BeatEdit for Premiere Pro
  • Hi Bernhard,
    yes, I have one other customer who reported this issue so far. I am currently traveling but I will be back at home tomorrow evening. I have only my Macbook Pro here with me, where I cannot reproduce the issue.

But I hope at home I will be able to reproduce it on any of my Windows machines.

I let you know as soon as I could check. Let’s hope that the error occurs on any of my machines, too, since this will make it much easier to fix.
  • I just got the same error on my machine as Bernard. I'm on a Windows Surface Book running Windows 10
  • Hi Mathias, Thank you so much for the response. Is it possible for someone to open a support ticket even though I only am using the demo?
    Thanks,
    Leonard Hasemannimage
  • @Leonard: Yes, you can open support tickets also if you are just using the beta. In your particular case it looks like you didn't install the 32Bit (yes 32 bit!) version of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. See here: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/beatedit-for-premiere-pro-faq/

@Ben, Bernard: I was finally able to reproduce this issue on one of my machines. I start working on a fix now...

• @Ben, @Bernard:
    I just published BeatEdit v1.03 which should fix this
    issue. If you already purchased BeatEdit, you find it in the  "My Downloads & Licenses" section of your
    aescripts customer account

https://aescripts.com/customer/account/

or the trial version at

https://aescripts.com/beatedit-for-premiere-pro/

• Everything is working great with 1.0.3 on my end.
  • Perfect! It works for me now with 1.0.3. 
    Thank you for adding functionality to Premiere that I've been begging for for years! 
    This will save me so much time and frustration. 
  • In beat assistant, it is possible to give the markers automatically a number. Is that also possible in Beat Edit? And if not, is it possible to implement this function?
  • @Theo: No, currently BeatEdit cannot generate numbers. In Premiere, the names or comments of a markers are also only shown if you hover over the marker and not as in AE, where they are always visible on top of the marker. Would such a feature still be useful for you, also if you would need to hover over the marker to see the number?

Cheers
    Mathias
  • Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your reply.
    I generate the markers in Premiere and import the project then into AE. What I'm in fact most interested in is to see how many markers are generated. Because that will be the number of edit-points I can use for the animations. Now I have to count them by hand which is a crime if there are a lot of markers...
    In addition, to  see the number would also be very helpful, even if I have to hover over the marker.

Thanks,

Theo
  • Thank you for the detailed feedback. I see much better now how this could be useful and will put it on the feature request list for the next version.

• Would there be a possibility to just generate markers for a certain BPM tempo? Without loading a music file?

Vegas for example - combined with the Vegasaur plugin - allows you to set a tempo for the the project, and have Vegasaur generate markers. It's something I miss from your plugin right now, and would be a simple (well, in my eyes ;) but worthwile addition.

Btw, you made a plugin that adds the most important thing to Premiere: beats editing. Awesome work!
  • Hi Frank,
    thank you for this feature request. I have to think about whether there is a way to add it without adding too many confusing elements to the user interface. For now, you can do that with BeatAssistant for After Effects (and then bring the markers from the AE project as sequence markers into your PPro project): https://aescripts.com/beat-assistant
  • Hey.
    I'm not able to install the Trail-Version. Cannot open the zpx-files, although i'd downloaded it already thrice. Any suggestions?

• Hi Christian,
    can you please open a support ticket here
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
    and describe exactly what you are doing and what is not working? Best attach some screenshots.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • I'v mentioned this in my eralier posts, but as a repetition I'm someone who doesn feel like in home editing to the beat. So my initial thoughts about Beat Editor were very low.... After I bought this I've been using it a lot. Last time today I had a deadline running to the last minute. A video without anykind of soundtrack was about to be rendered and I had just moments before I had to finish it with some music in it. Within five minutes I was able to cut songs into pieces and make those fit the moods of the video and move from song to another. Adobe Audition has Remix funtion that lets you make music clips shorter or longer, but that doesnt help you to customize the track to the finest detail. 

So this is only to thank you for this product! It's super!
  • Thank you for those kind words, Miika :-)
  • This is a neat product, but I'm finding that it doesn't do a very good job of finding the beat. It usually takes about 20 seconds into the song before the beat syncs up, then, it starts drifting some too.

Does it matter if I'm using 'temp' demo music or does a higher 'resolution' audio file make a difference?

