pt_ImportSubtitles
  • Hi Paul

When I use the v1.4, the encord format was correctly show the subtitle
    (subrip format ramdomly show the next line early then previous line error)

But when i use the V1.41, the encord format always show this error
    ----
    Unable to import subtitle. Incorrectly formatted timecode.
    ?00:01:47:15 00:01:51:12 意義不明的文字排列
    ----
    UTF-8 code in Chinese

in my subtitle file,there is no "?" at the beginning
    i try to import 10 more sub file, the error will show everytime
    and i can't find where to download the previous version
    Please help
    THX

• Hi Alex,

I think you should be able to download earlier versions through your account section in 'My Downloads & Licenses'.

But the best thing to do would be open a support ticket, attaching a copy of your subtitle file (both encore and subrip versions as it sounds like you're having problems with both formats).

Paul
  • Hi Paul,

After updating to the latest version, I find that subtitles are no longer in sync for long videos. For a two hour movie, by the last subtitle, the subtitle is about 5 seconds ahead. I never had this problem with previous versions of the plugin. I found it is possible to import the After Effects composition into Premiere and then use the rate stretch tool to stretch it to about 99.9%. But obviously it would be preferable to get the timing to work. 

I suspect this has something to do with how Adobe deals with non-drop frames. Do you have any ideas on how to deal with this?

Thanks,

Kevin 

• Hi Kevin, Yes this does sound like a drop/non-drop frame issue. I have tried to improve how it's handled but it's possible this has caused side effects, hence you now having issues. It's a tricky area that I've spent a fair bit of time getting my head around the various factors at play.

Time-stretching the layer in After Effects after import is another way of fixing this. Dividing between the drop / non-drop frame rates 29.97 / 30 = 99.9% 30 / 29.97 = 100.1% can give you the right stretch value depending on if it's drifting early / late.

To improve how ImportSubtitles handles these situations I need as many different workflow examples as possible. If you could open a support ticket and send me your subtitles file, resulting AE project, plus an explanation of how the subtitle file was created, it would be very helpful.
  • Having upgraded to After Effects 2015, if I import an srt with accented characters in it doesn't work anymore. Eg. 'Tancrède' becomes 'Tancr√®de'.

Any idea why this is happening after upgrade, has been fine for past 3 years on all other versions.
  • Hi Sebastien, Do you still have an earlier version of AE on your system? Can you check if it imports ok in that version? My main advice would be to ensure the subtitle text file is UTF-8 encoded. I'm not aware of any changes to how AE interprets text encoding in CC2015, but I guess it's possible. If you'd like to open a support ticket and attach the subtitle file I can take a look on my end.

• Hi Paul.
    Thanks for a great script...just wondering if there is a way to export the layered text?
    I manually edited the text and in's and out's to fit perfect ,would be great to export it to a new textfile...
  • Hi Klas, Glad you like it. No it can't re-export subtitles. No plans for that at the moment, and I doubt there's enough demand to justify the work required.
  • Really Handy tool - is there an update for CC2015 yet? As it doesn't seem to load the SRT files now???

Thanks
  • This is a great script, but we can't use it with Arabic subtitles. Any workarounds? Any plans to support Arabic in future versions? Help!
  • Hi Adam, What problem are you having with CC2015? There is an issue where a large amount of subtitles can take a long time to import in CC2015, which I'm working on an update for, but apart from that it should work ok. If you want to open a support ticket and attach the SRT file I can take a look.
  • Hi Joanna, I've been trying to get Arabic text support into ImportSubtitles for quite some time. I've been looking into a possible solution recently and would hope to have something in place sometime soon but I can't say for sure.
  • Hello,
    Is there a way to change the text attributes (font, color, weight) in one click, instead of editing each "source text" keyframe?

• Hi Matteo, Either change the settings in the Character panel and import again, or create a text layer with your desired style settings and have that selected when you do the import (it will adopt the style of any text layer selected at time of import).
    My pt_TextEdit script can be used to change the style settings of an existing text layer on all frames, but as it doesn't take long to do an import you might as well change the settings then import again.
  • Hi Paul, Thank you for your quick reply.
    I have another question: I imported the srt with the "read italic &c " option activated. Then your plugin created a new text layer called "style controller" that in my case, change the text from normal to italic. Sothis is completely new to me; is it an after effects property? how it works?

