• I downloaded the file, however, it does not seem to work in AE6. I click extrude and it does nothing. I'm using a PC Quad Core. How do I fix this problem?
  • It it currently not compatible with CS6.  We are working on a fix. 
  • yes it doesn't work with cs6 as they say .. i also press extrude and nothing happened .. 

• hi!
    this is a great script, I use it very often
    however, there's one thing that dissapoints me - it does not support cyrillic text
    when I press extrude - the script crashes
    would really love to see it working properly

• Please fix for CS6! I love this plugin, I want to be able to use it on CS6!
  • We are aware that is not working on CS6. You can check what versions all products are compatible with by checking the 'COMPATIBILITY' tab on each product page.
  • How to solve this problem my friend?

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac195/vinzal/3Dextrudererror.jpg

Can someone help me with this?
    AE CS5.5
    Win Vista
  • How to solve this problem my friend?

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac195/vinzal/3Dextrudererror.jpg

Can someone help me with this?
    AE CS5.5
    Win Vista
    Hi Alvin, 

This looks like a problem of not being able to read the 3DX preferences. There is a rare bug in the Ae scripting language that sometimes returns a null string. It's not fixable, but there is a workaround. I have another version of the script that writes the prefs to a different locations and if that's the problem, then this workaround would fix it.

In the first instance, if you could email me and let me know what you were doing at the point where you received the error message, what language your After Effects is in and what type of 3D Extruder licence you have that would be very useful.

Warm regards,

Ben.
  • hi!
    this is a great script, I use it very often
    however, there's one thing that dissapoints me - it does not support cyrillic text
    when I press extrude - the script crashes
    would really love to see it working properly

Hi Platon,

Does your version of 3DX work with other text? I can't think of a reason why cyrillic text would crash 3DX. As far as the script is concerned, it's just another text layer. The context of the text layer is handled at lower level.

Do you receive an error message when the script crashes? Or does it just stop working? Does After Effects continue to work properly?

Best,

Ben.
  • It it currently not compatible with CS6.  We are working on a fix. 
    When do you think you'll have compatibility with CS6? I'm a big fan of the plugin, and would like to be able to use it again soon. Thanks.
  • @Brad. Sorry it's taken some time. In the next month or so, I should have time to fix it.
  • Question...I'm extruding a vector image to animate a logo and when I get the extruded logo close to the camera (in z space), the logo is very pixelated. I'm on full resolution, have adjusted the anti-aliasing as suggested in the included documentation and it's still too pixelated to use. Am I dong something wrong or this just a something I will have to deal with?

• I have the same situation as Platon. The strange thing is that it worked perfectly the first time, I create a project that uses extensively the script, and one or two months after I tried to use it again, I get the same message as Platon. I just create a new project, with 18 layers of images different resolutions below the text, I wanted to apply the script, and shows me the error window "Unable to execute script at line 5594. Function tPrefsList[i].split is undefined".
    I´m using AE CS5 Pro in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits, 20 GB of RAM, Intel Xeon 3.33 GHz Dual Core.
  • Sorry, not like Platon, if not like Alvin, sorry, sorry, sorry...
  • My License is valid for 1 user, and the language of my After Effects is english.
  • @Jorge....

Check out this quick tip. 

I think this will explain your pixellation issue.

-Ben
  • @Marcos...

First of all, try running the script with all other scripts closed. There have been several cases recently of scripts interfering with the smooth running of other scripts, and in this instance, it's possible that another script has added a method to the Array Prototype that's scuppering the smooth running of the script. I'll have a look at the line in question and see if I can make it a little more robust!

Let me know how you get on.

Ben.
  • I'm getting the same error;

"Unable to execute script at line 5594. Function tPrefsList[i].split is undefined".

Apple mac 10.6.8 CS5

Was working a week ago

Gary
  • I'm working on a fix for this at the moment. In the meantime, run 3D extruder with other scripts closed.

Ben.
  • Will this be fixed to work in CS6? I love this script and the 3D capabilities in CS6 just aren't good enough yet.

This still has excellent applications that are very useful and I know longer have CS5/CS5.5 :( 
  • Hi Tom,

It's next on my list. I'm tweaking a couple of bits and pieces in Projection and then I'll upload the CS6 version of 3DX.

Ben.
  • Hi Ben,

Any idea when the CS6 Verison will be ready.

Thanks
  • Hi Guys,

The newly uploaded version, 1.02a (x329) is compatible with CS6!

-Ben.
  • I think I had uploaded the update in the wrong place, so not everyone coud see it. That's fixed now!

There was one last compatibility issue when running 3DX alongside some other scripts. That's also fixed.

So, enjoy 1.02x330!

-Ben.
  • Hello Ben,

just wanted to know if the new CS6 compatible version is free for current costumers.
    I downloaded the trial from the website and used my key but nothing happens when I click extrude.

So I tried to go to my downloads page and I don't find any 3D extrude download available (old or new version!)
    I don't know if this is related to the fact that I bought the plugin before the new site was launched so in my purchase history the 3D Extrude plugin doesn't seem to show up.

Do you think you can help out or should I open a support ticket?

Thanks
    Diogo

• Please open a support ticket for help with your missing order.
  • Hi Diogo,

Yes it is. Please do open a support ticket. It's not to do with your serial, but it may be that the trial version hasn't been updated to the new version yet. I'll have a look into it.

