Rubberize It!
  • Orrin .... super tool. I just got it and am feeling my way around.  I get a fair amount of crashing of AE-CS6 on my Win 7-64 rig.  I have 6GB of VRAM on my GTX Titan video card and 24GB of system RAM.
    I guess the Puppet Tool mesh generation is a hog ... ???
    I'd very much appreciated any help you can throw my way!
    Best wishes ....
  • Hi John- 
    Hmmm....We haven't heard any reports of crashing. 
    Did you get any crashes when you applied just Puppet Pins (prior to applying Rubberize It).

It would alp to know exactly what you're doing when it crashes...
  • Hi John- 
    Hmmm....We haven't heard any reports of crashing. 
    Did you get any crashes when you applied just Puppet Pins (prior to applying Rubberize It).

It would alp to know exactly what you're doing when it crashes...
    Well Orrin - I feel right now like the guy who has been hearing a noise from under his car, and finally takes it in to the shop for repairs. But suddenly, the car is running better than ever!
    I just tried to crash using lots of Puppet Pins and crazy deforms through Rubberize It - and it's performing superbly!
    Perhaps my playing around has led me to a workflow that I now have to try to replicate.
    If anything happens I'll try to find out what I was doing, but in the mean time -
    Sorry for any alarm .... and thanks again for this amazing tool.
  • Ha! That happens all the time to me too.

Glad to hear its working...next time that happens try restarting your computer, and trash your preferences if that doesn't fix it.

• Hello Again Orrin .... If I may ask ....
    I am making progress in learning to use Rubberize It (somewhat slowly as it is), but find I'm a bit behind the class curve because of my very limited used of the Puppet Tool.
    I can produce movements in my tests that are interesting, but feel I don't have a good basic understanding of setting it up so I'll get something predictable.
    Is there a chance you might put together, for those like me, a short TUT or so showing how you set up something from a blank comp?
  • I can- but I'll admit, I can never can tell exactly what its going to do either. Dan has written a script that kinda has a mind of its own...you just have to go with it and adjust accordingly.

I've found lot has to do with the shape of the object, the position of the pins, what pins are clean, the type of motion you've got going, and a bunch of other factors....its almost like each time you do it you're going to get a different result, so a Tut might not be of much good.

• John- make sure to play with the number of Triangles and the Expansion function under your Mesh - that might also help...or not, depending on what you're going for.
  • OK Orrin .... it's coming together. I'm actually now finding it better to work with this way.
    Thanks for the help!
  • Howdy,

I love Rubberize It! and I am also just getting into the Monkey stuff as well, great stuff. These scripts make me look better than I really am.

Hey, where can I find music like you have in the Rubberize It video ? What search terms (tags, filters, whatever), and what vendor ?

Thanks again,

Fritz

• Howdy,

I love Rubberize It! and I am also just getting into the Monkey stuff as well, great stuff. These scripts make me look better than I really am.Hey, where can I find music like you have in the Rubberize It video ? What search terms (tags, filters, whatever), and what vendor ?Thanks again,Fritz
    Hi Fritz- 
     Much thanks!
    The Preliger Archives are a great source for that kind of vintage, public domain music (and footage). Theres lots of industrials that have credit sequences that have no VO you can pull from. Best of all its free!

I think I might have searched Education...maybe?

• Love this plugin! Nicely done. I do have a question about scaling an object using Rubberize. I can only get Rubberize to work when scaling an object only if I use B mode. If I use A mode it doesn't work. Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks for a great script!
  • Love this plugin! Nicely done. I do have a question about scaling an object using Rubberize. I can only get Rubberize to work when scaling an object only if I use B mode. If I use A mode it doesn't work. Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks for a great script!
    Hey Jamie- 
     You're right- certain transformations work better with one formula or the other...and in some cases don't work with one at all - for example, scale with A.

Keep in mind that you can also fake it by splitting a layer and applying a separate transformation on the second half prior to when it becomes visible. For example, you can scale up the first half and when it hits, add a rotation to the second half, so it wiggles around a bit. 

