• Hi Adrian,

Nice script.  Thanks for all the personal support in the forum.  I just purchased it.  So... I guess that means I have the latest version.  Trying to discern from one of your answers above if the latest version indeed supports converting the shape path layer to 3D and having the arrowhead follow, so a camera can be used.  Right now, I'm playing with that, and it's not working.  The arrow head becomes separated from the shape layer in 3D space.  Clicking Update Arrow has no effect.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

• Sorry, one more question.  Got a situation where client really wants to add text to the arrow body.  Scratching my head trying to figure out how to do that.  I guess I can do a path text effect and just sync it to the arrow's motion.  Unless you know of a simpler way.

Robert
  • I'm thinking of purchasing this script. I searched but can't be sure. Will this work with a Repeater on the shape layer and will it repeat the arrow head as well?
    Hi Chad, unfortunately it doesn't work with the Repeater because the arrowhead is generated as a separate layer with effect controls applied.

• Hi Adrian,

Nice script.  Thanks for all the personal support in the forum.  I just purchased it.  So... I guess that means I have the latest version.  Trying to discern from one of your answers above if the latest version indeed supports converting the shape path layer to 3D and having the arrowhead follow, so a camera can be used.  Right now, I'm playing with that, and it's not working.  The arrow head becomes separated from the shape layer in 3D space.  Clicking Update Arrow has no effect.

Thanks for any help.

Robert
    Sorry for any confusion, the script doesn't officially support 3D, but I was trying to say that a potential solution could be: create a large PreComp to lock the the animated Arrow Head and Stroke together, then enable 3D and do a camera move over that PreComp.

Sorry, one more question.  Got a situation where client really wants to add text to the arrow body.  Scratching my head trying to figure out how to do that.  I guess I can do a path text effect and just sync it to the arrow's motion.  Unless you know of a simpler way.

Robert
    Do you mean placing text on the Arrow Head or the Stroke? You can easily PreComp the Arrow Head and do whatever you want to it without breaking the script.
  • Hi Adrian,

I can't get it working correctly. If I create an arrow with that script and the arrow head is most of the time not correctly aligned to the arrow line. Moveing along the timeline a gap appears then the head moves too far to the left, later it's following behind, etc. I tried your sample project file and everything seems to work fine. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

best,
    Tony
  • Hi Adrian,

I can't get it working correctly. If I create an arrow with that script and the arrow head is most of the time not correctly aligned to the arrow line. Moveing along the timeline a gap appears then the head moves too far to the left, later it's following behind, etc. I tried your sample project file and everything seems to work fine. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

best,
    Tony
    Hi Tony, if you're using a custom arrow, it sounds like you haven't set the anchor point properly before running the script. The script attaches custom layers to the shape layer path by it's anchor point position. Or, are you using the default arrow and getting those results? If so, please provide the project file and I'll take a look.
  • Hi Adrian,
    Is it possible to include the Dashes to the controls panel ? that's will save us a lot of time 
  • Hi Adrian,

I want to use this script and tried the trial version on my CC 2015 AE. Like Tony, the arrow head is most of the time not correctly aliged to the arrow line.
    I am using the default arrow and getting those results? Can you think of anything wrong?

Best regards,
    Chin
  • Hi Adrian,

I want to use this script and tried the trial version on my CC 2015 AE. Like Tony, the arrow head is most of the time not correctly aliged to the arrow line.
    I am using the default arrow and getting those results? Can you think of anything wrong?

Best regards,
    Chin
    Are you following the same steps in the tutorial and getting this result? If so, please upload your project file and I'll take a look.

Make sure you haven't adjusted the anchor point of the default arrow, that's where misalignment happens. Precomping with continuous raster and 3D layers could cause problems.
  • Hi Adrian,
    Is it possible to include the Dashes to the controls panel ? that's will save us a lot of time 
    Thanks for this idea. It's not something we were actively working on, but we'll consider it for the next update. Cheers!
  • Hi Adrian,

Yes,I'm following the same steps and getting this results.I have never adjusted the anchor point of the default arrow.
    How can upload the file here?

Best regards,
    Chin
  • Hi Adrian,

Yes,I'm following the same steps and getting this results.I have never adjusted the anchor point of the default arrow.
    How can upload the file here?

Best regards,
    Chin
    Below the comment box there is a link that says "Attach a file". Please try that. Thanks!
  • Hi Adrian,

I tried on English version of AE CC 2015. It worked.
    But it does not align on my Japanese version of it.
    Do you think that your script only works on the English AE?

