Ease and Wizz
  • Ian

I've been using your plugin for years... it's AMAZING. I see there's a new version, 2.0.5 but when I download it, the file is 2.0.1. How do I get the most recent version?

• Ian

I've been using your plugin for years... it's AMAZING. I see there's a new version, 2.0.5 but when I download it, the file is 2.0.1. How do I get the most recent version?

How to upgrade "Name Your Own Price" products.
  • Ian

How to upgrade "Name Your Own Price" products.
    Thank you Lloyd.
  • This is great! I just have one small issue.

How do I get the "Elastic" easing to hold still?

I want to be able to use the "In + Out" function as well as the "Keys: All" designation. But there is no way to get an animation to hold still. If I have two identical keyframes next to each other, it ads a bunch of wiggling in between. Help? The other animation types don't do that.
  • This is great! I just have one small issue.

How do I get the "Elastic" easing to hold still?

I want to be able to use the "In + Out" function as well as the "Keys: All" designation. But there is no way to get an animation to hold still. If I have two identical keyframes next to each other, it ads a bunch of wiggling in between. Help? The other animation types don't do that.
    Hi Brent, yes I'm aware of this problem … unfortunately I don't have an easy solution for you at this time. I'll have a think about it, in the meantime I'd suggest splitting the layer into two when there's no motion, and deleting the additional keyframes. You could save your motion on a guide layer, in case you need to come back to it. I know this is less than ideal – sorry about that! If I come up with an alternative I'll let you know. Ian
  • Oh just had a thought – you can get more control over expressions using Mamoworld's Expression Timeline. It lets you apply multiple expressions to one property, and limit the time that they're active. Worth checking out, maybe.
  • Thanks for the response Ian. Even if it's not the ideal one it's nice to know the developer is listening. I hope you can fix it! That'd be nice. The solutions you mention work in theory, but in practice, they take longer than it would for me to make my animations without using your application at all, and since I got it as a time-saving measure, that doesn't really work out.

I wish I could make a more detailed suggestion of how to fix it, but my javascript kung-fu is weak. Here is one thought, though... perhaps you could put the entire equation into an if / else expression? It could check to see if the keyframes change, and if it does, it runs the expression. If not, it just adds zero to the value of the property the expression is working on? Not sure if that would work or not.

Since this is a "pay what you want" plugin, I gave only a small amount to see if it would work for me rather than trying the demo. If I could get this function working, (even if I had to paste something into the code manually) I would buy it again with enough to reach your suggested price. I don't know if that makes it worth your time in and of itself, but I hope it helps! :)

Here is another thought - would you mind if I shared some of your code online to look for solutions? I want to be sure I don't violate your TOS, but I'd love to see if something can be done on this if you don't have the time.
  • Here is another thought - would you mind if I shared some of your code online to look for solutions? I want to be sure I don't violate your TOS, but I'd love to see if something can be done on this if you don't have the time.
    Please do not share the code online. Thank you.
  • Installed E&W properly (i think) but the special and out functions wont show up. Please help.
  • Installed E&W properly (i think) but the special and out functions wont show up. Please help.
    Hi Mason, can you please check that the Curvaceous checkbox is off? That affects which expressions you can apply. Otherwise perhaps you can DM me a screenshot and I'll see if I can figure out what's up. Ian
  • Heres one
    Untitled.png
    85 x 122 - 4K
  • also
    Untitled.png
    133 x 71 - 764B
    Untitled.png
    314 x 501 - 9K
  • I have been using this script for a long time, thank you. It's so amazing.

The only regret i have is not to be able to use Elastic and Back with Masks.

Do you think you will be release an update for that someday ?

• I have been using this script for a long time, thank you. It's so amazing.

The only regret i have is not to be able to use Elastic and Back with Masks.

Do you think you will be release an update for that someday ?

Hi Dimitri, thanks for your comment, I'm glad you like the script! 

I added Curvaceous so that you can use easing expressions with masks and curved motion paths. Unfortunately, however, the way that Curvaceous works is a bit of a hack – it tweens the timing rather than the actual motion. Because Elastic and Back actually overshoot their final destination, there's no way to interpolate what that would look like. If I figure out a way to do it I'll be sure to post an update.

