• Hi Orrin,
    I'm trying out Typemonkey and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can do individual syllables without having to move words around. Is there a way to do this?

• Hi Orrin,
    I'm trying out Typemonkey and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can do individual syllables without having to move words around. Is there a way to do this?

Interesting question. Certainly it's a lot easier with motionmonkey and create the layers with ai...tm uses spaces in the text box to designate layers... So my gut feeling is that u'd need to separate each syllable with a space then manually moving them back together.
  • Can I use this on multiple computers? I have purchased it and installed it on my work computer, but frequently need to work on my home computer on projects.
    Thank you and it's a great tool!

EDIT: Never mind. I read the license. That's a bummer. Is there a way to uninstall it from my work computer and put it on my laptop so it's more versatile?
  • Can I use this on multiple computers?
    Hi Shane- Lloyd tells me its licensed for 2 computers as long as they're not being used at the same time...so I think you're good.
  • EDIT: Never mind. I read the license. That's a bummer. Is there a way to uninstall it from my work computer and put it on my laptop so it's more versatile?
    You are allowed to install it on up to 2 computers as long as they are not used at the same time.  If you need to un-install the license from a computer please open a support ticket and we can get you a tool to do that.
  • Am I the only one having issues getting TM to be a dockable panel in AECC2014?  I'm using a PC so I put it in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2014\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels, and yet it still comes up as a window, plus I can't get AE to automatically run it when I restart AE.
  • Am I the only one having issues getting TM to be a dockable panel in AECC2014?  I'm using a PC so I put it in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2014\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels, and yet it still comes up as a window, plus I can't get AE to automatically run it when I restart AE.
    Hi David- We haven't heard of any problems...once you launch it from the windows menu, are you docking it and saving the workspace? If not, try it and see if it works for you.
  • Seems to be working now.  Don't know why it didn't before.  I guess it just needed a third attempt at "The IT Crowd" fix... "IT... Did you turn it off and turn it on again?"

• Hi,

If we purchase this plugin, is it possible to run the jsxbin from command line or from another jsx file?
    We like the script but would like to use it programmatically rather than from the AE scripts panels.

Thanks
  • I just tried it and I can launch if from this script:

var TypeMonkey = new File("/c/test/TypeMonkey.jsxbin");
    $.evalFile(TypeMonkey);

I wasn't able to do it from the command line with this:

c:\"Program Files"\Adobe\"Adobe After Effects CC 2014"\"Support Files"\AfterFX.exe -r c:\test\TypeMonkey.jsxbin

but I wasn't able to launch anything that way, so I think I'm doing something wrong. I'd suggest experimenting with the trial version.

Dan
  • Thanks Dan,

Sorry for being unclear.

evalFile opens the script panel just fine but what I'd like to be able to do is call the functions and set parameters directly from my jsx scripts. Basically using typemonkey as a library.

I think if the function names and parameters were exposed it should work.

example: typemonkey_doit( "my text here" , font_size);

Thanks,
    Amir
  • Ah, OK. I don't think there's any way to make that work because the code is so dependent on the UI. I think it would take a modified version of TypeMonkey to support something like that.

Dan
  • This script is fantastic. I've been using it to create kinetic lyric videos at our church that play behind our performers. 

I'm curious if there's a way to disable one of the animation types. I like all the animations, but one of them is a little too jarring for our use and I haven't found a way to disable just that one. Seems like I can set the animation type to random or just one of the options.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
  • This script is fantastic. I've been using it to create kinetic lyric videos at our church that play behind our performers. 

I'm curious if there's a way to disable one of the animation types. I like all the animations, but one of them is a little too jarring for our use and I haven't found a way to disable just that one. Seems like I can set the animation type to random or just one of the options.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
    Hi Justin- 
    Sure!

Just go into the text layer (you could use MonkeyTools and click UnShy Text/Image), then find the expression you don't want to use, and turn it off. It'll now just cut on...you can animate it by hand if you wish (or just dissolve it in).

Let me know if you want a more indepth explanation.

BTW- which move you don't like?
  • Is there any way to do a simple "fade in" (opacity 0-100) for words, without any movement?
  • Is there any way to do a simple "fade in" (opacity 0-100) for words, without any movement?
    Hi Ze'ev-
    At this point- no- but we'll add that at some point (oddly no one has brought that up- but it makes total sense).

