• Hi Matt,
    this error is generated by AE itself when corrupted pngs are trying to be imported. This can happen when your internet connection is not stable during download or there's problems on the servers side. If refinalizing won't work try deleting your "Tiles" folder in the AE project then go to the prefs' layer settings, hit "purge image cache" for the layer you're working with and finalize again. Let me know if that helps.

Cheers
    Markus
  • Great product. I've been working through the basics video & when I add a GEO Shapes layer (the United States),
    I keep getting this error: After Effects warning: Unknown Exception.

I am able to RAM preview the first half of the animation zooming in, but once I start to get more zoomed in I get that error.

On latest version of Yosemite & latest version of AE. Macbook Pro.
  • Im noticing with CC2014 PC that the finalization screen is freezing and hangs AE. If I wait , it eventually works and I can see its downloading tiles as they are appearing in the temp folder, just seams the controller window looses connection and looks like its not doing anything. CTRL + Shift+ C just makes AE hang until it finishes.  Anyone else finding this? I have set this up at work with our licenses and all are doing the same.

Also anyone know where I can find Australian border geojons? or how to make my own?

• Great product. I've been working through the basics video & when I add a GEO Shapes layer (the United States),
    I keep getting this error: After Effects warning: Unknown Exception.

I am able to RAM preview the first half of the animation zooming in, but once I start to get more zoomed in I get that error.

On latest version of Yosemite & latest version of AE. Macbook Pro.

Hi John,

We've had similar problems on some AE-Projects. What helped us out was opening AE's preferences holding SHIFT. This will reveal a secret section of the prefs... should be the last item on the list left-side. There you can deactivate or purge your layercache every few frames. This ends up in longer rendertimes but hopefully helps with the issue you described.

Im noticing with CC2014 PC that the finalization screen is freezing and hangs AE. If I wait , it eventually works and I can see its downloading tiles as they are appearing in the temp folder, just seams the controller window looses connection and looks like its not doing anything. CTRL + Shift+ C just makes AE hang until it finishes.  Anyone else finding this? I have set this up at work with our licenses and all are doing the same.

Also anyone know where I can find Australian border geojons? or how to make my own?

Hi Matthew,

It's a known problem that AE is not responding during tile-download or geoshape-drawing on Windows sometimes. Unfortunately ist not possible to somehow update the UI and progressbars via the script during the process. Actually GEOlayers is doing its Job, so it doesn't hang AE or taking more time than usual. AE is just not responding while its scripting-engine is busy. Bit of a pitty but we can't do anything against it, sorry!

I found this:

https://github.com/edwinsteele/d3-projects/blob/master/data/au-states.geojson

Just click "RAW" and save it with the file-extension ".geojson" and you can use it in GEOlayers.

Cheers

Markus

• Hi,

i have the latest Geolayers trial.
    There are display problems in the ui. 
    I cant get to the finalise and preference button. They are out of the ui frame.
    Switching to legacy ui causes AE to crash.

i´m on win 7 and AE cc 2015 13.5 (updated)
  • Hi Sam,

This is a known problem in AE on Win 7. Guess you have a high-dpi-Display?! Did you get a prompt if your UI is working when you launched GEOlayers? There you need to click "fixed size".

This should do the Job!

Cheers

Markus

• Hi Markus,

Great script!  My only complaint is that I can't figure out how to get better detailed height maps.  I am trying to show a hike to a certain mountain in Mexico, so I am really zoomed in on my aerial map.  But the height map is low rez at that point making it impossible for MIR to distinguish the area.  If I am further zoomed out, the height maps will work.  Any ideas?
  • Hey Brant,

The standard "NASA - height" profile has imagery up to zoomlevel 9 globally. If thats not enough have a look here:
    You could use these geotiffs for your elevation. 

Regards
    Markus
  • Hi Markus,

I am having trouble finding out how to draw the WHOLE WORLD using the Geo Shapes section. When I type in World, I just get a folder with options for all the continents. What if I want to draw the whole world the easy you show it in your tutorial 01Basic. 

Please help. 

David.
  • Hi!,
    I have a Problem. After i import my GeoJson data get an Error:
    "Unknow BIB Error. Unknown Bravo Error, BRV, 0"

Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong?

• Is there a way to loop the map? When I pull out to view most of the world I get an edge from New Zealand out?

Is it possible to loop the map, finalizing doesnt work?
    SCREEN.jpg
    1128 x 728 - 131K
  • Hi Guys

Sorry for the late reply! I've been on holidays.

