• Finally upgraded to Kbar3, but now its not running:
    I updated os to venture 13.4 and latest AE version, restart, reinstall nothing helps... please help as can't work without it !
    Here is the error:

KBar was unable to load any toolbars and will use a default setup.

Error: The toolbar file at "/Users/yoav/Library/Preferences/aescripts/kbar/toolbars.json" could not be opened.

InnerError: Cannot read property 'ctrl' of undefined

---

stack not available

• Finally upgraded to Kbar3, but now its not running:
    I updated os to venture 13.4 and latest AE version, restart, reinstall nothing helps... please help as can't work without it !
    Here is the error:

KBar was unable to load any toolbars and will use a default setup.

Error: The toolbar file at "/Users/yoav/Library/Preferences/aescripts/kbar/toolbars.json" could not be opened.

InnerError: Cannot read property 'ctrl' of undefined

---

stack not available

if you need assistance, please open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hello, Can individual button sizes and space options be made for Kbar 2 and other KBar panels? Thanks
  • Can Kbar call the stuff from the main AE tool bar like orbit, pan, and dolly cams, pen tool and sub menu (add vertex, etc), puppet stuff, etc? I tried the demo and it does not seem to allow putting these things on a menu bar.
  • Hello. I have a lot of scripts, I don't like hovering over icons to show names. I want to display the icon above, and have the name of the script displayed below at the same time. can you add this function. 
  • Hello. I have a lot of scripts, I don't like hovering over icons to show names. I want to display the icon above, and have the name of the script displayed below at the same time. can you add this function. 
    you don't have to use icons you can just text for the buttons.
  • KBAR4: Is there a setting where you can display all categories at once instead of having to right click on the interface and select what category you want in the dropdown menu? It kinda defeats the purpose of having a ready access button list when you have to select a category. Yes...you could jam all the buttons into one huge category...but I would like them categorized and separated so they are easier to find. I would like to have like 20 categories of buttons all displayed at once in a huge window. The goal is to have the window open and just one press of the button have something happening. That is the purpose of this app. To have all buttons at the ready. I don't mind scrolling. I just don't want to have to deal with "submenus" otherwise...you might as well just use the normal menu right?
  • KBAR4: Is there a setting where you can display all categories at once instead of having to right click on the interface and select what category you want in the dropdown menu? It kinda defeats the purpose of having a ready access button list when you have to select a category. Yes...you could jam all the buttons into one huge category...but I would like them categorized and separated so they are easier to find. I would like to have like 20 categories of buttons all displayed at once in a huge window. The goal is to have the window open and just one press of the button have something happening. That is the purpose of this app. To have all buttons at the ready. I don't mind scrolling. I just don't want to have to deal with "submenus" otherwise...you might as well just use the normal menu right?
    Hi Joe,

I'm having a little trouble understanding the challenge you're having. My best guess is that you want to work with only one panel that lets you swap between everything. If that's the case, KBar already supports that. Perhaps you can open a support ticket so I can better help you?

