Squash & Stretch Pro
  • Hallo,

Ich würde gerne wissen, ob es möglich ist, die Animation wie einen "Reset" zu ändern, ohne viele Schritte zurückgehen zu müssen. Vielen Dank ;)
  • Hello,

I would like to know whether it is possible to change the animation, like a "reset", without having to go back many steps. Thanks ;)
  • Hallo Leila, ein einfaches Reset mit einem Click gibt es leider nicht, daes für Squash & Stretch sehr schwer nachzuvollziehen ist, welche Änderungen Squash & Stretch selbst gemacht hat, und was sonst so alles in der Timeline verändert wurde und erhalten werden soll.

Wenn du eine Behavior durch eine neue gleich lange oder längere ersetzen willst, solltest du die neue einfach anwenden können und die alte wird überschrieben. Wenn die neue kürzer ist, mußt du vorher die Keyframes löschen (den Bezier Warp Effekt kannst du auch gleich komplett löschen, dann bleiben nur die Keyframes der Transform-Eigenschaften übrig). Falls Du Sounds ausgewählt hast, musst du diese auch manuell aus der Timeline löschen.

Hallo,

Ich würde gerne wissen, ob es möglich ist, die Animation wie einen "Reset" zu ändern, ohne viele Schritte zurückgehen zu müssen. Vielen Dank ;)

• hello, Im having an issue with the extension identifying the bundles from a folder in my documents. Idk if i misread the directions but it seemed as if all i had to do was copy paste the bundles in my a folder at any location and have the extension then locate that folder and then work immediately as intended. anyway. please respond soon if possible.  
  • Hi Taco,
    best open a support ticket for these kinds of questions, then it is much easier for me to attach images etc.

In general, this sounds like you accidentally renamed one of the folders or don’t have the right folder structure.

You should have folders like this:

Squash And Stretch Bundles/Core Bundle

and if you installed extra bundles they should also be in the “Squash And Stretch Bundles” folder, i.e.

Squash And Stretch Bundles/Cartoon Bundle
    Squash And Stretch Bundles/Broadcast Bundle
    Squash And Stretch Bundles/Glitch Bundle

When Squash & Stretch asks for the Squash And Stretch Bundles folder, please make sure to actually select the folder
    "Squash And Stretch Bundles” and not the folder “Core Bundle” that is contained in it. 

Also make sure to do not simply unzip the entire download of the extra bundles to the bundles folder. The Cartoon Bundle zip, for example consists of a folder with a HOW_TO_INSTALL.pfd and a “Cartoon Bundle” subfolder and only this "Cartoon Bundle” subfolder needs to moved into the Squash & Stretch Bundles folder.

Also make sure that you didn’t accidentally remove a space or anything else in the folder names and don’t  change their upper/lower case letters.

The folder of each bundle (i.e. the folder “Core Bundle” and also “Broadcast Bundle” etc) each have two subfolders:
    Animations
    Sounds
    Make sure those are also not renamed.
    The folder “Animations” contains various subfolders with json files (one for each behavior) and the Sounds folder should contain the wav files of the bundle (also organized in subfolders).

If it is still not working, best open a support ticket and attach a screenshot (from Mac OS Finder or Windows Explorer) showing your folder structure.

Cheers
    Mathias

hello, Im having an issue with the extension identifying the bundles from a folder in my documents. Idk if i misread the directions but it seemed as if all i had to do was copy paste the bundles in my a folder at any location and have the extension then locate that folder and then work immediately as intended. anyway. please respond soon if possible.  

• Like the others above, I just purchased Squash and Stretch Pro with the 3 bundles and the plugin is not recognizing my Bundles folder.  I sent a request on the Mamoworld web page but I'm making a post here as well.  I'm on a 2018 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.4.  I placed the bundles folder here:

/Users/phoppes/Documents/Squash And Stretch Bundles

The opening dialog block comes up complaining that it cannot find this path.  I go to the drop down menu and open up the Preferences dialog box and I get the same message.  What is interesting is if I click the button below that says "Open Bundles Folder" the plugin opens the correct folder with all of the bundles inside.  Also, just to be sure, I went into the OS Preferences panel and went to "Security & Privacy" and then open the Privacy Tab and scroll down and After Effects is shown to have access to the Documents folder.

