• Sorry I'm sort of an A.E. newbie here/it's been a while. How do I break it into "different comps"? Thanks!
  • You're computer might start choking after 100 layers or so...if thats the case, then break the layers into groups that make sense- or groups of 100ish. Then each of those are put in own comp. you can render those out and bring them all back again...or bring the comps into one big comp it and see if it works.

make sense?
  • The layer groupings would have to be done in Illustrator first I'm assuming? AE is not even importing my .ai file which has around 1200 layers...  Thanks Orrin for your help.
  • Yeah- thats probably not going to work....you're going to break it down into roughly 100 layers or so (you can experiment with higher numbers).

Or you can purchase a computer from the distant future, which should be able to handle it. :)
  • Ha thanks. Also is there any way to turn off specific animations, like the spin. I just want my animation to slide in, transition, but not spin.

• yeah- just select the motions you want...anything unchecked will not be active. check the tutorial- pretty straightforward. 
  • MotionMoneky Installation Question
    The instructions tell me where to put the .jsxbin file. = Good, clear. Done that.
    But there's also a "Presets" folder in the download.  What am I suppose to do with that and how do they work?

MonkeyTools Installation Question
    Where does the .jsxbin file go [there are no installation instructions either alone or in the user manual]?  Do they go in the [Mac] Scripts folder or in the ScriptUI Panels folder?
  • MotionMoneky Installation Question
    The instructions tell me where to put the .jsxbin file. = Good, clear. Done that.
    But there's also a "Presets" folder in the download.  What am I suppose to do with that and how do they work?

Hi Jeff- Those can be put anywhere...they don't get accessed automatically. You load them like you would load any saved MM set up....Click Load, navigate to the folder, then open.

Make sense?
  • I think so.  "Load" is something in the MM script GUI in AE? 
    What about Monkey Tools installation?

• I think so.  "Load" is something in the MM script GUI in AE? 
    What about Monkey Tools installation?

Yeah- Load and Save are both in the UI. MonkeyTools goes in the ScriptsUI Panels folder as well, and is a separate script altogether...it complements all the Monkey Scripts.
  • Motion Monkey is fantastic and saving me a ton of time. I have a question though: How do I save a generated sequence of moves and then apply it to another (same number of layers) object?
    I have a bunch of icons to animate but a few of them are very similar and ideally require the same sequence of motion. I've tried save/load but that just saves the UI choices. Do I have to manually unshy everything and option drag to swap out layers or is there an easier way?
  • Motion Monkey is fantastic and saving me a ton of time. I have a question though: How do I save a generated sequence of moves and then apply it to another (same number of layers) object?
    I have a bunch of icons to animate but a few of them are very similar and ideally require the same sequence of motion. I've tried save/load but that just saves the UI choices. Do I have to manually unshy everything and option drag to swap out layers or is there an easier way?
    Hey Roger- yeah, that sounds like the way to do it, unless you want to get fancy and create comps of each group of elements you want to replace and then duplicate the project and delete the elements you don't want.

For example, say you you want elements A & B to animate. Then you want elements 1 & 2 to animate the same way.

You'd place elements A & 1 in one comp, and B & 2 in another comp...then you'd animate those comps.

Then you can duplicate the project (or use True Comp duplicator) and delete 1& 2 from one project, and delete A & B from the other.

That sounds like it should work, but it takes a bit of time to set up...not sure if your method would be just as fast.

Hope that helps.
  • This plugin has been a great time saver. I'm wondering though if there'd be a way to put in an animate out feature and maybe combine the two so the elements can animate in, then out after a certain time.
  • Hi Orrin - 

Question regarding Motion Monkey - 

I have used MM in an animation for a client, much to my liking.  The agreement I have with the client is to deliver the After Effects project file to them with the finished product.  

Presumably they do not have MM on their machines.  Will they be able to open my comps and make edits?  What are the steps necessary for me to deliver the AEP to a third party that doesn't have this tool.  It's a great tool BTW!

Thanks,
    Glen
  • Hi Orrin - 

Question regarding Motion Monkey - 

I have used MM in an animation for a client, much to my liking.  The agreement I have with the client is to deliver the After Effects project file to them with the finished product.  

Presumably they do not have MM on their machines.  Will they be able to open my comps and make edits?  What are the steps necessary for me to deliver the AEP to a third party that doesn't have this tool.  It's a great tool BTW!

