• brilliant - exactly what my filing system style needs
  • Any comments or suggestions may very well influence new features. So any thoughts people?
  • Nice script Eddie! 

Maybe add a feature to do the following:

Sometimes I want the folder structure added INTO a single (or more) folders. Say I have 25 folders, each representing assets from a different precomp (so 25 precomps total).
    By checking a checkbox the script adds the folders into each selected folder so the assets of each precomp gets organized (no assets get moved from or to another precomp-folder this way, but they do get organized in the same manner in each folder).

And also a "delete empty folders" button to delete empty folders on the fly :)

Just a thought ...

Cheerio!
  • Need AE CC compatibility, please.
  • "Need AE CC compatibility, please."

Indeed, does it have CC compatibility?

Thanks

• Hi there, sorry I hadn't bookmarked this discussion. I will be updating it soon, it won't take me long but just moving house etc at the moment so will be CC compatible within a month. I havn't actually tested it in CC but if it's not working it will be a minor fix.
    Thanks for your patience.
  • Updating this now so CC version should be along soon, has anybody been using this in CC already.?
  • So new version up....
    *CC compatible / new features...

Discovered a couple of bugs that are now fixed - before anybody raises a ticket....
    So uploading new version today 11.02.14 - 

Thanks a lot.

• So version 2.02 is up there now, apologies to the users who downloaded it in the last few days.
  • That looks great! Any idea yet if it will be included in CornerCutters?

- j
  • Will have Corner Cutters 3 out in the next month approx . . . 
    Thanks a mil.
  • This is one of the greatest scripts I have ever bought. I had a project that was a complete MESS! It had been passed around and added to by a number of people. I needed to collect the project and the nest was too deep. This script cleaned it up and fixed the issues. AWESOME! Best $10.00 I ever spent.
  • Great feedback David, thanks a mil - appreciate it.
  • it's really useful :) 
  • Where to check wht is the installed version?
  • Hi there, sorry the version is not listed anywhere, if you just compare the UI to the one on the aescripts site then you will know if you have an earlier verison.
    Thanks.
  • Love this tool — as a freelancer I inherit mess filled files all the time. One request, that I don't even know if it's possible: is there a way to remove unused footage without deleting folders that would then become empty? It's a huge pain to have a great folder structure only to lose it all when cleaning everything up. 

One more, would it be possible to find a way to remove unused footage within selected folders only? Thanks in advance!
  • The way I maintain folder structure right now before a clean up is to create a dummy comp with as many nulls in it as folders, then populate those folders with one null a piece quickly. When I run AE's Remove Unused Footage command, it preserves the now-empty folders. Eventually I delete those dummy nulls. Kind of a crummy way to go about it.
  • Hey Ryan, hmmmm Ill have a think about it. I have been using Adobes built in command, but it may be easy to replicate, will look at it soon. tks. 
  • Wow, speedy reply. Thanks Alan, using it at the office today and loving it. One of the big uses of it I'm finding today is for cleaning up folders post Photoshop file import. Basically, I'm bringing in multiple characters from a styleframe and reorganizing the layers into folders. Some characters aren't ready, or I'm only rigging one at a time, so I want to get rid of the rest of the layers that aren't in a comp (or a folder) really quickly. 

That's the backstory on the Remove Unused within a folder — I wouldn't have to do a lot of moving around just to get rid of stuff! 

(and thanks again!)
  • Cool can you send me your email address on Twitter or something.
  • Hi Alan, Can this consolidate all elements for a comp into a folder?
  • Hey Paul, sorry not at the moment, but that is a good idea so will have a think about implementing it.!
  • Hi Alan, Can this consolidate all elements for a comp into a folder?
    Hey Paul, sorry not at the moment, but that is a good idea so will have a think about implementing it.!
    I was just gonna say this would be awesome if it at least could do that for precomps inside of the main comps.

Imagine you have three comps inside your main comp, the script would create a folder for each Main Comp in the project and the organization should look something like:

This could lead to an issue if a Pre Comp was used in more than a composition, but there could be like and extra "General Precomps" for that matter.

