animationPATTERNS
  • Very cool script with many, many opportunities to create cool and useful animationPatterns.
    It is a new way to make your animations more fluid and cooler.
    Try it ...

• this is hard...
  • hi there,

i'm trying to use your script (many thanks btw) and each time I apply a pattern i've got the following error message several times 

"property doesn't support expressions: anonymous"

after closing quite a few error boxes with the same message and starting to believe that AE is trapped in a loop, the box doesn't come anymore and the animation pattern is indeed applyed.

what i am doing wrong to get this message.

i am using CS6 on mac.

thanks.
  • Hey Miguel, 

to which property you want to apply the pattern?
    seems like you`ve got a lot of properties selected, which are not able to use expressions... so for all of them you get the alert "property doesn't support expressions:" and the name of this property.

maybe a screenshot could help me figure out whats wrong.

Regards,
    Markus
  • Like ease and wizz on steroids! My biggest complaint with E&W is it affects ALL keyframes equally. I'm used to splitting layers just to create a different expression. Not anymore!
  • Hello there,

Many thanks for this useful script ! 

Unfortunately i have exactly the same problem as Miguel ! each time i apply a pattern i've got this annoying message "property doesn't support expressions:i'm using a mac with After Effects CS6 too... 
  • Hi there,

to all who had problems with "property doesn't support expressions: anonymous":
    you can download version 1.21 now, where that bug seems to be fixed!
    Thanks to Michael Schneider, who tested it, as for me the problem wasn`t reproduceable!

Regards,
    Markus
  • Why are all the defaults missing in the drop down menu in the animationPatterns panel? I put the .jsx and folder in the UI Panels folder (done this several times with other plugins before - so not new to the installation method). Am I missing something? Really looking forward to trying this out!
  • Hey Jason,
    created the AnimationPatterns-layer in the comp you want to use it? Just open a comp and click the right button on the palette.
    If you did this and there are still no patterns in the list, please send me a message with system details, CS Version... 
    Regards
    Markus
  • Hi,

I would like to use this wonderful script but was wondering if it works with After Effects CS3 on Mac?

Many thanks

• Hey Darren,

I tested it on CS3. Windows or Mac doesn't make a difference, so just try it! 
    btw have a look at compatibility on the product pages... it tells you if your Version is supported!

Regards
    Markus
  • got it working. for some reason the first time I created the animationpatterns layer, they didn't show up, but they did the second time. I have this other script (no UI) that distributes layers in 2d or 3d space, but it takes like 3 or 4 times to get it to load for some reason. No worries tho. This is an awesome little tool you've come up with Markus!

Thanks,
    Jason
  • Hi Markus.

apologies for the late reply, i did thought that i would get an email letting me know about updates on this thread.

but after my little rant i can only say thanks for your reply, i just downloaded the script and it seems to work perfectly.

it is fantastic. 

Many thanks.
  • Hi, 

Excellent script!

Just 1 question:
    When I make a new curve animation preset, is it possible to save it somehow? Or to include it in the default presets?

Thank you for all your effort,
    JC
  • Hey Joris,

Thanks! Nice to hear that! 
    Sure you can save them! Just select the slider-effects with the patterns you want to save and click "create new animation preset" in your effects&presets window. Next time you need it just apply this preset to your AnimationPatterns-layer.

Regards,
    Markus
  • Why didn't I think of that?
    Thanks for the info!

- j
  • This is a terrific tool. I highly recommend it. Took me a little while to understand what it is. But how I understand it is that it's a collection of preset interpolation F-curves that you can assign to specific keyframes. So keyframes 1~3, you can set to Rubber In/Out. Keyframes 3~5 you can set to ease Bounce Out. You can modify the preset curves to make the movement snappier or looser or make your own from scratch.

It's really powerful. If you're a fan of Ease & Wizz, this takes it to the next level.

The only downside it seems is that all these curve expressions seem to slow down After Effects a little. (Probably the fault of AE's slow JavaScript handling, and nothing wrong with this product.)
  • Amazing work!
    This is what I was looking for after getting a bit tired of ease and wizz! :)
    This is much more scalable and useable!
    Just one thing, I managed to save my own animation styles, but this works in the current project only. How do I make it to be saved so that even in a new project, when I press the "create animation patterns layer" button, I get my own animations as well?
  • Hey Riccardo,

Thanks and nice to hear that you like it! I'm actually working on a more advanced version, where saving your own Patterns is going to be a bit more comfortable! For now, you can select all the slider-effects in you AnimationPatterns-layer and save them to an effects-preset. Then you can allways apply this preset to your AnimationPatterns-layer in any project. If you want them to get loaded by clicking "create animation patterns layer" just overwrite the "AniPatterns_default.ffx" in the animationPATTERNS-folder. Just be aware that effectpresets in AE are not downwards-compatible!

By the way, if you guys got ideas how to better up this script, write me a message!

Regards
    Markus
  • Hey Markus,
    looks good!
    I am interessted, will this mork in AE in German?
    Or do i have to switsh languages?

Thx
    Stefan
  • Thanks Markus, will probably write for some suggestions ;)
    It already became my fav script!
  • Hey Markus,

Great script, just one question - it doesn't seem to be playing nice with bezier curved paths. Is there a way to make it function similarly to the 'curvaceous' button on Ease and Whizz?

Other than its top notch, will proably replace E&W by 80% in my daily workflow, and more than likely 100% if the bezier curves are possible! Keep up the good work

David
  • Hey David,

there is no way to get it working with the current version, sorry! I already got a new interpolation method which is able to handle bezier curved motion paths... and some more;) but this is going to come with a whole new version of animationPATTERNS. But there's still some more features i need to get working before i`ll publish it. thanks for the feedback!

again if you guys got ideas or wishes for the next version don`t hesitate to write me a message! I`ll see what i can do;)

Regards
    Markus
  • IGNORE. My fault, I always figure things out when I write it out!!