As an additional note, when I click on the little folder icon to locate the path I only select the Squash and Stretch Bundles folder and then select Open I do not go to any of the sub folders.  Only the main subfolders have been place.  None of the .pdf directions files are in this location.  You can see this from my attached screenshot.  Also, I'm not sure this would make a difference but I first purchased and installed the free version of this plugin.  Decided I liked it so I then used the AEScripts app to uninstall the free version and install the Pro version.
    OpenDialogBox.jpg
    620 x 528 - 42K
    PreferenceFolderWIthPath.jpg
    1512 x 528 - 86K
  • Hi Phil,
    the problem is that you don't have the "Core Bundle" in your "Squash And Stretch Bundles" folder.
    The Core Bundle contains all behaviors that are included in Squash & Stretch Pro by default (without any extra bundles). You find the Core Bundle in the main Squash & Stretch Pro download. Just copy is the the "Squash And Stretch Bundles" folder like you did for all other bundles and you should be fine. 

Like the others above, I just purchased Squash and Stretch Pro with the 3 bundles and the plugin is not recognizing my Bundles folder.  I sent a request on the Mamoworld web page but I'm making a post here as well.  I'm on a 2018 MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.4.  I placed the bundles folder here:

/Users/phoppes/Documents/Squash And Stretch Bundles

The opening dialog block comes up complaining that it cannot find this path.  I go to the drop down menu and open up the Preferences dialog box and I get the same message.  What is interesting is if I click the button below that says "Open Bundles Folder" the plugin opens the correct folder with all of the bundles inside.  Also, just to be sure, I went into the OS Preferences panel and went to "Security & Privacy" and then open the Privacy Tab and scroll down and After Effects is shown to have access to the Documents folder.

As an additional note, when I click on the little folder icon to locate the path I only select the Squash and Stretch Bundles folder and then select Open I do not go to any of the sub folders.  Only the main subfolders have been place.  None of the .pdf directions files are in this location.  You can see this from my attached screenshot.  Also, I'm not sure this would make a difference but I first purchased and installed the free version of this plugin.  Decided I liked it so I then used the AEScripts app to uninstall the free version and install the Pro version.

• AH....you were right!  That fixed the issue.  Duh.... how could I be so dumb.  Well I'm up running now.  Thanks much for your help.
  • hello, im having issues with launching squash and stretch bro from the extension tab. i can see the option and i select it but the S&S browser window doesnt launch. anyone else with this issue? I have AE 2022 downloaded atm. 
  • Hi Taco,

please open a support ticket at

Then I can assign the ticket to Kevin, who is developing our installer. Kevin will be able to help you with that.

hello, im having issues with launching squash and stretch bro from the extension tab. i can see the option and i select it but the S&S browser window doesnt launch. anyone else with this issue? I have AE 2022 downloaded atm. 

• hello, im having issues with launching squash and stretch bro from the extension tab. i can see the option and i select it but the S&S browser window doesnt launch. anyone else with this issue? I have AE 2022 downloaded atm.

Same problem here.  Selecting Squash & Stretch Pro from the AE extensions menu does nothing.

• Hi Mark,

I got your support ticket and just assigned it to Kevin who is developing our installer and who will be able to help you.

hello, im having issues with launching squash and stretch bro from the extension tab. i can see the option and i select it but the S&S browser window doesnt launch. anyone else with this issue? I have AE 2022 downloaded atm.

Same problem here.  Selecting Squash & Stretch Pro from the AE extensions menu does nothing.

• Hi Mattias! I plan to use SAS Pro for many text animations, and I hope to buy it today. But I see the user has to pre-compose every letter of the alphabet to do the animation on each letter. Is it best that I make my text letters in photoshop and save them out as PNG files to reduce the workload? 
  • Hi John,

S&S Pro needs to precompose the letters because otherwise the Bezier Warp which deforms the letters does not work properly. However, the good news is that both splitting a text into letters and precomposing the letters are steps that S&S Pro does automatically.

If you apply S&S to a text layer, it asks if it should be split into individual letters. No matter what you choose, after that it will precompose the text (either the entire text in one precomp of one for each letter), before the actual animation is created.

Hi Mattias! I plan to use SAS Pro for many text animations, and I hope to buy it today. But I see the user has to pre-compose every letter of the alphabet to do the animation on each letter. Is it best that I make my text letters in photoshop and save them out as PNG files to reduce the workload? 

• Hi John,

S&S Pro needs to precompose the letters because otherwise the Bezier Warp which deforms the letters does not work properly. However, the good news is that both splitting a text into letters and precomposing the letters are steps that S&S Pro does automatically.

