• Is it possible to have the stroke's end in a butt cap rather than the round cap it currently has?  Or is that in the works?
  • Is it possible to have the stroke's end in a butt cap rather than the round cap it currently has?  Or is that in the works?
    Great question. 

At the moment, it's not a built-in feature; we're limited to the default Stroke effect. However, this has been a common request and we're looking into a way to implement. 

Temporary solution: you could add a solid square to the end (using the custom layer method in the tutorial) and adjust the size to match the stroke width, but it's far from ideal and may look rigid.  
  • Looks pretty cool, but does the path HAVE to be closed?
  • Looks pretty cool, but does the path HAVE to be closed?
    Definitely not. The path does not have to be closed.

Sorry for the confusion there. I realized later that I kept closing all of the paths in the demo video.
  • It appears the Easy Arrows "try" feature is down. Any idea how long it'll be down for?
  • It appears the Easy Arrows "try" feature is down. Any idea how long it'll be down for?
    It's fixed now, please try again!
  • really amazing script I bought it , 

is it possible to make the line dashes instead of dots ?!
  • really amazing script I bought it , 

Awesome, glad you're enjoying it. Unfortunately, we're limited to what's included with the default Stroke effect at the moment. We're looking into the ability to use Shape Layers instead, which would allow for easily adding dashes. Thanks for your patience!
  • I tried it out—seems to break beyond 1920x1080. Is this a known issue? Thank you!
  • I ran into an issue where I created an arrow using the script. 
    Then, once I duplicated everything to have a copy of it further down in the timeline the original arrow path I created disappeared.  
    It didn't seem to like it when I tried to make a copy.  Just wanted to make this known for future releases.
    Thanks
  • I tried it out—seems to break beyond 1920x1080. Is this a known issue? Thank you!
    Not a known issue, but I will look into this right away. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  • I ran into an issue where I created an arrow using the script. 
    Then, once I duplicated everything to have a copy of it further down in the timeline the original arrow path I created disappeared.  
    It didn't seem to like it when I tried to make a copy.  Just wanted to make this known for future releases.
    Thanks
    We tried to make this a feature, but had issues with calling the correct layers when duplicated. What you can do, is pre-compose an arrow setup and create several copies that way, then adjust the mask paths and use the 'Update Arrow' button on the script.
  • Hello, got a silly question. I already activated my license, if I have to re-install After Affects, will my license still work? I was planning to get a new solid drive sometime soon... Thanks!
  • Hello, got a silly question. I already activated my license, if I have to re-install After Affects, will my license still work? I was planning to get a new solid drive sometime soon... Thanks!
    Yes, your license should still work. If you need any assistance please open a support ticket.
    Mark, I have been unable to recreate this issue; we have the script working in 2k and 4k resolutions. Are you still having a problem?
  • I'm just testing out the trial I wanted to have a large stroke in 3D space followed by a camera, so my mask solid layer is very large the mask sits off screen for the camera to follow as it draws out, the camera comp is 1920 x 1080. When I try and create an arrow this big I get the following error.

'Your mask layer must be the same size as your compositon'

Is it not possible for the arrow to follow a long complex path with a camera layer?
  • I'm just testing out the trial I wanted to have a large stroke in 3D space followed by a camera, so my mask solid layer is very large the mask sits off screen for the camera to follow as it draws out, the camera comp is 1920 x 1080. When I try and create an arrow this big I get the following error.