What I would recommend is to set the style to None or Cut On, build the animation, then use MonkeyTools to Unshy the text layers. Then just manually dissolve them in, triggering each one at the appropriate marker...like this still. 

Hope that helps.
    Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 8.59.53 PM.png
    1874 x 678 - 294K
  • Another option would be to choose a style that has a dissolve built into it, like Springy Slide Left, then Unshy the text layers, click P to reveal the position property, then un-twirl and disable the expression.

You can play with the speed to slow down the dissolve if you want.

That might be quicker.
  • At this point- no- but we'll add that at some point (oddly no one has brought that up- but it makes total sense).
    Bummer ... hopefully you can do it soon!

While you're at it, what would REALLY be amazing is if you could use your own custom expressions. Or use an existing text layer as a "template" to generate the TM layers animation...

And it would also be great to have an Expression Control effect with sliders to adjust the variables hardcoded into the TM animations, i.e., speed, duration, etc. Then we could tweak the animation without rebuilding the whole thing. I often tweak layer positions/rotations/sizes, then if I want to adjust the speed it's a royal PITA.
  • Is there a method to have all the text stay in the composition dimensions? So if my comp is 1920 x 1080, I don't want any of the text to get cropped and/or disappear by being outside those dimensions.
    Check this expression tutorial out, will help you get that simple fade you want. http://provideocoalition.com/pvcexc/story/expression_shorts_-_auto_fade_layer
  • Thanks for reminding us...I know we have a list of features we want to add, but this one has to be at the top. We'll try to get it done as soon as possible.

Is there any way to do a simple "fade in" (opacity 0-100) for words, without any movement?
    Check this expression tutorial out, will help you get that simple fade you want. http://provideocoalition.com/pvcexc/story/expression_shorts_-_auto_fade_layer

• Is there a method to have all the text stay in the composition dimensions? So if my comp is 1920 x 1080, I don't want any of the text to get cropped and/or disappear by being outside those dimensions.
    JP- Try generating a layout without a camera, then just move the layers around...thats the best I can think of right now.

The latest version of TypeMonkey now has a Fade option

Hi Ze'ev- The newest version of TypeMonkey has a Fade...finally!

I would really like this feature added also.
  • just upgrade to 1.5 and ? and & no longer show up in Type Monkey...Am I missing something or did it never do that?  Thanks for your help.  I am in CC2014

• Yep something is screwy.  Went to CC with older version of type monkey and everything worked...just a reference point for you.
  • just upgrade to 1.5 and ? and & no longer show up in Type Monkey...Am I missing something or did it never do that?  Thanks for your help.  I am in CC2014

Hey Mrk- can u open up a support ticket- we'll get to the bottom of it. 
  • Yep something is screwy.  Went to CC with older version of type monkey and everything worked...just a reference point for you.
    ...and just so I understand the problem - make sure its not a font thing (like the font doesn't have those characters)..try switching fonts first.
  • My apologies for the alarm...it was the font.  Thanks for the heads up.  Own all the products.  LOVE all the products. Thanks again.
  • My apologies for the alarm...it was the font.  Thanks for the heads up.  Own all the products.  LOVE all the products. Thanks again.
    No problem...that sounded way too familiar. We've all been there.
  • Hello, I love TypeMonkey! My client sent me this video (Please ignore content only about he type)

Go to :49 seconds. Is there any way that TypeMonkey can do this type of text animation? The project I have is all touchy feely and If I could get a nice kenetic type text animation without all of the zooming and rotation. I tried grouping lines, but I would love for every word to animate on, but not have the zooming.

I hope what I am asking is understandable.
  • Hello, I love TypeMonkey! My client sent me this video (Please ignore content only about he type)

Go to :49 seconds. Is there any way that TypeMonkey can do this type of text animation? The project I have is all touchy feely and If I could get a nice kenetic type text animation without all of the zooming and rotation. I tried grouping lines, but I would love for every word to animate on, but not have the zooming.

I hope what I am asking is understandable.
    Hey David- Try it without the camera...thats the closes we can get I think.
  • Mr Zucker,

BRILLIANT! Worked like a CHARM
  • Mr Zucker,

BRILLIANT! Worked like a CHARM
    Nice!
  • TypeMonkey isn't responding..   enter text and hit "Do It"..   nothing..   the older version wasn't doing anything so I went and downloaded the newest version 1.5...  same result..  nothing...    running on AEcc 2014 on a windows machine.   Please help..
  • TypeMonkey isn't responding..   enter text and hit "Do It"..   nothing..   the older version wasn't doing anything so I went and downloaded the newest version 1.5...  same result..  nothing...    running on AEcc 2014 on a windows machine.   Please help..
    My gut reaction is to restart your computer and trash your preferences. Check the Knowledge base for more info...