thank you,
    Matteo

• Hi Matteo, Well it's kind of a hack that I used to add style tag support. The layer above has text which stores a character for each letter denoting if it's bold or italic. The main subtitle layer uses expressions that are linked to that which apply those styles to the correct characters. It isn't possible for scripting to directly alter the style of multiple characters on a single line so this was just how I did it. You need to ensure the 'style controller' layer stays directly above the main text layer in the timeline layer order.
  • Hi Paul, I am using AECS6 and imported a SRT file, but the subtitles didn't import correctly into my comp. They appear to me all bunched together over the first subtitle instance. Here is a screen shot. http://imgur.com/yMEl5a2
  • Hi Jim, if you open a support ticket and attach a copy of your SRT file I'll take a look. Paul
  • Hi is it possible to export SCRIPT IMAGE or FAB SCRIPT directly from AE?
  • Hi, There's nothing that would do that automatically. The only thing you can do is render out the individual subtitle frames from AE.
    It's an interesting idea though. What tools currently exist to do this, and what would be the benefits of importing to AE through ImportSubtitles then exporting in one of those formats? 
  • The point is that in Encore it accepts .srt script / .tiff script image / fab script image.
    with .srt i have a big loose of quality.
    I would like to try to export sub from AE in IMAGE SCRIPT and then import in ENCORE.. is it possible? is there any other way to link AE to EN?
  • The point is that in Encore it accepts .srt script / .tiff script image / fab script image.
    I would like to try to export sub from AE in IMAGE SCRIPT and then import in ENCORE.. is it possible? is there any other way to link AE to EN?
  • And why I cannot buy the item? :O
  • At the moment I don't think there's a way to do that automatically. If you google 'Encore subtitle scripts' you'll find the Adobe help pages which shows the image script format. If you don't have too many subtitles, after importing the srt into AE with ImportSubtitles, you could manually save an image file for each of the frames using Composition > Save Frame As > File, then adjust the srt file to reference the images as per the image script format spec.
    It is certainly possible to script this functionality but I don't think it exists currently.

Not sure what you mean by cannot buy the item. If you're having problems purchasing pt_ImportSubtitle then please open a support ticket.

• Hey Paul,

First time posting. Any help is monstrously appreciated. Two points:

First,
    when saving my Composition, from After Effects to Premiere, after a
    time the media in premiere will become 'missing'. It will be unusable
    past that point - annoyingly. Am I saving this incorrectly? I aren't
    doing anything with the file (saving it elsewhere) apart from a drag
    & drop into Premiere.

Secondly, I cannot see the text within
    Pt_Subtitles in After Effects. When I load my .SRT into AE, i can see it
    on the timeline, though no text appear. I can highlight the box,
    although this just reveals a solid block of clour and no text still. I
    can also type, as if there was a box to be typed into - although no box
    appears.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Many, many thanks.
    Chris
  • Hi Chris, I responded to your support ticket about these issues yesterday. Did you not see it? Paul
  • Hey Paul, apologies - it went through to Junk (annoyingly).

Thanks for your response, and it's fantastic speed. I'll try these solutions out early tomorrow, when I'm back home, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks Paul - and thank you for Pt_subs. It was literally a life-saver, beyond belief.

Chris.
  • Hey Paul - bumping here, just incase it reaches you sooner. Currently in the suite.

Hey Paul,

After trying to save and re-open the project multiple times, and after
    waiting around ten minutes for it to load - still no text shows up,
    unfortunately.

Though, when opening a former project - the text is present, and allows
    for a healthy export, which is odd.

I've attached a screenshot of my current project/comp, incase it shows
    that I'm loading it incorrectly, which might well be the issue as former
    projects (only created two days ago) are still working.

Though, when I
    attempt to load a new .SRT into a previous project - it doesn't load
    correctly.

It seems to have come with a Adobe AE CC 2015 update..

Thanks Paul - any advice is massively appreciated.

Best,
    Chris

• Hi Chris, There was no attachment and I'm not sure if you even can attach in these discussion pages. You can attach if you respond through one of the support tickets you've raised about this.

If you still have CC 2014 installed then importing using that, even if you were to then save and reopen in CC 2015, would probably be the simplest solution. You could also attach one of your problem projects to the support ticket so I can take a look, and the .SRT file so I can try to replicate myself.

Paul
  • Thanks Paul. Sent through Support ticket, just now.
  • Hi Paul,
    I would like to buy your pt_ImportSubtitles,at the moment I still in trial and i couldn't find  the function to set and change the duration of the subtitles directly on the timeline.I tryed to move the "2 marks" of the subtitle imported but nothing happens.The duration of the text subtitle isn't in sync with the video.
    Do you know and I would like you to show me if there is something like that to manage the show duration of the text layer on the time line?.
    Thx
  • Hi Fabrizio, pt_ImportSubtitles takes the timing information from the subtitle file. You can't change them by moving the layer markers although you could do it by moving the text keyframes that it creates (select layer and press U to reveal them).
    But if you're saying they don't match the timings in the subtitles file, that's a different matter, so let me know.
  • Paul,I thank you for your answere,I know that I can change timing directly inside the text scrip(but that sucks because means for a short film I need to waste a lot of time,you now what I mean).
    I tryed in the second way (select layer and press U) works better!If i have any other trouble I'll let you now. :)
  • Hi, Paul,

I'm trying to figure out how to install it in Adobe CC, I am able to install it for CS6 but it doesn't work when I place it in the supported/plugin for Adobe CC, do you have any suggestions how to install the plugin? 

