• Hi Michael,
    First off, fantastic script - love it! Just running into a little problem using the key align feature, specifically the "align to layer in point" & "align to layer out point" tools. They just don't seem to be responding. At one point it shifted the keys slightly to one side but nowhere near the layers out point. I'm using the latest version of rift 1.4.2 with CS6 64bit. thanks in advance for any help on this. 
    -Matt
    Hi Matt,

Could you explain a little bit more about the specific situation in which this problem is occurring? I can't re-create the problem on my end.

It could also be a misunderstanding of the functionality, I didn't do the most amazing job at explaining it in the video. So to clarify just in case, the layer key align functions don't automatically slide the keys up to the in or out point. It instead offsets from the leftmost or rightmost keys in the selection. This is to allow you to align keys that are not intended to be exactly at the in or out point, e.g., keys in the middle of a layer.

Thanks.
  • suggestion:

How about a switch for automatically selecting all layers? I find myself constantlly hitting CTRL/CMD + A.

Also when adding og subtracting time I could use an "add time change note to marker" (need better and shorter name :-D). The option would make a comp marker at CTI/playhead that displays the "time action" you have applied. E.g. "+2 sec" or "-2 f" (frames). It would help keeping track of the changes you have made, and when the client comes back and still have issues with the timing it's easer to navigate to the comp markers adding a few more frames to please them :)

Example:

Perhaps beeing able to get Rift settings from the comp marker at the playhead would be a cool feature (and update the comp markers with the new Rift operations you apply)
  • Hi Thor,

For some reason I just now saw your comment. Sorry about the delay.

I like both of your ideas and I plan on tinkering with them.

Could you elaborate on your last note about getting Rift settings from markers? What would be a full use case for this?

Thanks!
  • Hi Michael,
    Like everyone's been saying – great script.
    I have, however, run into an issue with this newest version where I get an error message and my keyframes are deleted when I try to shift x-y-separated position keyframes using a specific setup of Rift. (edit: I usually have "Keys" enabled, but I forgot to in the following screenshot. The error appears either way though)

You can see a screenshot of the setup here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23257058/riftIssue_1.jpg
    And upon clicking "Add to Time"...

I'm using CS6 and an example project file can be downloaded here if you're interested: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23257058/riftTest_v1.aep

Thanks! (and as a side note – great NAB speech – watched it on Vimeo a few weeks back)
    --Ross

• Hey Ross,

Thanks for the well documented bug report! I've confirmed the problem on my end.

Theres a big update in the works that will include a fix for this.

Glad you liked the speech!
  • Hi Michael,

Good job on 1.4 with the improved selection dot icon - MUCH easier to work out what's selected now :) I only just noticed there was a new version. Maybe a newer version notification option like some other scripts employ would be good.

Keep up the great work :)

Paul.
  •  Maybe a newer version notification option like some other scripts employ would be good.
    You can sign up to be notified here: https://aescripts.com/subscription
  • Yeah I already have done - in fact have two emails getting notifications! I don't remember seeing a Rift update email unless I missed it. However, email is one thing - not the best way to notify as they get lost and forgotten. In-script notification is what I was suggesting. I'm sure youve seen it on other scripts? Not a big issue, just a thought.

Cheers.
  • Yeah I already have done - in fact have two emails getting notifications! I don't remember seeing a Rift update email unless I missed it. However, email is one thing - not the best way to notify as they get lost and forgotten. In-script notification is what I was suggesting. I'm sure youve seen it on other scripts? Not a big issue, just a thought.

Agreed, we are currently working on a global notification system for all aescripts products.  We hope to have it available soon. Until then you'll have to rely on emails ;)
  • Ah that sounds good. Do you mean a notification within the script UI? Or a system via email but better?
  • Ah that sounds good. Do you mean a notification within the script UI? Or a system via email but better?
    Both.
  • Any possibility of adding a "dumb stagger" to the arrange section? Something along the lines of, if you leave the unit count box empty/special character, Rift will set the startTime/inPoint (whichever) of each following layer to the preceding's outPoint. For keys, each selected property's first keyframe set to the prior property's last.
  • Hey Zack, 

Yes. I have a test version where a checkbox enables this functionality for layers. When checked, and the unit count is 0 or empty, the layers will align the inPoints to adjacent layer's outPoint and so on and so on as you described. If there is a value in the unit count box, it will relatively add/subtract on top of aligning the in/out points. I'm not completely sure what to label the checkbox though. Which is why I like the idea of having a special character for this sans any new checkbox. Any thoughts on which character that would be?