Thanks,
    Glen
    Hi Glen-

They won't need MM to open it, but it might be a real pain to make make edits.

One possibility is if you pre-comed each element first (Monkey Tools/Scene Maker can help), then build it using MM. 

Then your client could go into each pre-comp and sub out the elements there...you might have to crop to region of interest too...but not sure about that.

possible?
  • Very nice looking set of plugins indeed!. I am very new to After Effects in general. I am thinking that a bunch of Monkeys might be a easy way to achieve a end goal- simple dynamic informational elements, without becoming an AE 'expert' 
    Just wondering if that is a realistic proposal, or would I find myself completely confused without working on AE for a while first.
    I do have a background in nonlinear editing, so timelinesetc are all ok, and I can muddle through photoshop and inDesign ok...
    all the best,  Theo.
  • Very nice looking set of plugins indeed!. I am very new to After Effects in general. I am thinking that a bunch of Monkeys might be a easy way to achieve a end goal- simple dynamic informational elements, without becoming an AE 'expert' 
    Just wondering if that is a realistic proposal, or would I find myself completely confused without working on AE for a while first.
    I do have a background in nonlinear editing, so timelinesetc are all ok, and I can muddle through photoshop and inDesign ok...
    all the best,  Theo.
    Hi Theo- I think thats an accurate assessment...the Monkeys are good for all levels of expertise -
    just keep in mind that the more you know about AE, the more you can adjust things after the builds are done.

I suggest downloading some of the free trials and playing around with them - of course watching a tutorial or two wouldn't hurt either. ; )

• yes- the tutorials have been great- watch most of 'em. I'll download the trials then.
  • Any tips on countering the issues I'm having  - The sync markers and everything work fine (using a Null as my Marker Layer, and using basic text layers in a single comp). However, my problem is the animations START on the markers rather than END on the markers which means I've got to move the whole marker layer forward again to get it synced up.

Is there something I'm missing here?
    (Working on CC 2014)
  • Any tips on countering the issues I'm having  - The sync markers and everything work fine (using a Null as my Marker Layer, and using basic text layers in a single comp). However, my problem is the animations START on the markers rather than END on the markers which means I've got to move the whole marker layer forward again to get it synced up.

Is there something I'm missing here?
    (Working on CC 2014)
    Hi Ken-
    Nope- you're not missing anything. The markers that the Monkey scripts generate are designed to trigger the animations. The best thing to do is to slide the entire Monkey Marker layer back a little bit to get each animation to end closer to your marker sync layers..you might need to slide specific ones manually as well. But make sure not tor have one cross over another.

sorry- thats the best we can do right now...

Is there something I'm missing here?(Working on CC 2014)
    Hi Ken-
    Nope- you're not missing anything. The markers that the Monkey scripts generate are designed to trigger the animations. The best thing to do is to slide the entire Monkey Marker layer back a little bit to get each animation to end closer to your marker sync layers..you might need to slide specific ones manually as well. But make sure not tor have one cross over another.

sorry- thats the best we can do right now...

No problem at all!  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I'll adjust my workflow to compensate for this. Thanks again for such a solid product :)
  • Question here about Motion Monkey....I have 2 images in my comp and want to fade one image out while fading up the other image all while Motion Monkey is applied, how would I do that??
  • Question here about Motion Monkey....I have 2 images in my comp and want to fade one image out while fading up the other image all while Motion Monkey is applied, how would I do that??
    Hi Francee- MotionMonkey doesn't transition out (unless you play it backwards). I'd just go in and manually do that- either thru Opacity (T) or applying the Transform effect and key framing that.
  • Just got Motion Monkey. I like it, however got in trouble with an issue and I need help

I made a composition, applied the Motion on the layers. all good.

The text layers I applied the Motion on had a external file Source for the Text.

Once the animation is done, the Source Text feed from the external file does not work anymore... 

I bought MotionMonkey for the sole purpose to make serialized Videos with data fed from the external files 

please advise.
  • Just got Motion Monkey. I like it, however got in trouble with an issue and I need help

I made a composition, applied the Motion on the layers. all good.

The text layers I applied the Motion on had a external file Source for the Text.

Once the animation is done, the Source Text feed from the external file does not work anymore... 

I bought MotionMonkey for the sole purpose to make serialized Videos with data fed from the external files 

please advise.
    Hi Michael- can you open a support ticket and upload your project - we'd like to see if we can figure it out.