Best regards,

• Hi Adrian,

I tried on English version of AE CC 2015. It worked.
    But it does not align on my Japanese version of it.
    Do you think that your script only works on the English AE?

Best regards,

That's a great question! We haven't tested it on different language versions of After Effects. We'll look into this right away.
  • Hi Adrian,

Thanks. 
    Switching between 2 difference language versions can be very time-consuming job.
    I hope you can come up with some solution to it.

Best regards,
    Chin
  • Hi

Like the script - but a couple of suggestions to enhance workflow and usability.
    1. Would be great if you could pre-comp the arrows. At the moment if you pre-comp you break the expressions. In fact if each arrow was automatically created in a pre-comp with the same timing of your original path layer that would help :) or at least an option to do that. In a large comp the inability to pre-comp makes it messy fast. Also I like the idea of revealing text with these arrows but currently you can't create a duplicate track matte because it would have to be a pre-comp of the entire arrow move.
    2. Colour of arrow head does not automatically match path you create (funny I thought it did from the video?) - Anyway this would be a time saver. Alternatively include a colour option that changes both the path and arrowhead (more elegant)
    3. Probably more complex but would be great if the script dynamically updated if you modify path after creating.
    4. Include an arrow head size option in the box.
    5. Allow multiple objects to be attached to head of path - eg an arrowhead and a text layer? Not sure if you could do this already just by parenting?

thanks

John
  • Hi

Like the script - but a couple of suggestions to enhance workflow and usability.
    1. Would be great if you could pre-comp the arrows. At the moment if you pre-comp you break the expressions. In fact if each arrow was automatically created in a pre-comp with the same timing of your original path layer that would help :) or at least an option to do that. In a large comp the inability to pre-comp makes it messy fast. Also I like the idea of revealing text with these arrows but currently you can't create a duplicate track matte because it would have to be a pre-comp of the entire arrow move.
    2. Colour of arrow head does not automatically match path you create (funny I thought it did from the video?) - Anyway this would be a time saver. Alternatively include a colour option that changes both the path and arrowhead (more elegant)
    3. Probably more complex but would be great if the script dynamically updated if you modify path after creating.
    4. Include an arrow head size option in the box.
    5. Allow multiple objects to be attached to head of path - eg an arrowhead and a text layer? Not sure if you could do this already just by parenting?

thanks

John

Hi John, 

Thank you for this valuable feedback! I've noted them for consideration in the next version.

1.) Precomping does work, you just have to "unlock" the expression layer and include it in the Precomp. I know it's not ideal, but we didn't want people to make accidental edits to the expression layer. I really like your idea of including a checkbox for creating the Easy Arrow into a Precomp. NICE!

2.) You are correct. What I meant in the video is that the layer's color on the timeline will match for easy visual organization. Great idea on allowing an easy color change from the Script UI.

3.) You're right, it would be complex but it's a nice idea.

4.) Another good idea.

5.) I believe you can accomplish this by parenting to the arrowhead layers. We'll look into that.

Thanks again for your detailed notes, John. I really appreciate it. :-)

Cheers, 
    Adrian
  • hi Adrian,
    I'm having an issue in that the arrow head seems to be offset from the path. If I move it to locate it on the path it moves off the path as the completion slider changes. 

It's not just that the arrow is ahead of the line - it's off to the side of the path or below the path. 

Seems like I'm doing something seriously wrong but I can't figure out what. 

I'm on a Mac running 10.9.5.

AE CC 2014.2  release, version 13.2.0.49

• nevermind. I was in a comp using non-square pixels.
  • nevermind. I was in a comp using non-square pixels.
    Nice, glad it's working properly now. The only other time that should happen is if you're using a custom arrowhead and didn't set the anchor point before running the script. Enjoy!
  • Hello, I think this is an After Effects issue and not necessarily an Easy Arrows script issue, but I thought I would ask here anyway. I bought this script several months ago and it worked perfectly. Since then, my IT department has rolled out global policies that don't allow .exe files to write to the Temp folder as in done in Easy Arrows. Is there a way to point the script to another folder where I would have permissions to write to when I run the script, IE another internal drive?

