Duplicate with Connections
  • Could it be possible to just have the index of the property value and keep the name of the layers group?

So instead of this:

thisComp.layer(9)(5)(1)(5)

I would prefer this:

thisComp.layer("element").effect("Element")(5)

Thanks

• Good news! Version 1.06 now has extra functionality that gives you this feature!

Duplicate with Connections

• Is there a way to do this to an entire composition? That is to say, create a mirror composition with every layer parented back to the original composition? Or, at least can I run this script on multiple layers at once? I have been trying to use this script in combination with Buena Depth Cue so can create real time depth mattes for Particular. As much as this script saves time in making slaved duplicate layers, it becomes tedious to run the script individually on each layer in the comp. I'd pay for a script that would work as easy as pre-compositing, but would actually create a completely new comp with all layers linked with absolute paths.
  • At this time, it is not possible. In the long run, it might be better to find an alternative as that many expressions might slow down After Effects.
  • I've been using this script recently to facilitate onion skinning in AE. Run the script on the layer you want to onion skin and answer: yes, no, no. Then precomp the duped layer. Add the echo effect to the precomp and tailor to your preference. Repeat the process for a before and after onion skin. Here's a sample AE project (it's CC): http://snk.to/f-ctjl43fn Awesome script! Super-useful!
  • I've been using this script recently to facilitate onion skinning in AE. Run the script on the layer you want to onion skin and answer: yes, no, no. Then precomp the duped layer. Add the echo effect to the precomp and tailor to your preference. Repeat the process for a before and after onion skin. Here's a sample AE project (it's CC): http://snk.to/f-ctjl43fn Awesome script! Super-useful!
    By the way we will be releasing a new plugin soon called "Stickey Paint" that will allow you to paint directly in the comp viewer with onion-skinning.  Stay tuned for the official announcement at NAB next week.
  • Does nor work with Perspective-->DROP SHADOW effect. Gives error.
  • I tried using the effect with the script and I was unable to reproduce the issue. Please feel free to post a support ticket  and we can troubleshoot it!
  • I tried using this script on an entire folder structure with sub folders and lots of nested comps. It seems to work but everything gets renamed with the exact same name. Folders as wel as comps all share the same name. Also the status report at the end says it only duplicated 3 items and updated 0 expressions, when in fact it duplicated over a 100 items and updated all the 929 expressions.

Any way to keep the original names? I'm on CC by the way.
  • I think you are thinking of a different script. Maybe True Comp Duplicator? This script only works on layers.
  • For copying duplicated items between comps of varying lengths and starting points (or for moving copied items within the same comp as its source), it'd be helpful if there was a way to start the slaved keyframing of the copied layers at their in point rather than having the keyframes animate relative to their position within the copied layer's comp timing.
  • Thanks Zachary, I'll look into it!
  • I love this script but it doesn't work very well in CC 2014.
    How can we fix the bug ? Is there an update planned soon ?

Thanks
  • What is happening that is not working in CC 2014?
  • Hi, I am using this great script with Camsphere2. When adding objects to a scene this script is indispensable, thanks! I noticed that if I have multiple layers parented to another layer (they as a set form a 3d object and as such they are parented to move around and scale together) and I try to duplicate all of them with connections to place into my various camera comps it loses the parenting, Should I Dw/C each individual layer then re-parent them in each comp? As it is, in my main scene view they stick and move together, but in the other comps they have completely lost shape and connection and none of the layers are parented.

Cheers,
    Eli
  • I'm not sure exactly what might be causing the issue. I tried reproducing it but couldn't get the issue albeit yours is a more complex setup. Much of this script's functionality has already been superceded in CC 2014 and above with the Copy with Property Links command. Have you tried this command to see if it does the same thing? Otherwise, please post an example that I may be able to look further into.

Michael
  • Works great for all the expressions! Would love an update that replicates the parenting on the duplicates as well. Thanks!!
  • Thanks Beth, sounds like a great idea! I will look into that! If it's a doable implementation, I'll post an update!
  • Would it be possible for the script to write just the normal connections names you would get when linking manually? 

Now the script gives back this form of linkage:
    comp("F00_BASIC").layer("Aim_1")("Effects")("Drop Shadow")("Opacity")

This is a problem when you want to make the AE file available for international use, since the script "Expression Universalizer" can only read the standard linking, which looks like this:
    comp("F00_BASIC").layer("Aim_1").effect("Drop Shadow")("Opacity")

I would also prefer this writing for standard use, since it is easier to read. 
    Might this is possible? Would be great!
    Otherwise great and usefull script!
    Thank you !

• Is there a way to do multiple copies at once? I choose it from Window> and get three question popups, then it creates a single duplicate. It opens a UI panel, but it is empty.
  • Unfortunately script doesn’t create multiple copies however it’s functionality has been mostly supplanted by the native copy property links command. Try Edit > Copy Property Links and paste from the clipboard as many times as you want.
  • Is there a way for this script to work on paths / groups within a shape layer?
  • Yes, it does. Are you unable to do so? Please describe your error.