Magnum - The Edit Detector
  • Hi, this may be a stupid question so sorry in advance as I'm not well adept at using software of this nature yet, by "detects edits in footage" does that mean this software is able to detect whether or not something, in a given video at a given point, has been altered by such programs as adobe after effects i.e. the appearance of an object that is stationary or moving?

I'm asking because I'm trying to analyze some footage to determine the level of anomalies present in a footage as a result of tampering.
    My bad If I have gotten the wrong end of the stick of the capabilities of this software.

Thanks,
    R. Paulson.
  • It detects editorial cuts in footage. Watch the demo video to get a better understanding of how it works.
  • I'm on CS6 using Magnum v2.52. When Magnum detects the first cut, it freezes. Magnum info panel says "edit detected at frame X" and the status bar freezes. The "Magnum at work" comp remains in the project panel and nothing happens. Not much value for 40 bucks. Any help?
  • This bug has been fixed. Please download the latest version from the 'My Downloads & Licenses'  (https://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/) section of your user account. 
  • Lloyd,

I'm encountering this same problem only when Magnum is set for "Place markers on layer".  The other options all work just fine, but the "Place markers" option always freezes on the first detected edit.  In my case, I'm using AE CS6 on Windows 7 x64 SP1, and I've tried it with several different pieces of standard NTSC DV footage of lengths ranging from 2 to 12 minutes.

Bill
  • This bug has been fixed. Please download the latest version from the 'My Downloads & Licenses' (https://aescripts.com/downloadable/customer/products/) section of your user account.
  • I'm super confused.  I've used this script probably 1000 times with no trouble (and LOVE it), but for some reason, no matter what the detect level is set at, it prompts me that it couldn't find any edits.

My footage is montaged over the span of a weekend, both day and night, so the footage is definitely varied enough that it should be detecting it.  I've tried it in both CS5 and CS5.5 with no luck.

Any ideas?
  • Have you used the new graph mode to see what magnum sees? This should help you set the threshold accurately instead of wildly guessing. Watch the demo video to see how it works.
  • Have you used the new graph mode to see what magnum sees? This should help you set the threshold accurately instead of wildly guessing. Watch the demo video to see how it works.
    I will check it out, but it didn't matter what I set the detect level... I tried it all the way at 0 and it still came back saying it didn't detect anything.
  • Using the graph mode allows you to see what Magnum sees.  Please watch the video tutorial.
  • Hi there, I have just buy magnum and, unfortunately,  the process stopped at the first edit point and can't continue. Is it normal ..?
  • Sorry, I hadn't read yet the last post. It's the same problem as Sven and William, the problem happen with the markers. I'm running magnum with AE CS6 on osx 10.6 with a ProRes422HQ Full HD. I've try with different footage and different size. Do you have an update or anything to solve this problem ? Thanks
  • i also started experiencing the 'damn you higgins' problem after an initially successful pass - deleting the original detection analysis null fixed it
    Have you used the new graph mode to see what magnum sees? This should help you set the threshold accurately instead of wildly guessing. Watch the demo video to see how it works.
    I will check it out, but it didn't matter what I set the detect level... I tried it all the way at 0 and it still came back saying it didn't detect anything.

• Please watch the tutorial and use the detection analysis to set the threshold. Blindly setting the threshold will never yield good results.
  • I have version 2.0. Does not seem to function with CS6.
    Do I need to pay nearly full price to upgrade to a version that does work with CS6.
    Thank you.
  • Version 2.0 is a major upgrade that includes many new features besides CS6 compatibility.  You also get either a discount equal to 100% or 50% of what you previously paid depending on when you bought it.  We feel that is a very generous upgrade offer. Please refer to this for upgrade details: https://aescripts.com/magnum-the-edit-detector/#upgrade-notice
  • this is not working in AE CC please update
  • You can check the compatibility of all our products by checking the COMPATIBILITY tab on every product page.  If you are having a specific issue please open a support ticket for direct help.
  • Just posted a CC compatible version. You can download the new version (v2.55) from the 'My Downloads & Licenses' section of your user account. 
  • i can't download my version of magnum and others in my download and licences. what can i do?
  • i can't download my version of magnum and others in my download and licences. what can i do?
    Please make sure you are not using any 3rd party download managers or assistants. Clear your browser cache and cookies or try a different browser.  If you are still having trouble please open a support ticket and include as many details as possible including screenshots.
  • Found an issue with Magnum on AE CC 2014. The "Place Markers on Layers" function does not complete its cycle and just stops 1/4 of the way through.
  • Found an issue with Magnum on AE CC 2014. The "Place Markers on Layers" function does not complete its cycle and just stops 1/4 of the way through.
    Are you running the latest version?
  • Hello, I have an issue where Magnum freezes up after making two edits. Detect Level: 1.7, 0 frames between edits, Result: Split into new layers.  After clicking "do it" Magnum stops analyzing and just hangs. Clicking stop does not work, I have to close the Magnum window and start it again. I am on Magnum 2.6 and After Effecs CC 2014.1.1 release on a mac. I love the product and use it daily, I am guessing that it is an issue with the newest CC release as it was working perfectly before. Thank you in advance for your help!
  • Hello, I have an issue where Magnum freezes up after making two edits. Detect Level: 1.7, 0 frames between edits, Result: Split into new layers.  After clicking "do it" Magnum stops analyzing and just hangs. Clicking stop does not work, I have to close the Magnum window and start it again. I am on Magnum 2.6 and After Effecs CC 2014.1.1 release on a mac. I love the product and use it daily, I am guessing that it is an issue with the newest CC release as it was working perfectly before. Thank you in advance for your help!
    Please open a support ticket and submit a screencast showing the issue so we can look into it, you can record the screencast using this: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/
  • What speed do you expect it to work at on 1080p footage of 1 minute? 