I bet I would run into the same error with any script that tries to write to the Temp folder.
  • Just a comment that: not being able to duplicate paths/arrows and then adjust is rather painful. I hope you address this in the future. Rubber hose does something similar and is able to it done.
  • Thanks for the comment, Erica. That is something we tried to accomplish while developing but it caused many errors. We'll look into it again. The easiest way to duplicate arrow paths at the moment is to pre-comp all of the Easy Arrows files and then duplicate that.
  • Whenever I try a custom arrow, the effects controls do not appear?
  • Andre Ash said:
    Whenever I try a custom arrow, the effects controls do not appear?
    Please review the steps in this tutorial (at 4:44) for use with custom objects. If you're still having trouble, please open a support ticket and I'll be happy to assist further.
  • Running the trial version and I can't seem to get a tail to my arrow. The head is there, it follows the path but no tail. Is that an attribute of the trial version or am I doing something wrong?
  • Running the trial version and I can't seem to get a tail to my arrow. The head is there, it follows the path but no tail. Is that an attribute of the trial version or am I doing something wrong?
    Hi Patrick, you are correct, the trial version limits the use of tails.
  • Hi. When using the ellipse tool path, the arrow head is on a different path than my line... Its offset and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions? I am using square pixels.
  • Hi. When using the ellipse tool path, the arrow head is on a different path than my line... Its offset and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions? I am using square pixels.
    Hi Jake, unfortunately Easy Arrows does not work with the built-in shapes (ellipse, rectangle, star, etc.). A path must be drawn with the pen tool.
  • Shape layers you're using with this script CAN'T BE PARENTED?? What if you need some global movement with the shapes you're using? That I can't attach shapes that I'm using to a Null to move them around makes this script extremely limiting. I wish there was a big bold disclaimer in the description of this product because I never would have purchased it to begin with. Currently have a ticket submitted for a refund... :(
  • Shape layers you're using with this script CAN'T BE PARENTED?? What if you need some global movement with the shapes you're using? That I can't attach shapes that I'm using to a Null to move them around makes this script extremely limiting. I wish there was a big bold disclaimer in the description of this product because I never would have purchased it to begin with. Currently have a ticket submitted for a refund... :(
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. This is the first time we've heard of this being an issue. If you precompose the Easy Arrows setup, you can still move all the layers globally, but the stroke will move with it. 

If flexibility of the path is the most important for you, I'd recommend trying our other script called Speed Lines (https://aescripts.com/speed-lines/) which adds Shape Layer paths to an animation path. That script includes parenting & expression support.

We'll explore the possibility of bringing this feature to Easy Arrows as well. Thanks for your comment.
  • OK, this is a great script. Really great. It can save you hours of tedious work. But this post isn't about the script. I had updated to the latest version, 1.4, and there was a problem with it - on a Saturday. I posted a Trouble Ticket, then went about my day, thinking that I'd probably get a reply on Monday. I was wrong. I got a reply in just a few minutes, and they worked on the issue until that night after I'd gone to bed. I awoke Sunday morning to find that they had sent me an updated version of the script which solved the issue.

This level of support is rare these days, and I just wanted to make note of it.
  • OK, this is a great script. Really great. It can save you hours of tedious work. But this post isn't about the script. I had updated to the latest version, 1.4, and there was a problem with it - on a Saturday. I posted a Trouble Ticket, then went about my day, thinking that I'd probably get a reply on Monday. I was wrong. I got a reply in just a few minutes, and they worked on the issue until that night after I'd gone to bed. I awoke Sunday morning to find that they had sent me an updated version of the script which solved the issue.

This level of support is rare these days, and I just wanted to make note of it.
    Steven, thank you so much for the kind words! I'm glad we could resolve your issue. :-) v1.4.1 is now available to everyone.
  • I really appreciate this contribution to the animation community, and with a few modifications this would be a golden egg. Everyone needs this script and would pay good money for it, but it's just too finicky to be production-ready right now. If you want this to become a part of every motion designer's toolkit, here's what I think it needs in order of importance:

-Users shouldn't have to zero transformations and not have parents to use the script. Sometimes that's no easy task with complicated artwork. Eliminating the need for the dialog box of things you mustn't do before the effect is applied should be top priority.

-Include a slider control effect for arrowhead size instead of having to scale the arrowhead layer.

-Allow keyframes on path's "path" property.

-Standardize effect control names. We are familiar with Start, End, and Offset. Not End, Completion, and Length. There would be no need for "Enable End" with offset.

-Make the default color the same color as the path stroke that you had selected when you apply the effect.

-Ability to select custom arrow layer within the effect instead of selecting layer when effect is applied.

-Maybe as a checkbox, arrowhead appears only when "Easy Arrow Completion" > "Easy Arrow End"

-Arrowhead length slider (longer/shorter triangle) would be a nice touch.

Thanks, hope you do well with this!

