BG Renderer Pro
  • Hi,
    I have been enjoying this script for quite a few years on a mac
    It has been a cheap and great replacement for NucleoPro when they stopped developping their own background rendering plugin. (I sometimes miss Flow, too)

I have just switched to windows 8.1 with a FirePro W7100 8Gb, on a i7 4930k workstation with 32Gb of RAM.

I am not sure whether this is a real problem but when I launch a render with bgrenderer, I have 4 lines of "LoadLibrary "n" failed!"

The render seems to be fine, but I wonder if it still benefits from all the GPU power ?
  • Hi,
    I have been enjoying this script for quite a few years on a mac
    It has been a cheap and great replacement for NucleoPro when they stopped developping their own background rendering plugin. (I sometimes miss Flow, too)

I have just switched to windows 8.1 with a FirePro W7100 8Gb, on a i7 4930k workstation with 32Gb of RAM.

I am not sure whether this is a real problem but when I launch a render with bgrenderer, I have 4 lines of "LoadLibrary "n" failed!"

The render seems to be fine, but I wonder if it still benefits from all the GPU power ?
    Sounds like an error from some 3rd party installation so can't comment on what it is or whether it affects the render. However aerender does not have access to the GPU. It only renders on the CPU.
  • Ok, thank you, it might be an issue related to those freshly listed with the new CC2015...
  • Ok, thank you, it might be an issue related to those freshly listed with the new CC2015...
    Honestly it sounds like a 3rd party issue. Can you test without any 3rd party plugins installed?
  • Hey Lloyd,

We are facing the same problem with our BG Renderer Plugin as David has/had.

aerender ERROR -609: AESend failed to send apple event at line 769

AE version is 13.2.0.49

I already noticed that it can be caused by GPU based plugins (GenArts - Sapphire
    , like in David's case). In his last comment he also mentioned that this issue appeared again after installing the RG MagicBullet Suite. I asked my operator for a report of the plugins being used in the project and could see that the only 3rd party plugins she is using are Instant 4K (RG - Shooter Suite), FL Curves (Frischluft) and Reduce Noise (Neatvideo). I think only Neatvideo is a GPU based plugin. So my question is, if you already found a workaround for this or if I have to contact the Neatvideo support to find out if there is a similar config file like in the GenArts case...

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Christian
  • Hey Lloyd,

We are facing the same problem with our BG Renderer Plugin as David has/had.

aerender ERROR -609: AESend failed to send apple event at line 769

AE version is 13.2.0.49

I already noticed that it can be caused by GPU based plugins (GenArts - Sapphire, like in David's case). In his last comment he also mentioned that this issue appeared again after installing the RG MagicBullet Suite. I asked my operator for a report of the plugins being used in the project and could see that the only 3rd party plugins she is using are Instant 4K (RG - Shooter Suite), FL Curves (Frischluft) and Reduce Noise (Neatvideo). I think only Neatvideo is a GPU based plugin. So my question is, if you already found a workaround for this or if I have to contact the Neatvideo support to find out if there is a similar config file like in the GenArts case...

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Christian
    The AESend error is a generic error and not specific to the GPU issue.  The problem lies in the plugins you are using and not BG Renderer. You need to contact the plugin developers and tell them that their plugin is generating the AESend error when rendering using aerender. You should also contact Adobe support and let them know that they should provide a more specific error for these cases.
  • Hi,

I've updated to Adobe After Effects 2015. I've run BG Renderer and it gets stuck on the first frame. Any idea what's causing this problem? I had no issues with it in previous versions of AE.

Thank you for your awesome script BTW.

Dave
  • Hi,

I've updated to Adobe After Effects 2015. I've run BG Renderer and it gets stuck on the first frame. Any idea what's causing this problem? I had no issues with it in previous versions of AE.

Dave
    Please test on a new comp to make sure it's not something specific to that comp. If youstill need help please open a support ticket and provide as many details as possible including screenshots and the BG Launcher command file.
  • Hi,

Dave
    Please test on a new comp to make sure it's not something specific to that comp. If youstill need help please open a support ticket and provide as many details as possible including screenshots and the BG Launcher command file.
    Hi Lloyd,

I just read an article from Adobe that lists the things they removed in AE 2015. One of them is (I can't imagine why!) rendering multiple frames simultaneously - multiprocessing. You can read the article here for yourself: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/features-not-available-in-after-effects-cc-2015-13-5.html

My question is, does that effect BG renderer? Because it still isn't working on my machine. It works fine in 2014. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Hi Lloyd, how to change 30fps to 25pfs in BG render? I already set it 25fps in AE CC 2014,but after rendered , it turn back to 30fps, hope can fix it , wait for your reply!
  • Hi Lloyd, how to change 30fps to 25pfs in BG render? I already set it 25fps in AE CC 2014,but after rendered , it turn back to 30fps, hope can fix it , wait for your reply!