My machine is a Mac Pro mid 2010, 32Gb RAM, 2 x Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphics cards, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. Running latest OS X & latest AE CC 2014 
  • What speed do you expect it to work at on 1080p footage of 1 minute? 

My machine is a Mac Pro mid 2010, 32Gb RAM, 2 x Nvidia Quadro 4000 graphics cards, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. Running latest OS X & latest AE CC 2014 
    There is no way for us to know that. Depends on the speed of your hard drives and computer.  You can download the free trial and test it yourself.
  • Hi Lloyd,

I was asking as I have purchased it, and found it to accomplish the task in more time than it would for me to manually do it. It runs slower than what it does in your video tutorial. I know that the video you're working with is not 1080p, but with the specs of my Mac Pro I was expecting a bit of a jump.

The only spec I failed to mention was that my hard drive is the Samsung 840Pro SSD 512GB
  • Hi Lloyd,

I was asking as I have purchased it, and found it to accomplish the task in more time than it would for me to manually do it. It runs slower than what it does in your video tutorial. I know that the video you're working with is not 1080p, but with the specs of my Mac Pro I was expecting a bit of a jump.

The only spec I failed to mention was that my hard drive is the Samsung 840Pro SSD 512GB

Magnum uses AE to process the video so it should take about the same time as it does to ram preview it in AE. We use it on 1080p footage all the time without any issues. Is your footage compressed with a slow codec? I would test it with other footage or try processing a shorter segment than the full minute at once.
  • Hello Lloyd,

Been using Magnum 2.62 with AE 2014 13.2.0.49 without any problems.

Until today - now it will either not detect any cuts or just one. Adjusting detect level does nothing.
    Restarted AE and computer to no avail.

Any ideas?

Best,
    K.
  • Hello Lloyd,

Been using Magnum 2.62 with AE 2014 13.2.0.49 without any problems.

Until today - now it will either not detect any cuts or just one. Adjusting detect level does nothing.
    Restarted AE and computer to no avail.

Any ideas?

Best,
    K.
    are you using the "detection analysis"? Can you post a screenshot showing the graph?

• No but I'll try to post it after the clients are gone :)

I did find a workaround, though. 

When I copy the 30s DPX sequence into a new composition, Magnum happily detects all the 30-something cuts.

If I try to run it on the same sequence but within a composition populated by other layers (23 or so) then it just detects 1 or 2 or none, depending on mood.

K.
  • Bought it 10 minutes ago, and it doesn't do squat when I hit the button. Using the absolute latest of all products in question.
  • Bought it 10 minutes ago, and it doesn't do squat when I hit the button. Using the absolute latest of all products in question.
    Are you using the detection analysis?  Please watch the tutorial video to learn how Magnum works as it depends on your footage so the default setting will not always work.
  • When will it be 2015 compatible?  This is a great script :-)
  • When will it be 2015 compatible?  This is a great script :-)
    He have a bit of backlog at the moment but will try to resolve the issue soon. In the meantime please use CC2014.
  • Hi, 

Just bought your plugin (I've used it at a post house before and loved it) 
    I scanned the copy and saw "cc" and blindly picked it up. 
    Should've checked that it works with cc 2015 in particular...

Bummer. 

Please let me know whether you'll get it updated soon as I can't Dynamic Link from a cc 2015 pproj to AE cc 2014.  

I don't suppose I could expect a refund if you don't update it? 

Cheers & Thanks. 
    D

• We're hoping for compatibility for 2015 soon as well! Thank you in advance for the new fix!
  • Any news? 

If you subscribe to the notifications you will be notified when we post the update
  • Hi guys. I can't use previous versions of AFX  (a brand new comp in the studio, etc) and more than month ago I've bought another licence for Magnum. I haven't even tried to read comments before, so I'm left with a useless key. We would appreciate some kind of plan for an update at least... Great script, I've been using for years, but now... You know....
  • +100000 on 2015 compatability please
  • Great script!  Is there any way to make it delete solid black frames?
  • when reuse "analysis layer" minimum frames between edits does not work.
  • Great script!  Is there any way to make it delete solid black frames?
    try https://aescripts.com/duplicate-frame-remover/
  • The all new Magnum 3 is compatible with CC2015. Please check it out here: https://aescripts.com/magnum
  • Hello,

On my work computer (Mac, CC 2014) this script showed up fine and operated as expected.

On my home computer (PC, CC 2014) the script does not appear in the Window menu like it should. I've placed the script here : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2014\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels

Anything I need to do to get this to work?

Update : Script shows up in File -> Scripts if it's placed in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2014\Support Files\Scripts\
  • Hello,

On my work computer (Mac, CC 2014) this script showed up fine and operated as expected.

On my home computer (PC, CC 2014) the script does not appear in the Window menu like it should. I've placed the script here : C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2014\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels

Anything I need to do to get this to work?

Update : Script shows up in File -> Scripts if it's placed in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2014\Support Files\Scripts\
    Make sure it is directly in the  ScriptUI Panels folder and not in a subfolder. You will then find it under the Window menu in After Effects.
  • Any optimization tips? I'm looking at about 10m detecting per 1m of video. Trimmed down to bare source clip. Any thoughts? I need to chew through about 90 minutes of footage. (┛ಠДಠ)┛彡┻━┻ I can do it faster by hand!

*edit - i read the comment about speed matching render time so i made a prores 422 proxy 480p little thing and chucked it in a precomp and boom. 1 to 1 realtime.