Rubberize It!
  • You guys are true geniuses! This is magical and a whole heap of fun, both to use and to see the faces of clients when they view it for the first time :)

I'm off to bounce some stuff around!

Cheers,

Gaz

• You guys are true geniuses! This is magical and a whole heap of fun, both to use and to see the faces of clients when they view it for the first time :)

I'm off to bounce some stuff around!
    Thanks Gary....its nice to break out of the Monkey House every once in a while.
  • http://vimeo.com/113070554

This example of mine is not up to you guys' normal standard I know, but here's the first quick test I did with your brilliant Rubberize It (it saves so much hand-tweaking and time). I need to do some finessing of the puppet pins on this one, but hey, this script is absolutely amazing! Prepare for the world of motion graphics to Bounce :)

Cheers,
    Gaz

• Fabulous guys!

I'm rushing to the cart to buy it now!!!!

Also got to commend you guys for THE best videos and tutorials - some much time and effort in the design of these alone :)
  • I wish Adobe would improve the puppet pin tool though so it doesn't break with AI continuously rasterised and scaled layers!
  • I wish Adobe would improve the puppet pin tool though so it doesn't break with AI continuously rasterised and scaled layers!
    me too! 
    But in the meantime you'll have to pre-comp them first.
  • https://vimeo.com/113070554

This is not up to you guys' normal standard I know, but here's the first quick test I did with your brilliant Rubberize It (it saves so much hand-tweaking and time). I need to do some finessing of the puppet pins on this one, but hey, this script is absolutely amazing! Prepare for the world of motion graphics to Bounce :)Hi Gary- fine job!
    As I've experimented with Rubberize It! I noticed the placement of the pins can be pretty important...- if they're too close to the edge on fast moves there could be some unevenness (waviness around the edges) when they displace. You either need to add more pins or move them closer to the middle to fix that. Also , if you have clean pins too close to active ones on extreme moves, the active ones might squeeze past the clean pins and cause some spikiness...the fix there would be to change the material so it doesn't move so much. All these are very easy to fix, you just have to find the right balance of move to material...its actually pretty fun because you're never quite sure what forces come into play on any given animation.
  • Thanks for the valuable tips, Orrin. The joy of this script, as with MotionMonkey, is the exploration of all the multitude of variances you can get each time! As I mentioned, my quick test example is definitely not up there with the gems you guys produce, but it has opened the door for me to take the 'bounce' further, so thank you again for producing such fantastic products!

• Thanks for the valuable tips, 

If you're looking for more - check out the FAQs in the Knowledge Base...I'll be adding to this from time to time as I figure it out...also please send me some if you discover anything!
  • This looks like a must buy. Any tutorial videos to help me decide if it's suitable for me?
  • This looks like a must buy. Any tutorial videos to help me decide if it's suitable for me?
    Karel- The product page has 3 videos for you...under the big image at the top.
  • Awesome plugin, I'm having fun with it!

Thank you! 
  • During my quick play earlier I noticed that at the end of the animation of the rubberised layer, the layer suddenly snapped back into position i.e. The layer wobbled and settled down and then stopped moving then a moment later jumped to a new position or rather the puppet pins jumped to a new position. Is that a known issue or did I do something wrong?
  • During my quick play earlier I noticed that at the end of the animation of the rubberised layer, the layer suddenly snapped back into position i.e. The layer wobbled and settled down and then stopped moving then a moment later jumped to a new position or rather the puppet pins jumped to a new position. Is that a known issue or did I do something wrong?
    Can you open a support ticket and upload a video and the project (reduce the project if possible) that shows this so we can look into it?
    Paul- I agree with Lloyd- this doesn't sound like anything I've come across before. Would love to see it.
  • Bought this yesterday and I love it! Any way to automate the precomposing of layers for those layers that require precomping? Or add a button on the UI that precomps the selected layer? Would be a little bit of a time saver.
  • Not sure if this would be doable but it would be great if you can make a stationary object jiggle (like rubber or jello) when another object comes into contact with it. I know this would typically only be possible with dynamics but perhaps there's another way to do it?
  • Bought this yesterday and I love it! Any way to automate the precomposing of layers for those layers that require precomping? Or add a button on the UI that precomps the selected layer? Would be a little bit of a time saver.
    FIne idea...we'll put it on the list for an update (its a bit too soon since it just came out yesterday!) :)
  • Not sure if this would be doable but it would be great if you can make a stationary object jiggle (like rubber or jello) when another object comes into contact with it. I know this would typically only be possible with dynamics but perhaps there's another way to do it?
    There is! We go over it a bit in the Fake Physics and Rubberizing Newton sections in the FAQs posted in the Knowledge Base. Theres also a couple examples in the Sample AE project that came with the download. 

