• Is it working properly with éà... (in french) or there is a variation in y like in every other text plugin ?
  • Is it working properly with éà... (in french) or there is a variation in y like in every other text plugin ?

Hey! It works perfectly fine with any characters.

You always have the option to set the height based on the Cap Height – ignoring all ascenders and descenders – or to set the height based on the Full Height of the text, including all accents, cedillas, etc.

You can also try the extension for free if you want to see for yourself :)

• Looks cool! Is this something you can use in templates/projects you deliver to someone? I mean only the .AEP/project file and the "Karton rig" in the project file, or whatever it's called. This would be really handy for projects where you know that client will be doing stuff with the .AEP later on. 

• Looks cool! Is this something you can use in templates/projects you deliver to someone? I mean only the .AEP/project file and the "Karton rig" in the project file, or whatever it's called. This would be really handy for projects where you know that client will be doing stuff with the .AEP later on. 

Yes! You can share the .aep file with anyone, and they can modify, animate, change the text, etc. Using Karton to create titles, lower thirds, or any other rigs sets up expressions so that other people who work with your file won’t need to install the extension.
  • Hello,

I have purchased the "Karton" plugin but it doesn't work for me. I select a text in my project and when I click on the Karton button it creates the layer, but nothing is visible. I have tried with several layers, with different fonts but it still does the same thing. It's as if the Karton layer that is created is empty. I'm using After Effects 2024.

Thanks

Hey Miguel, That’s strange! I’m not sure what’s causing the issue. It would be really helpful if you could open a support ticket at https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2394&direct=1 and send an .aep file containing the empty Karton layer. Thanks! Jakob
  • Hi there,
    the Box will not centered to the text. I create a Text, center the anchor and click on Karton button. The box is with a lot of space under the text.
    Best regards
    Markus
  • Hi there,
    the Box will not centered to the text. I create a Text, center the anchor and click on Karton button. The box is with a lot of space under the text.
    Best regards
    Markus
    Hey Markus. Have you updated Karton to v1.1.0? A lot of issues are fixed in the latest update.
    If that doesn’t help, please open a support ticket at https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2394&direct=1 and send an .aep file containing the issue. Hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    Jakob

• Thanks for fast answering and yes, after 1.1 i reached the next tier ;-)
    Without to test the cool tutorial stuff, i have now two other little issues: After klicking Karton the text jumps with the box most time a little bit to the left or right randomly. Also i get a white stroke for the text automatically.
    Greats from Berlin^^
    Markus
  • Thanks for fast answering and yes, after 1.1 i reached the next tier ;-)
    Without to test the cool tutorial stuff, i have now two other little issues: After klicking Karton the text jumps with the box most time a little bit to the left or right randomly. Also i get a white stroke for the text automatically.
    Greats from Berlin^^
    Markus
    Hey Markus. Great to hear that it solved the issue :) Please open a support ticket at https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=2394&direct=1 and send an .aep file containing the issue.
    Cheers,
    Jakob
  • Best text box tool out there, flexible and easy to use!!! This should be standard in AE. Only thing I'm missing is save/load presets.
  • I realise that 3D layers & Karton would have some issues and the only way is to use pre-comps if you want to have Karton in 3D. It would be cool though if there was a way to generate Karton for 3D layers in a way or another. 

I bought Karton because it can handle more than text and also it can handle multiple layers. Other similar tools usually can handle only text layers, which makes Karton superior. So highly recommend.
  • Bought today and testing around - Somehow I can't get the current time parameter to work with Animators in the text layer. Effects and mattes work, but not the standard write on typewriter preset from AE f.e. - 
    The notion site shows animate Text keyframes - is this an effect too?
    Also and more annoying - when I animate text with line breaks - the text sums after adding a karton.
    Ill upload an Ae file and open a ticket.

Otherwise the script looks fab, when everything is fixed this will be super useful.
  • Bought today and testing around - Somehow I can't get the current time parameter to work with Animators in the text layer. Effects and mattes work, but not the standard write on typewriter preset from AE f.e. - 
    Also and more annoying - when I animate text with line breaks - the text sums after adding a karton.