Thanks! 
  • Hi Michael,

I am using Rift 1.4.2 and cant seem to set the Expo amounts manually using numbers in the input field under the Sequence options, shown in the Video Tutorial. There is only a little thin input box to the left of the green arrow that has been "muted". Has that feature been replaced by the Sine, Circ, Quad etc..options?

Thank you!
    J

• Hey Jonanda,

To manually set the power of the easing equation being used, you use the "Pow" option. Expo and all of the other options above it are just presets and have a fixed power amounts.
  • Which is why I like the idea of having a special character for this sans any new checkbox. Any thoughts on which character that would be?

Maybe "&"? As in, one & two & three & four (or is that too cheesy?). Alternatively, "!", relating to factorials, sequences and all that.
  • Hi,
    does Rift allow staggering of keyframes on multiple / different layers (staggering selected keyframes only, leaving the layers in place)?
  • Hello, and thanks a lot... this script save me a lot of time !

See you !
  • You know what would be great if you had an align Layer Marker button like you have one for keyframes. Pretty Please.
  • Hi,
    does Rift allow staggering of keyframes on multiple / different layers (staggering selected keyframes only, leaving the layers in place)?
    Yes it does. Please watch the tutorial video to learn how to do it.
  • hi, thanks for fantastic script! the time it would have saved me earlier...
    anyway, i have an issue with the randomize function. i moved a start keyframe for 200+ layers randomly, and they seem to be not-so random. three first three ones are the same, next ten are all in another frame, next eight all in another and so on. the result is pretty far from random. am i doing something wrong?
  • Hi there,

I think there might be an issue with "rifting" positions if "separate dimensions" is used (ie X position, Y position and Z position) rather than just position. Might this be the case?  Or am I an idiot of some kind?  It seems to only do it to one of the layers then give up.

• hi, thanks for fantastic script! the time it would have saved me earlier...
    anyway, i have an issue with the randomize function. i moved a start keyframe for 200+ layers randomly, and they seem to be not-so random. three first three ones are the same, next ten are all in another frame, next eight all in another and so on. the result is pretty far from random. am i doing something wrong?
    Hi Rikard,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

It sounds like you might have your range set too low. If you try changing the default unit up at the top to something larger than it currently is, does it still exhibit the same behaviour. If so, please open a ticket as you may have found a bug.

Thanks!
  • Hi there,

I think there might be an issue with "rifting" positions if "separate dimensions" is used (ie X position, Y position and Z position) rather than just position. Might this be the case?  Or am I an idiot of some kind?  It seems to only do it to one of the layers then give up.

Hi Danny,

Could you explain a bit more about the steps your taking to apply Rift? Even better is if you could open a ticket and upload an aep file with instructions on how to reproduce the issue.

Thanks!
  • Hi there, awesome script! Just wanted to point out a bug we've discovered, on CS6 & CC at least, when we try and shift keyframes on multiple layers and some of those have a Curves effect applied to them, Rift wont work. We can select the other keyframes and Rift those, moving the Curves ones manually, but it's not ideal. Sorry if it's a repeat of what someone else has found...
    Thanks!
  • Thanks for letting me know Patrick. I'll be looking into it.
  • Absolutely awesome! Thank you so much for inventing this! such a timesaver, i love it and would never be again without it :)
  • Hello, a really cool! Can it move the keys like that? It was even better!image
  • Most similar is "Left Align".
    But it breaks the animation sequence.
  • Rift cannot currently do that. The other 2 alignment options respect the sequence, but align to scrubber does not. For now, it's easiest to just slide the keyframes with your mouse or use Rift's Shift panel.
  • AE CCv12 and 2014 Rift 1.4.2 Randomize only works in the Max direction regardless of entry in Min or Max. If value is same in both Min and Max then all keyframes shift forward same amount. When selecting keyframes across multiple layers AND different parameters keys randomize per layer not per key, so that all keys on a layer are at same time.
    I opened a support ticket for this but thought i would toss this out here.
    Thanks!
  • Hi Michael and everyone, I'm just posting an error (not the fault of Rift but another plugin) and its solution, because I love this script and the others that Michael makes.

I ran in to an error the other day - none of the scripts that Michael makes were working, like Rift, Sortie or Keysmith, and it sucked. Kept giving me an error which was something like "unable to load script, object at line 23 is undefined", which is a pretty un-googlable error unfortunately. 

I had just installed another plugin, Templater, which I had docked, which meant it opened as soon as AE opens. It does something to the operating environment of AE I've now found, not sure what, but as soon as I closed the docked Templater panel, restarted AE, all of Michael's plugins worked again.