I am having trouble finding out how to draw the WHOLE WORLD using the Geo Shapes section. When I type in World, I just get a folder with options for all the continents. What if I want to draw the whole world the easy you show it in your tutorial 01Basic. 

Hey David, unfortunately you can't draw whole feature collections. You'd need to browse into every continent and select all ist countries. I know this seems a bit last century but ist like that due to performance and responsiveness on larger files.

After i import my GeoJson data get an Error:
    "Unknow BIB Error. Unknown Bravo Error, BRV, 0"

Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong?

Hi Hanna, seems like the file is corrupted. Try to import and export it again on http://mapshaper.org/. This will create valid .geojsons. If that doesn't help please open a Support Ticket and attach the file (https://aescripts.com/contact/)

Is there a way to loop the map? When I pull out to view most of the world I get an edge from New Zealand out?

Is it possible to loop the map, finalizing doesnt work?

Hi Matthew, unfortunately not. We know this is a Problem and its on the list but won't be fixed with the next updates. Only poor workaround is to add a second mapcomp.

Regards

markus

• Hi Matthew, unfortunately not. We know this is a Problem and its on the list but won't be fixed with the next updates. Only poor workaround is to add a second mapcomp.

Regardsmarkus
    Poor work around because. . it wouldnt be easy to link the move. You would have to somehow parent the map pivots I guess.

Been racking the brain to work out a way to link while moving easily. Thought of a way you could fix it in future releases which I don't think wouldn't be that difficult at all to implement. (Probably famous last words but....)Instead of a just a "Link geolayer to layer x" options when linking one geolayer to be in the exact same spot as another create an parent geolayer option that parents the map pivots. That way you could create another map. Align it and select parent layer to the main geolayer and when u move or zoom. If its parented it would move and zoom at the same speed. Just a thought....

• Hey Matthew,

In a perfect world the map would just repeat itself on x-Axis as often as it would fit into the comp. Thats the Goal but it digs a bit deeper... So it won't be done in the next releases but I also don't want to come up with an update that has a kind of work around solution. What might be cool to do the job is an Lat/Long-Offset for linked layers. This could be also useful for other purposes. And I guess it suits your parenting idea. I'd appreciate you to open a support ticket to figure out some details and get things done quickly. (https://aescripts.com/contact/)

Thanks in advance!

Markus

• Okay... did the NASA height map server just quit serving up tiles? Because that will be a real problem, im making maps for a television show and im half way done. But now.. i keep getting errors while downloading. But only with the NASA height map server. What is going on? The server setting points to this http://www.maps.byto.de/Tileserver/{{serverTileStyle}}/{{ZoomLevel}}/{{pX}}/{{pYi}}.{{fileExtension}}

thanks..
  • Hi Christian, please download the latest version. We moved the server... Profiles will be updated automatically. Gonna be faster also.
    cheers
    markus
  • Hi Markus, well.. thats rather embarrassing.. Im sorry to have bothered you and thank you for the notice. 

Thanks! 
  • No worries! You're welcome!
    have a great day!
  • Markus, in the layers panel, the UI text says "Hold CTRL/CMD to snap it to the middle of your current view. If no layer is selected a null will get created instead." However, when I don't have any layer selected and I select any of those first 3 options, the null created is snapped to the middle of the current view. So you may want to consider changing the last line to read "If no layer is selected a null will get created instead in the middle of your current view." to avoid confusion.
  • Markus, I started to ask why my newly created shape layer wasn't snapping to the map the way it should, until I noticed that by default, a drawn shape has the anchor position set to the middle of the view, not the middle of the object you're drawing (duh)... so I figured out what's going on, but thought others might run into similar issues so there you have it! ;)
  • Hey Andrew,

OK, got you... gonna update the helptip there. Thanks for your thoughts!

Cheers

Markus

• Hey Markus,

just trying your fascinating GEOlayers Tool :)
    But is there any possibility to create an individual map design with editable streets, rivers, etc.?
    As I understand it, there are only country layers on the layer window and no other geographical features. Right?

Regards, Sarah
  • Hi Sarah,
    Yes you're right by default there is just all countries of the world in the GeoShapes tool. But you can also import additional geojson files. If you want to style maps in general have a look at https://www.mapbox.com/. There is an API included in GEOlayers. And If you're a little patient you can play with this upcoming feature:

• Hello,

I'm installing the update and wondered if there I need to update the "world.geojson" file or just the "GEOlayers.jsxbin"?
  • Hi Lisa,

it's only the "GEOlayers.jsxbin" you need to update the world file is still the same.

