Explode Shape Layers 3
  • Hey Zack, one more thing that crossed my mind that would make this script even more invaluable. You know how AE will create layers above the currently selected layer nowadays? Well it still sends recently converted shape layers to very top of the stack. If you could brew up some scripting magic to create shape layers above the AI layer when I push the button on your script, that would save SO much time.
  • Hey Zack, one more thing that crossed my mind that would make this script even more invaluable. You know how AE will create layers above the currently selected layer nowadays? Well it still sends recently converted shape layers to very top of the stack. If you could brew up some scripting magic to create shape layers above the AI layer when I push the button on your script, that would save SO much time.

Great idea! Will add it into the next version.
  • As of today's release (v3.1), converted layers now move above the AI layer and no longer have 'Outlines' in the name!
  • I have some follow up questions more in
    conjunction of using ESL3 with the rd_ShapesToMasks script (rd
    scripts at http://www.redefinery.com/index.php
    ) and Element 3D. I'm using the CS6 Suite of products.

With E3D in After Effects, one can use
    either the original AI layer or converted Shapes to use as a
    Replicator Array. To extrude the shapes however, 3D3 requires masks.

The problem I'm having is with the rd_
    script in that it creates a new layer with the masks, but everything
    is shifted by ½ the comps dims on +X and +Y. In an HD comp. That
    means shifting X back 960 px and Y up 540, basically just zeroing out
    the X.Y position of the layer. So, you end up with the layers center
    point at the upper left corner of the comp. Not a major issue as the
    layer visibility is getting turned off anyway, but this has to be
    done with each new Mask layer, nor can I use the Merge tool with ESL
    then follow up with the rd_ script.

I'm just wondering if there's a trick
    or technique I'm missing that can eliminate that step. I don't
    program and although the scripts are in text, I can't decipher what's
    going on internally to cause the new layers masks to do that.

• Hey Mark-- if you check out the 'known issues' of rd_ShapesToMasks the first comment there reads:
    • This script assumes you have just used the Create Outlines menu command, so any shape filters or restructuring of the shape layer’s Contents will either be ignored or cause problems.

So, it won't work with merge as merge necessarily restructures the shape layer contents (makes a new group for each original layer, if merging full layers not specific groups). You could try to ungroup after a merge and see if that works, but if that doesn't work I'd suggest getting in touch with redefinery.
  • OK.  Thanks.  I might do that.  Seems odd that the script would have that behavior as its normal behavior so wonder if there's a step I'm missing such as including a shape that's the same size as the comp.

Thanks
  • Hmm I cant seem to find how to get the names transfered from AI to AE. I have named the layers in Illustrator, also the layer name of path. Then into explode layer but all layers show up as Group #.

Tried Append layer name, same result. Cant seem to find this (simple?) process in your tutorial or faq. Thanks for answering.
  • Hmm I cant seem to find how to get the names transfered from AI to AE. I have named the layers in Illustrator, also the layer name of path. Then into explode layer but all layers show up as Group #.

Tried Append layer name, same result. Cant seem to find this (simple?) process in your tutorial or faq. Thanks for answering.
    When you convert a vector layer to a shape layer, AE doesn't really 'convert,' it rebuilds the shape's path, fill and stroke from scratch, losing things like specific element names & opacity data in the process.

To preserve layer names (not specific object names), in AI separate each object to its own layer, and name the layers appropriately. When you import the .ai as a layered composition within After Effects, you'll see that each layer carries its name.

(Note that if you convert any of the layers at this point, only the top-level layer will be named, and all component objects will be 'Group 1, 2, 3,' etc)
  • I have a script that converts SHAPES to MASK's, but wouldnt it be a great feature for this script as well? 
  • Yes it would.  Don't suppose you'd post a link to the script you have Miika?

I've been in touch with Jeff at refinery and sent him a sample file to look at regarding his script that does convert but offsets everything as mentioned above.  I'll post his findings when I hear back.
  • Yes it would.  Don't suppose you'd post a link to the script you have Miika?