Hi Markus, Im having an issue with your script. Im running AE CS5.5 and when I select the dropdown menu '- AE default -'  nothing appears. Your script has worked fine before, no problems, but when my projects become large the script stops working and nothing appears in the drop down menu?

Do you have any ideas why this might happen? Could it be a conflict? Maybe a memory issue? Im runnning AE with 16gig of RAM so not sure if thats it.

Ive tried re-installing the script but that does nothing.

Thanks for any help you may have
    Cameron.

• IGNORE this one too. Already find out. Sorry!

Hi Cameron. Can you please tell me how you solve this issue? I'm having the same problem with AE CS5.5
    IGNORE. My fault, I always figure things out when I write it out!!

Hi Markus, Im having an issue with your script. Im running AE CS5.5 and when I select the dropdown menu '- AE default -'  nothing appears. Your script has worked fine before, no problems, but when my projects become large the script stops working and nothing appears in the drop down menu?

Do you have any ideas why this might happen? Could it be a conflict? Maybe a memory issue? Im runnning AE with 16gig of RAM so not sure if thats it.

Ive tried re-installing the script but that does nothing.

Thanks for any help you may have
    Cameron.

• I just wanted to post to say: Great Script! Thanks for your contribution to the community!
  • Very nice script!
  • last version in about like 1.24, not 1.25
  • last version in about like 1.24, not 1.25
    Please refer to this faq to upgrade NYOP products: How to upgrade "Name Your Own Price" products
  • Hey Mike,

thanks for reporting, changed it! Version was already the newest though under the hood.
    @Lloyd: problem was just the text in the help dialogues about section, fixed now!

Regards
    Markus
  • sometimes every keyframe of a composition loses the pattern and I have to go one after the other clicking on it, asking for the pattern and applying it one more time. This is very annoying 
  • Sorry... this was meant for the Pro Version:

Hi Pedro, 
    If the Pattern is the right one when you click analyse keyframe then I've got some ideas... Have you maybe renamed the comp the patternlayers are in? This would break the expression and get fixed reapplying a pattern. Unfortunatly there is no way to change this! If you didn't rename anything, please open a support ticket and write me what you did step by step that i can figure out whats wrong.

Best
    Markus
  • Thanks for this script. How can I add a pattern with an expression attached? Let's say the 'Keyframe Overshoot' from http://www.motionscript.com/articles/bounce-and-overshoot.html ? I can't get it to work...

This is the expression:
    freq = 3;
    decay = 5;

n = 0;
    if (numKeys > 0){
    n = nearestKey(time).index;
    if (key(n).time > time) n--;
    }
    if (n > 0){
    t = time - key(n).time;
    amp = velocityAtTime(key(n).time - .001);
    w = freq*Math.PI*2;
    value + amp*(Math.sin(t*w)/Math.exp(decay*t)/w);
    }else
    value
  • Hey Christoph,

this Expression creates the bounce after the second Keyframe... You can see it on the screenshot. So take a linear pattern, add a keyframe at 3 seconds with the value 100 and apply the Expression.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Markus

ap.jpg
    1213 x 682 - 148K
  • Hallo Markus,

This works if I apply it directly to the animated position but not if I use it with the pattern. The slider shows the correct values, but the object/layer animated does not react at all.
  • Hey Christoph,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tly0jmn3k4l6co/motionscript_overshoot.ffx?dl=0

attached you can find a .ffx you would add to you animationpatterns-layer. It will add a pattern called "motionscript_overshoot" which uses the expression. I adapted decay and frequency a bit... maybe that was the problem on your side.

Regards

Markus

• Wow! Thanks Markus. This works. I don't know why it didn't. One thing I just realized, is, that I still can apply values of influence to the keyframes of the animated property (as easy ease, etc.). It makes the original pattern somehow smaller. Do you recommend manipulating the influence or better keep the keyframes linear?
  • Just play around with it! The expression applied to the pattern is pretty cool! You can also type in different values for: "freq" and "decay". You can achieve a lot of different results.

Regards

Markus

• Great tool!

Here's a cheat sheet I made.

Boris

• hey Boris,

Sweet! Cool overview on the default patterns.
    Thanks a lot!

Regards
    Markus
  • hi,
    somehow there are no expressions in my -AE default- dropdown menu. 
    there were similar posts, but the guys figured it out by them selves and didn't write how.
    i seem to be not as smart as them ... what could i possibly have done wrong?

i am running cc on win10.  
    thx

• somehow there are no expressions in my -AE default- dropdown menu. 

Hi Alexander,
    make sure you have created the patternlayer in your comp. Click the "Create'n'Update"  button to do so.

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi,

Thanks for the tool. If the animation pattern is 4 seconds long, e.g. the rubber out curve is 4 seconds long, is this how long the animation takes when applied? How does the pattern adjust to keyframes when applied? I am working with quick animations and wondering how it will translate.

Or for instance if I make two keyframes 8 seconds apart, how does it work?

Thank you,
    Paul
  • Hey Paul, it will always stretch or compress the pattern to the duration your keyframes are apart from each other.

Cheers
    Markus
  • Hi Markus!

Awesome tool. I was wondering - is there a way to glue in, and out? So I create 2 keyframes on 1 layer for the in movement, starting extremely slow, then pausing a bit for the other 2 keyframes to make it come in FAST and extremely slow again in the end. All the others have an 'out' option, except for this one.