BAO Mask Brush
  • Hi Daniel,

the plugin was not exactly designed to work this way.
    However you can do it like so:
    1_you can animate "Repetition" (number of brushes) AND "End point" accordingly. (or start point, both...)
    For example, if you have 10 brushes and the end point set to 50%, then animate to have 20 brushes and end point at 100%, you'll see the 10 first brushes stay in place and the 10 more appearing along the path one by one...
    2_you can also animate the reveal of the brush in a precomp, and use this precomp as a brush. If you play with the "Time sampling" you can get what you expect. This method allows you to animate the reveal the way you want. In my opinion, this is the most flexible way.

Hope it helps!
    Cheers,
    François
  • Hi.
    I just installed trial version right now on Mac, AE CC.
    But some frames don't render.
    Is it because it's a trial version or is it a problem?

Here is a example:
  • Hi William,
    the bug is not due to the trial version.
    I don't know your project, but I would say it's a "cache" issue.
    Do you use a rasterized layer as a brush? It could come from here...

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi,

Is there a way to have full random for time sampling  but have it not animated? I'm animating a stream if binary (1's and 0's) along a mask. The brush I have set to a composition with two frames, an image of 1 & 0. Full random works well to make the stream random between the two, but I can't figure out how to have the brush not flash between the two frames. Essentially I need a full random still frame option under time sampling.

I attached my file.
    zip
    zip
    Project - 001.zip
  • Hi Jonas,

you need to set "Time step" (in the randomness topic) to 0, as this option controls geometry AND time sampling.
    I admit it's a bit counter-intuitive... I'll make 2 seperate controls in the next version.

Cheers,
    François
  • Well look at that, it works! Thanks for the quick help. I had my workplace purchase this for me and it's an excellent plugin.
  • So now I'm getting a glitch where certain brushes are showing both frames overlapping like so:

www.jonasnaimark.com/temp/glitch.PNG

zip
    zip
    Project - 001.zip
  • This is the firsts and last instances overlaping.
    You can fix it by setting either start or end point.
    For example, in your project, you can set start point to 3% or 4% (depends on ratio between mask length and number of brushes) instead of 0%

Cheers,
    François
  • That did it! You rock François thanks :)
  • Based on the trial, this seems like a really powerful and useful plugin. However, not having the ability to step-animate the number of brush instances along the path (without changing the spacing between instances) is a huge hinderance. This should function similar to how you keyframe the number of copies in a shape-layer repeater. Only then will this replicate the same power of Photoshop custom brushes and brush strokes (which, to Adobe's discredit, is unthinkable as to why that's not available in AE v12). 

Really hope to see this feature in the future. 
  • Hi Casimir,

in fact, you can animate the number of brush instances AND the proportion of the path they align on (with Start, End, and Offset properties). So, animating both gives you a full control.
    If it's not exactly what you meant, feel free to explain me a bit further, it could be useful for a future update (and for other users).

Cheers,
    François
  • Really awesome plugin, I'm wondering how the twisting effect in the Squash and Stretch demo (at 0:25 with the pin up girl) is achieved. It looks very 3D, but try as I might, I've been unable to reproduce the effect. The closest I've gotten is using Mask Avenger's 3D expression, and rotating the created null, but this rotates the whole image uniformly, and onle works along the mask, not around. Can you shed any light on how that effect was done?
  • Hi Aapo Saaristo,

glad you like it!
    For the pin-up, it's only 2D rotation. I think the 3D look comes from the mix between rotation and Squash & Stretch, so, sorry, no big secret to reveal... Or may be, just like me, you've been watching Betty Page's pictures with Red and Green 3D glasses too much when younger, and now you see her in volume everywhere ;-)

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi,
    I love this plug-in. 
    Sometimes, it will not appear when I'm using. 
    How can I render ?

I attached my file.
    zip
    zip
    test_cc.zip
  • Hi,
    I just looked at your project, and I can see the bug too.
    The layer used as brush isn't recognized... I'll make some tests and tell you as soon as possible.
    Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Hideki Kawahara,

I think I could track the bug. The 'problem' now is I can reproduce it only from your project. If I redo the exact same project on my side, I don't see it...
    Can you open a support ticket so we can try to find a solution?

Thanx,
    François
  •  Thanks for the quick help. I will send a message in support ticket.
  • Hi everyone!

The bug described below has been fixed, and the update (v1.6) is now available.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi!
    I really appreciate it!
  • What am I doing wrong.  I draw a mask path on a solid.  Then I drew a shape layer (star).  I applied Mask Brush to layer and the stars do not follow the path...in fact they aren't on it at all.  Thanks for your help.  I am excited about using this, but clearly don't know how.  Thanks.
  • Hi Mark,

from what you describe, if you use a shape layer (here, the star), you have to draw it in the center of the composition. Cos' a shape layer is treated by AE like a composition's size layer.

Hope it solves your issue. If not, just send me your project and I'll take a look at it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Thanks.  That was it.
  • Is there any way only draw a single brush instance on a path?  The lowest value I can set is 2 repetitions, which actually gives me 3 brush instances on my path.  I would actually like to be able to set it all the way down to 0 instances, and then increase that to a single instance with keyframing.
  • Hi David,

thanx for reporting, this is a bug I have to fix...
    If you need to use it with a single brush before I can fix it, there is a workaround:
    use a precomp as a brush, and leave 2 blank images at the end (or beginning) of the precomp.
    Then you can play with the frame selector, and you still get 3 brushes (at start) but 2 of them are blank.
    I'll try to fix it as soon as possible, but it won't be before next week...
    Cheers,
    François
  • Thank you for the quick response and also for the workaround.
  • Uhhhhh.... two things:

1.  That is the best opening demo I've seen on this site.  Love the music and build up (something not common to product demos)
    2.  I can't wait until I get paid next week and can grab this  Fucking brilliant.
  • Hi David and everyone,

the repetition bug's been fixed, the new version is available.
    Sorry it took longer than expected, the smallest things can lead to a lot of work :-)

Cheers,
    François
  • Thank you for fixing the repetition bug!

