• I am a bit confused about this script - I watched the video but I had a hard time to figure out, what kind of problem this tool would solve for me? Maybe you could add some usecases so a potential buyer can see what it's worth?
  • Hi Robert,

This is a really legitimate question since Hyle does not tackle a precise "problem" as the most scripts do. Hyle aims at giving you a way to interact with After Effects from a data-first perspective. This can be useful in many ways since it gives you the opportunity of bypassing the interface to avoid repetitive tasks. 

Let's say you have to make lower-thirds for 100 different names, you'd usually have to create 100 different text layers, precompose them and apply your effects/keyframes/etc. to each of them. Using Hyle would let you avoid this tedious task and paste those name in a text document and create them altogether quickly.

Not only does it help you create a lot of content but it also helps you share it. For example, you have this effects animation you like to use to create a specific visual or movement. Hyle would give you the opportunity to share it with a coworker by just sending him the textual data needed to create this specific effect.

These are just two ways that Hyle can improve your workflow but you can find some more information on Hyle.io, in the documentation and on this blog post.

As for the use cases, there will soon be a gallery of examples available on the website.
  • Thanks Sébastie,

I am looking forward seeing those examples soon - atm I am just lacking the imagination what to do with that tool. I can see the advantage with a lot of data, but seldom I had that to be the case for my jobs. Any automation I needed was either covered by existing scripts from this site or doing it manually wasn't that tedious as thought.

• Does Hyle have the ability create a script based on your project or comp? I already have a tonne of templates and animation presets set up so it would be nice if I didn't have to manually re-create these into script format.

Otherwise I think Hyle is a great idea...
  • I agree with Peter, it would be way more useful if you could generate the script from an existing project. I'm an animator, not a developer. I like to think in terms of keyframes, not text. However I could see the usefulness of this, but it could also take more time than it's worth if you have to write all of your animations in code. 

Also about your example with sharing with a coworker.. would the coworker also have to have Hyle installed? I feel like that would really limit your sharing if you could only share with people who own the plugin. 
  • This is such a fantastic idea.  I can't wait to try it out!  One problem: the "Try" button is failing.  Just me?

It kicks back "File does not exist. Make sure you specified correct file name."

• @Peter: This feature is coming soon. I wrote about it on the blog and explained a bit more what is coming. http://hyle.io/blog/can-hyle-generate-the-script-from-an-actual-projet

@Remington: About sharing with a coworker, yes your coworker would need to have the script as well. Like many other scripts or plugins (think Plexus, Element 3D) you need to have the script/plugin to be able to read the file.
  • @Robert: There will be some more videos showing real examples and the gallery should be released soon!
  • This is such a fantastic idea.  I can't wait to try it out!  One problem: the "Try" button is failing.  Just me?
    We just fixed the Trial download, please try again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Would there be a way where you can record a few things you do in the comp, and replay it on something else? Like you can when setting up Actions in Photoshop? 
  • Would there be a way where you can record a few things you do in the comp, and replay it on something else? Like you can when setting up Actions in Photoshop? 
    Not yet, but this feature is coming. Not exactly in a photoshop-actions-like way but more in a select what you want to be exported and press the "Generate" button. You can read more about what is coming on the website: http://hyle.io/blog/can-hyle-generate-the-script-from-an-actual-projet.
  • I think that Hyle would be a tremendous help for working with plugins like Newton 2, where you have to create many layers that will be animated by Newton
  • Will the generate feature on v2 be a separate purchase? or if I were to buy the plugin now, would it just be an update?
    I'm assuming the functionality of this script is to replicate the sharing of scripts I've heard from people who use nuke
    say to, share settings from someone's particular effect settings to your own layer
    or settings from keylight from one comp to another?
  • I think that Hyle would be a tremendous help for working with plugins like Newton 2, where you have to create many layers that will be animated by Newton
    Yes indeed! Refer to this section of the documentation to learn about layers: http://hyle.io/docs/layers and here http://hyle.io/docs/commands-list#layer
  • Will the generate feature on v2 be a separate purchase? or if I were to buy the plugin now, would it just be an update?
    I'm assuming the functionality of this script is to replicate the sharing of scripts I've heard from people who use nuke
    say to, share settings from someone's particular effect settings to your own layer
    This is a very good question. No, this will not be part of a separate purchase and the update will be completely free. Those of you who purchase Hyle now help me build and grow this product into something bigger and better. I wouldn't want to make you feel like you should've waited.