Just as a matter of curiosity if you want to check it, this script does something similar but it gathers all the precomps in the project on same folder instead of different folders.

Cheers and congrats for the great script!
  • Hi there, thanks for that... some good ideas there. There are so many ways that things can be filed...  
    Think it's time I had a look at this again... 
  • Hey Alan, great script. Not a major deal but the 'Ignore selected' checkbox doesn't appear to function in CC15 or 17 for me.. Means that after tidying I have to go in to the big list of comps and find the main comp(s) and then pull them back out to top level. (We always leave the render outputs at top level) Still useful but it''s a shame to have to go in as it feels like having to manually organise in a way, so if the project is organised-ish, then the temptation is to not bother, which is a shame.

Great work though, and great to see other Irish motion design representing!
  • Hey Alan, great script. Not a major deal but the 'Ignore selected' checkbox doesn't appear to function in CC15 or 17 for me.. Means that after tidying I have to go in to the big list of comps and find the main comp(s) and then pull them back out to top level. (We always leave the render outputs at top level) Still useful but it''s a shame to have to go in as it feels like having to manually organise in a way, so if the project is organised-ish, then the temptation is to not bother, which is a shame.

Great work though, and great to see other Irish motion design representing!
    Thanks James, I have rewritten this script, to be simpler to use but it's not finished yet. Hard to get time when working full time. Thanks for the comment and Ill keep an eye out for the issue.
  • Here is more compact, dockable UI
    eg.png
    229 x 489 - 16K
  • Hi Alan,
    What an amazing script!!! I use this every other minute. I have one feature request, hope you will consider. 

Can the script have "ignore folder with name" option hardcoded to it?
    Example name: Exclude

Then I can move all the things we don't want sorted into the folder and avoid clicking the ignore selected every time. 

At times I have forgotten to click ignore selected and the next day I see that nothing can be done about it anymore. 

Thanks. 
  • This is a killer script! However I've run into a bug – it's not a fault of TidyUp, but of AE, but TidyUp can offer a neat workaround.

I been using AE to make a complex title sequence for a TV show and I've just used TidyUp to organize my messy comp. The trouble is, there's SO many vector layers in the project tree Vector folder (not just AI files themselves, but individual LAYERS) that AE literally refuses to scroll beyond a certain number. Even if you search for a layer beyond the scroll limit, or go to the comp and reveal the layer in the Project tree, you get nothing!

After the TidyUp, I had to manually create a second Vector folder and manually drag the ones I could see into there. Evidently, each Vector folder ended up with just enough layers for me to finally see them all.

I know this is not a common issue, but you could design it so that when the folder limit is reached, it spills into a 2nd folder (and god forbid a 3rd, etc).

My other request is that you add a 'contains' instead of (or in addition to) 'starts with' in the precomp text field. Not everyone names the precomp with a prefix. Some of us a suffixers! :)
  • This is a killer script! However I've run into a bug – it's not a fault of TidyUp, but of AE, but TidyUp can offer a neat workaround.

I been using AE to make a complex title sequence for a TV show and I've just used TidyUp to organize my messy comp. The trouble is, there's SO many vector layers in the project tree Vector folder (not just AI files themselves, but individual LAYERS) that AE literally refuses to scroll beyond a certain number. Even if you search for a layer beyond the scroll limit, or go to the comp and reveal the layer in the Project tree, you get nothing!

After the TidyUp, I had to manually create a second Vector folder and manually drag the ones I could see into there. Evidently, each Vector folder ended up with just enough layers for me to finally see them all.

I know this is not a common issue, but you could design it so that when the folder limit is reached, it spills into a 2nd folder (and god forbid a 3rd, etc).

My other request is that you add a 'contains' instead of (or in addition to) 'starts with' in the precomp text field. Not everyone names the precomp with a prefix. Some of us a suffixers! :)
    Thanks I have taken and note of your comments for when I update the script. Thanks for taking the time.
  • No, declutter isn't not an awesome alternative. TidyUp has much more functionality. I don't know why did you abandon such a nice script.