• Hi Patricia,

GridGuide is compatible with Ae 2022. I just updated the compatibility information :-)

Hi. Do you have an estimate when GridGuide will be updated to work on AE 2022, please? Many thanks.

All working now, thanks very much :)
  • Hi, is there an easy way to achieve a grid for the golden ratio?
    This would be great to have as a one click solution.

Kind regards and thank you for this tool!
  • Hi Andreas,

GridGuide is focused on evenly spaced grids. It cannot be used to create guides which subdivide in the golden ratio, unfortunately. This is an interesting feature request though.

Hi, is there an easy way to achieve a grid for the golden ratio?
    This would be great to have as a one click solution.

Kind regards and thank you for this tool!

• Hi Mamoworld,

today I tested first time Gridguide. I did use some basic Text and tried the Auto Grid & Snap feature and it didn´t work as expected.
    The alignment and foremost scaling of the text is weird. If you compare line 2 ("beware") and Line  3 ("artsy") Gridguide did scale them differently, although both texts had exactly the same scale. Also the Text sits not always exactly on the lines generated by Gridguide.

I have to mention that I dont have Photoshop installed - Is that an issue even when using only the Autogrid & snap feature?

Since I am unable to attach some files, I prepared a screencapture that shows the issue.

Cheers and keep up the good work,
    Frank

• Thank you for the detailed feedback, Frank!

The issue here is that the text "Beware of the" has no text below the base line, whereas "Artsy" has the y going below the text. When you measure the size of a layer, unfortunately Ae scripts can always only "see" the actual area covered by the text. They cannot see that the layer "Beware of the" would actually cover more space, when it would contain a "y" or "g" or other letter extending below the base line.

So when calculating the layout, GridGuide always thinks of the layers in terms of boxes. It makes the box for "Be aware of" and "Artsy ..." the same height, but due to the y the same height does not mean the same font size.

I see that this is not ideal, but Ae unfortunately does not give scripts access to more details text layout info. As a workaround you can remove the y temporarily before running Grid Guide.

Cheers,
    Mathias
    Hi Mamoworld,

today I tested first time Gridguide. I did use some basic Text and tried the Auto Grid & Snap feature and it didn´t work as expected.
    The alignment and foremost scaling of the text is weird. If you compare line 2 ("beware") and Line  3 ("artsy") Gridguide did scale them differently, although both texts had exactly the same scale. Also the Text sits not always exactly on the lines generated by Gridguide.

I have to mention that I dont have Photoshop installed - Is that an issue even when using only the Autogrid & snap feature?

Since I am unable to attach some files, I prepared a screencapture that shows the issue.

Cheers and keep up the good work,
    Frank

• Hi,
    Thank you for the detailed feedback, Frank!

The issue here is that the text "Beware of the" has no text below the base line, whereas "Artsy" has the y going below the text. When you measure the size of a layer, unfortunately Ae scripts can always only "see" the actual area covered by the text. They cannot see that the layer "Beware of the" would actually cover more space, when it would contain a "y" or "g" or other letter extending below the base line.

So when calculating the layout, GridGuide always thinks of the layers in terms of boxes. It makes the box for "Be aware of" and "Artsy ..." the same height, but due to the y the same height does not mean the same font size.

I see that this is not ideal, but Ae unfortunately does not give scripts access to more details text layout info. As a workaround you can remove the y temporarily before running Grid Guide.

Cheers,
    Mathias

That makes sense - thanks for the fast feedback and the clear explanation I will give it another try tomorrow...

Cheers,
    Frank
  • Hi,

Cheers,
    Mathias

That makes sense - thanks for the fast feedback and the clear explanation I will give it another try tomorrow...

Cheers,
    Frank
    Hi Mamoworld,

concerning the issue with the letters overlapping the "box measurement". It seems there is a method in AE available which can solve this issue.
    Here  you can see it at 11:10 in action.

I hope this helps you somehow in improving this nearly perfect product of yours.
    Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Frank 

• That's very interesting - thanks for sharing!
    Would be interesting to know how this is working. The only option I see right now is to apply an expression to the source text to change the text at some invisible frame (say one second before the start at the comp). That way you can remove all letters with descenders from the text at that hidden frame and measure the size at that frame. However, this workaround is rather quirky and not really robust.
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Mathias

Cheers,
    Frank
    Hi Mamoworld,

concerning the issue with the letters overlapping the "box measurement". It seems there is a method in AE available which can solve this issue.
    Here  you can see it at 11:10 in action.

I hope this helps you somehow in improving this nearly perfect product of yours.
    Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Frank 

• That's very interesting - thanks for sharing!
    Would be interesting to know how this is working. The only option I see right now is to apply an expression to the source text to change the text at some invisible frame (say one second before the start at the comp). That way you can remove all letters with descenders from the text at that hidden frame and measure the size at that frame. However, this workaround is rather quirky and not really robust.
    I researched a bit. It seems there is this java method: FontMetrics.getHeight()
    which is ignoring the descenders. Here is more Information on the topic: 
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/368295/how-to-get-real-string-height-in-java ;

Is this method even supported in AE?

• No, this is not supported in Ae, unfortunately. Expressions and scripting in Ae are based on Java Script, which is not the same as Java. And even if there are Java Script methods to retrieve font properties, they will only work in a browser and not in Ae. For this, Ae would need to have special methods to retrieve those details for text layers.
    That's very interesting - thanks for sharing!
    I researched a bit. It seems there is this java method: FontMetrics.getHeight()
    which is ignoring the descenders. Here is more Information on the topic: 
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/368295/how-to-get-real-string-height-in-java ;

Is this method even supported in AE?