3D Layer Distributor
  • Hello, I am having trouble installing 3D Layer Distributor on a Mac with After Effects CS6, here is the error, please help.
    Thanks,
    Glenn
    Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 14.21.05.png
    608 x 294 - 49K
  • How are you installing the script?  It should be installed in the Scripts folder and run from the File->Scripts menu.  Please watch the usage tutorials to learn how to use it.
  • downloaded and installed successfully for AE CS5.5. on the Mac, but the UI panel is completely blank. i have no control or options available to me. any idea why this would be happening or how to fix it? quit/restart made no difference
  • This script does not have UI. It should be installed in the Scripts folder and run from the File->Scripts menu.  Please watch the usage tutorials to learn how to use it.
  • thanks Lloyd. i watched the usage video and followed through. can't find out where there's anyway of controlling the environment, though. do you have a link to a tutorial? can any positioning elements be controlled (like limiting the depth of z-space for all objects) or does the script purely 'do what it does'?
  • This tutorial shows how to use it. You  need to open the script file to set the variables at the top of the script.  If you are looking for a script that does something similar with a UI check out DistributeLayers
  • thanks for the help. working nicely with the edits to the .jsx
  • not work in after effects CC
  • not work in after effects CC
    It works in CC.  What issue specifically are you having?
  • This script doesn't appear to do anything at all. I made some 3D layers and then applied the script and it just opens an empty panel??    The tutorial is not helpful because it is explaining a very complex project. I don't need all the extra info, just want to know how to use the script I purchased.You need tuts that explains each script separately and also how to install. You're asking a lot of money for something with not much support
  • Do I have to actually edit the script for it to do what I want? I usually buy scripts because I don't want to do this.
  • You need tuts that explains each script separately and also how to install.  
    Almost all our products have video tutorials, this is just a very old product that never had one done but I just made one: 

We support all our products fully. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
  • Hi Lloyd,

I appreciate this script is very old now, but would you know why it doesn't work on AE CC2015?
    I'm getting this error,

With this script (unchanged apart from the XYZ values)
    Thanks for any help!
  • Hi Lloyd,

I appreciate this script is very old now, but would you know why it doesn't work on AE CC2015?
    I'm getting this error,

With this script (unchanged apart from the XYZ values)
    Thanks for any help!
    it works fine in CC2015. my only guess is something is getting corrupted by using text edit. can you use ExtendScript Editor to edit the script file? it comes with AE just search for it. if you still get the error you'll be able to see what line 27 is and you can send us a screenshot of that line so we can help you further.
  • it works fine in CC2015. my only guess is something is getting corrupted by using text edit. can you use ExtendScript Editor to edit the script file? it comes with AE just search for it. if you still get the error you'll be able to see what line 27 is and you can send us a screenshot of that line so we can help you further.
    Lloyd,
    Thank you, I used ESTK to open and modify the params, save it out and it runs now, great! Must have been textEdit
    A strange issue though, some of the layers assume the same horizontal position when they should be random - have you seen this before?

• A strange issue though, some of the layers assume the same horizontal position when they should be random - have you seen this before?

Are you sure your X range is set correctly? Otherwise another author told me that there is a bug in the new version of AE with the random function and this could very well be it. In that case I would try running the script again to see if it generates better random values.
  • Hi Lloyd,

I just purchased this script and have spent the past few hours trying to figure out what was preventing it from working properly for me. I would select my layers and  only the first two would be randomized. Any layers selected after the first or second would simply take the position of the second repositioned item.

Anyways, after picking through the script and doing some googling it appears that this is related to a known issue on the mac version of After effect 2015. By replacing Math.ranom() with generateRandomNumber()  everything seems to work as expected now.

Hopefully this will help anyone else who may run into this problem.

Here's a relevant discussion of the issue that led me to the fix: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1906768?start=0&tstart=0
  • Had the same issue as Patrick. Replaced all instances of Math.random() with generateRandomNumber()and all works as normal.

Thanks.
  • The generateRandomNumber()function was not working on CC 2017.2, I changed it back to Math.random()and it works fine now.

Update:

It's almost working, but it's ignoring false statements. I set z to False and the Z position still changed.
  • Just curious if it would be possible to have them don't distribute randomly, but rather a specific distance between each layer? Or maybe auto fill out the distance between each layer based on the range? Thanks so much
  • I love this script. It does not work in CC2018, though. Any chance it will be updated?
  • I love this script. It does not work in CC2018, though. Any chance it will be updated?
    It works fine in CC2018, if you have a specific issue please open a support ticket and include screenshots
  • Does this script still work?
  • Does this script still work?
    yes it does, if you have a specific issue please open a support ticket and include screenshots
  • Hi can I keyframe/animate parameters or only edit the script once? Cheers
  • Hi, this script isn't working in CC2020. Is there a fix?
  • Hi, this script isn't working in CC2020. Is there a fix?

works fine for us in 2020. if you have a specific issue please open a support ticket and include screenshots https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1