No idea but BG Renderer is definitely not doing this. Just a guess in the dark but is the codec you are using 30fps only perhaps?
  • Hi Llyod,

Have you tried using BG renderer for AE 2015? Is it working for you without any issues?
  • Hi Llyod,

Have you tried using BG renderer for AE 2015? Is it working for you without any issues?
    If you check the COMPATIBILITY tab you will see that it is not officially supported on CC2015 but we have many users who are reporting using it successfully in CC2015. If you have a specific issue let us know and we will try our best to help you resolve it. One big thing in CC2015 is Adobe removed multi-processing so make sure you don't use that feature.
  • Is this compatible with CC2014 / CC2015? 
  • Is this compatible with CC2014 / CC2015? 
    It is not officially reported but we have lots of users using it successfully. If you have a specific issue please open a support ticket and we'll try our best to help you.
  • Is it possible to use multiple instances to render a .mov, not an image sequence?
    Can someone outline the steps I am using cc2014/15.

Thanks
  • Is it possible to use multiple instances to render a .mov, not an image sequence?
    Can someone outline the steps I am using cc2014/15.

Thanks
    No, you need to render the image sequence first then assemble it into a mov. You can use the post render actions to automate the process.

• Hi, i bought this script over two years ago, it worked fine up to cs 6, but then my company started to shift to adobe cc and i started to have mixed result upon using BG Renderer Pro on adobe cc.

Whenever i queued more than 1 task on the render queue, when using bg renderer pro, i couldn't manage to get all my files rendered fully. example: if i have 6 comp that are 35 seconds long, i get one or two comps rendered the full 35 secs. the rest would only render like 15 secs, 8 secs, 13 secs etc.

Since i'm always chasing deadline and need to BG render while at the same time do work on AE, this starting to become a problem and the script become unreliable in my case.

• Hi, i bought this script over two years ago, it worked fine up to cs 6, but then my company started to shift to adobe cc and i started to have mixed result upon using BG Renderer Pro on adobe cc.

Whenever i queued more than 1 task on the render queue, when using bg renderer pro, i couldn't manage to get all my files rendered fully. example: if i have 6 comp that are 35 seconds long, i get one or two comps rendered the full 35 secs. the rest would only render like 15 secs, 8 secs, 13 secs etc.

Since i'm always chasing deadline and need to BG render while at the same time do work on AE, this starting to become a problem and the script become unreliable in my case.

There was a bug in early CC versions that caused renders to end early but Adobe has since fixed this. If you have a specific comp that is no rendering or ending early check to make sure you don't have any corrupted footage or plugins as that would also cause it to end early. If you can reproduce the issue please open a support ticket and provide the BG render command file, log so we can take a closer look.
  • Hi I just purchased and "There is an error in background rendering so switching to foreground rendering" Thoughts? I mainly want to take advantage of using full mem/cpu/multiproc. Any suggestions? AE CC2014
  • Hi I just purchased and "There is an error in background rendering so switching to foreground rendering" Thoughts? I mainly want to take advantage of using full mem/cpu/multiproc. Any suggestions? AE CC2014
    Turn off the MP option.
  • Anyone knows that how to stop it during rendering. When I tried to stop by closing the command window, then I found the corrupted file.. Please tell me if any solution if anyone has.
  • Anyone knows that how to stop it during rendering. When I tried to stop by closing the command window, then I found the corrupted file.. Please tell me if any solution if anyone has.

You have to stop the process in the terminal.
  • I am currently rendering a file and it is taking longer than I had anticipated. I was planning on ending the render and finishing the rest as an image sequence split between two computers. I have done this successfully before by opening the quicktime file and saving it before stopping the render. This time I get a message from quicktime player saying it is not able to open the file. I am using the latest version of AE, OSX, and QuickTime Player. I am rendering out a quicktime file using the ProRes Codec. 

Does anyone know why I am not able to open the file as well as possible work arounds?
  • I am currently rendering a file and it is taking longer than I had anticipated. I was planning on ending the render and finishing the rest as an image sequence split between two computers. I have done this successfully before by opening the quicktime file and saving it before stopping the render. This time I get a message from quicktime player saying it is not able to open the file. I am using the latest version of AE, OSX, and QuickTime Player. I am rendering out a quicktime file using the ProRes Codec. 