Is it not possible for the arrow to follow a long complex path with a camera layer?
    Hi Stephen. Sorry you're having trouble achieving that effect. At the moment, I do not believe it's easily possible; we haven't tested use in conjunction with cameras. Yes, the script is limited to being run on a solid that is the same size as the composition, but it would be possible to create a very large pre-composition for the Easy Arrow and perhaps, with that imported into your main composition, could be converted into a 3D layer and followed with a camera?
  • Hi. I'm having a problem looping. I am keyframing at 0% Easy Arrow Completion and again at 100 to start and the animation and then duplicating those keyframes and changing the first keyframe from then on to 1%. This loops just fine but when I precomp it and have it nested 2 comps down the animation jumps at the loop point. It seems to jumps from 0% to 40ish% and back to 0. Any ideas why this might be and how to fix it? Thanks.
  • Hi. I'm having a problem looping. I am keyframing at 0% Easy Arrow Completion and again at 100 to start and the animation and then duplicating those keyframes and changing the first keyframe from then on to 1%. This loops just fine but when I precomp it and have it nested 2 comps down the animation jumps at the loop point. It seems to jumps from 0% to 40ish% and back to 0. Any ideas why this might be and how to fix it? Thanks.
    Thanks for the note. We'll look into this!
  • Thanks. While you're looking in to that maybe you could also look into why I can't copy a layer with mask from another comp and have easy arrows work on that? I bought this plugin to save time and so far it's been a real headache even with very simple tasks.
  • Thanks. While you're looking in to that maybe you could also look into why I can't copy a layer with mask from another comp and have easy arrows work on that? I bought this plugin to save time and so far it's been a real headache even with very simple tasks.
    Absolutely! Sorry to hear you're having that issue. We'll look into it right away. We're developing an update as we speak, and will work to include these fixes too, if possible. 

For clarification: Are you trying to copy layers with, masks already drawn, then applying Easy Arrows? Or are you copying masks, applying to a new layer, then applying Easy Arrows? As long as the layer is the same size as the composition, it should be working properly.
  • Great stuff. Looking forward to the update as this could be a very handy tool.

I was copying a layer and mask (no EA applied) from one comp to another (same size) and trying to apply EA. It would only work if I made the new layer and mask in the new comp. I didn't try only copying the mask. 
  • For some reason, Easy Arrows isn't working on any mask that isn't closed. It works every time I close the path. Can you tell me what I could possibly be doing wrong? Thanks!
  • For some reason, Easy Arrows isn't working on any mask that isn't closed. It works every time I close the path. Can you tell me what I could possibly be doing wrong? Thanks!
    Haven't been able to recreate this issue. The script should work without closing paths. What version of After Effects are you using? What are your composition settings? Are you working inside of an existing project or starting from scratch?
  • Hi Adrian,

Just purchased Easy Arrows, and was wondering if it's possible to use it to create a 'growing arrow', not one that just moves along a path, but seems to grow in length along that path. Basically, I'm animation a flowchart, with the typical arrows joining the elements on the chart. I'd like to have the arrows grow from one flowchart element to the next. I've figured out that I can use a mask to initially hide an arrow of the correct length that I'll need, and have it move along it's path revealing the arrow from under the mask as it moves to the next element.

Seems like there ought to be a way to accomplish this without using masks to hide the arrows.
  • Hi Adrian,

Just purchased Easy Arrows, and was wondering if it's possible to use it to create a 'growing arrow', not one that just moves along a path, but seems to grow in length along that path. Basically, I'm animation a flowchart, with the typical arrows joining the elements on the chart. I'd like to have the arrows grow from one flowchart element to the next. I've figured out that I can use a mask to initially hide an arrow of the correct length that I'll need, and have it move along it's path revealing the arrow from under the mask as it moves to the next element.

Seems like there ought to be a way to accomplish this without using masks to hide the arrows.
    Hi Steven,

I think I understand what you're saying: Requesting that the starting point has a fixed position and the arrowhead reveals the path as it moves forward? We don't have that feature built in, yet, but will look into implementing. Thank you for the comment. :-)
  • Hi Adrian

I am having a problem where I have a very angular path and the arrow head it's starting to turn before the stroke and finishing the turn after the stroke, as if the arrow head was following a path with the corners rounded but my path has angular changes of direction only, problem is this behaviour is creating a gap between the arrow head and the path stroke on the changes of direction.
  • Hi Adrian

