Slim Expression Controls
  • Hello there!

Is it possible to create a dropdown menu as an expression control? I know there is no such thing among regular expressions controls. The closest I got to this kind of behavior (choosing one thing from many available) was by using a bunch of checkboxes and expressions, but it's far from being perfect.

Thanks!
    We are limited by what is possible in After Effects. Once Adobe adds this we can support it.
  • Hello!! We are using your script and it helped us a lot, it's amazing :)

We have more than 40 Effects done and there will be more. We need to add more and constantly need to update them, fix some bugs, add sliders, colors or checkboxes here and there but that is becoming more and more difficult ;( I tried to edit PresetEffects.xml but it doesn't work and editing inside SlimExpressions is becoming tedious because there's no easy way to change the order of the controlers or resize the window. Can you help us with some of this?

Thank you!!!

Sebas ;)

We have more than 40 Effects done and there will be more. We need to add more and constantly need to update them, fix some bugs, add sliders, colors or checkboxes here and there but that is becoming more and more difficult ;( I tried to edit PresetEffects.xml but it doesn't work and editing inside SlimExpressions is becoming tedious because there's no easy way to change the order of the controlers or resize the window. Can you help us with some of this?

Thank you!!!

Sebas ;)
    Please open a support ticket for help with this.
  • Hello!

I just created a pseudo effect using a fair amount of groups and controls and then I hit Save Effect, so everything worked fine until I tried to add it to a selected layer, then I got this error:

After Effects error: Internal verification failure, sorry! {unexpected match name searched for in group } (29::0)

BTW I'm using AECC2014.

So, any ideas?  Thanks. :(
    SlimExp_error.jpg
    500 x 146 - 23K
  • Hello!

I just created a pseudo effect using a fair amount of groups and controls and then I hit Save Effect, so everything worked fine until I tried to add it to a selected layer, then I got this error:

After Effects error: Internal verification failure, sorry! {unexpected match name searched for in group } (29::0)

BTW I'm using AECC2014.

Please open a support ticket for help with this issue.
  • Hello, everyone. Ok, a couple of topics:
    • It would be super nice to have a source code input on the script UI panel, so you can create the pseudo effect that way apart from the regular GUI. I see many advantages on this, such as debugging or adding to the library previous existing pseudo effects not necessarily created with this script. Will it happen?
    • Where are the effects stored when you save them (I mean on the library, not the PresetEffects.xml file)? It also would be handy if you can backup or copy your library to another computers (i.e. at work and then at home) so you can keep working seamlessly. And if you happen to not have the script installed, you could still make changes on the code manually.

That's it for now. Thanks!

Thank you!!!

Sebas ;)
    You're absolutely right. Better editing/updating effects capabilities are needed, specially the easy order changing and creating new controllers anywhere before the bottom of the stack.
  • Thanks for the feature requests. We will keep them in mind for a future version.

• So without permissions, you can't really use this? I'm trying on my work machine, and whenever I save an effect I get the "Installation error can't create temp.xml" issue.
  • So without permissions, you can't really use this? I'm trying on my work machine, and whenever I save an effect I get the "Installation error can't create temp.xml" issue.
    Yes you definitely need permissions to install as you do with any software.
  • The problems with pseudo effects in CC2014 are being fixed in the new 13.1 release: http://adobe.ly/1ushKTn
  • I'm having a problem
    I'm using AE 12.2.1.5 on a Mac. When I try to save it says, "Installation Error: Can't create Temp.xml Try to restart AE Under Administrator account." I have tried two admin accounts and no help.
  • I'm having a problem
    I'm using AE 12.2.1.5 on a Mac. When I try to save it says, "Installation Error: Can't create Temp.xml Try to restart AE Under Administrator account." I have tried two admin accounts and no help.
    Please check the permissions on your account. If After Effects was installed by an admin account and you are using it on a user account is it common for the permissions to be such that AE is blocked from accessing common folders due to restrictive permission configuration even when accessing it as an admin if it is not the same that did the installation. I would consult your sysadmin for help.

• Hello!

BTW I'm using AECC2014.

I Have same problem with same version. I use the spanish version, May be the issue.
  • I Have same problem with same version. I use the spanish version, May be the issue.
    Make sure you do not have any foreign characters such as accents, umlauts, etc in any of your group or effect names. Also update to CC2014.1

• I have a question.  If I create an installer for an effect I created, and deploy it onto another system without Slim Expression Controls, I've noticed that the effect I made does not appear in the Effects & Presets tab.  My hope was to allow animators to drop the controls I created onto nulls on their own, however it seems like for this to work they would need to have Slim Expression Controls on their system, or I would have to provide a template file with a null that has the controls already applied.  Am I correct in this or am I missing a step somewhere?  

Also second question, if I have my users use Slim Expression Controls and I want them to have the same setup as mine, how do I deploy my controls to them.  I was able to get it to work by modifying the .jsx  (as it tells me it is unnecessary to install on version 12.(?) and up), I modified the installer so it doesn't do the version check and then I was able to get it to install and show up in Slim Expression Controls, but I was hoping there was a way to do this without modifying anything (maybe the settings are saved somewhere and I can just copy it over for them?).