Ian

• Hello,

First, great expression. 

Second, I'm having an issue that when applying Ease and Wizz (Expo/Out/All, 2.0.5 in CC), to a super which slides in over a 1 second duration (X and Position) the last frame jumps. It's smooth all the way to the last frame where it seems to move (enough to activate motion blur) too much in the close frames. Is there a way around this? One way I've found is to do type; IN + out. But unfortunately it's not the movement I'm after in this case.

Thank you
    Henry

• Hello,

First, great expression. 

Second, I'm having an issue that when applying Ease and Wizz (Expo/Out/All, 2.0.5 in CC), to a super which slides in over a 1 second duration (X and Position) the last frame jumps. It's smooth all the way to the last frame where it seems to move (enough to activate motion blur) too much in the close frames. Is there a way around this? One way I've found is to do type; IN + out. But unfortunately it's not the movement I'm after in this case.

Thank you
    Henry
    Hi Henry, thanks for the comment. This is a known issue when there is a large difference between the start and the end value – it seems to be a rounding error. I'm looking into it however and will be sure to let you know if I come up with a fix. 

In the meantime you could try replacing the easeandwizz_outExpo in the expression with the following, it isn't identical but it might suffice:

function easeandwizz_outExpo(t, b, c, d) {
    return (-Math.exp(-Math.log(c)/d * (t-d)) + c + 1) + b;
    }

Ian

p.s. is this Henry Gaunt from Sydney, by any chance?
  • With the expo easing expression finally fixed, this is officially the best script ever. Thank you so much for finally fixing the out expo bug. 

You're awesome!
  • With the expo easing expression finally fixed, this is officially the best script ever. Thank you so much for finally fixing the out expo bug. 

You're awesome!
    Love to hear this feedback! Thanks!. By the way for anyone having issues upgrading to the new version please read this: How to upgrade "Name Your Own Price" products

You're awesome!
    Hey John, that's great to hear – thanks! I'm glad you find it useful.

Ian
  • have the exact same problem Mason is having, i cant see the type: "OUT" or the elastic, bounce, etc effects :\ i wont post screenshoots of it, since Mason already did 
  • have the exact same problem Mason is having, i cant see the type: "OUT" or the elastic, bounce, etc effects :\ i wont post screenshoots of it, since Mason already did 
    Hi Diego, what version of Ease and Wizz and After Effects are you using? are you on Windows or OS X?
  • Any progress on maybe fixing the issue with the Elastic easing?
  • Any progress on maybe fixing the issue with the Elastic easing?
    Hi Brent, sorry but I haven't come up with a suitable solution for you as yet. I forgot to mention, did you try the "start and end" option under the "keys" popup menu? I tried it out with the elastic easing type and it seems to have done the trick. Otherwise, can I suggest you send me an example of what you're trying to do and I'll see if I can figure out a simple solution.

Ian
  • Yes, I tried "Start and End." This is a nice option, but doesn't replace what I wanted "All" to do. I just want "All" to behave the way it does with all the other styles, such as Bounce. With those types, the code does not add any extra movement between identical keyframes. I'm not sure why Elastic is an exception.

Here is a YouTube video I made that does my best to give a good example. You will probably need to watch it in fullscreen.

Notice the movement between keyframes 2 and 3 in the second half of the demo. That's the moment I need not to happen. I need a good way to get something to stay put with these settings. As currently designed, there is no way to get Elastic/All to stay put if there are more than two keyframes, which kind of eliminates the use of the setting in the first place.

Ease and Wizz is a really useful tool in my animations for automating styles of movement... but this one (which is otherwise my favorite) isn't very useful with all this erratic movement I get when I need something to hold still. :(

Thanks for looking! I'd sure love to get this going right. 
  • First off, the script is incredibly helpful, thanks.

I'm hoping you may consider updating it to allow a way to either change or stop expressions.

Commonly items need "in" only followed by "out" only or maybe no expressions in some areas. Slicing layers to accommodate this makes for a messy layer stack. A "pro" setting to manage this would be incredibly helpful. 