If you apply S&S to a text layer, it asks if it should be split into individual letters. No matter what you choose, after that it will precompose the text (either the entire text in one precomp of one for each letter), before the actual animation is created.
    ----------
    OK Thanks ... I will purchase it today!

Hi Mattias! I plan to use SAS Pro for many text animations, and I hope to buy it today. But I see the user has to pre-compose every letter of the alphabet to do the animation on each letter. Is it best that I make my text letters in photoshop and save them out as PNG files to reduce the workload? 

• Installed with ZXP Installer, shows installed.

Launching the application from Windows>Extensions>Squash and... Does nothing.

Edit:
    Solved on my own - Knowledge base tab - Known issues - zxp installer settings - CEP 10 enable debugging
    Restarted after effects and plugin was working.
  • Hi Steven,
    If you are experiencing an issue where the extension won't open or opens with a blank window please try this solution:
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/zxp-cep-extension-won-t-open/

Background:
    On some systems, the extension installation mechanism provided by Adobe (that our installer uses in the background) has some issues. The FAQ liked above usually fixes these issues.

Installed with ZXP Installer, shows installed.

Launching the application from Windows>Extensions>Squash and... Does nothing.

Edit:
    Solved on my own - Knowledge base tab - Known issues - zxp installer settings - CEP 10 enable debugging
    Restarted after effects and plugin was working.

• Is this Apple Silicon compatible? If not, when will it be updated?
  • Yes, it is compatible with Apple Silicon.
    Is this Apple Silicon compatible? If not, when will it be updated?

• Does the project file I worked with squashandstretch work normally in the another AE which doesn't have squashandstretch installed ?
  • Hi Seungmin,
    yes, the projects you create with Squash & Stretch are fully working also on machines where Squash & Stretch is not installed.

Does the project file I worked with squashandstretch work normally in the another AE which doesn't have squashandstretch installed ?

• Hello! I have finally installed and activated my license for Squash and Stretch Pro. I also got the Cartoon and Glitch Bundles. The Extension is saying it cannot locate the Cartoon and Glitch Bundles even as I see them in the folder as the install instruction shows. It says those Bundles may not be installed correctly. Please help.
  • Hi John,

I just replied to your support ticket. Usually this is an issue with the folder structure in your bundles folder (like folders being renamed accidentally). In that case, best open a support ticket (like you did) and attach some screenshots of Windows Explorer / Mac Os Finder showing where you copied the files of the bundles.

Hello! I have finally installed and activated my license for Squash and Stretch Pro. I also got the Cartoon and Glitch Bundles. The Extension is saying it cannot locate the Cartoon and Glitch Bundles even as I see them in the folder as the install instruction shows. It says those Bundles may not be installed correctly. Please help.

• Hi,

I have a shape layer I want to keep continuously rasterized. When S&S is applied and it becomes precomposed, that option is unchecked. When I check it again, the behavior of the shape is altered with the movement changing

Is this to be expected? Is there a fix?

Thanks!
  • Hi Luke,

the issue is that Squash & Stretch uses an effect (the Bezier Warp effect) to deform the layer. In order to work properly, these effects need to work on a layer that has the size of the content and not the size of the entire composition. That's actually the reason why S&S precomposes texts and shapes for you. If you enable "continuous rasterize", the deformation is again not applied to the precomp, but directly to the (full comp sized) shape layer inside of it.

In other words: In order to apply deformation properly, texts and shapes need to be rendered to pixels before applying the deformation. Hence, there is no way to combine this with continuous rasterization (unless you set Squash & Stretch to 0% and only generate keyframes for the layer transforms.
    Hi,

I have a shape layer I want to keep continuously rasterized. When S&S is applied and it becomes precomposed, that option is unchecked. When I check it again, the behavior of the shape is altered with the movement changing

Thanks!

• Thank you for your reply Mathias!

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm dealing with. The client's been a bit picky about crispness on edges and I'm concerned this will get flagged. If this is unavoidable however we can relay it to them.

Thanks again for your help,
    Luke

Hi Luke,

the issue is that Squash & Stretch uses an effect (the Bezier Warp effect) to deform the layer. In order to work properly, these effects need to work on a layer that has the size of the content and not the size of the entire composition. That's actually the reason why S&S precomposes texts and shapes for you. If you enable "continuous rasterize", the deformation is again not applied to the precomp, but directly to the (full comp sized) shape layer inside of it.