I hope this helps someone out there regain the use of Rift or Sortie!
  • Hey Luke,

Thanks for the kind words and letting me know of this issue with Templater. I'll look into it.
  • I really like rift. Is there a way to reverse key frames? If not this would be a great addition.
  • Hi Michael,

So just like Time Reverse Keyframes? But accessible from a button? 
  • Hello, thanks for this script that i just discovered.
    A matthias egger in previous page, nothing happen when i use align to layer in point or out point.
    No matters what i select, it just doesn't seems to work, with 1.4.2, on win7, ae cc 2015 last update.
    Thank you for all.
  • hi There

I am looking for a script that aligns keyframes o markers. Does RIFT do that?

Thanks

Miguel
  • Is there a Rift command that will take my timeline layers and simply stack them all IN to OUT? 
    For example, I have 50 layers with varying lengths. I'd like them to all sequence themselves without breaks or overlaps.

I can do this in AE, keyframe assistant > sequence layers-- but it's several steps because I like to work bottom to top in the timeline and AE's algo only sequences top to bottom.

• I like Rift a lot, and it's a permanent panel in all my workspaces. But often it just stops working AT ALL. Only a restart of AE kicks it back to life. I've tried closing and relaunching the script itself, but nada.
    I can't confirm, but it seems to be triggered sometimes by switching workspaces. As I don't do that very often, I haven't been able to directly correlate the two ideas...

Anyone got any solutions?

OSX 10.11.2
    AE CC 2015
    All up to date.
  • Footnote: I use Rift the most for moving the scrubber by specific increments, usually 1sec forward or back, because AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, Adobe still hasn't create a keyboard shortcut to move one second — a universal constant — only in single frames or ten frames (both nearly useless in 24fps comps). Rift fills the gap, though being able to assign a shortcut would be coolio... hint, hint :-)
  • Hi Trevor,

I'm not familiar with that particular issue. Not sure what could be causing it.

The next version of Rift is being rewritten as an extension. Which should probably take care of these rare issues as a extra benefit.
  • This is an extremely useful plugin.  Thank you so much for making this!
  • I have a problem with Rift at the moment, is this the right place to ask?
    When I open the script from the Window menu I get the error "Unable to execute script at line 1120. name is read only".

Any ideas?
  • I can't make Rift move post timeline scrubber "markers" ( the timeline markers). Is there a way?
  • Why is it that the only Key Align buttons that work are the align to scrubber buttons? I would LOVE to align to IN or OUT points.
  • Why is it that the only Key Align buttons that work are the align to scrubber buttons? I would LOVE to align to IN or OUT points.
    Looks like it DOES work, but only with the "affects all keys" option. I'd rather not move everything, but at least there's that.
  • Looks like it DOES work, but only with the "affects all keys" option. I'd rather not move everything, but at least there's that.
    Hmm, it should work with just selected keys. I'll look into this for the next version.
  • Hi! I've been using Rift everyday since quite a while, but I have some issues at the moment. I switched to El Capitan and I'm on AE CC2015. I have the rift panel set into my default wrokspace but when I launch After Effects I get two error messages from Rift:

Incorrect permissions set for folder: /Users/[myactualuser]/Library/Application Support

and the after that another one:

Unable to execute script at line 696. Bad argument list

I changed the permissions of the mentioned directory (and all included files and dirs) to read&write for everyone but I still get this errors.

Sometimes after a while if I close and reopen the Rift panel it just works.

Any ideas to fix this?

Thanks a lot.
  • Hi! I've been using Rift everyday since quite a while, but I have some issues at the moment. I switched to El Capitan and I'm on AE CC2015. I have the rift panel set into my default wrokspace but when I launch After Effects I get two error messages from Rift:

Incorrect permissions set for folder: /Users/[myactualuser]/Library/Application Support

and the after that another one:

Unable to execute script at line 696. Bad argument list

I changed the permissions of the mentioned directory (and all included files and dirs) to read&write for everyone but I still get this errors.

Sometimes after a while if I close and reopen the Rift panel it just works.

Any ideas to fix this?

Thanks a lot.
    Hey Mauro,

That error is only thrown if its unable to create a folder inside /Users/[myactualuser]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/ScriptData/. So it seems like theres still a permission problem on your system. This is a work around for an Adobe bug inherent in the old way of writing UI's. Rift 2.0 will use the new method and wont have this problem.

Thanks.
  • Great Script : ) Use the Randomize Function a lot.

Is it possible to Randomize my Layers in fixed Steps ? 
    For example ervery 25 Frames.

Thanks, Chris

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-16 um 14.37.17.png
    331 x 377 - 22K