Thanks,
    -Rafi
  • Useful plugin! But when hovering over the script icon. "Description" speed is a bit slow. if it shows up immediately that's too good.
  • Useful plugin! But when hovering over the script icon. "Description" speed is a bit slow. if it shows up immediately that's too good.
    Hi Jack, thanks for the suggestion. I try to make the timing match what's in AE but sometimes that gets tweaked without me knowing. I'll slow it down in a future update.
  • I have 2 feature requests. First A search facility maybe it could open up and highlight items. or act like a filter. I have number of panels and most have actions in the modifiers in doing so I might want to check if I have that action already set up.
    Second one is a "Has Modifiers" indicator. So maybe kbar adds a twirl triangle in the corner of the top level icon if the action has modifier actions within it.
    That's it. 
    Enjoying my kbar I'm not sure now i could ever go kbarless again.
  • Can you upgrade more? I recommend adding a search button for the effect name in the kbar list. I have a lot of scripts (several dozen scripts) displayed from top to bottom, but when the area is narrowed, the icon at the bottom is obscured. I want to roll the mouse to run down, or have a long slider to drag. Every time I select below, I have to expand the plugin area, which is very inconvenient, thank you
  • Why does Kbar not pick up effects that are Obsolete? Shouldn't that not matter, as those legacy effects are still present in AE?
  • Does the plugin work in AE 2023?
  • I have 2 feature requests. First A search facility maybe it could open up and highlight items. or act like a filter. I have number of panels and most have actions in the modifiers in doing so I might want to check if I have that action already set up.
    Second one is a "Has Modifiers" indicator. So maybe kbar adds a twirl triangle in the corner of the top level icon if the action has modifier actions within it.
    That's it. 
    Enjoying my kbar I'm not sure now i could ever go kbarless again.
    Hi Ben, thanks for the suggestions. Deeply appreciate you letting me know your pain points with KBar so I can improve the product.  I'll definitely consider these as part of an upcoming release.
  • Can you upgrade more? I recommend adding a search button for the effect name in the kbar list. I have a lot of scripts (several dozen scripts) displayed from top to bottom, but when the area is narrowed, the icon at the bottom is obscured. I want to roll the mouse to run down, or have a long slider to drag. Every time I select below, I have to expand the plugin area, which is very inconvenient, thank you
    Hi Jack, I'm having trouble understanding the suggestion.  Can you describe this the behavior differently or perhaps give me a rough illustration of what you would like? It might be better to do this in a support ticket as well.
  • Why does Kbar not pick up effects that are Obsolete? Shouldn't that not matter, as those legacy effects are still present in AE?
    KBar does not scan for the effects.  It asks AE directly for the lists that are allowed to be present and and the product blindly displays it. Obsolete effects are simply not provided so therefore they aren't rendered. There isn't anything I can do about that. Sorry :/
  • Does the plugin work in AE 2023?
    Yes!
  • When the annual Upgrade comes through. For example to AE 24 does all the script paths update to the new install? Or do we have a cool methood to do this?
  • When the annual Upgrade comes through. For example to AE 24 does all the script paths update to the new install? Or do we have a cool methood to do this?
    I second this question. When I went to 23 I went into every script and reselected. 
  • Because the interface horizontally space has some room, but vertically space is limited, I use Kbar vertically. Here is my problem, you can't easilly get from one bar to another in kbar itself, because you have to make it wide enough to show the hamburger menu which I do not. And if you choose show menu name, no matter how short your names are it leaves a bunch of extra space as if the name was twice as long. 

Ids there a better was to get from bar to bar with this minimalist, vertical use?
  • Because the interface horizontally space has some room, but vertically space is limited, I use Kbar vertically. Here is my problem, you can't easilly get from one bar to another in kbar itself, because you have to make it wide enough to show the hamburger menu which I do not. And if you choose show menu name, no matter how short your names are it leaves a bunch of extra space as if the name was twice as long. 