I am having a problem where I have a very angular path and the arrow head it's starting to turn before the stroke and finishing the turn after the stroke, as if the arrow head was following a path with the corners rounded but my path has angular changes of direction only, problem is this behaviour is creating a gap between the arrow head and the path stroke on the changes of direction.
    Thanks for the feedback, Nauh. Looking into this.
    Yes, the latest version now uses Shape Layer paths, which gives you control over the end caps!
    really amazing script I bought it , 

Yes! The latest version now uses Shape Layer paths, which gives you more control over the stroke style. :-)
    I'm just testing out the trial I wanted to have a large stroke in 3D space followed by a camera, so my mask solid layer is very large the mask sits off screen for the camera to follow as it draws out, the camera comp is 1920 x 1080. When I try and create an arrow this big I get the following error.

Great stuff. Looking forward to the update as this could be a very handy tool.

I was copying a layer and mask (no EA applied) from one comp to another (same size) and trying to apply EA. It would only work if I made the new layer and mask in the new comp. I didn't try only copying the mask. 
    Both of these issues have been addressed in the latest version. Please let me know if you still have issues!
  • Nothing happens when i hit the create easy arrow button when using a shape layer. It only works with solids and masks. Really annoytng.
  • Nothing happens when i hit the create easy arrow button when using a shape layer. It only works with solids and masks. Really annoytng.
    Sounds like you are using an older version. Please install the latest version and Shape Layer paths will work properly.
  • If anyone would like to help beta test the next Easy Arrows update, feel free to contact me: [email protected]. We're working hard to bring the full potential of this script to life!
  • Can’t seem to get any of your interesting looking animation presets to work. When I try to click on one, like “Marquee Chasers” I get: “After Effects warning: Bad argument. Couldn’t find effect “easy arrow completion.” Expression disabled.

Error occurred at line 6
    Comp: Comp 1
    Layer: 1 (‘Arrow Head 1’)
    Property: Position

And then when I click “OK” in the error message box I get a crazy looking mess on the screen. What do I need to be doing to take advantage of some of your presets?

Cheers
  • Can’t seem to get any of your interesting looking animation presets to work. When I try to click on one, like “Marquee Chasers” I get: “After Effects warning: Bad argument. Couldn’t find effect “easy arrow completion.” Expression disabled.

Error occurred at line 6
    Comp: Comp 1
    Layer: 1 (‘Arrow Head 1’)
    Property: Position

And then when I click “OK” in the error message box I get a crazy looking mess on the screen. What do I need to be doing to take advantage of some of your presets?

Cheers
    Hi John, I'm not sure what you are talking about... we haven't developed any presets for Easy Arrows (yet). Perhaps you're mixing with a different script?
  • Perhaps… how could something like that happen? 
  • Perhaps… how could something like that happen? 
    Not sure. Could you show me a screenshot of what you're looking at?
  • Just bought this. Ran it on a shape layer path (converted from Illustrator layer) and I got an error message about "Mask layer must be same size as composition"  What does a mask layer have to do with anything? It's not mentioned anywhere in the documentation. CC2014.2 here.
  • Just bought this. Ran it on a shape layer path (converted from Illustrator layer) and I got an error message about "Mask layer must be same size as composition"  What does a mask layer have to do with anything? It's not mentioned anywhere in the documentation. CC2014.2 here.
    Hi Navarro, that is an error message from a legacy version of the script. We will have to look into this issue. Do all converted paths from Illustrator give the same error? Thanks for the feedback.
    Hi Navarro, that is an error message from a legacy version of the script. We will have to look into this issue. Do all converted paths from Illustrator give the same error? Thanks for the feedback.

This morning, I tried again by making a new shape layer and added a path and drew a simple stroked line. And I still got the error. I can't make this script work at all! Really frustrating! >:(

This morning, I tried again by making a new shape layer and added a path and drew a simple stroked line. And I still got the error. I can't make this script work at all! Really frustrating! >:(
    Sorry to hear that. A few questions:
    • Are you using the latest version? 1.2 was uploaded today.
    • What operating system are you on?
    • What version of After Effects?
    • Are you making changes to a project file that used a previous version of the script? That may cause issues. It's best to wait and use new versions of the script on new projects.

