AE Suicide-After Effects Crash Recovery
  • This doesn't seem to work for me in CS6, anybody else have issues?  Worked every time for me on previous versions.
  • This doesn't seem to work for me in CS6, anybody else have issues?  Worked every time for me on previous versions.
    Hi Chase,

As a test, can you try running AE Suicide with After Effects CS6 open, but not frozen? It still seems to work as expected on my end.
  • Hey Scott - It seems to work when AE CS6 is not crashed, but I haven't had any luck with it working for an actual crash yet. I used it a few times a while ago and it didn't seem to even cause AE to quit, just tried it now and AE quit but no crash save. I know it doesn't work all of the time so perhaps I'll need to see if it works on another project.
  • bought it during a bad crash. CS6. No response whatsoever. If it doesn't work during a crash what good is it?
  • Sorry to hear you're not having much luck, Chase. Unfortunately, you're right that it doesn't always work—it depends entirely on what is causing the unresponsiveness. In the past, it has usually depended on what combination of plugins you're using, but it could definitely be some change in CS6 internally that's giving you grief. Hope you have better luck in the future.
    Hey Scott - It seems to work when AE CS6 is not crashed, but I haven't had any luck with it working for an actual crash yet. I used it a few times a while ago and it didn't seem to even cause AE to quit, just tried it now and AE quit but no crash save. I know it doesn't work all of the time so perhaps I'll need to see if it works on another project.

• Hi Terry, I'm sorry to hear that AE Suicide didn't work out for you. Unfortunately, it can only work if the interface becomes unresponsive, but the program is still able to receive certain signals. Depending on the kind of crash, your plugin configuration, etc., it sometimes just can't recover.

You can at least verify that it's functioning as it should on your system by running it with an empty project open in AE and seeing if a crash file is saved.

I hope you have better luck in the future.

-S

bought it during a bad crash. CS6. No response whatsoever. If it doesn't work during a crash what good is it?

• this tool saved my life...today for at least 12 times....
  • No success with CS6
  • I can't get this to work anymore..

Is it still compatible with AE CC 2014 ???

It was always a God send !!!
  • Hi Alex,

Sorry you're having trouble. I've tested with AE CC 2014 and it seems to work fine. I also haven't had any other reports.

Can you try to run AE Suicide with AE running but not crashed? It should still force a save.

Keep in mind that there are some crashes that AE Suicide unfortunately can't recover from.

Thanks!
  • Do you have an version for Windows 7? I cleared my cache files from After effects CS 5.5 while working on a project, and now i can no more open it, it's corrupted... 
    can you please help?
    I would purchase it if could use it on W7 and recover the project....

Regards
  • Do you have an version for Windows 7? I cleared my cache files from After effects CS 5.5 while working on a project, and now i can no more open it, it's corrupted... 
    can you please help?
    I would purchase it if could use it on W7 and recover the project...
    Unfortunately the technique that it uses behind the scenes is for mac only.  Unix is more flexible in this regard and the same "trick" is not possible on windows
  • Confirmed NOT working with CC 2014. “AE Suicide 1.0” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."
  • Thanks for the report, Jon, but that message is related to the OS and not to CC 2014.

I just got the same message in Yosemite with the version on the site.

Lloyd, it looks like the "applet" file in Contents/MacOS/ resources is damaged? Or maybe just something it references? I could provide a fix, but I'm not sure how you handled the code signing.

-S
  • Hi Jon,

Version 1.2 up on the site now should fix the  error. Thanks for pointing out the problem and let me know if you have any more troubles.

-S
  • Oh wow this is amazing. I decided to use Element 3D's relink file feature and scan a 4TB volume with a search depth of 100. Needless to say, this hung up my AE and I remembered that I had this program. Project saved. Thank you thank you thank you!
  • Would you ever consider making a version of this for Adobe Premiere Pro?  This script has saved me untold amounts of trouble with AE, and I think you'd find a lot of people would be willing to pay for a Premiere version too.  I would buy 10 copies right off the bat!  Premiere is far more unstable than AE in my current experience, and its supposed self-recovery functions are, to put it charitably, a work in progress.  Given that the programs are so closely related, maybe it's food for thought!
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Chris, but unfortunately Premiere doesn't seem to respond to the same kill signal as After Effects. In fact, AE seems to be the only Adobe application that supports it.

I think it's just another one of those weird Adobe things where every app is slightly different.