I have two feature requests:

1. A new Time Sampling method: Loop with random start frame

2. Motion blur on brush strokes animated by offset parameter

Thanks again for the great plugin!

Elaborating on #1: An example use case would be where I want a lot of brush strokes of walking characters. I want them all walking along the same path, but I don't want them all walking in perfect synchronization. If each brush stroke started at a random point in the loop and continued animating from there, they would all appear to be different. Another example would be animated smoke sprites along a curve. Anything with animation where the individual brush strokes shouldn't have a uniform appearance.
  • Hi David,

the new Time sampling method is a good idea, and to be honest, I'm already working on the motion blur for the brushes (but it seems it'll be a long work...)

Cheers,
    François
  • Yeah, yeah. I don't need your plugin (yet?); I came here to say that I like your style! This looks awesome. And in combination with that music it's dope!
  • Thanx Konrad!
    And don't worry, you'll need it some day... ;-)

Cheers,
    François
  • A sample AE file of the brushes you used would be a great help, I'm looking at the charcoal looking one on your demo videos.

Cheers

Gary
  • Hi Gary,

for "charcoal" like brushes, I just used photoshop standard brushes (I converted them to .png first)
    To be honest, I wanted to give them with the plugin, but they're Adobe's property...

You can either use an app to convert it, or from Photoshop just stamp the brush in a transparent layer and save it as PSD or PNG. You can also find a whole lot of free brushes online, already converted...

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi there!  Great plugin; thanks for making it!

Quick question, that I'll see if I can describe here:

•I'm using Mask Brush Fill, and I'd like to fill a mask with a random assortment of objects that don't change.

•I placed all of those objects in sequence as the layer Mask Brush Fill pulls from.

•Problem: I tried to use the setting "Time sampling: Random still frame," but that caused it to use multiple copies of just one frame of the sequence, so my mask was filled with only one object.  "Full random" almost works, except that I'd like it not to change over time.  Is there a way to get it to use each frame placed randomly, but not animated?  

Thanks for any help!
  • Hi!

Sorry for the late reply...
    In fact, your question points to a bug I thought I had fixed, but it seems I didn't :-(
    I'll fix it and explain how to do it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi again,

you can download the new version with the bug fixed.

So, for your question, you're right, "Full random" is the way to go.
    If you want the brush not to change over time, just set the "time step" (in Randomness topic) to 0.

Hope it helps!
    Cheers,
    François
  • Leroy,

Thank you for the fantastic update in v1.8!

I'm wondering if it might be possible for a future version to apply depth sorting to the brush strokes when in 3D mode?

Also, I would like to repeat my previous request, which I believe would be extremely useful-  A new Time Sampling method: Loop with random start frame

Thanks,
    David

• I bought this plugin since it came out and i love it!!! Bao is one of the best plugins makers :)
    Gonna get Mask Avenger soon.
  • Hi guys!

Glad you like the new version! :-)
    David, I plan to add this time sampling mode, but couldn't find time yet... But I will.

Cheers,
    François
  • keeps crashing when I start from an Illustrator triangle with gradient fill....

• seems to be solved, though
  • Hi Hans,

sorry for the late reply.
    Is your mask brush instance inside a time-remapped precomp?
    Cos' there's still a bug about it that I'm trying to fix (no result yet, but I still have hope...)

And about your other question, yes, I'm planning to use lights, but it might take a while before I can do it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hello François
    no problem, 
    it was indeed in a different time mapped comp, 

Waiting for the lights then  :-)
    great plugin, will try to expermiment more with it

regards

• Hi everyone,

a new version of Mask Brush is now available.
    The time-remap bug Hans noticed has been fixed, and I finally could add the "Loop (random start)" Time sampling that David's been asking for (for quite a while now!).

Hope you like it!

Cheers,
    François
  • Leroy,

Thank you for the fantastic update in v1.8!

I'm wondering if it might be possible for a future version to apply depth sorting to the brush strokes when in 3D mode?

Also, I would like to repeat my previous request, which I believe would be extremely useful-  A new Time Sampling method: Loop with random start frame

Thanks,
    David

Yes I agree it definitely needs depth sorting otherwise there is no point in having 3D really.
  • Hi Ben,
    I'm working on it, should be available soon...and with better camera support too!
    Cheers,
    François
  • I have noticed that when using the mask brush 3D with the camera that when I rotate the camera around 360 the objects dont actually pass over one another.  They always remain facing the camera and they always remain in the same position in 3D space ie. the rear ones stay at the rear and the front ones stay at the front.  Its kind of an illusion of 3D but not really 3D.  If it was really 3d then they would pass over one another in space but they never do so the illusion is ruined.   Please correct if Im wrong here.  Am I missing something or perhaps its a setting?
  • Hi Ben,
    you're right, depth sorting isn't supported yet. Also, there is a limitation on camera use (rotations and point of interest are not fully supported).
    But the good news is: the new update will fix both.
    You'll actually have the choice to 3D sort or not and you'll get full camera support.
    It's almost ready and should be available next week.

Hope you'll like it!
    Cheers,
    François