procedures for rendering or anything like that. There's hardly any reason for me to suspect the slowness being something I can fix in the SCR itself.

It's most likely something in your particular setup that makes AE slow. It can be Element 3D, it can be your GPU, it can be the setup of your composition, it can be the type of CPU you have, it can be a 1000 different things. I'd love to help, but there's nothing I could investigate. 

I've only had few similar reports in the past and I've seen similar behavior in AE where SCR was not even installed, so I know things like that can happen. Sometimes things in AE just don't work as expected. All I can say that I've been using the rig for past 6 years on a dozen different machines and setups before I've made it into product and released it into the public and I've never witnessed this behavior while using the rig on my own.

Taking all that into account I'd say it's the CPU not working in the optimal way. Remember - the efficiency of a workstation is not just GHz, it's not just RAM, it's also the components, how they work together, how the CPU delegates calculations to different threads (if at all), and it's of course the software being used with a particulat hardware. Just like at some point you could only use nVidia cards with AE for GPU acceleration. They are still the best choice, but others work too... or at least they try. I think it's either an issue of that nature, or something in your comp setup. In each case - there's nothing I can do. I mean... I wish I could present you with a decent PC workstation to solve all your problems, but I guess that's out of the question, right? :P 
  • @Jerzy: Anyway thanks, I also suppose meanwhile that there must be something on the "machne-AE-setup".
  • Help! Cmd, Alt, Shift to create SureTarget is not working on my Mac , so also ctrl/cmd for Global Settings. Only Shift/ for mimic_Cam works. And i have tried both side of the keyboard buttons. Please what else can i do u get this moving :(
    (CS6)
  • Are you using ft-Toolbar v2? There's a bug that is hard to resolve when using ft-Toolbar (but only with v2). I've talked with the author of that script and it turns out it's something deep in the ESTK (scripting used to make both ft-toolbar and SCR) that is causing it and there's not much we (developers) can do about it. 

However... you can try this: Press all the keys and keep holding them, then go to File > Scripts > malty_SimpleCameraRig.jsx. If that doesn't work do this: File > Scripts > Run Script... then navigate to the location where SCR script is located, select the file, press the keys and click Open. Also try changing the Cmd to the Ctrl. 

Please let me know if it worked, and also which one. 
    I'm working to resolve this issue, but it will take some time.

Thanks.

• Yes I am using ft-Toolbar, a friend's license. Maybe because the ft-toolbar was on trial when i installed SCR but then i tried other options as you suggested, still the same.

I'll try and uninstall both scripts and re-install SCR first to see what the glitch is... while we i await the creator's solution.

Thanks for the swift response :)
  • How do I add wiggle to the camera with malty rig?
  • You could wiggle the SCR target null or even parent that to a new null and wiggle that. (From memory it's called 'camera controls' )
  • You could wiggle the SCR target null or even parent that to a new null and wiggle that. (From memory it's called 'camera controls' )
    But the cam control is scripted already. This is why I am unsure how to do it.
  • I'm not in front of a PC now but I know I've just parented the cam control null to a new null before. You can then do what you like with the new null including adding expressions such as wiggle etc. Does that make sense?
  • I bought this script mainly becuase he said it works great with VideoCoPilot's SureTarget. Now am stuck with it not working with Suretarget! :(
  • Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been responding to your comments. I've been on the road for the past two weeks and it's really hard to use the internet. As soon as I get back I'll be more than happy to assist you.
    Cheers
  • Hi Jerzy

OK - I am using AE CC2014. (Windoze 7 64 bit)

This is weird.  If I start with a completel;y new AE project, add a new composition,  add a solid, make that a 3D layer and then add a camera, I can run malty - works fine. I therefore assume that it is 'installed' properly...

But if I then close that project, open an existing project, and try to run Malty, I get the "Seems like some files are missing..." error

If I then inside that existing project simply start a new composition, add a solid/ 3D camera, then Malty works again...

It seems like Malty's functionality is partly composition dependent...

I would happily let you use Teamviewer to see for yourself...

??

Nick