FBX to AE Pro
  • I use Toon Boom Harmony for my animation drawing, and comping in AE. This could finally be my bridge between the two when it comes to export / Import camera. If it works; please make this to Mac to.
  • Hi,
    yes we are working to start developing for Mac ... 
    stay tuned!
    Cheers
  • Hi   "an error occurred while saving the scene" message   
    error occurs , I wonder what is the problem
  • Hi Ali,
    there is an error during the fbx file saving.
    In order to give you support, we need to test the simplest example that generates the error (I suppose a simple aep file) that you can supply to us. Use the attachment link.

Thank you!
  • Hi, I do not know English , I am writing with translation . I 'm preparing to install additional sample data . Support please. ( Order 100415813  )

• Hi Ali,
    I have tested your project and all goes well. I attach to you the two exported file (one for MAX and one for MAYA). The error that you have encountered could be derived from the path where you are saving. Try to save with the most simple path (e.g C:\) and the most simple filename (not use "strange" character set.

Let me know
    Cheers!
    zip
    zip
    Ali_test.zip
  • thanks superman...
  • hi valerio,
    is it possible to install fbxtoae on CS6 ?
    thank you
  • I Michael Paul,
    I'm sorry but, due to the different AE SDK API, FBX_to_AE_Pro is compatible for CC 2015, CC 2014 only.

Cheers  
  • Hi, This is Nice Plugin.
    I got msg "An error occurred while saving the scene..." when i use this.
    I used AECC2014. Changed AE's language Japanese to English, Using a simple name and destination path.
    Also tried to do on simplest "one camera in a compo". but the same.
  • Hi Hiroyuki,
    I apologize but seems that plugin has some problems with multibite character sets. We are testing for this.
    As I told to Ali (another user) the error that you have encountered could be derived from the path where you are saving.
    I red that you have already tested with English version of AE and nothing changed so I suppose it could be an error due to the OS language. So please try to change the OS language also and retest with the most simple path (e.g C:\) and the most simple filename (not use "strange" character set).
    Checks this and if you want, send to us an .ae simple file example that create the error so we can test it.

Cheers
  • hi.
    Thank you reply.
    On some test. I could export some scene on Japanese language system and AE.
    I still can't know the rule of error. ( of course used simple path and object names.) 
    I found another serious error on you plugin. That always export 24fps even on 30fps composition.
  • Hi Hiroyuki,
    when you import our fbx exported file (that is correcly set with original composition fps) it seem that, for example,  3dsMax fbx importer is not able to set correctly the timeline. So, as you can see in exporter video example, before to import the fbx file, it's up to you setting the correct fps for timeline.

Cheers
  • AE:10sec(30fps) ->export -> Max:12sec(30fps)
    AE:10sec(24fps) ->export -> Max:10sec(30fps)
    AE:10sec(30fps) ->export -> Max:12sec(24fps)
    AE:10sec(24fps) ->export -> Max:10sec(24fps)

(I am sure to set correct fps on Max before import.)
    In this result. I think this exporter is working 24(or25) based fps on AE.
  • Hi Hiroyuki,
    no other user signaled us this kind of behaviour. So please, if you want, send us the four examples so we can test the export on the specific inputs and give you support.