Good luck!

• I'm having a problem when tweaking the timing of the markers on the TM Master Control layer. It seems that sometimes when I pull some of the markers closer together I get an error message saying that some scripts have been broken, which cancels any animation on the word I was changing the timing for.
    This is happening more and more often and even if I hit undo the error stays.

Wondering if you could help or if this is a commonly known bug?
  • I'm having a problem when tweaking the timing of the markers on the TM Master Control layer. It seems that sometimes when I pull some of the markers closer together I get an error message saying that some scripts have been broken, which cancels any animation on the word I was changing the timing for.
    This is happening more and more often and even if I hit undo the error stays.

Wondering if you could help or if this is a commonly known bug?
    Hi Stuart- I wouldn't call this a bug- its just the way Monkey scripts work. They're sensitive beasts...you just have to know how to get them to do what you want.

If you don't let them finish their move - or if you touch or cross over their markers bad things happen. Think Planet of the Apes, but much, much worse.

The workaround I'd recommend is to drag the comp in the project window into a new comp (don't pre-comp it - again- they don't like that). 

The copy the marker layer from the original comp into the new comp- for reference. Then time remap the monkey comp, putting keyframes at the markers you want to speed up., then adjust the timing from there.

See if that works.
  • If you drag a marker and drop it too close to another one, AE will eliminate one of them. That will cause there to be less markers than the Monkey expressions are counting on.

Dan
  • I apologise if that has already been addressed, but I have looked online and haven't found an answer.

Premiere Pro CC14 has removed the ability to analyse audio content for the sync to VO function of type monkey. Is there any way of using this workflow without the analyse content feature in PProCC14? Or will I need to work in an older version of Premiere?
    Thanks,

Alex
  • I apologise if that has already been addressed, but I have looked online and haven't found an answer.

Premiere Pro CC14 has removed the ability to analyse audio content for the sync to VO function of type monkey. Is there any way of using this workflow without the analyse content feature in PProCC14? Or will I need to work in an older version of Premiere?
    Thanks,

Alex
    really?
    I think Soundbooth does too- unless they removed it as well. : (

Thanks,

Alex
    You will need to install Premiere Pro CC 7.2.2. This article from Adobe explains how to do it, you can install it along side CC2014 without any issues: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/speech-analysis.html
  • I'm really loving TypeMonkey! But I have a quick question.

I applied TypeMonkey to a layer. But then I closed the TypeMonkey pane through the course of working. I now want to go back and make changes to my text, but when I open up the plugin (Window > TypeMonkey), it opens up a new instance of the plugin. Is there a way to edit the existing layout?

I'm using v1.15, in AE v2014.2 on a Mac

thanks,

Eric
  • I'm really loving TypeMonkey! But I have a quick question.
    I applied TypeMonkey to a layer. But then I closed the TypeMonkey pane through the course of working. I now want to go back and make changes to my text, but when I open up the plugin (Window > TypeMonkey), it opens up a new instance of the plugin. Is there a way to edit the existing layout?
    I'm using v1.15, in AE v2014.2 on a Mac
    thanks,
    Eric
    Hi Eric-
    Right now, the only way to edit a layout is manually.

However, you could save all your settings as well as the type and the key commands by clicking Save....it won't guarantee that you'll get the same layout everytime, but it might be pretty close....especially for sorter compositions.

BTW- you can unlock any word and change it like you would any normal text layer - MonkeyTools could help navigate that more easily.

Hope that helps.
    -oz
  • Ok, I see.  MonkeyTools will be a big help. Thanks Orrin!

E
  • Hey,

Having a bit of a problem with the Panel UI. When I go to open it, it doesn't fit entirely on my screen. Almost the entire bottom section is missing.
    Even when I dock the panel into the Interface.
    The bottom half of Type animation is not showing. Any ideas?
  • Hey,

Having a bit of a problem with the Panel UI. When I go to open it, it doesn't fit entirely on my screen. Almost the entire bottom section is missing.
    hey brian-
     can you post an image of what you're seeing?
  • Hey,

hey brian-

Weird. Having a problem uploading the image.

• Hey,

hey brian-

Weird. Having a problem uploading the image.

just sent you a private message...