I've been in touch with Jeff at refinery and sent him a sample file to look at regarding his script that does convert but offsets everything as mentioned above.  I'll post his findings when I hear back.
    Here: http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_ShapesToMasks so your alread on it as you've been in contact to redefinery.
  • Random Feature Request: When you convert a layer if it could automatically make the original AI file shy and hide it. I don't know if I'd be the only one that would find that useful or not! I often want to keep my AI files, but I don't want to see them in my layer stack. 
  • Random Feature Request: When you convert a layer if it could automatically make the original AI file shy and hide it. I don't know if I'd be the only one that would find that useful or not! I often want to keep my AI files, but I don't want to see them in my layer stack. 

Well, currently if you convert it'll hide the layer. If you have 'delete layers' enabled in the options, it'll delete it / remove it from the stack. The problem with shying is that other scripts use shy, and depending on your setup that can confuse things quite a bit; I feel this method of 'hide or delete' is much more transparent for the user.

What are your thoughts?

Well, currently if you convert it'll hide the layer. If you have 'delete layers' enabled in the options, it'll delete it / remove it from the stack. The problem with shying is that other scripts use shy, and depending on your setup that can confuse things quite a bit; I feel this method of 'hide or delete' is much more transparent for the user.

What are your thoughts?
    Yeah, that makes sense! What about an option to move it to the bottom of the stack? I find when I have 10 layers or more I want to convert, it gets a little messy so I manually move them. I guess I could always just enable the delete option, but sometimes I like being able to go back to the AI file and kick out another shape layer. 
  • Hi everyone, I'm writing just to let you guys know that while trying the script I realise that merging multiple shape layers to one it's not maintaining the keyframe velocity/ease, at least not in the trial version. Am I the only one having this issue?

zl_ExplodeShapeLayers: 3.3.1 Trial
    After Effects: 13.5.1.48

Anyway thanks for this script, it's great. :)
  • Hi everyone, I'm writing just to let you guys know that while trying the script I realise that merging multiple shape layers to one it's not maintaining the keyframe velocity/ease, at least not in the trial version. Am I the only one having this issue?

Hey David-- interesting find, thanks for letting me know! Will make a note and fix this as soon as I get a chance.
  • Hello there.. 
    When i go to settings and make any change and click OK, After Effects CC 2015 crashes.. 
    Anything am doing wrong? 

Great Script 
    Thank you.. 
  • Hello there.. 
    When i go to settings and make any change and click OK, After Effects CC 2015 crashes.. 
    Anything am doing wrong? 

Great Script 
    Thank you.. 

Hey Alexandros, this comes from a bug in CC2015 and was fixed in the June 18th 2015 update (ESL v3.2.1); can you update to the latest version (ESL v3.3.1) and let me know if it's still happening?
  • Hello there.. 
    Anything am doing wrong? 

Great Script 
    Thank you.. 

Hey Alexandros, this comes from a bug in CC2015 and was fixed in the June 18th 2015 update (ESL v3.2.1); can you update to the latest version (ESL v3.3.1) and let me know if it's still happening?
    Thanx.. Its all ok now.. My bad.. I thought i was up to date.. 
  • Hey there –

love the script! It saves me quite some time when working with Illustrator files ...

I am using 3.3.1 in AE CC 2014 and have a workflow question: I am converting lots of AI Files to Shape Layers. When I want to extract 5 out of 20 groups and combine them to a new layer, right now I select the 5 groups, click explode (while having the "use all shapes" option disabled and "delete source" option enabled) and end up with a new layer for each shape. So far so good.

If I want those 5 layers merged in one layer, I now have to go into the options and enable "use all shapes" and hit "merge".

Is there a faster method to extract a certain number of groups and move them in a new layer? Using my workflow, I constantly have to toggle the "use all shapes" option – which would be easier, if it were outside the options pop-up in the main panel.

Thanks for your help – cheers!

• If I want those 5 layers merged in one layer, I now have to go into the options and enable "use all shapes" and hit "merge".

Is there a faster method to extract a certain number of groups and move them in a new layer?
    Hey Bastion!

Disable 'Use All', select those groups and hit 'Merge' -- this will merge the selected groups into one new layer, which seems to be what you're after.

Zack
  • I just have to say that I've been using AI layered files a lot and this script has saved me many many hours of preparation of my AI files before I work with them in AE.

Thanks so much for this script. Well worth it!!!