See the Faking Physics section in the FAQs for details.

Hope that helps.

• First of all, great plug in. I've been having a great time messing around with it and now using it in projects.

I have a question (that may be a feature request for subsequent versions.)

If I have tweaked "custom" settings, and I re-open the project, Rubberize It defaults to "Rubber" material.

If I want to fine tune my custom settings (and I failed to write down what they were ... DOH!) is there any way to extract the settings from a current pin and load them back into the sliders for further refinement?

The feature request might be something like you can do in Animation Patterns Pro, where there's a button that loads the *current* pattern back into the script UI settings.

Thanks for any response, or your consideration.
  • First of all, great plug in. I've been having a great time messing around with it and now using it in projects.

I have a question (that may be a feature request for subsequent versions.)

If I have tweaked "custom" settings, and I re-open the project, Rubberize It defaults to "Rubber" material.

If I want to fine tune my custom settings (and I failed to write down what they were ... DOH!) is there any way to extract the settings from a current pin and load them back into the sliders for further refinement?

The feature request might be something like you can do in Animation Patterns Pro, where there's a button that loads the *current* pattern back into the script UI settings.

Thanks for any response, or your consideration.
    Hi Declan - you make an excellent point. We'll put it on the list. Please feel free to send other suggestions if you have them.

• Having problems getting this to work. Installed OK. Created text and it was suggested I preComp which I did. Hit rubberize and nothing happens 
  • Having problems getting this to work. Installed OK. Created text and it was suggested I preComp which I did. Hit rubberize and nothing happens 
    Hi Clare- this might sound silly[ but did u apply puppet pins to the object?
  • Hi,
    Still having problems getting this to work on Shape or Text layers. I do preComp them.
    Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks
    Clare
  • Hi Clare- can u open up a support ticket and I'll check it out.
    -oz
  • What font did you use in the video?  It looks fantastic!
  • What font did you use in the video?  It looks fantastic!
    Hi Jason- it was Burbank from House Industries
  • Great script! Just bought it and am having a blast. I was wondering: would it be possible to apply the script to other parameters besides puppet pins? It's a really nice set of wiggle scripts and I would like to apply them to Position, Scale, Rotate, or any other selected parameter. I have some other scripts (adapted from Dan Ebbert's work) that add Frequency, Decay and Amp sliders to certain parameters, but it would be much better to use these more advanced algorithms and the presets.   
  • Is there an issue with the latest AE CC? I've not used rubberize it for a while and just trying in a project but it's INCREDIBLY slow - several minutes after clicking rubberize. This is on a pre-comp about 500x500 px and 6 puppet pins.

I just applied a third time and got an expression error - timeout while waiting for the engine.

This is on a recent high end PC build - 8 core 4.5GHz 64Gb RAM etc.

Any ideas? It shouldn't be this slow.

Thanks.
  • Is there an issue with the latest AE CC? I've not used rubberize it for a while and just trying in a project but it's INCREDIBLY slow - several minutes after clicking rubberize. This is on a pre-comp about 500x500 px and 6 puppet pins.

I just applied a third time and got an expression error - timeout while waiting for the engine.

This is on a recent high end PC build - 8 core 4.5GHz 64Gb RAM etc.

Any ideas? It shouldn't be this slow.

Thanks.
    Hey Paul- We haven't heard of any issues...can you send me the project file? 
    Also- make sure you have the latest version...
    -oz
  • It seems broken in the latest AE on Mac Yosemite. I cannot access the controls and clicking rubberize makes it a twisty mess.
    Jamie
  • It seems broken in the latest AE on Mac Yosemite. I cannot access the controls and clicking rubberize makes it a twisty mess.
    Jamie
    Hi Jamie- Can you open a support ticket- we'll get it straightened out.
    Thanks.
  • Hi all,

Just went to use Rubberize It in a self-promo project. I have not used it in a while and realized I had a previous version. I was not able to click any of the sliders to adjust Freq, Decay, etc.
    Downloaded the newest version (1.0.2) and still no go. I am using After Effects CC 2015 (13.7.2.3) and OS X 10.11.3

Am I  missing something???
  • Hi all,

Just went to use Rubberize It in a self-promo project. I have not used it in a while and realized I had a previous version. I was not able to click any of the sliders to adjust Freq, Decay, etc.
    Downloaded the newest version (1.0.2) and still no go. I am using After Effects CC 2015 (13.7.2.3) and OS X 10.11.3

Am I  missing something???
    Hi Lee- Im assuming you're clicking on the Custom setting in the dropdown...that should make the sliders active...is it not?