Ids there a better was to get from bar to bar with this minimalist, vertical use?
    If you show the toolbar label it gives you a quick way to see the list of all the toolbars and then swap between them.
    I second this question. When I went to 23 I went into every script and reselected. 
    Unfortunately it's not a seamless technique. The closest thing you can do is export and re-import.
  • button size and spacing is not working for me after installing kbar3.
  • How can I create custom icons using SVG? When I export from illustrator it doesn't work. I am guessing I have a setting wrong in Illustrator exports. Any help would be appreciated.
  • No matter how many times I "Deny" this (((Allow anonymous analytics / OK Deny))), it keeps asking me every efing week! This is the most annoying app to deal with. Today there is also a blackout in the screen, can't use this app! Image
  • I've encountered an issue where the following script will not work in Kbar3.  It works perfectly fine however when run from the scripts menu in AE
    NoxStack-WriteToClipboardB.jsx
    It should create a new folder (if there's not one already) and paste all the selected layers into a new comp called _NoxStack
    Continued use of the script should will overwrite the layers with what is selected
  • How can I programatically import .kbar files and update them, if they exist already, so that users are all on the same page?
  • This plugin is really close to being epic. This is probably outside of your scope of intentions, but can you make every action mappable to a keyboard shortcut? In Premiere, I know it's possible, and the plugin is called Excalibur. I imagine the APIs are similar. That would be truly awesome. Buttons are nice, but not always ideal ideal. Shortcuts are faster and more efficient.
  • No matter how many times I "Deny" this (((Allow anonymous analytics / OK Deny))), it keeps asking me every efing week! This is the most annoying app to deal with. Today there is also a blackout in the screen, can't use this app! Image
    In case someone finds this issue, it's a reflection of a bad install of AE.
  • James Lee said:
    I've encountered an issue where the following script will not work in Kbar3.  It works perfectly fine however when run from the scripts menu in AE
    NoxStack-WriteToClipboardB.jsx
    It should create a new folder (if there's not one already) and paste all the selected layers into a new comp called _NoxStack
    Continued use of the script should will overwrite the layers with what is selected
    This means the script wasn't designed to be invoked from a tool launcher. Tell the author that you want to invoke it from KBar and they can patch it accordingly.
  • How can I programatically import .kbar files and update them, if they exist already, so that users are all on the same page?
    I don't quite understand this. Are you saying you want to have a toolbar that is sync'd across multiple machines automatically?
  • This plugin is really close to being epic. This is probably outside of your scope of intentions, but can you make every action mappable to a keyboard shortcut? In Premiere, I know it's possible, and the plugin is called Excalibur. I imagine the APIs are similar. That would be truly awesome. Buttons are nice, but not always ideal ideal. Shortcuts are faster and more efficient.
    Unfortunately there's no native API in AE to support this. Otherwise, I would have absolutely added it to KBar!
  • Rafi Khan said:
    How can I programatically import .kbar files and update them, if they exist already, so that users are all on the same page?
    I don't quite understand this. Are you saying you want to have a toolbar that is sync'd across multiple machines automatically?
    Yes. But as I don’t assume this functionality this built in, how can I import .kbar files using python, so the users don’t need to do that manually. Basically I want to run that import function that gets called, when a user imports a .kbar file.
  • Hey all, great Plugin.
    Is there something i am missing Or is the KBar Import Folder not working at all?
    As shown in the tutorial it should automatically import all the scripts in the folder that is setup as the import folder. But nothing happens.
  • Hey all, great Plugin.
    Is there something i am missing Or is the KBar Import Folder not working at all?
    As shown in the tutorial it should automatically import all the scripts in the folder that is setup as the import folder. But nothing happens.
    Please open a support ticket with a screen recording of what you're seeing.
  • Rafi Khan said:
    How can I programatically import .kbar files and update them, if they exist already, so that users are all on the same page?
    Yes. But as I don’t assume this functionality this built in, how can I import .kbar files using python, so the users don’t need to do that manually. Basically I want to run that import function that gets called, when a user imports a .kbar file.
    Unfortunately this isn't something that's exposed in any type of API. Also, it's a lot of work to do that. I'd consider adding it if there was enough demand but this is the first time I'm seeing a request like this.
  • I'm trying to create buttons for various blending modes. I've been successful with Normal, Overlay, Screen, and Multiply. I am UNsuccessful with Darken, Add, and Lighten. I just select the menu item for those like the ones that work, but the button does nothing. I'm on KBar2.
  • Is there a way to invoke right click on footage in project file list, Replace footage>File...?
  • Is there a way to invoke right click on footage in project file list, Replace footage>File...?
    Unfortunately, not all menu items are accessible via KBar. This is a limitation of the API within after effects itself so I can't do anything about it. Sorry.
  • Rafi Khan said:
    Is there a way to invoke right click on footage in project file list, Replace footage>File...?
    Unfortunately, not all menu items are accessible via KBar. This is a limitation of the API within after effects itself so I can't do anything about it. Sorry.
    No worries at all. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!
    Hi Timothy you can do this by pressing Ctrl+H
  • Hi there, first i want to thank you for this amazing extension,
    couldn't imagine my life without it ! /

But every now and then, I have this issue 

"Logger: toolbar
    Cannot read property 'length' of undefined."

I have to restart After effects and hope it doesn't happen again.
    Then when i reworks, I have the classic "Fly-Out Menu" where i have to manually click "OK" on 4 panels, allow analytics (undocking panels, re-docking them in order to click on these options)...

This is very annoying as it makes feel as kbar not being reliable, and is a hassle to manage...

Thank you for your help