Thank you!
  • hi.
    You can make it. It's easy. Just make each different duration compos on  AE and export to Max.
    If you already conform this kind of FPS test and result was fine, I might make mistake or something happen on my system.
    Anyway I found a solution that copy 30fps parts to 24fps compo and export to Max.
  • Hello,
    can you please tell me, whether this works well together with Videocopilot Element 3D? The best scenario would be to be able to import the 3D scene from 3ds Max to Element and the camera via FBX and effectively have the same view in AE that I have in 3ds Max. Does this work with your plugin?
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • Hello Bob,
    yes sure, our plugin does exactly what you says. Read all specifics before to export.
    Cheers,
    Valerio 
  • Hello Valerio,
    thanks for your reply. Since I unfortunately have not found a trial version, I have already bought it to test it. It does not fit my scenario completely, because there seemingly is no handling of the different origins between After Effects and 3ds Max/Element. [0,0,0] is in the center in Element, in After Effects it is in the upper left corner - therefore the camera imported from 3ds Max to AE lands in the wrong place. But by adding half the comp size to X and Y via expression or parenting to a null this can be overcome. Also I had to test, which units/scaling works best for exporting the 3D objects to be in the right dimension according to the exported camera. In my case I work in cm as system units in Max and had to export it with a scale factor of 0.394 (inch-conversion) to fit to the exported camera. Maybe you should add those points to your user guide. By the way, where can the trial version be found, that is mentioned in the user guide?
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • The plugin doesn't work. I'm using AE 2015.3 on OSX. Copied the plugin files to: Programs\Adobe After Effects CC 2015.3\Plug-ins\FBXtoAE
    The plugin is present under the File->Export, but when I choose it, enter the file name for exporting, I get an error message in a window that can not be closed and it also prevents closing AE.
  • Hi Bob,
    thank you for the tips!
    But it seems to me that something is strange. If I create an object and a camera in Max and then export the object for Element and the camera via FBX, I expect that in AE, if I observe the object through the imported camera, all system references are correct (the system origin too). Normally is what I see with camera and reference plane imported in AE from Max. Importing obj for Element could be different perhaps. I will investigate.
    And also the unit conversion is strange. Could be for the same reason i.e. the obj importing.
    I'm happy that you resolved your importing issues. 
    The trial version will be published very soon. 

Thank you so mutch
    Cheers
  • Hi Lukas,

first of all, can you send to me the complete and exact error message?
    I tested the plugin with OSX El Capitan with CC 2015.1 and Max 2016 for importing FBX. 
    In order to give you better support send us the simplest AE project that generates the error so that we can debug.
    Try to export with the simplest path and filename like for example c:\test.fbx

Let me know
    Cheers!

NB if we can't resolve your problem we will refund
  • Hi Valerio,

So for testing I've created a new AE project, new default composition, default camera without animation, and default solid. When exporting I've got the same error as previously: see screenshot
    What is the installation procedure for OSX? I've copied the plugin files to: Programs\Adobe After Effects CC 2015.3\Plug-ins\FBXtoAE
    Please give me an email address where I can send the project file - although it's all default.

Lukas
  • Hi Lukas,

some indications on plugin installation ...
    Have you installed the plugins (import and export) inside this folder?

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/[version]/MediaCore

try also to select the composition before to export and flag the solid as 3d object.

After test this one and no success, send to me the AE project that create the issue at:
    [email protected] and consider it for any other futures communications.

Thank you!
  • Hello.
    I´m exporting a scene from maya, i get this message: It seems that your imported fbx file has not been created with Animation/Bake animation/Resample All flags active.
    I checked before exporting and did what the error told me to.  But im still getting the same error.
    Whats should i do to fix it?
  • ok, i set the fbx to be 2014/15 compatible and now after effects reads the file.  But the nulls are placed in a wrong way with a big scale.
    What can i do to fix this?
  • Hi Glenn,
    nice to know you have resolved your issue by yourself.
    For locator exporting, but for exporting via fbx, you have to secure that unit scale are the same in all applications. I suggest to set "cm" as unit scale in Maya and ensure that fbx exporting panel is set on "cm" (not "Automatic").
    Try this suggestions and if you not reach a result send to me the most simple Maya example that creates the issue so that I can test.

Cheers!
  • Hi

I wanted to demo this plugin but when i try to import my FBX nothign happens. no error msg nothing I am using AE cs6 and my fbx is from max.

Thanks
  • Hi Zoubein,

sorry but as you can see in compatibility tab we assure compatibility only for AE CC 2014 and AE CC 2015. These platforms are tested ... others we can't say. Trial version is for this scope.

Cheers! 
  • hello,
    i download your plugin. I'm using max2014 and AE CC 2014. The scene is very simple and when i import the fbx in AE, it doesn't fit.
    First of all, the 3d plans in the fbx are not in the good orientation. Then the camera don't match the render images...
    My scene is in cm, i checked the good unit in fbx export as you mention...
    I dont see what's wrong.
    How can i send youthe fbx in case you have time to check it and explain me what am i doing wrong?
    I'm very interrested in this plugin for a production to come !!
    Best regards.
  • Hi Luigi,

you are right, the best solution to give you support is to test in debug mode our plugin with your simplest example that produces the incorrect result.