Steve
  • Thanks Steve! Glad it works so well for you!
  • Hello, i would like to know if its possible to select all strokes or fills in multiple layers instead of 1 by 1. It would be really a time saver :) thanks a lot
  • Hello, i would like to know if its possible to select all strokes or fills in multiple layers instead of 1 by 1. It would be really a time saver :) thanks a lot
    Hey Thanos!

As in the readme, if you hold SHIFT while clicking either 'Select Fills' or 'Select Strokes,' ESL will select all of that type in the current comp.
  • Hey Zack! 
    I don't know if you're still doing updates for this, but I have a bug report. In CC when you put this scrip in a stacked panel it crashes HARD!! 

Best,
    TJ :) 
  • Hey Zack! 
    I don't know if you're still doing updates for this, but I have a bug report. In CC when you put this scrip in a stacked panel it crashes HARD!! 

Best,
    TJ :) 

Hey Taylor! Can you open a support ticket? Definitely not supposed to happen!
  • Love this tool so much. It's indispensable!

Two requests, if possible:
    Could the "convert vector to shape layer" button be included as a Headless script for ft-toolbar? Your button works so much better than the normal way in AE.
    Also, if there was an option to automatically remove the " Outlines" from the shape layer name after converting, that would be great.

I currently run Global Renamer to remove the " Outlines" from every shape layer name, but if it happened automatically after converting then it would be a step saved in my workflow.

Cheers.

• Ben Pohl said:
    Love this tool so much. It's indispensable!

Two requests, if possible:
    Could the "convert vector to shape layer" button be included as a Headless script for ft-toolbar? Your button works so much better than the normal way in AE.
    Also, if there was an option to automatically remove the " Outlines" from the shape layer name after converting, that would be great.

I currently run Global Renamer to remove the " Outlines" from every shape layer name, but if it happened automatically after converting then it would be a step saved in my workflow.

Cheers.

Hey Ben!

Thanks for the kind words!

This is coming in a future update, aiming to have it out by the fall. Will release with the main script, as well as a dedicated script for each button (for ft-toolbar use).

Z
  • what do you mean? 

Use All is enabled; only select shape layers!

i try a demo on CS5

thanks so much 

i cant convert any vector layer t shape 

Thanks 

• i cant convert any vector layer t shape  

Hey Luca! Sorry about that-- please open a support ticket and we'll see what I can do. Thanks!
  • Thanks so much for this script! It's been essential to my workflow, sometimes I forget it's not part of AE. Any way to add an option where the exploded shape layers will automatically parent to a new null layer? I find myself doing that over and over again anyway.

Also, sometimes when exploding, the script seemingly opens another comp in the timeline. Haven't noticed a pattern as to when it does or doesn't. 
  • Thanks so much for this script! It's been essential to my workflow, sometimes I forget it's not part of AE. Any way to add an option where the exploded shape layers will automatically parent to a new null layer? I find myself doing that over and over again anyway.

Also, sometimes when exploding, the script seemingly opens another comp in the timeline. Haven't noticed a pattern as to when it does or doesn't. 
    Thanks for the kind words! Yeah that's something I can definitely look to adding in a future release!

Re: opening other comps -- I've heard of this but have been unable to reproduce. Only thing I can suggest at the moment is to ensure that the target comp is selected in the project panel, and try closing any other comps and see if that helps? Not really sure -- if it's still prevalent, open a support ticket and I'll see what I can do!
  • hi!
    i'm just bought the license code for this explode script and it's not working.
    after I paste or type it in,
    the warning says: ERROR: system doesn't find the file.
    then:
    access denied
    Unable to execute script at line 1. undefined is not an object

and it's in the right place in ScriptUiPanels.
    the trial is working

I1m using ae CC 2015.2
    thx for your help,
    best
    v

• Hi

Great Script. One question, are you allowed to install on work and home PC? I'm the only user on both.

• Hi,

Although I was able to do it before, it seems that the plugin won't let me select all strokes from the comp at once anymore. Although I DO have "Use all shapes" selected in the settings, I have a message saying "select at least 1 shape layer!" when I hit the select stroke button.

Any idea why this is happening. The only thing that changed since I last used it is I updated my AE version (I'm using AE 2015.3). Could that be related?

