malty: Closer
  • Cannot try it here but I will tomorrow.
    FINALLY THANK YOU! I got p*ssed off every time I had to close 50 comps when taking over a project. And they never have the same width because of the different comp-names so you can't keep on clicking on the same spot. Well, you know what I mean.

I will burn a candle for you :)

- j
  • Great this will be a huge help.

However, just tried it but it doesn't work :(

CS6 - had a new project, created 3 new comps, ran the script and it changed the focus of the comp i.e. switched to another open comp but didn't close the other open comps.

Any ideas?

Paul.

• Mac or windows?
  • But doesn't SHIFT-CTRL-W already do this? Always worked for me...OK - it closes all the active comps but no biggie..(I suppose shift-command-w on mac)
  • But doesn't SHIFT-CTRL-W already do this? Always worked for me...OK - it closes all the active comps but no biggie..(I suppose shift-command-w on mac)
    As explained in the tutorial - yes it does. ALT + CTRL + W closes all comp windows. When you don't have to many that's no biggie - true, but if you have a lot of them not having to look for the right one to open up again makes a huge difference. Not to mention the option to close all comps with exception of the active one and the ones nested in it. 
  • I'm afraid I'm having the exact same problem as Paul Gale described. (Windows 7, CS6)
  • Yes I'm on Windows 7 CS6 too.
  • Why oh why do you do this to me ExtendScript? Whyyyy? It's simple. Just close the frecking comp window. Please guys. Tell me you're using some freakish Chinese version of After Effects? :)
  • Just plain old English I'm afraid.

I'm in the UK but can't see that would make a difference.
  • We can setup a TeamViewer session. I'm curious what's wrong. I've checked everything again, just as I did before I published it. Looks fine. Send me a message on Facebook or look me up on Skype. We'll set it up.
  • english versions also (for AE and for Windows7) - i work in Belgium
  • Just find me on skype guys. My ID is: maltaannon. We'll find that's causing this. I've checked again. Should be working. No warning sings, no red flags, nothing. Hard to pinpoint what's causing this without looking into the machine itself. Call me. We'll schedule a TeamViewer session to solve this.
  • cannot use and/or install Skype at work I'm afraid - email or googletalk?
    if that works for you I'll send you a message on Facebook
  • Ok. Got it solved. Seems that Scripts don't like when the comp windows are undocked from the Main After Effects window (the one with the menu bar). If that is the case (for example you have your timelines undocked from the main window and placed on some other monitor) the script will not work. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to fix it. Scripting simply does not allow for it. Sorry.

The solution is to reorganize your workspace a bit, so that the timelines stay in the main After Effects window.
  • Ahaa! Thank you for investigating this :)
  • just confirmed that also happens in AE CC. Will see if it's worth swapping my windows around. I originally setup undocked panels on other monitors and didn't want one prog display across multiple monitor (for various reasons - including how windows handles these). Lot's of other options to explore though.
  • On the New AECC features page:

• Close Other Timeline Panels command is now available in the Timeline panel menu and the context menu.
    Didn't test it, but seems like your script is now obsolete ?
    Of course this is assuming the newly added command in AECC works with ft_toolbar.
  • True, but the added CC functionality does not close all comps except nested as my script does. On top of that, you have to have CC, with the script you don't :)
    • close all comps except nested as my script
    • you have to have CC

You're right, and now my comment looks really stupid !

Please delete it so I can die in peace !

Thanks for all of you scripts
  • The normal function is ok, but when I press the button with CTRL The function that close all the comps without the one with the nested others, on Mac not work with any key pressed, not also with the CTRL key!
    Mac OSX 10.6.8 AE CS6!
    If you want to review it!
    Thanks anyway ;)
  • Are you using the new ft-Toolbar 2? If you do than that is the problem. When I first developed the script it was working with ft-Toolbar 1. Version 2 has a small bug that prevents the CTRL key to go through. I've notified the developer about it and we're all waiting for the fix. 
  • Thanks Malty! Then I'll wait for the update of ft-Toolbar 2, but in the meanwhile i use it with the first ft-Toolbar!!! ;)
  • Does this work with ft-Toolbar 2 yet? Also, if using without ft-Toolbar 2 how do you close all but nested comps?
  • Yes, it does work with ft-Toolbar 2 and it always did, however there's a known issue with ft-Toolbar 2 in general, which is still not resolved, which is passing the pressed keys to the system. For some reason the CTRL key on Mac's does not get recognized (which is how Closer knows to close all but nested comps) and not even Adobe knows why. They've been notified about this issue and we (the script developers) are all waiting for some news on this issue.
  • Thanks Malty. I wish I could still get the original ft-toolbar, the closing all but nested comps would be handy
  • I wish I could help you with that, but I can't. You can contact the developer of ft-Toolbar via the Support Ticket and ask for the first version.
  • Since there is no news on a fix for this after 3 months, why don't you do the easy fix of changing your script to use the SHIFT key instead of the CTRL key to support the nested comp variation. If the bug only affects the CTRL key functionality, simply use another key!
  • Thanks Malty!
    But this script Adobe Creative Cloud 12.2.1 not compatible
    Please Check again!