Basically the technique involves splitting the layer at the moment of impact and Rubberizing It. 

• I won't pester you with any more examples after this one:

https://vimeo.com/113146417 

A slightly more subtle use of Rubberize It! ;)

It's addictive... beware!

• I won't pester you with any more examples after this one:

https://vimeo.com/113146417  A slightly more subtle use of Rubberize It! ;) It's addictive... beware!
    Gary- We love to see what people are doing with it...

I'm not sure if you tried this, but heres a few suggestions:

1) Since this is a very slow move, check the fake physics  in the FAQs section I mentioned above. It give you more latitude with the rubberization on moves like this.

2) Experiment with the Formulas as well as Chaos. 

3) Try mixing multiple materials inside the bubbles...they create a pretty interesting effect. Thats how I did the red ball in the logo animation.
  • I've just found the extra info in the FAQs section, Orrin - so thanks heaps for the pointers - all your tutorials and knowledge base extras are brilliantly done and take it up so many levels :)
  • Really great idea! I loved it!
    I have just one suggestion: give us the option to hide this big "rubber guy" picture. It's wasting a lot of space on my UI and keeps to much attention too.
    Thanks for the great work.
    I have just one suggestion: give us the option to hide this big "rubber guy" picture. It's wasting a lot of space on my UI and keeps to much attention too.
    Thanks Robinson- we'll put that on the list...
  • I often working on multiple versions of After effects from CS5 to CC2014, is that a way to get a floating license for the plug in or a way to un register from one version and register to the other?   I have already installed in my cs5 but realised, I can't install it on my CC with the same license
  • I often working on multiple versions of After effects from CS5 to CC2014, is that a way to get a floating license for the plug in or a way to un register from one version and register to the other?   I have already installed in my cs5 but realised, I can't install it on my CC with the same license
    Hey Allen- can you open a support ticket? https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hey,
    getting weird behaviour right out of the box.

I've put a couple of puppet pins on a square solid and animated it's position (similar to the video)
    and I keep getting wobbly behaviour from the start - not at the end of the animation.
    Same behaviour if I do it on the asset bunny.

But if I let the first keyframe be Easy Ease it seems to work...
  • Hey,
    getting weird behaviour right out of the box.

I've put a couple of puppet pins on a square solid and animated it's position (similar to the video)
    and I keep getting wobbly behaviour from the start - not at the end of the animation.
    Same behaviour if I do it on the asset bunny.

But if I let the first keyframe be Easy Ease it seems to work...
    Yeah- Ease on the first keyframe works best because its based on acceleration. If you're using linear keyframes theres no acceleration going on and it gets a bit funky. 

Make sure the check the Tips and Tricks for more helpful hints: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/rubberize-it-/
  • I bought and installed Rubberize It! in the ScriptUI/ folder on my Windows 7 machine.  The window shows up in my AE 'windows' drop down, but the Ruberize It button doesn't do anything when I click on it while a Puppet pinned layer is selected (non continuously rasterized).  As well, I don't have a 'Clean' or 'Bake' button.

I'm running CC 2014.  Any ideas?

thanks,
    Gavin
    Capture.JPG
    227 x 310 - 21K
  • D-oh, sorry, I didn't have the window pulled down far enough to see the actual buttons below the Formula A&B buttons.  All good.  There is NOTHING to see here!  Go back to your homes. ;)

• Great script, I agree with Robinson's suggestion of giving us the option to hide the logo. It is taking up a lot of space in the UI and I find it visually distracting in my layout.