Thanks!
  • Normally you would just copy the script directly into the After Effects app's Scripts folder (to run from the File > Scripts folder) or ScriptUI Panels (if you want it as a dockable panel accessed from Windows menu). On Windows those folders are inside the Support Files folder.

If your access to the app folder is locked down you can still run scripts from any location simply by selecting them from the File > Scripts > Run Script File... menu.

There are some Knowledge Base articles about this accessible through the aescripts.com Support tab.

• Hi Paul,

I've used the subtitle script without problem in the past, but after not using it for a while I'm running into strange issues. I'm on CC2015 and using v1.51 of the script.

The script imports the subtitle file fine. But there's no style controller layer created.
    When I create subtitles for a feature film, the first 40 minutes have the correct font that was selected when the script was run. But the second half of the subtitles somehow use the Minion Pro font, and since font selection is part of the source text keyframe, I have to change the font for each keyframe, one keyframe at a time. I tried selecting all keyframes and changing the font and it doesn't work.

I've tried on bot Mac and Windows machines, same result.

EDIT: Okay - it seems to depend on the font. When I use Helvetica for the subtitles, it works fine. If I use Officina, it flips to Minion Pro halfway through... I guess Helvetica it is then...

Best,

Barend
  • Hi Barend, That does sound odd. The style controller layer is only added if there are style tags in the srt file and that only controls whether the text is bold or italic anyway.

One solution might be to use my pt_TextEdit script which, when set in the prefs to alter all keyframes, can change the font for all keyframes on a layer. Or you could try making a copy of the subtitle file that starts from 40 mins in and do a second import, then trim the first layer.

It would be best if you opened a support ticket for this. It may be useful for me to see your project and subtitle file.

• Just a suggestion:

The text added reflects the text settings. If your font is set to be a specific type with a specific format, the subtitles will be added with that info. But I often add text to some composition and after it I work in the composition where I'll add the .srt. I have to go back and forth changing the text before adding the subtitles.

So my suggestion is to separate this settings. When you use the plugin, in that window where you can select some properties, we could have the ability to change the font format just for that .srt import.
  • Hi Marcos, If you have a text layer selected when you do the import, it will take the text settings from that layer rather than use the current Character panel settings.
  • Hi Paul, I'm new to AE.

Is there any way to also export the black box layer to Premiere?

Thank you for creating this product.

Update: it somehow fixed itself and now I see the black box in Premiere. Sorry, I probably did something wrong earlier, this comment can be removed.
  • Hi Hovav, No problem. Glad you got it working.
  • Having the same issue as Barend Onneweer on April 13. Im importing an .SRT file and not getting a style controller layer.
    I'm using CC 2017 but not sure if this unique to this version...
  • Hi Graeme, Does your SRT file have style tags in it, and you've got the 'Read....tags' enabled? If so, please open a support ticket and attach copy of the SRT file.
  • Hi Paul,

I've been having an issue with the plugin and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Whenever I import an SRT or Encore file with a last sub that is close to the last frame, the subtitle layer adds time to the comp.

So, if I have a 30 second comp and I import a file with the last subtitle exiting at 00:00:28.22 for instance, my comp gets another 10 or so seconds added to its length.

I never figured out how the extra time was calculated, it's always random.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Hi Olivier,

Looking at the code, it actually extends the comp by 5 seconds past the end time of the last subtitle. I can't see how it would be random but feel free to open a support ticket and send me some examples if you'd like.

Based on feedback from another user, in the next update I've changed it so that it only extends to the end time of the last subtitle, then warns you that the comp has been extended. If you or anyone else has any suggestions for how ImportSubtitles should deal with the comp duration if it isn't long enough for the subtitles then please let me know.

Paul
  • Hi Paul,

I've managed to get the SRT subtitles showing up over my  video in After Effects CS5, however I can't seem to get the Black Box feature to work. I've  clicked on "Add black box" and tried small, medium and large but no box shows up behind the text in either case. Is there some step I'm missing?

regards

David
  • Hi David, There's a problem with the 'align bottom with title safe' not working in older AE versions up to CS6. This is causing the script to fail before it gets to the black box task. If you uncheck this option the black box should work. I'm working on an update that fixes this issue. Apologies for the inconvenience.

• Hi Paul,

I've been using your script for about 2 years now and has not encounter any problem until recently and i'm not sure what could cause this issue.

The Issue:
    a SubRip (.srt) file containing English and Chinese text imported with the latest version of this script (ver 1.51) into A.E CC (ver 14.1.0.57) with defined font setting (Arial font) as instructed.

At the start the fonts are correct but once it encounters a Chinese text, that particular sentence font will be changed to Chinese font which was correct from previous uses, the next sentence is all English text and the font should return back to Arial font as it did previously but now the rest of the sentences uses the Chinese font from before and not (Arial font) for the rest of the timeline.

Seek your kind assistance in this matter.

Regards,
    William
  • Hi William, If you can open a support ticket (link below the Post Comment button) and attach a zip file containing a copy of the SRT file along with a project showing the result, I'll take a look. Thanks.