Character Tool
  • Boa noite, Estou tentando usar a ferramenta no after beta 2020, porém ele não habilita.

Aparece  mensagem:

acesso bloqueado (-101)
    Configure ou desative qualquer firewall ou software antivírus que possa estar bloqueando o acesso à pasta pessoal.
    Se esse acesso for erro de tipo: Null não é um objeto.

não possuo antivirus, e mesmo desligando o firewall o character tool não funciona.

• How do we change the controller size for the limbs/arms?
  • Hi. I'm trying to use the new version 1.0.4. when I try to put my license, a message saying that the license code is for a different product, appears.
  • are there any plans to add a taper effect to the limbs at all?
    With 2020, we now have tapered stroke..
  • Liking this so far! I just have a few questions. 

1- The style layers don't respect the order you drag them into. 
    Eg: I make a thin red stroke first, then add a wide blue stroke. Then I decide I want the blue stroke under the red one, so I drag it underneath in the Effect Controls panel. But the blue stroke stays on top! Could a future update help with changing the order of the style layers?

2 - Can you add a button to help rename the style layers without creating an expression error? That would be so useful for those times where I have loads of similar looking styles.

3 - You say there's a tapered stroke - I am on the latest version of Character Tool and I can't find any option for that

4 - When you parent a hand to the wrist, how do you set it to auto-rotate? 

Eg: I make a thin red stroke first, then add a wide blue stroke. Then I decide I want the blue stroke under the red one, so I drag it underneath in the Effect Controls panel. But the blue stroke stays on top! Could a future update help with changing the order of the style layers?

2 - Can you add a button to help rename the style layers without creating an expression error? That would be so useful for those times where I have loads of similar looking styles.

3 - You say there's a tapered stroke - I am on the latest version of Character Tool and I can't find any option for that

4 - When you parent a hand to the wrist, how do you set it to auto-rotate? Helkl
    Hello, Aaron! 
    1) Unfortunately, there no way to force styles to change after you changing their order in the Effect Controls panel, or rather there a lot of difficulties and limitations in this. But I will add this to the list of issues for the upcoming update. 
    2) Yes, this will be added in update too. 
    3) For now, there no controls for taper, and we didn't say they are. If you reffering to Rob Bach's comment, he meant that tapered strokes was added to AE itself, but we didn't add yet controllers to manage tapers. We will certainly add them. 
    4) Also this. The auto-rotate option will be added in the update. It was a little bit triky to found how to perform it, but I already managed this. 

I can't say when exactly this update will come, it's quite huge and there still a lot of work, and besides I have a lot of things on my plate aside of it for now, but I dare say that when it comes, you will love it

Hello, Aaron! 
    1) Unfortunately, there no way to force styles to change after you changing their order in the Effect Controls panel, or rather there a lot of difficulties and limitations in this. But I will add this to the list of issues for the upcoming update. 
    2) Yes, this will be added in update too. 
    3) For now, there no controls for taper, and we didn't say they are. If you reffering to Rob Bach's comment, he meant that tapered strokes was added to AE itself, but we didn't add yet controllers to manage tapers. We will certainly add them. 
    4) Also this. The auto-rotate option will be added in the update. It was a little bit triky to found how to perform it, but I already managed this. 

I can't say when exactly this update will come, it's quite huge and there still a lot of work, and besides I have a lot of things on my plate aside of it for now, but I dare say that when it comes, you will love it
    Hello Mihail!

Thanks so much for the super fast reply. That all sounds really promising with the rename, the taper and the rotate!

About my first question on style order, I managed to figure out how to change the stacking order of the strokes... I twirled down the limb Contents and reordered the items called Main Group 1, 2, 3 etc (after figuring out which one was which). 

Anyway I am now using a mixture of Character Tool and Rubberhose for my project... I'm excited to see Character Tool develop more.