Overall awesome tool, I set up a rig for some animation combining this tool and PuppetTools, and it's a wonderfully easy way to give my animators a lot of control!
  • I have a question.  If I create an installer for an effect I created, and deploy it onto another system without Slim Expression Controls, I've noticed that the effect I made does not appear in the Effects & Presets tab.  My hope was to allow animators to drop the controls I created onto nulls on their own, however it seems like for this to work they would need to have Slim Expression Controls on their system, or I would have to provide a template file with a null that has the controls already applied.  Am I correct in this or am I missing a step somewhere?  

Also second question, if I have my users use Slim Expression Controls and I want them to have the same setup as mine, how do I deploy my controls to them.  I was able to get it to work by modifying the .jsx  (as it tells me it is unnecessary to install on version 12.(?) and up), I modified the installer so it doesn't do the version check and then I was able to get it to install and show up in Slim Expression Controls, but I was hoping there was a way to do this without modifying anything (maybe the settings are saved somewhere and I can just copy it over for them?).

Overall awesome tool, I set up a rig for some animation combining this tool and PuppetTools, and it's a wonderfully easy way to give my animators a lot of control!
    I am sure you are aware that pseudo effects are not real effects which is why there are some differences in how they appear in AE.  In 12.1 Adobe built in some official support for pseudo effects that essentially stops them from being reported as missing which is why you no longer need to "install" them which was never really installing them just adding them to the presetEffect.xml file to avoid them being labeled as missing. If you need additional behavior you will need to request it from Adobe directly. You can do that here: http://adobe.com/go/wish
  • Make sure you do not have any foreign characters such as accents, umlauts, etc in any of your group or effect names. Also update to CC2014.1

Updated to After effects 2014.0.2  version 13.0.2.3.
    I've tried with empty project, blank composition, one null and added one pseudo with 2 sliders without renaming anything.
    Here is the video http://youtu.be/jOJwXdCnwfo

I'm with demo because I don't want to buy until plugin works, but I want to buy, please help to make it works.
  • Updated to After effects 2014.0.2  version 13.0.2.3.
    I've tried with empty project, blank composition, one null and added one pseudo with 2 sliders without renaming anything.
    Here is the video http://youtu.be/jOJwXdCnwfo
    I'm with demo because I don't want to buy until plugin works, but I want to buy, please help to make it works.
    You need to update to 2014.1 (13.1) which is when Adobe fixed this issue.
  • Hello,

Where is the "Remove My Pseudo Effect Script" ? I want to allow my clients to install and remove the effects if they need! When I run script again it says Pack already installed! Did you remove the button in the last update !?
  • So after making a lot of effects you cannot see the buttons down to create new effect I tried to re-size it undock it but it's not working !

Please help..
    screenshot.jpg
    981 x 1046 - 106K
  • I don't quite understand the 'no install needed' aspect of AE versions 12.1 and up. How do I give this pseudo-effect to someone else? The error message when opening the installer says 'just run and enjoy'... run what?

• So after making a lot of effects you cannot see the buttons down to create new effect I tried to re-size it undock it but it's not working !

Please help..
    Please open a support ticket for help with this issue
  • I don't quite understand the 'no install needed' aspect of AE versions 12.1 and up. How do I give this pseudo-effect to someone else? The error message when opening the installer says 'just run and enjoy'... run what?

Run the script once to create your effect. You no longer need to create an installer for 12.1 and up. If you are having a specific issue let us know.

Run the script once to create your effect. You no longer need to create an installer for 12.1 and up. If you are having a specific issue let us know.
    By 'script' I assume you mean SlimExpressionControls_v1.072.jsx? Which will create a pseudoeffect on my machine, but again, how do I give my pseudoeffect to someone else who does not have SlimExpressionControls, without an installer?

To clarify - I understand that projects made with the pseudo effect will now not show an error on other installs of AE, so in that sense an installer isn't necessary. But I have an pseudo effect (along with some expressions) that I think other people will find useful for creating their own projects, and suddenly I can't give it to them. I suppose this isn't an intended use case?
  • By 'script' I assume you mean SlimExpressionControls_v1.072.jsx? Which will create a pseudoeffect on my machine, but again, how do I give my pseudoeffect to someone else who does not have SlimExpressionControls, without an installer?

To clarify - I understand that projects made with the pseudo effect will now not show an error on other installs of AE, so in that sense an installer isn't necessary. But I have an pseudo effect (along with some expressions) that I think other people will find useful for creating their own projects, and suddenly I can't give it to them. I suppose this isn't an intended use case?
    You would give them a project file that has the pseudo effect in it.  This is the same process as before, the "installer" simply avoided the "missing effect" error by recording the pseudo effect in the xml file.  Pseudo effects as the name implies is not a real effect, it's just window dressing for other effects which happens in the project file not in an external file. Hope that makes more sense.
  • A 3D point control feature would be great, with the current version you have to create a slider for Z axis, which is kludgy...
  • This is no longer working with the latest version of after effects and there seams to be no tech support in this anymore! Until its fixed don't waste your money!
  • Is it just me - or does this script not work with AE CC2015?
  • NO it doesn't seem to work anymore with the current After Effects version.
  • This is full of bugs. It would be ok if it only worked, where to get my $40 back?
  • I PAID $47.99 FOR THIS BULLSHIT! Its full of bugs and it barely works.

Go buy "Flex Effector" from VideoHive ... its 22$!
  • Hi. Was hoping to get this plugin. But I see it is now discontinued. Any idea if this will be available again?