So please send to me [email protected] this material:
    - 3dsMax original prj
    - the fbx file that you have exported from Max of the above prj

Cheers!
  • Any chance of getting an exporter for Element 3D ?   Be really cool to get some stuff out to game engines 
  • Hi Glenn,
    I don't know very well Element 3D so I asked to my 3D artist person of reference.
    I hope to understand correctly your question.
    Element 3D can import only model geometry (not camera or animations). 
    An import / exoprt from Element 3D it seems not to be included in our vision of extend AE import/export functionality.

If I'm in error, let me know better what is your idea.
    Thankyou for the interest.

Cheers!
  • Hello.  I´m trying to export my camera and some locators to after effects and the resulting scene seems to suffer from offset of a wrong camera.  I don´t know if i am doing something wrong but i´ve followed the instrucctions i´ve seen everywhere with no succes.  Even Maya live link is failing.
    I have a 1920x1080 maya scene, i create some planes, one camera, set its Fil Aspect Ratio to 1.778, render from Arnold and then i try to import the camera via .ma files, .fbx and AE Live Link, and i always get the same result, the planes are not in position.  I also tried to set the fbx to cm.
    This is driving me crazy.
    Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks!
  • Anyone have any success with this and the Unreal engine (which exports camera moves via FBX)?

I downloaded the demo and tried it but got very whacky results: tiny frame size, hyper-wide lens, camera set-up a zillion units away from origin, etc.
  • Does this work with animations exported from Adobe Mixamo?
  • i buy FBX to AE Pro

i have error  
    "call to fbximport::initialize()failed.

help!!
    i do not fbx importer
  • For anybody this might help.

If your AE composition is set to 29.97fps and you export an fbx, it will end up being 25fps in 3ds max, which is no good. However, you can fix this by changing your composition's frame rate to 30fps and the camera will export at the correct frame rate.

There is a tiny discrepancy between 29.97fps and 30fps, but it should not be noticeable in short sequences. For longer sequences, you'll need to transcode your footage to 30fps or 25fps.

Worked for me, hope this helps.
  • When i go to add my serial it is crashing after effects?  Has anyone ever run into this?
  • When i go to add my serial it is crashing after effects?  Has anyone ever run into this?
    I have the same problem. Hope it get's fixed soon. I need this to work. 
  • Hi, this seems to be broken in AE 2019
  • Hi all!
    sorry for the late but I had some problem with mail server of my old company mail address.
    The version pubblicated at the moment is not compatible for CC2019 (I had to add the new licence framework).
    So, the good news is that v.1.0.4 for CC2019 is ready and I will publish it in these days!
    Stay tuned.
    Cheers
  • hi,
    thanks for the 1.0.4 update.
    I've got a problem when exporting.
    it seems that i can only save the fbx file on the desktop.
    Any other drive,throw me an error like "an error occured when saving".

regards,
    Fred
  • Hi Frederic,

In order to replicate the problem tell me wich operating system you are using.

Cheers,
    Valerio
  • ok,
    CC 2019 16.01,windows 10 v1809

regards,
    F
  • Hi Frederic,
    now version 1.0.4.1 fix the export path bug.
    Thankyou for alert hint.

Let me know if it's all right now.
    Cheers!
  • hi Valerio!

the export path is ok now. Thanks!
    I've got another problem when i import my fbx coming from AE and send to maya or houdini :
    all the animation start at the frame -1 even it's start at 0 or 1 in AE. So i've got to offset all frame.

regards,
    Frederic
  • Hi Frederic,

I tried to test the problem you spot to me.
    I have tested only with Houdini Apprentice 17.0.416 (no Maya yet ) and all its ok.
    So its difficult for me to replicate the problem you have encontred.
    Pheraps there is a different settings of fps timeline among AE project and Houdini project (like for example 24fps one and 25fps the other?).
    Let me know and, if you want, send to me the most simple example of AE that generates the problem once exported so that I can debug our plugin and check the correct behaviour in case of error.

Cheers!
    Valerio
  • Hi, I am having issues with AE 2019, but for some reason my single user license is now allowing me to download the latest version.  AEScripts has not been responsive to my requests over the weekend for support, and my project would really benefit from this product to integrate AE with my 3D environment!  Please advise.
  • Hi Matthew,
    I have notified the administrator of aescripts for your problem.
    I believe it will be resolved as soon as possible.
    Cheers