Pre-Compose Geek 2
  • Pre-Compose Geek 2
    Pre-Compose Geek 2

https://aescripts.com/pre-compose-geek/

Version 2 with a new beautiful UI! Pre-composes your shots, automatically trimming and naming them based on your selected prefix. It also places each pre-comp in a dedicated folder, adds handles and places a digital cut and has even more features. Checkout the full feature list at the product description section.

• encountering an issue at end of the process. CLOSE button is not working.

thoughts?
  • Hi David,

Are you running the script as Script UI Panel? If so, you might encounter this issue.

A possible workaround is the close the panel using the "X" button on the script window title.

We'll provide a fix shortly.

Thanks, Erez.
    MotionGeeks.com
  • Thanks Erez

Yes, running as a UI panel. Thanks for your attention to the matter.
  • Will this be compatible with CC?

Kevin
  • Hi Kevin,

Thank you for contacting us, we're happy to find you're interested in our product.

Supporting AE CC is unfortunately depends on Adobe to fix major issues relates to script development, we follow AE CC updates frequently to provide a supported version ASAP.

Thanks, Erez.

www.motiongeeks.com

• It seems does not work when it launched from ft-toolbar2, would you help to advise. If it can only launch from run script or window panel, don't make me productive.
  • Hi Yohanes,

Thanks for contacting us, we'll certainly look into it and keep you updated.

Meanwhile, as you mentioned, I may suggest running the script as a Script UI Panel by placing it in the <After Effects / Scripts / Script UI Panels> folder, that makes it one menu command away.

Thanks, Erez.

• Hi Erez,
    I don't thing just put into the Script UI Panel folder will solve my problem, I already have long list script in this window panel, it is already hard to search by scrolling this window, slow down the work which I have many thing to pre-comp.
    Appreciate if you can expedite the update, I guess it is not difficult for you since all other scripts I used no problem with ft-toolbar2 launcher.

• Hi Yohanes,

We've tested Pre-Compose Geek 2 launching from ft-toolbar2 on both Windows and Mac with different AE versions and the script launched successfully on all scenarios.

Could you please make sure both "Pre-compose Geek.jsx" and "PreComposeGeek.swf" (shipped within the ZIP you purchased) are on the same folder you point with ft-toolbar2? this is essential for the script to run.

If it still doesn't work could you please email us to [email protected] the following:
    1. Your OS (Windows, OSX)
    2. OS version
    3. AE version
    4. AE language
    5. What exactly doesn't work (isn't it launches? is it launched with error?)
    6. A screenshot of what's not working
    7. Any details error message if appears

Thanks, Erez.

www.motiongeeks.com
  • This plugin has become essential to my workflow, and I'm heartbroken that it's broken with Creative Cloud.

Does anyone know of an alternative?
  • Hello,

I am writing to motiongeeks here, as mail to [email protected] is bouncing back.

I've copied "Pre-Compose Geek.jsx" and "PCG2Desktop" into the the 'ScriptUI Panels' folder, but opening the script gives me an empty panel:

I'm running AE 12.2.0.52 (english) with Mac OS X 10.7.5 and this is pre-compose_geek_v2.1.1

If it helps, when the panel first opens it flashes black first before going to the grey background, as if it's trying to load the desktop but failing.

thanks
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for contacting us.

In your Documents folder there is a subfolder named PreComposeGeek2, it contains logging information that can help us investigate the problem you experiences and provide help, could you please ZIP it and email it to us?

I just validated "[email protected]" and it seems to work fine, you may try sending to it again or email me directly to [email protected]

I'll be glad if you could attache the screenshot you included in the original message, currently it appears broken...

Thanks, Erez.
  • Hi Erez,

Have just tried to upgrade to version 2 for use with AE CC (12.2.1.5) and the Pre-Compose Geek script doesn't seem to want to help me any more; when trying to run it a palette is opened as expected but there is no content on the palette. Will email the logs as you requested of "Tony Hudson" below but thought I should post here in case others are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks in advance,
    -Chris
  • Is there anyway this can be made back into a dockable window like the first version?
    I love being able to panel it along with a bunch of other scripts i run
  • Hi Jasic,

Sorry, but it won't be possible at the moment.

We had to made that change following AE CC compatibility issues, Pre-Compose Geek now runs as an external application and not as part of AE user interface.

Thanks, Erez.
  • I just downloaded the latest version, 2.1.2, and it will not work in AE CC v12. It works fine in CS6, but not CC. I run the script, the application/swf window pops up, and once I hit 'go' nothing happens. Literally - the PreCompose Geek window disappears and nothing else happens. In CS6 however it works fine. I'm on Mac Pro tower, OSX 10.9.3, running AECC 12.1.2. "Allow scripts to write" preference is on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • Update: It appears you can not run the script with any locked layers in your composition. I had a template layer at the bottom that was locked, that seemed to mess things up (at least, I think that was the problem).
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for reporting, I guess that's right, we'll take a closer look into that.

Thanks, Erez.
    Motion Geeks.
  • Doesn't work with AE CC 2014.2

"Unable to execute script at line 1. Expected: ]"

Windows 7 x64
  • Hi Jaemie,

We tested the script on AE 2014.1 (which is the latest one at the moment as far as we can tell) and it seems to work fine, could you please open a support ticket with the following:
    • Any relevant screenshot
    • A screenshot of AE About dialog, you may display it by Help menu -> About After Effects
    • Does the error appears after or prior the script window opens?
    • Does the script works with other / new AE project?
    • Is this AE English version (or other language)?
    The readme file shipped within the ZIP file contains detailed information on how to install the script, please make sure you follow the steps in case you haven't done so yet.

Best, Erez.

• Same Problem with AE CC win8 x64

"Unable to execute script at line 1. Expected: ]"
  • Hi monichi,

Thanks for contacting us, could you please open a support ticket and provide the following info to help us investigate your problem?

Any relevant screenshot
    A screenshot of AE About dialog, you may display it by Help menu -> About After Effects
    Does the error appears after or prior the script window opens?
    Does the script works with other / new AE project?
    Is this AE English version (or other language)?

Best, Erez.
  • Hi, I am using Pre-Compose with CC. My problem the "add handle length" feature is greyed out... Thanks for your help, JOchen
  • Hi Jochen,

Thanks for contacting us, could you please provide the following info to help us investigate your problem?
    Any relevant screenshot
    A sample project you have that problem with
    Does the script works with other / new AE project?
    Is this AE English version (or other language)?
    In your Documents folder there is a subfolder named PreComposeGeek2, it contains logging information that can help us investigate the problem you experiences and provide help, could you please ZIP it and email it to us?

Best, Erez.
  • Feature request: (re)name precomps by prepending current layer name (instead of a number sequence) with the optional prefix, so there's no need to identify and rename them afterwards.
  • Hi Jarno,

Thanks for the feature request, we'll certainly consider it in later version.
    Best, Erez.
  • Is there any other tool or script like this that we can use in current AE version?
  • Discontinued !!!      :(

What are the alternatives ?

AE version is currently at 2021