Genome - Cinema 4D
  • I seem to be having issues using a pre-existing cloner. Nothing happens when I have dragged the cloner in and tick convert cloner. I may be missing something obvious.
  • "I seem to be having issues using a pre-existing cloner. Nothing happens when I have dragged the cloner in and tick convert cloner. I may be missing something obvious."
    Does the C4D console print an error message when you tick the button? Does the button stay ticked, or does it untick itself? What version are you using?

Send me the project file, and I'll take a look at it.

Email: luke @ lukeletellier . com

• This looks interesting. Can you tell me if it would work for this scenario:

I am animating a magazine/book opening and pages flipping through. I have animated a single page turning, and am using a cloner and a step effector on that to make it into many pages turning.

The problem I face is that because it is a single cloned object, the texture on all of the pages is exactly the same.

With "Genome", could I apply different textures to all of the clones, so that it looks like a real magazine would, with different images on each page?

Thank you.
  • Hey Mike,
    Sorry it took me so long to respond; my e-mail notification system wasn't setup correctly. Now it is! Or should be.

To answer your question - it should work for that situation. I actually created Genome while trying to do exactly that - create an animated book with each image being a different texture. 

However, you probably could get the effect you're looking for by using the multishader which comes with C4D (I've included a link below) - the multishader was made to do exactly that: have a separate, unique texture for each of your Mograph Clones.

So before you spend any money, maybe try that out to see if it fits your needs. 

If you have any other questions, let me know - I should be getting notifications now, so I'll be able to respond to your messages within 24 hours or less. 

Thanks for your patience!
    Luke
  • Using a cube with a Motext as a child, this is a letter sitting on the front of the cube.
    Make an ordinare clone and convert it to Genome clone.
    Then I change the individual Motext letters in the "doubles". This works fine until you close the project, when reopening, all the motext are reset to the original Motext. Is there any workaround to this?
  • Genome is designed in such a fashion that the doubles cannot be changed manually by hand; as they will reset like you have seen. In order to get around this, you'll have to change the MoText text field in each Double by iterating through the clones using Xpresso. 
  • Actually it worked if you turned off Genome and the Genome Cloner and just used the Doubles and put the Motext as a child of the doubles geometry.
  • Great! I'm glad you found a solution.
  • Did R17 or R18 introduce functionality that made Genome obsolete? (The last update was for R16 compatibility only)
  • Demand for the plugin has decreased dramatically, as there have been several free presets that have emerged offering different but very similar functionality (I believe one was a per-anders asset that I've seen linked to several times in the CGtalk forums), so development for R17/R18 just hasn't been fiscally appropriate.