Regards
    Markus
  • Hi,

May I know why do I keep getting this prompt "~/Library/Application%20Support/Aescripts/GEOlayers/XmlLog.txt"  whenever I finalize my comp?
  • Hi there,

You're working with CC 2015 right? I've noticed this a few times too on the bing maps profiles. But can't reproduce it now. It happened receiving the image copyright holders. Nevermind. If the ServiceProviders textlayer has content everything went well;) Did it ever appear on other profiles like stamen or openstreetmaps? It would help me if you could open a support ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/) and attach the XmlLog.txt.

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi Markus,

I have been trying out on the advanced MIR setup project on my own where u have the INN airport label sticking to it. Somehow I couldn't stick my solid onto the layer whenever I create the amplitude/elevation in MIR, the solid would just be sliding away when i rotate my Z null. Is it got to do with the MIR amplitude or the parenting? Please advise.
  • Hi, There, 

Firstly I love your product, I'm using the trial version but intend on purchasing the full license. I did have a question before purchasing. So this is my issue. 

I'm trying to create a second layer and the dropdown is only allowing one layer ( do I need the purchased version to get more layer options? ) This is most likely an embarrassing question ha but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks so much and thank you for developing this amazing product, if i can figure this out it would be huge!! 

Best, 
    Nick 

• Hi Koo Wei Zhi,

You need to create a GEOlayer in the same dimensions like your MIR layer link to your texture or heightmap and make it a 3D layer in the comp. I guess the dimensions of the MIR layer is the problem if it doesn't stick to the map.

Hi Nick,

Nice to hear you like it first of all! Thanks a lot!
    Yes you're right with the trial you can only create one layer per project. Otherwise its up to 8. 

Cheers
    Markus
  • Thanks! Purchased and got the new version! 

One more question, how do I adjust the zoom level in the preview window on the New Stamen map stack editor, the default was zoomed in pretty close, now for some reason it's zoomed super far out. Thanks! 

Nick 

• Hey Nick,

The Map Stack Editor loads a tile out of the current view of the GEOlayer you're connected with. So changing its view will lead to a different tile to be loaded for previewing. If you're not initialized with any layer you'll see a part of my hometown leipzig;) 

Cheers
    Markus
  • Still having problems with this plugin.

When ever i import a .gpx file with track data it crashes when the shape layers are drawn and you start zooming in and out with the map layer.

This is the error:

After Effects warning: Unknown BIB Error. Unknown Bravo Error, BRV, 0 (83::3)

Bit disappointed really as GEO layers claim its an after effect issues, not their plugin. Dunno, it's supposed to work and doesn't. You buy these things in good faith. And it's not a cheap plugin, especially when you buy the trapcode add on, which i did.

I have tried uninstalling AFX several times and tried on a couple of computers.

If anyone has any advice on how to troubleshoot this, please do reply. Many thanks.
  • Hey Nicholas,

completely understand you on this issue. Only Thing I can do is having a look at the gpx-file that forces AE to crash. May you send it over to me? You can use your open Support Ticket for this.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience!

Regards

Markus

• Hello Markus,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't fixed the issue, but i have found a work around.

A chap on the adobe after affects forum suggested downloading After Effects CC 2014 and try it in that. (Currently I'm using 2015 which is causing the problem).

I downloaded it tonight and installed the GEO layers script and it works perfectly.

Unfortunately, I'm not a computer programmer so not able to understand where the incompatibility issue between your plugin and CC 2015 is, but ultimately I just need it to work, and now I have a way of using it to it's full extent, which is perfect! :)

I guess it's not a permanent solution but at least I can use it now.

Anyway, I'm now a happy customer!

Thanks

Nick :)
  • Hey Nick,

I also did some testings. Guess the problem has something to do with AEs new preview architecture. Actually the Error is generated sometimes when you scale Shapelayers very large.(like when you zoom in pretty far) Pretty strange actually... 

Also the workaround I found is wierd:
    The shapelayer just needs to be a 3D layer. So switching the GEOlayer to 3D before creating any GeoShapes does the job. But it actually doesnt create sharp edges zooming in far.

Cheers
    Markus
  • HI guys is there a server problem atm I am getting a "couldn't parse xml
    HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden" when searching for places. Worked fine yesterday?

