SkyBox Studio
  • Can anyone recommend a 360 camera for the consumer class that doesn't put one in debt till 2020? 
  • The Ricoh Theta looks like it should be affordable. Also Kodak looks like they have an offering that is geared to consumer level.

Cheers,
    Chris
    mettle.com
  • This looks like what I am looking for as I am doing a bunch of VFX heavy 360 work using the Jaunt camera system. So far there are very few tools to address doing VFX work and simplify the workflow. This looks like its a huge step in the right direction. Quick question though. Is there a plan to incorperate stereo into this workflow?  That would drive it home! On the last few projects I used Evil Twin which aided greatly as you can work in just the left eye and transfer everything to the right automatically. That was a great workflow. Thanks for making super useful (and needed) tools!

• This looks like what I am looking for as I am doing a bunch of VFX heavy 360 work using the Jaunt camera system. So far there are very few tools to address doing VFX work and simplify the workflow. This looks like its a huge step in the right direction. Quick question though. Is there a plan to incorperate stereo into this workflow?  That would drive it home! On the last few projects I used Evil Twin which aided greatly as you can work in just the left eye and transfer everything to the right automatically. That was a great workflow. Thanks for making super useful (and needed) tools!

You'll be happy to hear that the developers of SkyBox and the developers of Evil Twin have been talking about this exact topic for a while.  As you can imagine it's not an easy problem to solve but the best minds are working on it!

You'll be happy to hear that the developers of SkyBox and the developers of Evil Twin have been talking about this exact topic for a while.  As you can imagine it's not an easy problem to solve but the best minds are working on it!
    You guys rock! I would love to beta test as I am doing alot of high profile work in the live action VR realm and hate going to Nuke!
  • So I picked this up the other day and gotta say that so far skybox rocks!  Being able to work in cubic aides greatly in rig removal. Looking forward to the stereo integration (soon... I hope...PLEASE!!!!!!). As someone who is starting to do a lot of work in this arena (live action 360 VR), I am glad to see developers moving in to address some of the daunting tasks that we filmmakers face when the camera sees everything in all directions! I am especially excited to have it in After Effects! Stereo soon please! :) I am a huge fan!
  • Thanks for the kind words Tim. Please share your work with us here on aescripts and kindly send me a link to work you have created with SkyBox Studio... send it directly to me at chris (at) mettle.com

We are trying very hard to make Stereo VR work in AE. We will post our results when we come up with something promising.

Again, thansk for the kind words and pleas eshare your work with us :-)

Cheers,
    Chris
    mettle.com
  • Will do! Got a few more weeks on this one. They (I am working on our second VR experience) are being released through both Jaunt and Oculus. I don't have a release date when I do Ill let everyone know.
  • Sweet! I look forward to seeing it :-)

Can you please send me a contact request on Skype, our Skype handle is Mettlecom. I would like to ask you some questions (when you can spare the time).

Cheers,
    Chris
    mettle.com
  • hi!

i'm trying to integrate optical flares into footage. i'm doint this in the edit comp. i made a solid, applied opticalflares and switched it to 3d mode. somehow i get weird edges in the output comp. the flares don'r line up. does anybody allready tried this?

thanks!
  • Unlike Element 3D , Freeform Pro and Shapeshifter, Optical Flares, like Particular, CC Particle World  and some other 3d plugins are not real 3d plug ins. Optical Flares  camera projection is the problem. I would use Optical Flares very judiciously. I would keep away from the cameras and especially the edges of the cameras.
  • When is Stereo 3D going to be integrated? That's a must-have for me and for may other folks. Difficult I know. Are there currently any work-arounds?
  • We will post news on Stereo 3D support when it is ready.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,
    Chris
    mettle.com
  • I purchased Skybox Studio. I'm on Win 10 & using Aftereffects CS 6. 
    I have enabled 'Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network' checked but I'm unable to register my key! 
    Please resolve this soon. 
  • I purchased Skybox Studio. I'm on Win 10 & using Aftereffects CS 6. 
    I have enabled 'Allow Scripts to Write Files and Access Network' checked but I'm unable to register my key! 
    Please resolve this soon. 
    Please open a support ticket and we will help you get it registered https://aescripts.com/contact/

• Hi - so I have a 22 second 360 degree video I took with my Kodak SP360 4K cam. I brought it into AE (running on Win10) and rendering it out as a MP4 takes just a few mins. Once I convert the comp using Skybox Extractor and render the Skybox Output comp, the same raw video now takes a whopping 30-40mins to render!  This is just the raw video in both instances - no extra graphics or anything.

Am I doing or missing something here?  I bought this plugin to edit my 360 degree videos with some basic text, but if it takes this long for just a 22 second video on my editing workstation, rendering will take a half a week or more for the length of videos I want to create (15+mins long) which won't work for me....please help!
  • @AaronNanto
    SkyBox Studio sets up 6 cameras in your comp that get rendered. So for sure the rendering time is longer that a single camera. However, your render times seem waaaay to long. Please open a support ticket  and we will help you solve this, and see exactly what you are doing. It may be a workflow issue. 
    We will post his solution here afterwards.
  • Thanks Nancy - I opened a ticket.
  • Hi! I purchased Skybox Studio. I'm on Mac OS Yosemite & using After Effects CC 2015
    Says that i need some kind of license key to continue.
    Please solve this soon as possible.
    Thanks! :)
  • Hi! I purchased Skybox Studio. I'm on Mac OS Yosemite & using After Effects CC 2015
    Says that i need some kind of license key to continue.
    Please solve this soon as possible.
    Thanks! :)
    You can find your licenses in the 'My Downloads & Licenses' section of your user account.  If you need further assistance please open a support ticket.
  • What are the limitations on the trial?
  • You only get 3 Trials with SkyBox Creator or SkyBox Extractor so it would be best if you did a few tutorials first.

A watermark is drawn on SkyBox Converter and SkyBox Viewer.

All is removed once you buy a license key.

Cheers,
    Chris
    mettle.com
    Chris Bobotis | Creative Director, Founder
  • I'm confused. CAn you make 360 video and FX just with Skybox Studio?  Or do you need to also buy another version? 
  • Yes you can - most everything... there is a second product we offer for After Effects which offers ip 360 Post FX... very important.
    We also have a product for Premiere Pro "SkyBox 360|VR Tools".

Last but not least, we were showing the first set of SkyBox 360/VR Transitions for Premiere Pro at NAB this year. Not available just yet but very sweet :-)

Cheers,
    Chris
    mettle.com
  • Hi folks,

does anyone have a method of converting a Fulldome format video too Equirectangular, if i use the convertor i only have the option of sphere map > Equi and this gives me a couple of big pinch marks.

Many thanks!

Steve
  • Hi,

I updated to AE 2015.3 and installed the Skybox Studio update. AfterFX hangs everytime after running the skybox creator script. I am using E3D, cam with null, no blending, on a 1920x1920 base file. Skybox worked fine prior to upgrades. Hangs even with caps lock on.

Thnx

• Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same problem as Arron Nanto. Any comp using Skybox plugin takes ridiculous amount of time to render.

For example, 2.39 min video will take over 3hrs to render. This is extremely frustrating as it doesn't allow for much flexibility and creating multiple revisions.

Kind Regards,