qp Nuclear LUT
  • Hello! Very good solution, but can you add ability to load custom luts (.mga, .3dl, .cube)? Or add cinestyle lut in colourspace menu http://www.technicolor.com/download/file/fid/5556?file=cinestyle-lut.zip

Thanks!
  • Hi, thanks for your suggestion. This plugin doesn't use tables of values to apply the transforms, instead it uses mathematical functions that allow the values to go into over-brights and also allows the transform to go the other way, from linear back to log space. I have no plans to include any such functionality, however there are plugins including Red Giant Software's LUT Buddy and the built-in Apply Color LUT that let you use .3dl and .cube LUTS.
  • Thank's so much. The reversibility & overbrights make this very very useful!
  • One question, which working color space is this designed to work in?
    It seems to work well in Linear REC709 but is that correct? 
  • Hi Nils, Yes, this will work in Rec709 fine. It's the linear setting that's important, and to preserve RGB on import. There will, of course be differences depending on which colour profile you use (i.e. Rec709 or sRGB).
  • Lovely plugin! I just donated. I do have a feature request. I would love the ability to custom luts (.cube). This would really help in a production pipeline. Thank you.
  • Hi Josh, thanks for the kind words, and for donating. You can use .cube LUTs with the built-in effect Apply Color LUT, or Red Giant Software's LUT Buddy, which is free from their website. I don't have any plans to update qp Nuclear LUT with this functionality just yet, although may consider it for the future.
  • Hi Josh, thanks for the kind words, and for donating. You can use .cube LUTs with the built-in effect Apply Color LUT, or Red Giant Software's LUT Buddy, which is free from their website. I don't have any plans to update qp Nuclear LUT with this functionality just yet, although may consider it for the future.
    Thanks Christian! Look forward to it. Problem with Apply Color LUT is you can't work in a linear workflow. LUT Buddy seems to never ready my .cube LUTs from Davinci. Lovely work on your plugin! I'm using it now on a feature. I had a quick question do I keep compensate for scene-refereed profiles on in project settings (on by default) or turn it off?
  • Hi Josh, I'd leave it on. To be honest I've not tried turning that setting off, however in my tests it's always been on and the resultant image has measured exactly how I would expect it to be. Interesting point about using LUTs in linear workflow.
  • Thanks, Christian for the response! Yeah, it's crucial for me to always comp in a 32bit linear environment. Thanks again for the great plugin. 
  • Christian, would you happen to know the math to convert a linear file (created in nuke) to AlexaLogC?  I can get close using your plugin and adding a cineon converter "Log to Log" and adjusting that.  I was hoping your plugin would do it but it doesn't.  
    Here's the situation, we were given linear files as our masters.  I'm fairly positive they were converted in Nuke.  We were previously working in and delivering linear files but now they want LogC dpx.  I was hoping for a solution so I don't have to run every file through Nuke's linear to AlexaLogC conversion.  Yes, I now convert the files first and work in log colorspace but many linear colorspace shots are too far along to convert.  
    If I knew what exactly Nuke is doing for this conversion, I'd be home free.  Thanks for the great plugin!
  • Hi Greg,

The plugin should do this already. Just choose "From Linear (out)" from the "Direction" dropdown. This will do the equivalent of setting AlexaV3LogC as the colourspace in Nuke's write node. However you should ensure you're also doing the following:
    - Project set to 32-bit, Linearize Working Space, sRGB or Rec709 Working Space
    - Footage is interpreted to Preserve RGB
    - When rendering, in your Output Module's Color Management tab, make sure that the Preserve RGB checkbox is ticked.

It's a bit of a faff, but you have to go through this to negate any of the colour space transforms AE will attempt to apply throughout the pipeline.
  • Well working in 32bit leads me to another problem.  We're using CS6 and writing DPXplus files.  If I try to render in 32 bit the files are black, at 16bit they're fine.  When working with linear files we have to render at 32 bit or half the brights are gone.  
    BTW whoever chose to convert these files to AlexaLogC didn't do us any favors.  The shots are over-exposed and white point is way up at 3.0.  Regular cineon or log doesn't blow out the the brights like AlexaLogC does.  

I'll try your suggestion and see if it works.  Thanks for the info.  If it works this could save me a lot of time and effort.
  • I'll look into the black frames issue you've mentioned. It shouldn't do that. Thanks!
  • I've tried just about every combination of preserve RGB on and off as well as working spaces and although I can get the viewer to display the linear and log files correctly with your plugin and linearize workspace on, I cannot render in 32 bit to DPX plus and 16 bit render results in massive clipping of the overbrights.  Not to mention that linearize workspace is a nightmare ... I can't believe any comp would survive the trip - each element is now interpreted differently than when the workspace was none.  I feel I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I were to start a comp in linear workspace and then have to render with it off.  I've yet to see anyone work with the workspace to anything other than none and have files render as they should.  
    I don't really like this option in Nuke either but at least in Nuke you just export the format you need and it does the rest.  
  • DPX plus seems to be incapable of handling a 32 bit render and writing a 16 bit file.  I get nothing but black frames.  If I write EXR files things work great, but how confusing is it to have a EXR file in LogC?  I think conversion from 32bit EXR to 16bit DPX in Nuke is my only viable choice.   

• Any suggestions for when AE doesn't allow you to Preserve RGB? I noticed certain file codecs / formats dont seem to allow this, especially if they contain an embedded profile. How can I get around that so Preserve RGB isnt greyed out?
  • Hi Jason.

I'll have to look into this properly but off the top of my head I think you'd have to apply a gamma correction to the layer to "linearise" it before adding qp Nuclear LUT. Maybe you could try using QPNL to set the inverse gamma (say Rec709 to linear) first?
  • Any chance of getting redlogFilm as well added to this sometime?
  • Hi Ethan, I'll see if I can find the formulas!