Otherwise the script looks fab, when everything is fixed this will be super useful.

Hi Franz, Thank you for your kind words! Regarding the typewriter preset in After Effects: By default, it uses the opacity property to animate the appearance of letters. However, this can cause issues because After Effects still calculates the full width of the letters even when they are invisible. To fix this, you can modify the text animator. Instead of animating the opacity, delete the “Opacity 0%” effect. Then, add a “Scale” effect and set the scale to 0%. This should solve the problem, allowing you to leave the “Measure at Time” property set to “Current Time.” I’ll review your ticket and get back to you shortly! Cheers, Jakob

Hi Franz, Thank you for your kind words! Regarding the typewriter preset in After Effects: By default, it uses the opacity property to animate the appearance of letters. However, this can cause issues because After Effects still calculates the full width of the letters even when they are invisible. To fix this, you can modify the text animator. Instead of animating the opacity, delete the “Opacity 0%” effect. Then, add a “Scale” effect and set the scale to 0%. This should solve the problem, allowing you to leave the “Measure at Time” property set to “Current Time.” I’ll review your ticket and get back to you shortly! Cheers, Jakob
    Thnx Jacob - as autocorrect destroyed my comment - the text doesn't "sums" it jumps a few pixels :)
  • I really like Karton, which is why I'm continuing my 3D bit a bit. Sorry for that! 

IMO perfect way to make Karton work in 3D and something that would at least technically be possible, is if there was a dropdown menu within Karton, where you would choose the "3D BASE LAYER / ORIGIN". Basically that ORIGIN layers Z position would become the origin of all other layers Z position from Karton's point of videw. Meaning that the Karton would be calculated based on every layers X & Y position, but the Z position would be calculated based on the chosen 3D BASE LAYER/ORIGIN's Z depth. This way Karton would react to all the 3D layers within that particular Karton and you could move all of those layers in Z axis as well, but Karton would not react to that. This way you could create Kartons where some layers are "floating above it" etc. The viewpoint of the camera can change in various ways relative to Karton, so this way would possibly be the only way that would make sense. Hopefully I was able to explain this 3D concept well enough. 

Anycase, enough said! Not expecting this kind of functionality and I'm happy camper with Karton at the moment so just throwing ideas. 

• I really like Karton, which is why I'm continuing my 3D bit a bit. Sorry for that! 

IMO perfect way to make Karton work in 3D and something that would at least technically be possible, is if there was a dropdown menu within Karton, where you would choose the "3D BASE LAYER / ORIGIN". Basically that ORIGIN layers Z position would become the origin of all other layers Z position from Karton's point of videw. Meaning that the Karton would be calculated based on every layers X & Y position, but the Z position would be calculated based on the chosen 3D BASE LAYER/ORIGIN's Z depth. This way Karton would react to all the 3D layers within that particular Karton and you could move all of those layers in Z axis as well, but Karton would not react to that. This way you could create Kartons where some layers are "floating above it" etc. The viewpoint of the camera can change in various ways relative to Karton, so this way would possibly be the only way that would make sense. Hopefully I was able to explain this 3D concept well enough. 

Anycase, enough said! Not expecting this kind of functionality and I'm happy camper with Karton at the moment so just throwing ideas. 

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback, Miika!
    Several users have requested 3D support, and I’m excited to share that 3D functionality has now been implemented in Karton. You can turn the layers to 3D, and everything should work perfectly.

I’ve also fixed the “jumping” issue when applying a Karton.

As for the functionality you’re describing, I’m not sure I fully understand it yet—could you elaborate a bit more? I really appreciate your enthusiasm and ideas!

Best,
    Jakob

Thnx Jacob - as autocorrect destroyed my comment - the text doesn't "sums" it jumps a few pixels :)
    Big Kudos to Jakob - The new version perfectly addresses this. Thank you so much for the best box script out there, by far!