• imageParrot

Parrot is an animation system for dynamically connecting and offsetting animations. Extremely useful for motion graphics work. Special Intro 20% OFF until June 23, 2015.

https://aescripts.com/parrot/

• Hi everyone! Today is the initial release of Parrot. If you're finding the tool useful in your workflow, I'd love to hear about it. If you find any bugs, you can open a ticket through the contact page.
  • I'm really liking Parrot so far, it's a real timesaver! You can create complex animations on just one layer and then quickly apply those keyframes and effects to multiple layers and even offset the motion and effects in time just by putting a layer marker where the effect should begin.

• It's nice but when I "parrot" my layers these change of position, so I have to put them back into position :/ 
  • Yes, when you Parrot the Position property, it offsets you Parrot layer positions relative to your Master layer's distance from center stage, or default position. This is done so that by hitting "Reset" on your Parrot layer's transform property group, it will precisely match your Master layer's position. It also assures that if you reParrot your layer, you'll get a consistent result in case you've changed the position of your Parrot layer.

If you want to avoid these unexpected offsets, animate your Master layer at center stage. I often hide my Master layer and only display my Parrot layers if the animation is not intended to be seen at center stage.

It would be feasible to implement an option that would allow Parrot to offset positions from the Parrot layer's current position. Would you be intersted in a feature like that?
  • Yes, this would be a great function, so far I have been searching a expression or script that can help me make an offset on any property how PARROT, but all options that I have seen has the same problem and is a bit tedious and inaccurate position these layers again.
  • I have posted a small update to Parrot! Version 1.0.1 is up! I have added a Position offset option called "Offset from Master Start". This will keep your Parrot layers from shifting when you Parrot your layers. See a walkthrough here:

• This is the one, I've been waiting for! Thanx for this big timesaver!
  • First time starting, "Marker management" doesn't work in UI panel mode. It works as a trial version. You need to run the script from "File→Scripts→Run script", Then You can use it in UI mode.
  • Marker management doesn't work in UI panel mode. You need to run script from File→Scripts→Run script (
    Are you using the registered or trial version? Marker management tools are disabled in the trial mode, but fully functioning when registered.There should be an alert to tell you so if you are in trial mode.
  • So I am having a hard time with Parrot these days. Fresh install, most recent version, and I am getting Expression Errors out the wazoo. This is the first time I am using it on CC 2015.3 and it seems like it is broken? It works when the master layer has no keyframes, but when I add the keyframes and re parrot, it just gives me huge expression errors on each layer. Any insights to this? It is a very heavily used script in my arsenal! 
  • Hi Daamin,
    I will try to recreate this error. I have been using it in CC 2015.3 without problems, so If I can't recreate the error I may ask you to fill out a support ticket with one of your example projects so I can patch this up for you.
    -Mike O
    So I am having a hard time with Parrot these days. Fresh install, most recent version, and I am getting Expression Errors out the wazoo. This is the first time I am using it on CC 2015.3 and it seems like it is broken? It works when the master layer has no keyframes, but when I add the keyframes and re parrot, it just gives me huge expression errors on each layer. Any insights to this? It is a very heavily used script in my arsenal! 

• Wow, quick response! Awesome, thank you! 

Hi Daamin,
    I will try to recreate this error. I have been using it in CC 2015.3 without problems, so If I can't recreate the error I may ask you to fill out a support ticket with one of your example projects so I can patch this up for you.
    -Mike O
    So I am having a hard time with Parrot these days. Fresh install, most recent version, and I am getting Expression Errors out the wazoo. This is the first time I am using it on CC 2015.3 and it seems like it is broken? It works when the master layer has no keyframes, but when I add the keyframes and re parrot, it just gives me huge expression errors on each layer. Any insights to this? It is a very heavily used script in my arsenal! 

• Wow, quick response! Awesome, thank you! 

Hi Daamin,
    -Mike O

Hi Daamun,
    I can't seem to create any expression errors on my end with CC 2015.3. If you wouldn't mind, could you fill out a support ticket and upload an .aep that is showing you these expression errors? Go here to fill out a ticket:

• This seems to be super useful script! 

-Would it be technically possible to make Parrot to parrot thing that happen within comps? Other than using time remapping.
    -The only thing that I would wish Parrot would do in addition to what it already does is that it wouldnt "cut" straight to next parrot marker but would animate the transition between the keyframes. 

• Hi Mike,

great extension, but unfortunately unusable for After Effects with other language.
    The expression tags "checkbox" and "slider" are not understood. 

isDynOffset = SourceLayer.effect("Parrot:Dynamic Time Offset")("Checkbox").value;

or

offsetAmount = SourceLayer.effect("Parrot:Offset Amount")("Slider") * thisComp.frameDuration; 

Could you please do an update there. It would be great.
    sorry for my google-english.
  • Hi Mike,

great extension, but unfortunately unusable for After Effects with other language.

isDynOffset = SourceLayer.effect("Parrot:Dynamic Time Offset")("Checkbox").value;

or

offsetAmount = SourceLayer.effect("Parrot:Offset Amount")("Slider") * thisComp.frameDuration; 

Wow, what a rookie mistake of mine!
    I will post an update ASAP. Thank you for finding this bug.
    -Mike
  • Hi Mike,

or

Wow, what a rookie mistake of mine!
    I will post an update ASAP. Thank you for finding this bug.
    -Mike
    I've updated Parrot so the expressions should work with all languages. Please update, and you'll be good to go!
  • Hello @Mike Overbeck 

Question about automation of text animations.

In short, I have a long video with .srt subtitles. I want to use subtitles timestamps (start and end markers in AE) as placeholders for a precomp, text animation (lower-third) or a simple graphic. 

How to import subtitles timestamps ? pt_importsubtitles script can do that.
    How to link a precomp, text animation (lower-third) or a simple graphic ?
    Parrot can handle that ? Distibute one lower-third across all marker pairs (timestamps) on a layer ?
    Thank you

• Hello @Mike Overbeck 

Question about automation of text animations.

In short, I have a long video with .srt subtitles. I want to use subtitles timestamps (start and end markers in AE) as placeholders for a precomp, text animation (lower-third) or a simple graphic. 

How to import subtitles timestamps ? pt_importsubtitles script can do that.
    How to link a precomp, text animation (lower-third) or a simple graphic ?
    Parrot can handle that ? Distibute one lower-third across all marker pairs (timestamps) on a layer ?
    Thank you

I there, I'm not really clear on what you are asking here. Parrot does not allow you to have a master property control properties in many other comps if that's what you're asking.
  • Hi Mike Overbeck
    A comp (lower-third) activates when time cursor hits the start marker and comp (lower-third) ends when time cursor hits end marker. The problem is that I will have a project with too many marker pairs (timestamps from .srt file imported with pt_importsubtitles) on a layer. In would be difficult to copy a lower-third and place it within dozens of marker pairs on a one layer.

Sorry for wrong terminology I have used. I am completely new to AE.
  • Hi! Your script seems to be amazing but I only have 1 question...

Is it possible to continue a movement? For example I have a Null Object where I put 2 keyframes on position that drive my null object from 0px to 500px on x axis with a marker called "1". 
    If I put 2 markers named "1" on a layer parroted, will my layer move from 0px to 500px and then from 500px to 1000px? 
    Is it relative to the last position, rotation, scale, opacity, effects etc...  of the parroted layer or not?

Thank You.