Thanks,

Jim
  • Hi James,
    I am surprised to hear that you find the prediction not accurate. BeatEdit uses a pretty robust state of the art beat tracker. It also analyzes the entire song before predicting the beats, so it should not be the case that it takes some before it syncs up. I can only imagine that this happens if a) the beat is actually still changing or very vague during the beginning of the song.

Also a pretty high compressed mp3 should be good enough for the beat detection. The analysis is pretty robust for these kinds of quality changes.

During the beta tests, I even got the feedback from musicians that the beat detection is very accurate. But of course any automated methods for beat detection is not 100% accurate for all songs. Actually the only songs where I personally really found issues was with VERY old gramophone records of really poor quality. But there, I guess most of the problem was that the temp was always changing a little.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • I've had a situation in the past where I used two computers (desktop & laptop) to do my job depending on the situation. RedGiant, Videocopilot etc have licenses that enable users to use their products with two computers (to enable this kind of workflow), but not simultaneously. Now I've been years in a situation where I use only desktop, until... 

So my question is :D is BeatEditor only for one computer per license or can same user use the one license with two of his computers.
  • Yes, we have the same policy here (you can install it on two machines if they are both your machines and not used at the same time). :-)
  • Hi,

I was wondering if BeatEdit also automatically detects audio peaks. Similar to the FCP peak detection feature.

Thanks!
  • I would like to know if this plugin works with songs like this one : 
    A you can hear, it's BPM increase some times. Example : minute 0:50
    I will buy it but first I have to know this fact about the plugin.
    Thank you very much for attending me :)
  • @Alex:
    BeatEdit detects two things
    1) Beats
    2) Onsets ("rhythmically relevant points" like drum hits, for example)
    It does not detect peaks.

@Pablo:
    In general, BeatEdit can deal with changing BPM although it might get a few beats wrong around the transition. See here what BeatEdit detects in your sample song:

I recommend to experiment with the free trial version if you are not 100% sure whether BeatEdit does what you need.
  • Thank you very much Mathias :)
  • You are welcome, Pablo :-)
  • I'm getting problems with the trial version.
    Every time I load a song, it says : No license for BeatEdit found.
    Then I click "Use Trial Version" but nothing hapens.
    I installed all the files that you said to me install.
  • Hi Pablo,
    this message should only appear once when you start BeatEdit, not each time you load a song. Which version of BeatEdit are you using? Please open a support ticket and attach some screenshots (or even better a screen capture video) such that I understand better what is going on:
  • I tried loading in some 16 bit, 48kHz .aif music files, but get the error message:

JavaScript Alert - file:///
    Could not decode audio file:null
    Probably you are using an unsupported audio format.  Please try to convert your audio file to a WAV file.
    OK

Are .aif files unsupported?
    Is there a list of supported file types?

Mac OS 10.9.5
    PremierePro CC 2015.2 (9.2.0 build 41)
  • Hi Jeff,
    BeatEdit supports wav and mp3 files. Depending on the Premiere Pro version and operating system, other formats like ogg may work, too. aif is not supported. BeatEdit uses the Chromium framework (i.e. a variant of the Chrome webbrowser) to create the user interface and also to decode the audio. Since the Chromium version differs for different Premiere Pro versions, the file format support may differ a bit, too.

• Updated to latest version of BeatEdit Pro.  Using latest version of Adobe Premiere CC.  Loading MP# file in beat edit and on timeline.  When I go to create sequence markers it says the clip cannot be found.  Please help. Very frustrating. I have used this before with no issues
  • All set.  You can't use Beat Edit with songs that have numbers before their titles.

• Hi Mark,

thank you for pointing me to this issue. My wife just gave birth to our daughter yesterday, so I won't be able to do much work during the next days. But I will definitely try to reproduce this and see why numbers before song names are not supported.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Trouble with Beat Edit and AE 2015.3.  It is installed, but when I click it nothing occurs.  Please advise.  This is my favorite extension.

• Trouble with Beat Edit and AE 2015.3.  It is installed, but when I click it nothing occurs.  Please advise.  This is my favorite extension.
    Hi Mark, did you mean Premiere Pro 2015.3? (BeatEdit only works in Premiere, not in AE). For Premiere Pr0 2015.3, make sure to update to the most recent version 1.0.6 of BeatEdit. It adds compatibility with 2015.3 and is a free update for existing customers (available in your aescripts customer account).

