• imageNice Curves

Generate elegant rounded paths, controlled by nulls. Similar to Illustrator's "round corners" feature, but way more controllable, and nondestructive. Add as many control points as you need, fine-tune each one or control all of them at once, and create multiple paths per comp.

https://aescripts.com/nice-curves/

• Hello Nick,

Nice curves looks lovely. Would you please let me know if I can use it in the following way, knowing that I am not a proficient AE user?

I am wiring a course on statistics and I want to animate statistical distributions, typically normal curves, or bell-shaped curves. I can see that Nice Curves allows for open curves, so I think I can probably create bell-shaped curves, which I will then want to "morph" into a different bell-shaped curve. I'm pretty sure I can do this with Nice curves, but I would appreciate a heads-up before buying.

Please let me know if you have time.

Kind regards

Chris
  • Hi Chris

I don't think NC will be able to do this very well - a normal distribution graph has a constant curvature, while NC is designed to round corners of straight-edged paths, so there are almost always regions of paths that NC makes which aren't curved. The attached file is a rough attempt which shows the shortcomings of NC for something like this.

I'm not an expert, but you'll probably get better results with an established tool like Matlab or Mathematica, which would give you much finer control over variables like mu and sigma, rather than have to fiddle about and guess them!

Cheers

Nick
    bell-curve.jpg
    1939 x 1099 - 375K