• HI guys is there a server problem atm I am getting a "couldn't parse xml
    HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden" when searching for places. Worked fine yesterday?

Hey Guys,

Is it the bing-maps API or any other you're using? In case of bing maps It could be that the default account that GEOlayers is using had too many requests in the last 24 hours. In this case you could create your own account:

http://www.microsoft.com/maps/create-a-bing-maps-key.aspx

The Basic Key and its broadcast license is free of charge. The API Key you get can be pasted to all the bing maps server profiles in GEOlayers. This will allow you 50.000 search requests within 24h.

Regards

Markus

• Hey Markus,

I'm getting the same error as Network TEN, but I'm using the Stamen Toner Background. Here's the text from the log box:

couldn't parse xml
    HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
    successfully initialized: stamen - toner-background
    'GEOlayers_comp_1' is not existing in your project

Any ideas? Thanks!
  • Hey Markus,
    I'm getting the same error as Network TEN, but I'm using the Stamen Toner Background. Here's the text from the log box:
    couldn't parse xml
    HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
    successfully initialized: stamen - toner-background
    'GEOlayers_comp_1' is not existing in your project

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Ok thats a different search API. Maybe they did some changes on their services. I'll have a look whats wrong there. As a workaround you can create a Mapcomp with a bing maps profile and use its search linking the view of the mapcomp you want to work with. Or Google the places and paste their coordinates directly into the LatLongZoom property of your GEOlayer.

Sorry for the inconvenience! I'll see what I can do!

Regards

Markus

• Thanks for the help Markus! Enjoying the new Stamen Map Stack so far!
  • Hey Guys,

For anybody having problem with the search tab on any server profile but bing maps...
    Version 1.081 is ready for download. Search API is updated and works again.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi Markus, any idea as to why i would get these partial downloads of Stamen maps? 

Maybe too high quality setting?

Thanks!
    Schermafbeelding 2015-09-19 om 13.45.37.png
    619 x 427 - 556K
  • Hi Christian,
    looks like the base texture you're using is not available in the zoomlevel you required it. Or there is a render error on the server. In this case you could go to your settings and purge the image cache of the Mapcomp you're using, remove the tiles from your project and finalize again. This forces a redownload of all tiles.
    Regards
    Markus
  • Hi Markus, I did a quick search through the comments but couldn't find an answer to this ongoing problem!
    Every time I try to collect the AE project files using the "collect files..." command, I get an error that the tiles could not be found - but I noticed that it's looking inside the folder that I'm trying to collect TO instead of the folder where the tiles are actually KEPT by GEOlayers. It seems there might be some code needed to re-direct the collection process to the correct folder? I know I have the tiles because I can "reveal in finder" and it pops up right here: /Users/Andrew/Library/Application Support/Aescripts/GEOlayers/Tiles
  • So if I'm getting you right AE is not copying the tiles to the folder you want to collect it to? Or is it collecting them there but leaving the sources linked to the files in the AppData Directory? Each way around this seems to be an issue in the collecting function of AE. GEOlayers just downloads the images and imports them to your project. You could try to change the Folder GEOlayers is using to store the tiles. You can find this option in the general settings of the prefs. Hope that helps!
    Cheers
    Markus
  • Why is Google maps not listed in the visual display of supported api's? Anything I missed about using google maps api/copyrights since I bought GEOlayers 12 month ago?

GEOLayers was & I think still is promoted through the videos particularly using Google maps api and I'm just wondering now why g-maps aren't placed that prominent in the visual short-discription (landing page) - which makes me think something happened about using this api I probably missed.
  • Hello,

This is such an amazing tool but more tutorials are needed for users to get maximum value from the tool. 

Where can I get geojson files to use? GPX imports - where to download, how to do?

I can only imagine all the cool things this script can do. I am very familiar with after effects but this tool is not the easiest to get my intended results. More tutorials of example projects would be amazing.

Thanks for the product. It is awesome!

• Hey jo,
    Geolayers has no standard api for google maps. Never had, but using the universal api you can connect to google maps tileservers. Still no problem!

Hey mark,
    any topics in particular you want to have tuts about? Search the web for .shp files. You can convert them using mapshaper.org they are more common than geojsons.

Cheers
    markus
  • A how to tutorial for these two videos would be cool:

Opening up the software and getting to the point of these videos is a far stretch. Tutorials would be great.

Love GEOLayers!
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions