• Slice it Up looks interesting. What are the major differences with Slicebox?
  • Hello Theo.
    This might come as a surprise, but I never used Slicebox before, so cannot comment on that.

Download trial version of Slice it Up and give it a try. That's all it takes to find out.
  • Great Job Tomas! Would be great to have a checkbox for motion blur enable... :-)
  • Hey Tom, great job on your plugin! I really like it, but I'm having an issue. It is acting very strange when animating. I am animating Z Space Random to transition in and out of video sources. Basically sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The weirdest thing is that I'll animate from 0 to 1000 or something and that will work, but all following keyframes do nothing. Also sometimes I'll delete all the keyframes I have, and the animation keeps happening. I cannot figure out why that would happen. Any help you can give would be apprecciated, thanks!
  • Hi Jonathan.
    Any chance you can send me a stripped project file that demonstrates this issue?
    However, if you say "sometimes I'll delete all the keyframes I have, and the animation keeps happening" that sounds more like AE issue, not the scripts. Just to be safe, try to empty the cache by going Edit->Purge. That should clean all temporary timeline renders. See if that helps. 
    Also can you drop me email to Tomas at rendertom dot com so we can discuss this issue further? Will report the results here later.

Thanks again.
  • Tom, I was about to email you, but I just realized my error. I had duplicated my entire comp to make a new version, and all the expressions were referencing the original comp. So my animation was being controlled by my previous comp completely. It makes sense, nothing wrong with your plugin!
  • I am glad you sorted that out. However, problem lies deeper:) If you duplicate your original composition, you still need to duplicate and replace the "CompName Slices" (that has precomps with each slice element) composition in that DupComp and other nested compositions in that "CompName Slices" etc... That sounds dumb, I know:)

I should probably issue the update with the ability to duplicate that Sliced composition. Will see.

Any ways, thanks for your purchase.
  • Oh I just saved a new file and renamed my main comp back to the name of the original that I did the slicing in, it all is working after that. An update that allows you to duplicate the comp could be useful. I know many people will make multiple comps of their project for different version, or options. I don't think there is a way to make your expressions update that automatically though. For now, a note in the manual may be useful so this doesn't happen to anyone else. Thanks for your  quick responses today!
  • An update that allows you to duplicate the comp could be useful. I know many people will make multiple comps of their project for different version, or options. I don't think there is a way to make your expressions update that automatically though. 
    Use True Comp Duplicator to copy your comp hierarchy first.  It will create a true duplicate plus it has an option to update expressions.
  • This plug-in looks fantastic!  I downloaded trial to try playing with it but am not having any luck.  Trying to apply to a visual.  The pop up box comes up and creates a separate comp and mask layer.  But nothing seems to be happening when I change any of the values in the effects panel.  I opened it on CS4 - could that be the issue?
    Thanks
  • Hi Joseph. Can you please open a support ticket and send me project file so I can investigate?
  • Apparently there was a small bug that prevented script from working when slicing a non-vector layer. This issue has been resolved and fixed in version 1.1.
    Thank you Joseph for reporting it.
  • It seems that animating the effect sliders wont work unless the sliced layer is at time zero? At least thats whats happening to me.
  • It seems that animating the effect sliders wont work unless the sliced layer is at time zero? At least thats whats happening to me.
    Michael, can you please open support ticket and attache the scene file so I could take a look? Thank you.
  • I haunted down a bug when animated effect sliders occur not where the keyframes are but at keyframe time + in point time and also when layer being sliced is not at time zero in v1.5.1. All should work now as expected.

Thanks Michael Malone for reporting them to me.
  • Hi Tomas, Nice looking script.  Unfortunately, it doesn't do what I want it to.  Fortunately, it looks like it might be modified to do what I want.  I am looking for a script or plugin that will do 9 slice scaling within After Effects, similar to 9 slice scaling in Flash, Illustrator, or many game engines.  Do you think you could modify your script to make a 9 slice scaler?  I would buy it in a heartbeat.  Thanks,  -Matt

Here is a good explanation of 9 slice scaling:

So you know that there is demand for such a script:
  • Hi Matthew.
    Sorry for not replying sooner.

Unfortunately, Slice it Up has nothing to do with 9 slice scaling.
  • Hi, I noticed in the script if I have a shadow on a text layer and slice it up, the new comp doesn't take into account the shadow and is too small. Is there a way you can check for things like shadows when creating the new comp size? that would save me a lot of time having to manually adjust it every time.

Thanks,
  • Hi Michael.
    Sorry for inconvenience. But what you could do, is simply precomp your text layer with a shadow and then run Slice it Up on this precomp.
  • Hello,

is it possible to use standard licence of "Slice it up" for two different machines? 
    Thanks!

Jan
  • Hey Tom,
    I'm getting an AE error "unable to execute script at line 1. Invalid image data" when I try to open. I'm using the latest version 1.5.1. Tried reinstalling, but no luck.
    Todd
    p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}
  • Hi Bryan. Uninstalling wont help. You need to enable "Allow scripts to write Files and Access Network" in After Effetcs settings General tab.

Hey Tom,

I'm getting an AE error "unable to execute script at line 1. Invalid image data" when I try to open. I'm using the latest version 1.5.1. Tried reinstalling, but no luck.
    Todd

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}

• Thanks Tom...I do have ""Allow scripts to write Files and Access Network" checked and it's still giving me the error, is there something else I can try?
  • Brian, do you mind opening a support ticket here https://aescripts.com/contact/ so we can discuss what's going on there.
    Thanks.

Thanks Tom...I do have ""Allow scripts to write Files and Access Network" checked and it's still giving me the error, is there something else I can try?

• Hey Yakiv. Thanks for heads up! Unfortunately, I cannot see that post, since I'm not a member of that group. But anyways, it's always nice to see people are using it. 

Cheers.

Hi, thought you might want to see this discussion, somebody mentioned your script in the comments of Motion Lovers Group.
    Check it out here: https://facebook.com/1077996278900703_1776496335717357?comment_id=1776519999048324