Does anyone know why I am not able to open the file as well as possible work arounds?
    After Effects writes to the QT file every 10 mins (unless Adobe changed this in the new version) so you probably need to wait until the first write happens.  
  • Thanks for the quick reply. Are you saying if I open the file on one of the 10 min intervals I might be able to get it to work?
  • I'm not entirely sure I understood your reply. The video has been rendering for over 12 hours. Do you know if there a way to stop the render saving what has already been processed?
  • I'm not entirely sure I understood your reply. The video has been rendering for over 12 hours. Do you know if there a way to stop the render saving what has already been processed?
    Sounds like something isn't right or adobe changed the 10min interval save. Sorry I don't have better news.
  • I am running AE CC 2014 on OS X 10.10.5. I set up my render. Hit okay and Terminal pops up. I can see the frames going. I then close down AE to speed up the rendering. I go from 5 seconds a frame to 1 second a frame. But once it's done and I watch my video. I see that the video goes nuts! Camera fly off in crazy direction and images pop on and off. Now I have to leave AE on in order for my project to render properly. Anyone else have this issue?
  • I am running AE CC 2014 on OS X 10.10.5. I set up my render. Hit okay and Terminal pops up. I can see the frames going. I then close down AE to speed up the rendering. I go from 5 seconds a frame to 1 second a frame. But once it's done and I watch my video. I see that the video goes nuts! Camera fly off in crazy direction and images pop on and off. Now I have to leave AE on in order for my project to render properly. Anyone else have this issue?
    Are you sure you are rendering the correct comp?  The render should match your comp exactly.
    Are you sure you are rendering the correct comp?  The render should match your comp exactly.
    Oh yeah there is only one comp. Do you plan to put out an update? At the moment BG Renderer Pro is not very reliable. 
    Oh yeah there is only one comp. Do you plan to put out an update? At the moment BG Renderer Pro is not very reliable. 
    it is very reliable. This is related to something else can you open a support ticket and send us the project file as well as the rendered file with the crazy camera so we can take a look. https://aescripts.com/contact/
  • Hi Lloyd,

Firstly, great script, bit of a lifesaver! Thanks.

I just tried setting up my email notification and Gmail prevented me using it, it sent me the following email:

"Sign-in attempt prevented"

Hi David,
    Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account (----) from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.

We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account. All apps made by Google meet these security standards. Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable. Learn more.

Google stopped this sign-in attempt, but you should review your recently used devices:
    hope you can help! Desperate to use this feature and the SMS one too!

Thanks!

• Hi Lloyd,

I just tried setting up my email notification and Gmail prevented me using it, it sent me the following email:

Hi David,
    Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account (----) from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards.

We strongly recommend that you use a secure app, like Gmail, to access your account. All apps made by Google meet these security standards. Using a less secure app, on the other hand, could leave your account vulnerable. Learn more.

Google stopped this sign-in attempt, but you should review your recently used devices:

Thanks!

Just do what the "learn more" link that google sent you instructs you to do: 

Ask your system administrator to change your account access by going to the "Less secure apps" section of MyAccount and checking the box next to Allow access for less secure apps.  

If you are concerned about security you can open a separate email account just for this and have it forward to your main account (although it should be an outbound only email address). 
  • Hi Lloyd,

Hi David,

Thanks!

Just do what the "learn more" link that google sent you instructs you to do: 

Ask your system administrator to change your account access by going to the "Less secure apps" section of MyAccount and checking the box next to Allow access for less secure apps.  

If you are concerned about security you can open a separate email account just for this and have it forward to your main account (although it should be an outbound only email address). 
    Well that's service for you! Didn't expect such a speedy response, thanks Lloyd!
  • Tip: works great with Boxcar if you want render notifications on you iPhone (email to SMS isn't availble for my cell provider)

On my regular ("real") email account I have no push notifications since I prefer to decide when I want to read my spam :-)  But with Boxcar I have an extra (free) email address, so I now have a notification (alert) pop-up on my iPhone when a render is done, rather than checking through remote desktop apps (or my regular mail)  

Tested on iOS9 - https://boxcar.io/client
  • This plugin is amazing! Huge time saver!

I do have one issue. I know it isn't officially supported for AECS6 or higher but my renders get longer the further the render progresses. Is this a RAM allocation issue? Maybe an issue with the disk cache? 

For example I started a 45 min render with a pre-rendered single video with two effects on it. For the first 30 mins of the render the frames were rendering within 1 SEC. It exponentially progressed after that and it now takes 4 SEC per frame around the 43min mark. Any ideas?