• I really appreciate this contribution to the animation community, and with a few modifications this would be a golden egg. Everyone needs this script and would pay good money for it, but it's just too finicky to be production-ready right now. If you want this to become a part of every motion designer's toolkit, here's what I think it needs in order of importance:

-Users shouldn't have to zero transformations and not have parents to use the script. Sometimes that's no easy task with complicated artwork. Eliminating the need for the dialog box of things you mustn't do before the effect is applied should be top priority.

-Include a slider control effect for arrowhead size instead of having to scale the arrowhead layer.

-Allow keyframes on path's "path" property.

-Standardize effect control names. We are familiar with Start, End, and Offset. Not End, Completion, and Length. There would be no need for "Enable End" with offset.

-Make the default color the same color as the path stroke that you had selected when you apply the effect.

-Ability to select custom arrow layer within the effect instead of selecting layer when effect is applied.

-Maybe as a checkbox, arrowhead appears only when "Easy Arrow Completion" > "Easy Arrow End"

-Arrowhead length slider (longer/shorter triangle) would be a nice touch.

Thanks, hope you do well with this!

Much appreciated, Jarratt. This is very valuable feedback. Thanks!
  • I purchased this product back on 18/02/2016 but I haven't got a saved version of my license code.
    Payment ID: 6470
    Receipt ID: dce61f15b60cb99eb9154cdf852f4bee

Can you resupply the license code please?
  • I purchased this product back on 18/02/2016 but I haven't got a saved version of my license code.
    Payment ID: 6470
    Receipt ID: dce61f15b60cb99eb9154cdf852f4bee

Can you resupply the license code please?
    Could you open a ticket, please? I'll need AE Scripts support to provide that to you. Thanks!
  • I downloaded the trial version to see if it would work for my current project.  I want to apply a glow effect to the arrows but when I do it causes After Effects to crash when trying to play the comp.  I saved the file with the glow effect applied and now the file crashes upon opening.
  • Was I hallucinating or did I see that you can make dashed lines?
  • Was I hallucinating or did I see that you can make dashed lines?
    Yes, you can! Using the built-in Shape Layers dashes.

• hi, just downloaded this as I need an arrow to follow a circle path continuously, but at the moment it only completes one cycle. Am I missing something?
  • mm mm said:
    hi, just downloaded this as I need an arrow to follow a circle path continuously, but at the moment it only completes one cycle. Am I missing something?
    Looping is a bit trickier; you're going to have to fake it by putting a finished animation into a precomp and then start the new precomp as the first one finishes. Sorry, we struggled to find a way to integrate that into the script!
  • also the arrow head doesnt sit flush with the stroke as soon as I scale the arrow down
  • mm mm said:
    also the arrow head doesnt sit flush with the stroke as soon as I scale the arrow down
    Would be happy to investigate this. Can you open a support ticket? Then if you could provide a screenshot of what's happening, that would also be very helpful. :-)
  • This is a very handy tool but is sorely in need of a button or something to duplicate arrows! Or is there something I'm missing?
  • This is a very handy tool but is sorely in need of a button or something to duplicate arrows! Or is there something I'm missing?
    Hey Alex, I totally agree. This is something we tried to add from the beginning, but the expressions we had to use were giving us a lot of trouble. For this reason, we added the "Precomp" option on the Script UI Panel. This lets you easily precomp all of the Easy Arrows layers (even after the script has run, by using the 'Update' button) so that you can easily duplicate that precomp and make edits to an existing setup. Hope that helps!
  • Hi there.
    Is there any way to change default arrow setting?
    I want to set the default setting of "Easy Arrow Length" as 100.00.
  • Hi there.
    Is there any way to change default arrow setting?
    I want to set the default setting of "Easy Arrow Length" as 100.00.
    Sorry, not at the moment, but I've noted that request for a future update! Thanks.
  • Ack! Is Easy Arrows broken for AE CC 2018?? Seems as though the stroke isn't showing up. Am I crazy? Compatibility tab indicates it's not updated from last year :-(
  • Ack! Is Easy Arrows broken for AE CC 2018?? Seems as though the stroke isn't showing up. Am I crazy? Compatibility tab indicates it's not updated from last year :-(
    Sorry, I haven't done an intensive testing yet, but I just confirmed the basic functionality is working in CC18 for Mac—the stroke is appearing and aligning properly for me. Attached is my CC18 project file.

By default, the stroke is hidden behind the arrow head until you animate 'Easy Arrow Completion' forward to see it. Can you confirm that's what you're doing? Thanks!
    aep
    aep
    AECC18-EasyArrows.aep