Thanks.

• Hi Michael- can you open a support ticket and upload your project - we'd like to see if we can figure it out.

Thanks.
    Where do I open the ticket? URL please

• Hi Michael- can you open a support ticket and upload your project - we'd like to see if we can figure it out.

Thanks.
    Where do I open the ticket? URL please
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Can I use After Effects layers in Motion Monkey? 
    Or do I have to use Illustrator files?
  • Can I use After Effects layers in Motion Monkey? 

Or do I have to use Illustrator files?
    Hey Delano- anything will work- download the free trial and give it a try.
  • Hi I'm having issues adjusting the markers, once I move them to shorten the time frame, glitches happens. I really like the motion Motion Monkey generated, and would like to keep them, if you have any tips for that?

This is the screen capture of the problem I'm encountering: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cym04fa0yer5ms/MotionMonkey_issue.mp4?dl=0
  • Grace Hsu said:
    Hi I'm having issues adjusting the markers, once I move them to shorten the time frame, glitches happens. I really like the motion Motion Monkey generated, and would like to keep them, if you have any tips for that?

This is the screen capture of the problem I'm encountering: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cym04fa0yer5ms/MotionMonkey_issue.mp4?dl=0
    Hey Grace-
    Strange- I'm not exactly sure why its doing that...I'm going to look into it and get back to you..it might be that it just doesn't have the time it takes to completes the move with the interpolation you chose.

In the mean time, I'd try rebuilding it. You should be able to get really close to what you need by doing a couple things:

-Shorten your work space

or

- Create a marker sync layer to get exact timings.

Hope that helps.
    -oz
  • Grace Hsu said:

Hi I'm having issues adjusting the markers, once I move them to shorten the time frame, glitches happens. I really like the motion Motion Monkey generated, and would like to keep them, if you have any tips for that?

Grace- can u open a support ticket and send s the project with the build in it? We’d like to check it out.
    Thx
  • So cool!

Thanks Nancy! It’s saved me a ton of time- hope it does the same for you.
  • Hey guys
    Thanx for the great work!
    I have an issue with motion monkey on Mac and AE 2021:
    "unable to execute script at line 6. null is not an object"
    Any clue?
    Thanx!!!

• Hey guys
    Any clue?
    Thanx!!!

Hey Greg- Could you open up a support ticket - I'd like to see a screen grab of what you're working on...also, make sure to download the latest copy. We'll take it from there.
  • Hey guys
    Any clue?
    Thanx!!!

Hey Greg- Could you open up a support ticket - I'd like to see a screen grab of what you're working on...also, make sure to download the latest copy. We'll take it from there.
    Ticket opened.
    Thanx

• HI,I downloaded the trial version and run it on ae2023, but there is no any animation. What is the reason?
  • QIN YANBO said:
    HI,I downloaded the trial version and run it on ae2023, but there is no any animation. What is the reason?

Hey Qin…hard to say. I’d have to see what your comp looks like. Could you open a support ticket, and send me some frame grabs of what you’re seeing? Oz
  • Orrin Zucker said: QIN YANBO said: HI,I downloaded the trial version and run it on ae2023, but there is no any animation. What is the reason?
    Hey Qin…hard to say. I’d have to see what your comp looks like. Could you open a support ticket, and send me some frame grabs of what you’re seeing? Oz HI,Orrin.
    I closed the position Separate Dimensions and it work.
    I think the problem is here :)
     (sorry for the google translate i used)
  • Great plugin. Barring me missing something in the plugin, I have some feature requests. 
    - The ability to control the distance of the slide. I want layers to start off the stage. 
    - The ability to slide "outward" or "inward" radially. 
    I don't see many comments here in the past year, so I'm unsure if this plugin is supported or has been deprecated by something else. 
  • Great plugin. Barring me missing something in the plugin, I have some feature requests. 
    - The ability to control the distance of the slide. I want layers to start off the stage. 
    - The ability to slide "outward" or "inward" radially. 
    I don't see many comments here in the past year, so I'm unsure if this plugin is supported or has been deprecated by something else. 
    Hey Sam- Great suggestions.
    While its still supported, we did build EditMonkey, thats a more robust version of MotionMonkey. Check that out.
    -oz
  • Is the M1 processor supported?
    thanks,
    tom