I do have one issue. I know it isn't officially supported for AECS6 or higher but my renders get longer the further the render progresses. Is this a RAM allocation issue? Maybe an issue with the disk cache? 

For example I started a 45 min render with a pre-rendered single video with two effects on it. For the first 30 mins of the render the frames were rendering within 1 SEC. It exponentially progressed after that and it now takes 4 SEC per frame around the 43min mark. Any ideas?
    Could be a million reasons.. Does your comp gets more complicated or heavy towards the end?  It could also most definitely be a memory error, there is a secret pref to make AE purge the memory at a regular interval, info on how to turn it on is here.

Could be a million reasons.. Does your comp gets more complicated or heavy towards the end?  It could also most definitely be a memory error, there is a secret pref to make AE purge the memory at a regular interval, info on how to turn it on is here.
    It doesn't get more complicated as It is a pre rendered video. However, I am aware of that setting and I'm think After Effects is just not purging properly as the render goes on. ill be sure to turn that on for my next render. Thanks for the insight!
  • Please, I desperately need a CC 2015 version!
    This script is mandatory for our workflow.

:)

It works fine in CC2015 (only reported issue is a false warning that the render did not start but it does start and renders fine). If you are seeing another issue please open a support ticket and let us know and we'll try our best to help.
  • Hi Lloyd,

Having trouble setting up background renderer email notifications.

The smtp server for the OSX iCloud server settings: used to be smtp.me.com . However now the server says its down. error 64.

Do u know the correct server settings OS X iCloud email server?

(ps iCloudemail account says SMTP is p07-smtp.me.mail.com but trying this I get the same error message)
  • Hi Lloyd,
    Having trouble setting up background renderer email notifications.
    The smtp server for the OSX iCloud server settings: used to be smtp.me.com . However now the server says its down. error 64.
    Do u know the correct server settings OS X iCloud email server?
    (ps iCloudemail account says SMTP is p07-smtp.me.mail.com but trying this I get the same error message)
    You'll need to contact apple for help on this. Perhaps it was just a temporary outage?
  • Hi !

I would like to have an 'instances' option. Default would be 1 but I use BG render to run in parallel 4 instances of AE render and it's simply 4 times faster!
    it's just a bit annoying to have to re-enable each comps in the render queue to click again on the render button. It would be simpler if BG render would just start 4 separate threads.

Thanks ! 
  • Hi !

I would like to have an 'instances' option. Default would be 1 but I use BG render to run in parallel 4 instances of AE render and it's simply 4 times faster!
    it's just a bit annoying to have to re-enable each comps in the render queue to click again on the render button. It would be simpler if BG render would just start 4 separate threads.

Thanks ! 
    This is exactly what the "Save BG Launcher" option is for.  Simply choose that option and then all you need to do is double click that launcher file in the finder for each instance you'd like to launch. Please refer to the video tutorial to see this in action.  If you are going to launch instances on other machines then additionally check the "Make portable app" option :)
  • This is probably one of the most useful things I've ever bought.
    Is there a way to work out how many Terminal nodes your machine can cope with efficiently?
  • This is probably one of the most useful things I've ever bought.
    Is there a way to work out how many Terminal nodes your machine can cope with efficiently?
    Not exactly but the rule of thumb is 2GB per instance plus 2GB for the OS and 2GB for AE if you leave it open.
  • Hi Lloyd-- I'm looking to automate my rendering/uploading to Wistia process by using their uploads API via a cURL command. 

Here it is: $ curl -i -F api_password=<YOUR_API_PASSWORD> -F file=@<;LOCAL_FILE_PATH> https://upload.wistia.com/

Would your plugin be the right tool for the job for this? Would it be able to dynamically change the file path in the cURL command by using your 'Special Keywords'?

Thanks!
  • Hi Lloyd-- I'm looking to automate my rendering/uploading to Wistia process by using their uploads API via a cURL command. 

Here it is: $ curl -i -F api_password=<YOUR_API_PASSWORD> -F file=@<;LOCAL_FILE_PATH> https://upload.wistia.com/

Would your plugin be the right tool for the job for this? Would it be able to dynamically change the file path in the cURL command by using your 'Special Keywords'?

Thanks!
    Yes definitely and you can even tested it out with the free trial. if you have any issue just let us know.

It works fine in CC2015 (only reported issue is a false warning that the render did not start but it does start and renders fine). If you are seeing another issue please open a support ticket and let us know and we'll try our best to help.
    Good news, but you should update the compatibility tab then!  ;)