• Ah! See! There you go! a simple solution for a simple minded man! That was it. Told you it's been a while :o
  • Ah! See! There you go! a simple solution for a simple minded man! That was it. Told you it's been a while :o
    I like easy problems with easy answers!
  • Hello! Very nice tool! 1 question!

On a precomposed 2d transparent animation, im apply the pins to nulla positons with an expression. My question is that i can still aply the script to the pins? It would work?
  • Hello! Very nice tool! 1 question!

On a precomposed 2d transparent animation, im apply the pins to nulla positons with an expression. My question is that i can still aply the script to the pins? It would work?

That might have been an interesting idea—to incorporate the result of any existing expressions on the Puppet Pins. But we didn’t think of it, so, unfortunately, we just replace whatever is there with our own expression.
  • Hi, thank you for creating such an interesting script!

I am currently testing out the trial version and Rubberize It! works great when using the included samples, but it will not work with my pre-comp png files.
    A PNG may not need to be pre-comped but it didn't work when it wasn't a pre-comp either.

I'm sure that this is probably user error. Would you please point me in the right direction?

I'm using AE CC 2015.3

Thank you.

I am currently testing out the trial version and Rubberize It! works great when using the included samples, but it will not work with my pre-comp png files.
    A PNG may not need to be pre-comped but it didn't work when it wasn't a pre-comp either.

I'm sure that this is probably user error. Would you please point me in the right direction?

I'm using AE CC 2015.3

Thank you.

Hi Jubilee- would you be able to send me your project so I can take a look?

I'm using AE CC 2015.3

Thank you.
    Hi Jubilee- would you be able to send me your project so I can take a look?
      ^_^ Thank you for your very fast reply, Mr. Zucker. I will PM you a link to my dropbox.
  • I'm positive that I'm out of my element here. I haven't used puppet pins until now (once I saw Rubberize It! I wanted to learn). I started by taking an image having it drop down like your example. When I Rubberize It, it's bouncy from start to finish instead of bouncy at the end. Is this something obvious I'm overlooking? As I said, I'm a noob when it comes to puppet pins, so I'm sure I could be doing something horribly wrong. 
  • I'm positive that I'm out of my element here. I haven't used puppet pins until now (once I saw Rubberize It! I wanted to learn). I started by taking an image having it drop down like your example. When I Rubberize It, it's bouncy from start to finish instead of bouncy at the end. Is this something obvious I'm overlooking? As I said, I'm a noob when it comes to puppet pins, so I'm sure I could be doing something horribly wrong. 
    Hey Jeremy-

No worries- you have it doing something so thats a good start. Its super easy...

I haven't see the project (and the next step would be to open a support ticket and send me the project, or at least a still of your set up)...but let me give you some tips.

1) Its based on acceleration, so you need to start with an ease keyframe (easy ease) and end with a linear one.

2) Try cleaning some puppet pins at the bottom of the object so the rubberized ones above it have something to play off of.

If that doesn't help, just send me a still to start with and we'll go from there.

-oz

Hey Jeremy-

No worries- you have it doing something so thats a good start. Its super easy...

I haven't see the project (and the next step would be to open a support ticket and send me the project, or at least a still of your set up)...but let me give you some tips.

1) Its based on acceleration, so you need to start with an ease keyframe (easy ease) and end with a linear one.

2) Try cleaning some puppet pins at the bottom of the object so the rubberized ones above it have something to play off of.

If that doesn't help, just send me a still to start with and we'll go from there.

