• imagememleak

m̸͙̱̠͐̇è̴͚̤̊͜m̵̻̍̐l̷̛͔͕̿̋ẹ̴̣̆͠ä̷̢́̈̈k̶̡̡͑̿͝ ⁱˢ ᵃⁿ ⁱⁿᶠⁱⁿⁱᵗᵉ ᵍˡⁱᵗ̶͓͖̖͛͂͗́͝ᶜʰ ᵛⁱˢᵘᵃˡ ᵍᵉⁿᵉʳᵃᵗᵒʳ. ⁱᵗ ⁿᵉᵛᵉʳ ˡᵒᵒᵏˢ ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵃᵐᵉ ᵗʷⁱᶜᵉ.

https://aescripts.com/memleak/

• Now that is a true glitch plugin !
  • Interesting approach! Maybe this question is a bit too nerdy, but do you see any security issues with publishing random parts of my machines memory in video frames?
  • "Could not find a large enough block of memory. try lowering resolution".  I get this message ALOT even after lowering resolution.  It also seems to fill ram player quickly. I couldn't really get it to work consistently, it stops creating new pattern or gives the above error.
  • Interesting approach! Maybe this question is a bit too nerdy, but do you see any security issues with publishing random parts of my machines memory in video frames?

Valid question! I think the security risk is incredibly low for a few reasons:

1. While I say the plugin interprets "random" chunks of memory as pixel data, it's not actually random. It only reads a chunk of memory that the OS allocates for it, which means a chunk that has been freed/deallocated by other programs. Many programs will "write over" sensitive data before deallocating it.
    2. AE stores frames with a buffer at the end of each row that is never displayed - memleak writes the allocated memory to this buffer too, so any data that would take up more than one row (which would be most data in most cases, since it takes many bytes to store meaningful data and memleak is normally used at very low resolutions) would have large sections missing from it, likely rendering it useless.
    3. Once the video is exported, it's likely compressed, which will slightly change the colors of each pixel, effectively rendering whatever data they once stored unreadable.

However, that all being said, there is still a small risk that an extremely determined attacker could "restore" sensitive data from a frame in certain very rare cases. Out of an abundance of caution, I have just released an update that resolves this issue by changing each pixel's values by a tiny random amount, which looks basically the same but changes the data just enough that the original data could never be retrieved. It also doesn't add a noticeable amount of time to each render!

Thanks for the question!

Jonah

• "Could not find a large enough block of memory. try lowering resolution".  I get this message ALOT even after lowering resolution.  It also seems to fill ram player quickly. I couldn't really get it to work consistently, it stops creating new pattern or gives the above error.
    Hi there,

Sorry about this! I'm really interested in fixing this! Would you be willing to reach out on Discord or open an aescripts support ticket so we can talk more there?

Thanks,
    Jonah
  • Not compatible with 2022? M1 Max
  • Not compatible with 2022? M1 Max
    I haven't tested it on AE 2022 but it should work- you can try it for free with the green TRY button. If you have any problems, open a support ticket on aescripts and I'd be happy to help!

Jonah