Thanks
  • Yes, I tried "Start and End." This is a nice option, but doesn't replace what I wanted "All" to do. I just want "All" to behave the way it does with all the other styles, such as Bounce. With those types, the code does not add any extra movement between identical keyframes. I'm not sure why Elastic is an exception.
    Here is a YouTube video I made that does my best to give a good example. You will probably need to watch it in fullscreen.

Notice the movement between keyframes 2 and 3 in the second half of the demo. That's the moment I need not to happen. I need a good way to get something to stay put with these settings. As currently designed, there is no way to get Elastic/All to stay put if there are more than two keyframes, which kind of eliminates the use of the setting in the first place.
    Ease and Wizz is a really useful tool in my animations for automating styles of movement... but this one (which is otherwise my favorite) isn't very useful with all this erratic movement I get when I need something to hold still. :(
    Thanks for looking! I'd sure love to get this going right. 
    Hi Brent, yes I can see the issue. I've got it down as something to investigate, so I'll update you if and when I make some progress in this area. I have an idea of how to fix it, hopefully it's not too difficult to implement! Ian
  • First off, the script is incredibly helpful, thanks.

I'm hoping you may consider updating it to allow a way to either change or stop expressions.

Commonly items need "in" only followed by "out" only or maybe no expressions in some areas. Slicing layers to accommodate this makes for a messy layer stack. A "pro" setting to manage this would be incredibly helpful. 

Thanks
    Hi Josh, thanks for your comment, I'm glad you find it useful. I agree that sometimes it would be handy to mix easing types on the one property – unfortunately it's a non-trivial thing to implement, but if I get some time I'm keen to look into it. Other people have reported that https://aescripts.com/expression-timeline/ can be helpful to achieve what you're after. Thanks, Ian
  • Hi

Isn't possible to have an ease in on begin keyframes and ease out on end keyframes, these are situations I encounter in the most simple animations..Thanks for info

Bert
  • Hi

Isn't possible to have an ease in on begin keyframes and ease out on end keyframes, these are situations I encounter in the most simple animations..Thanks for info

Bert
    Please open a support ticket so we can help you with this issue. https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi, having the same issue as a few other people, it looks like the drop down menus aren't big enough to fit the options in. Using Windows 8/CC14 2.06

Is this something possible to fix?
    Thanks,
    James
    Untitled-1.jpg
    264 x 310 - 42K
  • Hi, having the same issue as a few other people, it looks like the drop down menus aren't big enough to fit the options in. Using Windows 8/CC14 2.06

Is this something possible to fix?
    Thanks,
    James
    Hi Chris, unfortunately it's not something I've been able to replicate. I'll get my hands on Windows 8 and grab a trial of AE to experiment on – I'll come back to you (and the other people experiencing this problem) when I have a solution. Thanks for letting me know. Ian
  • Hello! I want to know, if I use this Script to made a Project in Ae, is needed have this Script to open correctly the project in ohter computer which no have this Script? Thais is, the Script is based only in expressions and can be opened in any computer with Ae without Ease and Wizz?
  • Hello! I want to know, if I use this Script to made a Project in Ae, is needed have this Script to open correctly the project in ohter computer which no have this Script? Thais is, the Script is based only in expressions and can be opened in any computer with Ae without Ease and Wizz?

No you don't.
  • i followed the installation instructions literally , but while i'm working on my project and after i hit the apply key , it hits me with this message ( i can't find this file: 'outelastic -easeandwizz -all.js'. ) ....... what does that means , please help ....!  
    i'm a Windows user ..
  • i followed the installation instructions literally , but while i'm working on my project and after i hit the apply key , it hits me with this message ( i can't find this file: 'outelastic -easeandwizz -all.js'. ) ....... what does that means , please help ....!  
    i'm a Windows user ..
    Hi Khaled, the script is looking for a folder named "easingExpressions", which needs to be located in the same folder as the Ease and Wizz script. The error message you're seeing should say "I looked in here" followed by the path that it expected. Please check that the easingExpressions folder is in the ScriptUI Panels folder, and contains .js files (135 of them, by my count). Ian
  • Using the latest version 2.0.6, I find the same small jump in the beginning when applied inExpo.
  • can anybody help please i do as it said , i followed the all instructions but when i click apply this message appear
  • Using the latest version 2.0.6, I find the same small jump in the beginning when applied inExpo.
    Hi Nobuyuki, that's interesting – I wasn't aware that the problem occurs on inExpo. I'll have a look into it and see if I can figure out a similar fix to the outExpo problem. 