I really hope to figure this out! Thank you for your help!

• Marie BL said:
    Hi,

Although I was able to do it before, it seems that the plugin won't let me select all strokes from the comp at once anymore. Although I DO have "Use all shapes" selected in the settings, I have a message saying "select at least 1 shape layer!" when I hit the select stroke button.

Any idea why this is happening. The only thing that changed since I last used it is I updated my AE version (I'm using AE 2015.3). Could that be related?

Hey Marie!

Sorry for the confusion. "Use All Shapes" doesn't affect these guys!

With Select Strokes and Select Fills:
    • Clicking the button selects all strokes/fills on current layer
    • Holding Shift selects all strokes/fills in the active comp
    • Holding Alt selects all strokes/fills with the same colour
    • (And Alt & Shift together selects all strokes/fills in the active comp with the same colour)
    The behaviour of 'use all' will be made more clear in a future update.
  • Marie BL said:
    Hi,

Hey Marie!

Sorry for the confusion. "Use All Shapes" doesn't affect these guys!

With Select Strokes and Select Fills:
    • Clicking the button selects all strokes/fills on current layer
    • Holding Shift selects all strokes/fills in the active comp
    • Holding Alt selects all strokes/fills with the same colour
    • (And Alt & Shift together selects all strokes/fills in the active comp with the same colour)
    The behaviour of 'use all' will be made more clear in a future update.
    Oh ok thanks! I was convinced I didn't have to hold shift to select all strokes/fill in the comp before though... I must have hallucinated! Sorry about that and thanks for the fast clarification!
  • Love this script, I use it for almost every project, thanks !
    Does this (or anything similar) exist for Psd layers too..?
  • hi Zack,

Thanks for making Explode Shape Layer! I'm trying to get your script to work with the Shape Repeater Baker https://aescripts.com/shape-repeater-baker, but don't understand what Headless Versions subfolder of Explode Shape Layer is or where to find it.

"you have to put Shape Repeater Baker and zl-Explode Shape Layer (with its "Headless Versions" subfolder) into ScriptUI Panels folder"

Thanks for your help!
  • I'm trying to get your script to work with the Shape Repeater Baker https://aescripts.com/shape-repeater-baker
    Hey Veronika!

Unfortunately, this only worked with a much, much older version of Explode Shape Layers; this integration no longer exists.

Best, 

Z
  • Hi Zack

I would like to purchase your script, and I have attempted to use the trial version with AE CS5.5. I was unable to convert an AI vector to shape layer.  Since Adobe only made this capable in CS6, does this mean the conversion option will not work with your script?

• Pam Green said:
    Since Adobe only made this capable in CS6, does this mean the conversion option will not work with your script [in CS5.5]?

That's correct -- convert is only supported in CS6+.
  • Started getting the following error when attempting to start the script:

"Unable to execute script at line 1. book is undefined"

thoughts?
  • Started getting the following error when attempting to start the script:

"Unable to execute script at line 1. book is undefined"

thoughts?
    Hey Ryan!

Sorry about that, seems weird. Can you ensure that it's ESL, and nothing else? If so, please open a support ticket for help with this issue, and be sure to mention which version of ESL you're using: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1&product_id=659

I am unable to give technical support on this comment board.
  • Hey Zack thanks for responding. So here're my cards:

This is happening when I try to load any third party script not just ESL. I tried to contact Adobe directly via my CC account but to my extreme annoyance they've refused to help stating I should reach out to the developer of the script. This issue seems very much like an Adobe issue instead of a script issue because its happening on ALL third party scripts. I've googled this to no avail as well. If you could give me any information to try and resolve this I would greatly appreciate it.
    cheers-
    Ryan

ps
    I've also purchased your script and can prove it...
  • Hey Zack thanks for responding. So here're my cards

Why Ryan, can you open a support ticket at the link provided? It's a more appropriate venue for technical support and gives me a better structure to help.
  • Sorry will do and thanks!
  • I love your Plugin! I use it almost on a daily basis. The one thing i wish would be updated in a next version is that when you convert an AI file to shape layers that it also takes the transparantcy. Now it changes to 100%. I don't know if this is a limitation of AE but that is just my feedback. Keep up the good work!