Quick ToneMapper
  • Is a substitute for using Color IO?
    Yes and no - while it doesn't do any color management per se (you can leave your working space set to sRGB or rec709 or whatever you prefer), it allows you to apply tone mapping methods that you'd otherwise had to do with OCIO/ACES. Hope this helps!
    Yes and no - while it doesn't do any color management per se (you can leave your working space set to sRGB or rec709 or whatever you prefer), it allows you to apply tone mapping methods that you'd otherwise had to do with OCIO/ACES. Hope this helps!
    Brilliant timing btw as I've just been learning about ACES in Redshift.

I'm confused though. You say it doesn't do any color management. So if I render out a ACES RAW I would still need to use colorIO for conversion to ACEScg/sRGB? Is this plugin just the color correction side rather than using multiple effects?

If this does the conversion for me and gives me all the controls in a single effect then you can take my money!! But I think you need at least a video explaining how you intend this to be used, because I don't really get it at the moment. 
  • I am wondering what the best workflow with this would be for exporting an exr render from Blender? I usually export as exr 32bit and interpret footage and turn on Preserve RGB so that I can match my exposure from Blender perfectly in AE using the exposure effect. This does not work as intended with Quick Tonemapper though. I can't really recover highlights in intense shots either this way.
  • I am wondering what the best workflow with this would be for exporting an exr render from Blender? I usually export as exr 32bit and interpret footage and turn on Preserve RGB so that I can match my exposure from Blender perfectly in AE using the exposure effect. This does not work as intended with Quick Tonemapper though. I can't really recover highlights in intense shots either this way.
    Can you try the following? Do not check "preserve RGB" and do not use AE's exposure effect to match the exposure of the shot. Instead, try using Quick ToneMapper's exposure controls to match the exact camera settings from Blender. Depending on your renderer, you should be able to get an almost perfect match (tested in Redshift). Hope this helps!

• So if I render out a ACES RAW I would still need to use colorIO for conversion to ACEScg/sRGB?
    Yes if you'd want do get a perfect match to what you see in Redshift. The plugin doesn't do an ACES conversion, it applies an ACES-conversion-like effect (among others) within your selected color working space. Nonetheless, you can get a fairly similar result to proper ACES conversion by setting the tone-mapping method to "ACES" and playing around with the exposure a little.