Ian
  • can anybody help please i do as it said , i followed the all instructions but when i click apply this message appear
    Hi Khaled, sorry it's still not working for you. Here is a tutorial on installation specifically for Windows users – it's a few years old now but it's still relevant. Perhaps grab a fresh installation from aescripts.com/ease-and-wizz and then try the tutorial. Make sure the files in the easingExpressions don't have spaces in their names. Feel free to send me a screenshot of the folder if it's still not working.

Ian

For Nobuyuki – and anyone else – who has experienced a jump when using inExpo (or inOutExpo): Ease and Wizz 2.0.7 should fix this error.

Ian
  • Is it just my download of the 2.0.7 ZIP being crazy, or are the curvaceous .js files missing from the latest version? 
  • Is it just my download of the 2.0.7 ZIP being crazy, or are the curvaceous .js files missing from the latest version? 
    Hi James, no you're right! I had mistakenly uploaded a testing version of the easingExpressions folder. It's now been fixed up, please re-download and let me know if you have any further problems.

Ian
  • Hi,

The bouncing effects aren't showing up in the list. Any idea as to why?

I'm looking in the easingExpressions folder and everything seems to be there.

I'm running CC 2015 on a Win10 Build 10162 machine.
  • Is there any way to access the 'elastic' expression when animating a path? I have access to 'bounce,' but elastic disappears when I click 'curvaceous.' Thanks so much!
  • Hi, I wanted to know if its possible to set some kind of configuration, or anything, that make the moviment desaccelerate before hitting the end position, but coming almost to a halt, I want to make some moves that starts fast, and slow down gradually.
  • Hi,
    The bouncing effects aren't showing up in the list. Any idea as to why?http://puu.sh/iYqkH/48caef4541.png
    I'm looking in the easingExpressions folder and everything seems to be there.http://puu.sh/iYruW/7346ecc9b3.png

I'm running CC 2015 on a Win10 Build 10162 machine.
    Hi Nick, sorry for the delayed reply, I didn't seem to get a notification for this message like usual. I can't reproduce this problem on my Windows setup (a virtual machine running Windows 10). Attached is a pic of your example, next to my example – the text on the menu looks quite different. 

Are you aware of changing anything that would affect the display of the text on Windows? I believe our setups are identical – I'm also using CC 2015 on Windows 10, so I don't understand why the text would display so differently. I'll check it out with some Windows users as well and see if I can find out more.

Ian
    Ease-and-Wizz-windows-comparison.jpg
    501 x 255 - 22K
  • Is there any way to access the 'elastic' expression when animating a path? I have access to 'bounce,' but elastic disappears when I click 'curvaceous.' Thanks so much!
    Hi Issara, unfortunately this is a limitation of the curvaceous effect. It tweens the time, rather than the values, which is a workaround so that it will work on paths. I think it would be possible to cheat it by setting up the path animation in a nested composition, turn off curvaceous, enable time-remapping, and apply the elastic expression to the time remap property. 

Let me know if you need more info and I will endeavour to help out! 

Ian
  • Hi, I wanted to know if its possible to set some kind of configuration, or anything, that make the moviment desaccelerate before hitting the end position, but coming almost to a halt, I want to make some moves that starts fast, and slow down gradually.
    Hi Leandro, for that level of fine control I would recommend the graph editor. Ease and Wizz is good for basic easing effects, but nothing beats the graph editor for custom motion.

Ian
    Hi Leandro, for that level of fine control I would recommend the graph editor. Ease and Wizz is good for basic easing effects, but nothing beats the graph editor for custom motion.

Ian
    I'm looking for a similar functionality, I want a movement that starts fast, slows down in the middle and speeds up again. Basically an inverted version of an ease-in-ease out. Or is there and easy way to adjust the 'expo' script manually for instance to invert the motion/easing?

Love Ease and Wizz by the way, use it all the time! 

Best regards, Tomas