-oz

YES! Thank you! I'm pretty sure it's the (lack of) ease frame. It makes perfect sense. I know just enough of AE to get me in trouble. I'll play around with it some more and send a support ticket with my sample project if needed. Thanks for the help!
  • Jeremy Andrus said: Orrin Zucker said: Jeremy Andrus said: I'm positive that I'm out of my element here. I haven't used puppet pins until now (once I saw Rubberize It! I wanted to learn). I started by taking an image having it drop down like your example. When I Rubberize It, it's bouncy from start to finish instead of bouncy at the end. Is this something obvious I'm overlooking? As I said, I'm a noob when it comes to puppet pins, so I'm sure I could be doing something horribly wrong.  Hey Jeremy-
    -oz
    YES! Thank you! I'm pretty sure it's the (lack of) ease frame. It makes perfect sense. I know just enough of AE to get me in trouble. I'll play around with it some more and send a support ticket with my sample project if needed. Thanks for the help! That was
    *exactly* what I needed! Thank you so much! I'm excited to see what I can do with this now. 
  • Hey folks.

Just purchased Rubberize It! but having an issue.  Made a simple test and applied to a 200x200 layer in a 1280x720 comp.  The "rubberization" occurs, but all of the controls remain grayed out for everything except Custom.

What am I missing?  Using CS6.

Thanks.

• Hey folks.

Just purchased Rubberize It! but having an issue.  Made a simple test and applied to a 200x200 layer in a 1280x720 comp.  The "rubberization" occurs, but all of the controls remain grayed out for everything except Custom.

What am I missing?  Using CS6.

Thanks.

Hey Mark-
    You're not missing anything. 
    The way it works is that the presets are locked until you click custom. That will activate the settings.
    So if you select Goop, and then want to adjust it, just select custom and they'll be unlocked. Not exactly sure why we did it that way...we might change it at some point...I'll put it on the list.
  • Ah, OK.  Good to know. 

Thanks.
  • Hey Orrin, this script is a LOT of fun ...and just like you said in the tutorial, you learn a ton just by playing around with it. One of the things that I am struggling with is getting the rubberized text to perform similar to the way that you've done it in the type settings video, so is there a particular way that you setup your puppet and clean pins on each letter?
  • Hey Orrin, this script is a LOT of fun ...and just like you said in the tutorial, you learn a ton just by playing around with it. One of the things that I am struggling with is getting the rubberized text to perform similar to the way that you've done it in the type settings video, so is there a particular way that you setup your puppet and clean pins on each letter?
    Hey Tommy-
    I wish there were a tried and true method- but a lot depends on how the letter is moving, the letterform itself,  the formula you use and where the clean and active pins are placed.

You can play with pre-comping too - theres a pretty big difference between how  letters react if they've been pre-comped and not.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific...

Hey Tommy-
    I wish there were a tried and true method- but a lot depends on how the letter is moving, the letterform itself,  the formula you use and where the clean and active pins are placed.

You can play with pre-comping too - theres a pretty big difference between how  letters react if they've been pre-comped and not.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific...

This response is actually a great clue Orrin. I've been playing with a lot of variations and I think the best advice you've given is to just play with it. 
  • A good additional feature to have is allow for Anticipation. Then add more features, incrementally, to allow more of the 12 Principles of Animation to be added to this product. 
  • Hey, love the plugin.  Is there any way to make the rubber effect react to the movement of pins, instead of the position of the entire composition? 

• Hey, love the plugin.  Is there any way to make the rubber effect react to the movement of pins, instead of the position of the entire composition? 
    Samuel- where you were when we were developing this thing!? Thats a great idea...wish we thought of it. Hard to tell if we'll circle back and implement...we're mainly focused on putting out new products (like the one coming out Monday ;-)

• Cntrl V and right click paste do not work to set license for tool.  What next?
  • Cntrl V and right click paste do not work to set license for tool.  What next?
  • Ron Lemen said:
    Cntrl V and right click paste do not work to set license for tool.  What next?
    maybe try typing it in?