In other words: In order to apply deformation properly, texts and shapes need to be rendered to pixels before applying the deformation. Hence, there is no way to combine this with continuous rasterization (unless you set Squash & Stretch to 0% and only generate keyframes for the layer transforms.
    Hi,

Thanks!

• Hi Luke,

yes, I think since the deformation is processed on pixels and not on the actual shape paths, this antialiasing, which makes the shape a bit less crisp, is not avoidable. You can try to put the shape in a precomp manually before applying Squash & Stretch Pro. That way you can choose a comp with much higher resolution (just make sure the shape covers the full size of the comp) and scale this precomp down inside the main comp. Then Squash & Stretch will process the deformation on the higher resolution precomp. But this the precomp must be scaled down by Ae in the very end of the processing and during that slight blur might happen again.
  • Hi Luke,

yes, I think since the deformation is processed on pixels and not on the actual shape paths, this antialiasing, which makes the shape a bit less crisp, is not avoidable. You can try to put the shape in a precomp manually before applying Squash & Stretch Pro. That way you can choose a comp with much higher resolution (just make sure the shape covers the full size of the comp) and scale this precomp down inside the main comp. Then Squash & Stretch will process the deformation on the higher resolution precomp. But this the precomp must be scaled down by Ae in the very end of the processing and during that slight blur might happen again.

Thanks for the tip, Mathias! I'll definitely try this. Anyway, your plugins have saved so much time and have taught me so much already. Appreciate your work.
  • Hi Mathias,
    I installed my squash and stretch pro on my new mac and in the script UI it can't find the bundles folder, even though it is there when i open that folder. I have seen this issue popped up with someone else here too. any Idea? thank you, cheers, Uwe
  • Hi Uwe,

this sounds like you accidentally renamed one of the folders or don’t have the right folder structure. You should have folders like this:

and if you installed extra bundles they should also be in the “Squash And Stretch Bundles” folder, i.e.

When Squash & Stretch asks for the Squash And Stretch Bundles folder, please make sure to actually select the folder "Squash And Stretch Bundles” and not the folder “Core Bundle” that is contained in it. 

Also make sure that you didn’t accidentally remove a space or anything else in the folder names and don’t  change their upper/lower case letters.

The folder of each bundle (i.e. the folder “Core Bundle” and also “Broadcast Bundle” etc) each have two subfolders:
    Animations
    Sounds
    Make sure those are also not renamed. The folder “Animations” contains various subfolders with json files (one for each behavior) and the Sounds folder should contain the wav files of the bundle (also organized in subfolders).

You can go to Squash & Stretch preferences and click the
    “Open Bundles” button. It will open the configured “Squash And Stretch Bundles” folder so you can check if it contains the “Core Bundle” and “Broadcast Bundle” folders with the expected subfolders.

If it is still not working, please open a support ticket and best attach a screenshot of the folder structure such that I can check if it looks ok.

Hi Mathias,
    I installed my squash and stretch pro on my new mac and in the script UI it can't find the bundles folder, even though it is there when i open that folder. I have seen this issue popped up with someone else here too. any Idea? thank you, cheers, Uwe

• Hi Mathias, i just re-installed, this time using a download, not the plugin manager, it works now,
    thank you, cheers,
    Uwe

Hi Uwe,

this sounds like you accidentally renamed one of the folders or don’t have the right folder structure. You should have folders like this:

When Squash & Stretch asks for the Squash And Stretch Bundles folder, please make sure to actually select the folder "Squash And Stretch Bundles” and not the folder “Core Bundle” that is contained in it. 

Animations
    Sounds
    Make sure those are also not renamed. The folder “Animations” contains various subfolders with json files (one for each behavior) and the Sounds folder should contain the wav files of the bundle (also organized in subfolders).

You can go to Squash & Stretch preferences and click the
    “Open Bundles” button. It will open the configured “Squash And Stretch Bundles” folder so you can check if it contains the “Core Bundle” and “Broadcast Bundle” folders with the expected subfolders.

If it is still not working, please open a support ticket and best attach a screenshot of the folder structure such that I can check if it looks ok.

Hi Mathias,

• Thank you for the feedback, Uwe. Very good to hear that it is working now! :-)

Hi Mathias, i just re-installed, this time using a download, not the plugin manager, it works now,
    thank you, cheers,
    Uwe