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Sorry I meant Premiere Pro 2015.3.  Updated and had to "custom install" because it said installation failed.  It shows up in extensions and for some reason doesn't open.  Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the prompt response.

• Mark, could you please open a support ticket here
    and best add some screenshots of how it looks in the installer and when you try to open it? The more details I know the better I am able to help.

• what are the limitations for the trial version? It seems like I can't set any marker on the clip nor the time-line.
  • what are the limitations for the trial version? It seems like I can't set any marker on the clip nor the time-line.
    Hi Andrés,
    the trial can only export the markers for the first 20s of the audio file. If it still does not work, could you please open a support ticket here
    and describe what you see as detailed as possible? If there are any issues I really like to fix them. And the more details I know the better I will be able to help. Best attach screenshots.
    in particular:
    - do you get any error messages?
    - do you see the message explaining the trial restriction when you try to generate the markers?
    - when trying to create clip markers for a clip that is not yet imported in the Premiere Pro project, does it get imported by BeatEdit as expected?
    - do you see manually generated markers in your timeline? Note that in some Premiere Pro versions (but not in the most recent one) you need to resize a track to be a bit higher than the default height to see markers.
    - does the filename of the audio file (or the path of the folders where it is located) contain any problematic symbols? I tested this and on my system it works with any symbols, but I already had one customer who had issues with numbers at the beginning of file names.

Again - the more I know the better I am able to help.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hi Mathias

I found a solution. I have to set PlayerDebugMode=1 for CSXS.6 in registry

Regards

Armin

Hi Mathias

I installed your plugin. I can see the menu point but after click nothing happend.

I used Premier pro cc 2015.3

The following error message I found in logs after trying it to start:

ERROR Signature verification failed for extension com.mamoworld.BeatEdit.91.extension

Regards

Armin 

• Hi Armin,
    thank you for reporting this. We just updated our installer to set PlayerDebugMode also for CSXS.6 if a custom install is required. In previous versions it has just set CSXS.5, since this is the version that BeatEdit is using, but somehow this does not seem to be sufficient on some systems.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hi Mathias,

Looks like something went wrong. Windows Defender found a trojan into BeatEdit 1.0.6 ... It's called "Spursint.A!cl".
    Maybe you're infected and now spreading the world :(

Too bad, i needed to reinstall BeatEdit tonight :-/
  • Hi DEFER Stephane,

thank you for reporting this. I am pretty sure this is a false positive, but I will see what I can do about it. The BeatEdit extension creates some executable files in the temp directory and runs them to do the actual beat detection. I guess that this kind of behavior seems suspicious to Windows Defender.

Cheers,
    Mathias
    Hi Mathias,

Looks like something went wrong. Windows Defender found a trojan into BeatEdit 1.0.6 ... It's called "Spursint.A!cl".
    Maybe you're infected and now spreading the world :(

Too bad, i needed to reinstall BeatEdit tonight :-/

• Can you manually make clip markers (multiple in-points in a long clip) and have BE randomly cut from those marker points?

If so, is there a video demo of it?

Thx!

• Hi Peter,
    BeatEdit is all about generating the markers. The edits based on the markers are always done using the "automate to sequence" feature of Premiere Pro. But this feature only works with sequence markers and not with clip markers.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hi Mathias,
    What if I have a long 5 minutes clip and I have a few in-points (markers) on this clip...that I would like for BE to use for the cuts? Isn't there a way for BE to treat those in-points within that clip like they are separate clips to use for cuts?
    Thx!

Hi Peter,
    BeatEdit is all about generating the markers. The edits based on the markers are always done using the "automate to sequence" feature of Premiere Pro. But this feature only works with sequence markers and not with clip markers.

Cheers,
    Mathias

• @Peter Lee: If you have a very long clip, you first need to (manually) create a subclip for each part that you want to use. Then you can use those subclips like any other clips.
    See here how to create subsclips:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/create-subclips-premiere-cc.html
  • Thanks Mathias - it would be great and save a lot of time if BE can somehow just cut from multiple markers (in-points) within a (long) clip...instead of creating subclips...possible feature?! :)

• I will put it on my list of feature requests, but modifying clips in the timeline is not easy (not sure if possible at all) with the current extension API of Premiere Pro.