Best,

Ben.
  • Hey Ben,
    I am working on a 64-bit Windows 7 with After Effects CS 5.5. I can't tell whether the 3D extruder works for  Windows or Mac. Either way I purchased the plug-in and I've downloaded the zip file but none of the files let me install the plug-in into AE, I can just find html pages, a DS_store file that I can't read and a notepad file. 
    Please help,
    Sonia
  • 3D Extruder is cross platform. You install it by placing the .jsxbin file in the ScriptUI Panels folder inside the Scripts folder and run it from the Window menu in After Effects. Here is a full installation tutorial if you need more help: https://aescripts.com/faq/how-to-install-and-run-scripts/
  • Hi,

When will this script be compatible with AE CC?

• Does this not work with CC?

I still have a need to fade extrusions in CC rather than use any other plugins or ray traced renderer.

If it doesn't work - are there any other scripts that do the same that are compatible?

Thanks.

• It is not officially supported on CC but you can download the free trial and try it on your system before purchase.
  • Seems to work OK so far.

Is there a way to remove a 3D extrude cleanly - lots of pre-comps and expressions generated, making it difficult to remove - I couldn't see anything in the help docs unless I missed something?

• Is there a way to remove a 3D extrude cleanly - lots of pre-comps and expressions generated, making it difficult to remove - I couldn't see anything in the help docs unless I missed something?

Deleting the 3D Extruder folder in the Project Panel should delete the full hierarchy
  • Yes - everything that 3D Extruder creates is packed neatly into a folder in the project window. To delete, just delete the folder.
  • Hey,

i have just purchased 3D extruder, and it does not work. when i open up the panel, it is empty. I have CS6 64bit

• Hey,

i have just purchased 3D extruder, and it does not work. when i open up the panel, it is empty. I have CS6 64bit
    Have you checked the "Allow scripts to access the network" preference?
  • Hey,

Have you checked the "Allow scripts to access the network" preference?
    Yes, i have. i have also re-installed AE and nothing. I tried it on another computer with CS5.5 and it works there. 
  • Yes, i have. i have also re-installed AE and nothing. I tried it on another computer with CS5.5 and it works there. 

Please open a support ticket
    and send us a screenshot of your installation folder.
  • Hi Ben,
    I just got this script. Registration wasnt a problem but using the interface. I followed the guide as displayed above but cant get my text to extrude. What do I do?

Thanks in advance
  • Hi Denny,

In the first place, please open a support ticket. I'd need to have some more information from you to know exactly what's going wrong.

As a first thing, I'd try closing down all script windows, then quitting and restarting After Effects. Then open only 3D Extruder and try an extrude. This sometimes helps.

Warm regards,

Ben.
  • Hi Ben, any plans/timeframe to make compatible to CC 2014? Thanks
  • Hi Ben, any plans/timeframe to make compatible to CC 2014? Thanks
    Please sign up for notifications and you will be notified when any new versions are posted.
  • Hi San,

My latest 3D Extruder version (1.02x330e) works fine in CC 2014. If you're finding that it's not working, first of all try closing all script windows, quitting and restarting After Effects and then opening 3D Extruder. If you are still having problems, please describe in detail what issue you are having. You can also always open a support ticket and submit a screencast so we can see what you are seeing.

Best,

Ben.
  • Hi Ben

We are using the script with great success on our production, using it to add depth to Illustrator artwork.  We are using it a lot for doors, and as such we need to alter the anchor point of extruded object in Z so the door hinge from the back plane rather than the front (as doors do in real life).  This is easy enough to do but of course you have to change it manually every time you change the depth of the extrusion.  Is there any way to automate this or choose when extruding where the anchor point lies?

(Not sure if this is a discussion or a Support issue but figured other people might be interested if theres a fix)

Thanks

James
  • Hi Ben

We are using the script with great success on our production, using it to add depth to Illustrator artwork.  We are using it a lot for doors, and as such we need to alter the anchor point of extruded object in Z so the door hinge from the back plane rather than the front (as doors do in real life).  This is easy enough to do but of course you have to change it manually every time you change the depth of the extrusion.  Is there any way to automate this or choose when extruding where the anchor point lies?

(Not sure if this is a discussion or a Support issue but figured other people might be interested if theres a fix)
    Thanks for the feature request, it will be taken into consideration for a future version. In the mean time have you tried using https://aescripts.com/repositionanchorpoint/
  • I'm just trying this out again but have some issues:

1) extrude depth is limited to 10 in the UI - this is far too much for a particular use I have. I know this can be reduced but would be good to have 1 as a minimum?
    2) after extruding. How do you delete an extrude to return it to the original? Or is this not possible?

Thanks.
  • I'm also finding that preferences aren't being saved with a preset. e.g. I created a preset called CXC then I modified some settings (Sides - shade and tint amount) and then saved it again over the top. When I reselect the preset, those settings are not re-loaded.
  • Hi Paul,

Yes, it's designed to be a good number for general usage. For the moment, you'd need to reduce the extrude depth down to 1 using the effects on the layer, once you've created the extrude.

This isn't possible. 3DX restructures your file. You can always use the Edit Mode switch on the layer to temporarily flatten out your extrude for speed. If you want to fundamentally go back to your starting position, it's best to simply duplicate up the layer before you extrude.

Regarding the preference issue, I'll have a look into it.

Best,

Ben.
  • @James,

3DX initially places the anchor point in the middle of the extrude. You can then however use the Z-anchor Offset effect on the extrude layer, to place the anchor point at the front of the extrude (value 100) or the back of the extrude (value -100) or anywhere in between. Then you can change or even animate the extrude depth and the anchor point will stay where you want it.

-Ben.