I wish there were more video tutorials out there for Character Tool! 
  • Looking forward to the auto-rotate. This will enable us to add details,
    such as a tattoo or line edge to the arm (or leg) which will follow the
    arms rotation.
  • how do I parent the limb to the body I made? what layer of the limb gets parented to the body so it follows the body? doesn't seem to be working?
  • how do I parent the limb to the body I made? what layer of the limb gets parented to the body so it follows the body? doesn't seem to be working?

Hello, Melissa! You can't parent limb itself to the body, because it fully depends on controllers, but you can parent them to the body and you will get what you want
  • Right - how do I attach them to the body?
  • Is there a tutorial you can point me to?
  • Is there a tutorial you can point me to?

Do you know, what parenting is? You just need to parent both controllers of the limb to the body Layer, that's it. You can found tutorials on YouTube by request "AE parenting"
  • today i tried to use "characters tools" but unfortunately it crashes AE. I did reinstallations, nothing helped. Any advice?
    .tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:pointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:pointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
  • today i tried to use "characters tools" but unfortunately it crashes AE. I did reinstallations, nothing helped. Any advice?
    .tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:pointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:pointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

Hello, please, open support ticket and in it give a little bit more info about what and how it happens
  • Can use to animated my own character pls
  • Is there gonna be an update for 2021?
  • Hi :)
    Since last week, Character tool crashs my After Effect 2020 17.7.
    I worked on a video with 5 rigg and suddenly, CRASH...
    When i try to open the panel it shut down immediately AE. I opened AE 2019 and it works there, so i continued on it.

I tried with the old and new version.

Did you have the same problem ?
  • Hi :)
    Since last week, Character tool crashs my After Effect 2020 17.7.
    I worked on a video with 5 rigg and suddenly, CRASH...
    When i try to open the panel it shut down immediately AE. I opened AE 2019 and it works there, so i continued on it.

I tried with the old and new version.

Did you have the same problem ?
    Hi,Tom! This is something new. Please, open support ticket and describe the issue in details
    Hi Mihail.. mine is crashing as well.. pulled up a former project in 2020 and a crash.
    I will use Limber in the meantime.... but let me know when a fix is up.

Update...  I updated my AE version to 2021 and it seems to be working fine. thanks

Thanks
  • Rob Bach said:
    today i tried to use "characters tools" but unfortunately it crashes AE. I did reinstallations, nothing helped. Any advice?
    Hi Mihail.. mine is crashing as well.. pulled up a former project in 2021 and a crash.
    I will use Limber in the meantime.... but let me know when a fix is up. 
    Thanks
    Hi Rob! Please, open support ticket and describe the issue in details
  • Привет, будет в последующих версиях возможность делать FK/IK риг и менять его на ходу? Очень большой недостаток в инструментарии рига, то что можно работать лишь в IK
  • Привет, будет в последующих версиях возможность делать FK/IK риг и менять его на ходу? Очень большой недостаток в инструментарии рига, то что можно работать лишь в IK

Здравствуйте, Михаил. Честно говоря, пока в планах не было. Это достаточно сложно реализовать. Написал вам в личку, чтобы можно было обсудить, как вы это видите.
  • This is such an amazing tool, for me the only thing its missing is the ability to lock the controller rotation to the angle of the limb instead or it being always at 0. For example Limber does this with a "Rotate End" slider which allows you to either set bone rotation to zero or fallow limb direction. this would really double down on the ability to parent outside shapes and art to the base form. 

THANKS, I LOVE THIS TOOL!
    -Mike
  • "3) For now, there no controls for taper, and we didn't say they are. If you reffering to Rob Bach's comment, he meant that tapered strokes was added to AE itself, but we didn't add yet controllers to manage tapers. We will certainly add them. "

any news on an update?

• "3) For now, there no controls for taper, and we didn't say they are. If you reffering to Rob Bach's comment, he meant that tapered strokes was added to AE itself, but we didn't add yet controllers to manage tapers. We will certainly add them. "

any news on an update?

It will be released very soon, there just so much of work had been done. We are fixing the last bugs and testing it right now

any news on an update?

Deekay Tool has been released! Check it here:  https://aescripts.com/deekay-tool/ ;