Please check that your Shape Layer:
    1. Is not parented to another layer
    2. Has its transform reset
    3. The Anchor Point is [0, 0]
    4. If there is a Transform Group within the Shape Layer, then it's Anchor Point and Position must be [0, 0]")

Please check that your Shape Layer:
    1. Is not parented to another layer
    2. Has its transform reset
    3. The Anchor Point is [0, 0]
    4. If there is a Transform Group within the Shape Layer, then it's Anchor Point and Position must be [0, 0]")

Yes, I have checked all that. Now when I press Create Arrow, I get a solid layer with a triangle mask. And there's locked null that says "do not edit". Also a collection of expressions. But there are no expressions on any layer. Would really appreciate some sample projects to see how this is supposed to work (and I could copy/paste expressions where they are missing)
  • Navarro, 

Attached is a sample project file (CC15) that I just put together. If you answer the questions below, we can run tests and figure out a solution to the problem you're experiencing.
    • Are you using the latest version? 1.2 was uploaded last week.
    • Are you making changes to a project file that used a previous version of the script? That may cause issues. It's best to wait and use new versions of the script on new projects.
    aep
    aep
    Easy Arrows Sample Project.aep
  • Hi Adrian!

Looks like 1.2 did the trick. It's now working as expected. To answer your other questions, I'm on OS X 10.10.3 and AE CC2014.2. And this was a new project.
    Navarro, 

Attached is a sample project file (CC15) that I just put together. If you answer the questions below, we can run tests and figure out a solution to the problem you're experiencing.

• Hi Adrian!

Looks like 1.2 did the trick. It's now working as expected. To answer your other questions, I'm on OS X 10.10.3 and AE CC2014.2. And this was a new project.
    Navarro, 

Awesome! Glad to hear it. :-)
  • How do I change the color of the arrowhead? In the previous version the color was defined by the solid color the mask was drawn on.
    I need a deep orange arrow. I can change the line color but the arrow head doesn't change. I also tried to use an arrowhead made in Illustrator but it does not keep centered on the line throughout the animation. A bug...? Thanks, Martin.
  • How do I change the color of the arrowhead? In the previous version the color was defined by the solid color the mask was drawn on.
    I need a deep orange arrow. I can change the line color but the arrow head doesn't change. I also tried to use an arrowhead made in Illustrator but it does not keep centered on the line throughout the animation. A bug...? Thanks, Martin.
    Hi Martin, the arrow head color can be changed by simply updating the solid settings. Or, you could also use the Generate > Fill effect on the layer. When using a custom layer, you need to adjust the anchor point before executing the script. The anchor point is where it will be attached to the stroke; if it's slightly off center it will look as though it's not aligned properly. With custom layers, you also need to manually set the rotation to face it in the right direction.
    Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 2.12.30 PM.png
    2000 x 1095 - 399K
  • I've been using this more and more lately, and it's a really nice addon.  However, and this may in part be to After Effects and not this utility, but lately when I make a closed path (shape), it seems to be arbitrarily picking a point to make the 1st point, even if it's not the first point I drew.  So on a closed shape, after applying Easy Arrow, it starts at the wrong point.  Is there a way to change the 1st point so Easy Arrow will actually start where I want it too?  Or maybe let the use select a point when applying the script?
  • I've been using this more and more lately, and it's a really nice addon.  However, and this may in part be to After Effects and not this utility, but lately when I make a closed path (shape), it seems to be arbitrarily picking a point to make the 1st point, even if it's not the first point I drew.  So on a closed shape, after applying Easy Arrow, it starts at the wrong point.  Is there a way to change the 1st point so Easy Arrow will actually start where I want it too?  Or maybe let the use select a point when applying the script?
    Thanks for the comment, Joe. We'll look into this right away!
  • I'm thinking of purchasing this script. I searched but can't be sure. Will this work with a Repeater on the shape layer and will it repeat the arrow head as well?