About the Nuke comparison, I've personally never used Nuke but as you describe it, I would say yes. There are many purposes to Hyle, one of them being sharing effects/settings/properties. 
    This is a very good question. No, this will not be part of a separate purchase and the update will be completely free. Those of you who purchase Hyle now help me build and grow this product into something bigger and better. I wouldn't want to make you feel like you should've waited.
    About the Nuke comparison, I've personally never used Nuke but as you describe it, I would say yes. There are many purposes to Hyle, one of them being sharing effects/settings/properties. 
    Thanks! yeah I've never used nuke either, but a friend of mine described that function of nuke to me and my mind was blown as to why AE can't do something like that. once Hyle is capable of saving settings for numerous plugins, that would totally speed up workflows in AE. like duplicating element 3d lighting and rigging setups to brand new comps.

or getting a team member to work out the settings for a particular effect and saving a library of effects that are reusable.
  • I am a bit confused about this script - I watched the video but I had a hard time to figure out, what kind of problem this tool would solve for me? Maybe you could add some usecases so a potential buyer can see what it's worth?
    I can tell you what i use it for.

I build a lot of new projects. Because it's monotonous and unnecessary to manually build out some folders and comps, i use it to automate my project.

so, basically there are several things I will have in all projects. I always have a few folders that i use by default for things, and I always star with a basic comps and a solid layer.

my old process is, have a folder for templates. i have several types depending on the kind of project I'm building. They all have certain folders, and all start with a solid comp, so by default, using hyle, I can set it to create a project from scratch and have everything i need to get started.

folders:
     images
     comps
     audio
     video
     supportive
     imports

layers
    base sold
    base text

Without hyle, i have to either have all those in a template, or every time i start a project i have to build them. With hyle, not only can I store simple text files as a library that will create these, I can change them on the fly, then use them to create projects in very specific ways.

I don't get into the heavy lifting the way I could, like parameters, text, effects etc. but I'd like to. However, I can take the basic text file and add in some project specific items, then simply start AE, load the modal and import the text file. instead of spending the first 20 minutes getting the basics set up, i have my project ready. And instead of picking through templates that almost work for what i'm doing, i can alter those defaults and add in project specific items.

for me, it's simply a time saver. but it can be used for so much more.

the other side, is once you're up and running with a project, let's say you decide to do something that will require one comp for a background, another for an effect like trapcode form, a text layer with specific parameters etc. Well, instead of spending all the time manually creating them, edit a text file and do the same work in less than half the time.

it's purely convenience to me, but very valuable for that.
  • Thanks for showing your workflow John.  It's great to see how other people use the tools and I think everyone benefits :)
  • Hey,

Would love to be able to use ft-toolbar for a bunch of Hyle text files.
    So could Hyle be run with a text file without "submitting" it thru Hyle.

I will ask François Tarlier as well about adding support for Hyle (basically adding Hyle to the options of Type).
    But I guess Hyle needs to be able to run headless then ;-) ;-)

Thanks,
    Tobias
  • Hey,

Would love to be able to use ft-toolbar for a bunch of Hyle text files.
    So could Hyle be run with a text file without "submitting" it thru Hyle.

I will ask François Tarlier as well about adding support for Hyle (basically adding Hyle to the options of Type).
    But I guess Hyle needs to be able to run headless then ;-) ;-)

Thanks,
    Tobias
    The suggestion was made previously and François and I have been talking about adding Hyle to the options as you mentioned. I am currently working on making Hyle “headless” as you stated to make this work without having to open Hyle panel first. This will most likely ship with next version, paving the road for the eventual (and awaited) “generate” feature. 

Thanks for the suggestion, and I will try to ship this as soon as possible!

Cheers,
    Sébastien
  • I'm trying use easing out and in on the position keyframes but its not working for me. Am I doing something wrong if I have an image scroll with easing?  Or is it not supported? Also, when can we expect the generate feature? Also, can we get the hyle text and source files which you used in the tutorial video so we can grasp the potential of Hyle's capability?

• I'm trying use easing out and in on the position keyframes but its not working for me. Am I doing something wrong if I have an image scroll with easing?  Or is it not supported? Also, when can we expect the generate feature? Also, can we get the hyle text and source files which you used in the tutorial video so we can grasp the potential of Hyle's capability?

Hi Usman, I will need a little bit more information on what code you have tried, since it should be supported. You can use http://hyle.io/paste to paste the code you use and paste the link here, so we can keep the right indentation. 

About the Generate feature, currently being developed, it should probably be out around august if all goes well.
  • This is a very impressive script!

Does it have
    the ability to create layers or nested layer comps that are offset?..
    similar to the functionality of the "Keyframe assistant / sequence
    layers"

I need to do this many, many times for most of my jpgs and audio files

Thanks
    Jeff
  • Hi Jeff!

Thank you and sorry for the delayed answer. 

Yes, you can offset the layers by using the in point or start time properties.

• Hi Sébastie,

Is there more news about the generate feature? Is it already implemented in the current version? If not, when will it be released?

Thanks,
    Pieter
  • How to save a script? Why do it that does not speak?
  • Hi Sébastie,

Is there more news about the generate feature? Is it already implemented in the current version? If not, when will it be released?

Thanks,
    Pieter
    Hi Pieter, yes, the script is now open source and the generate feature (alpha) is working. You can get it from the website : http://hyle.io.