• Great script, I agree with Robinson's suggestion of giving us the option to hide the logo. It is taking up a lot of space in the UI and I find it visually distracting in my layout.
    noted...we'll wait a month or so to make our first update just to get feedback (unless theres a technical problem). Please send more comments when you have them.
  • Love your scripts! Any chance to get them ported to Cinema 4d as plugins in the future? That would be truly amazing :)
  • Love your scripts! Any chance to get them ported to Cinema 4d as plugins in the future? That would be truly amazing :)
    Theres was some talk of that when we put out TypeMonkey...Unfortunately, I don't think its possible.
  • Hi 
    I can't access my materials ! i followed the exact steps here and i can't get access to the drop down menu of the materials ! 
  • Hi 
    I can't access my materials ! i followed the exact steps here and i can't get access to the drop down menu of the materials ! 
    Weird- Can you open up a support ticket and we'll get to the bottom of it. Also, let us know if theres anything unusual about your set up...eg. are you working in an English version of AE?

https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Weird- Can you open up a support ticket and we'll get to the bottom of it. Also, let us know if theres anything unusual about your set up...eg. are you working in an English version of AE?
    I found out why, it's AE preferences. I got check the " enable Javascript debugger " on ... 
    Thank you for your help and for the amazing scripts you guys are creating 
  • I found out why, it's AE preferences. I got check the " enable Javascript debugger " on ...
    Thanks- for the help... We added that one to the FAQs.
  • Is it possible to make a rubberised layer wobble without moving it? That would be great - I have an animation I'm working on where I just want to wobble some elements without moving.

thanks!
  • Is it possible to make a rubberised layer wobble without moving it? That would be great - I have an animation I'm working on where I just want to wobble some elements without moving.

thanks!
    Hi Paul- there is a cheat that I go over in the Faking Physics section of Tips and Tricks https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/rubberize-it-/

Hi Joe- we just uploaded a new version with a smaller header, and an optional B&W header in the ? section. Its not completely hidden, but its a lot smaller. Hope that helps. 
    Hi Robinson- we just uploaded a new version with a smaller header, and an optional B&W header in the ? section. Its not completely hidden, but its a lot smaller. Hope that helps. 
  • Thanks Orrin,

Will have another look. I did watch it before but couldn't have taken it in!

BTW, I like the logo in the panel and as I always launch it from FT Toolbar, not an issue for me.
  • Thanks Orrin,

Will have another look. I did watch it before but couldn't have taken it in!

BTW, I like the logo in the panel and as I always launch it from FT Toolbar, not an issue for me.
    I think theres a sample in the AE file that comes with Rubberize It! too.
    ...and I like that logo too, but I understand the feedback about saving space. Just think of the big logo as a first edition- it'll be worth a fortune on Ebay one day.
  • Hey guys, thanks for the update. I think that an option to hide the logo is a good idea.
  • Is it possible to add motion as a feature one day e.g. An option to Maybe apply a slider to generate some wiggle without having to move the layer?
  • Is it possible to add motion as a feature one day e.g. An option to Maybe apply a slider to generate some wiggle without having to move the layer?
    Hey Paul- That actually was in the initial design, but we ran up against a few issues...firstly, no other expression can be applied to the pins. Second, you'd need to be able to control how long and how much it wiggles - or is it perpetual? So you can see its not as easy as its sounds....but we'll continue to think about it.

Keep those suggestions coming.
  • Hi Orrin,

To overcome the limitation of not being able to apply wiggle directly to the rubberized layer, I parented it to a null then applied wiggle to the null. It seems to work fine. Still not sure how to set the duration of the wiggle though on the null. Any thoughts?
  • If anyone is wanting to use wiggle to move the rubberized layer (and set the duration and intensity of the wiggle), you can do this by the following -

* Create rubberized layer
    * Create Null Object
    * Apply wiggle expression to the null property (ie.. position, rotation)
    * Create expression slider - (Effect/Expression Controls/Slider Control)
    * Highlight the wiggle amount in the expression (ie.. if your wiggle expression looks like wiggle(5,50) then highlight the 50 with the mouse)
    * Drag the expression pickwhip to the slider control
    * Adjust the value in the slider to increase the intensity of the wiggle and play back. The rubberized layer should now wiggle and jiggle
    * Adjust the timing and duration of the wiggle by seting keyframes on the slider control.

Here is a link with a project file (setup like above) for reference. The first wiggle is position and the second is rotation (both keyframed through sliders).

https://www.sendspace.com/file/q2583i

For a decent tutorial showing how to setup the expression sliders you can check this out -

There's probably an easier or better way to do this but my expression skills are really lacking and this was the best I could come up with :)

Cheers!
  • Here's another wiggle with rubberize project file using directional wiggle on the null.

[value[0],wiggle(1,100)[1]]

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5n1y0i