ft-Lens Distortion
  • If you have a comp with multiple layers, can you apply this to the top on an adjustment layer and have everything effected? Or would you have to pre-comp, the apply the preset?
  • Does this work with AE CC and Premiere CC?
  • Does this work with AE CC and Premiere CC?
    Yes it does.
  • do you just reverse the numbers to make it go the opposite way?
    how do you distort the CG to match the undistorted source video?
    For now it does use the distortion model from Syntheyes. You can find more information about the algorithm here : http://www.ssontech.com/content/lensalg.htm

reversing is a bit more complexe than just having values in the opposite way. but in a nutshell, yes kind of :) 
    I believe there is some open source implementation of this algorithm for different softwares. 

If your source video is already undistorted, then the CG should match it. Re-apply the same filter with the same values to distord the CG render, then it will match the distortion of your original plate

For now it does use the distortion model from Syntheyes. You can find more information about the algorithm here : http://www.ssontech.com/content/lensalg.htm

reversing is a bit more complexe than just having values in the opposite way. but in a nutshell, yes kind of :) 
    I believe there is some open source implementation of this algorithm for different softwares. 

If your source video is already undistorted, then the CG should match it. Re-apply the same filter with the same values to distord the CG render, then it will match the distortion of your original plate

haha sorry I'm still confused
    so if I were to use this in an AE tracking pipeline
    would it look something like this?
     1- film footage
     2- film lens correction map (grid) for that specific lens
     3- undistort lens correction map, use solution on film footage
     4- track distorted film footage
     5- use track for CG elements
     6- use same distortion from step 2 on rendered CG
     7- composite distorted CG onto original film footage

so on step 6 just click invert distortion? on fl-lens distortion?
    if i don't click invert it would just have the effect of pinching in the footage twice yea?

haha sorry I'm still confused
    so if I were to use this in an AE tracking pipeline
    would it look something like this?
     1- film footage
     2- film lens correction map (grid) for that specific lens
     3- undistort lens correction map, use solution on film footage
     4- track distorted film footage
     5- use track for CG elements
     6- use same distortion from step 2 on rendered CG
     7- composite distorted CG onto original film footage

so on step 6 just click invert distortion? on fl-lens distortion?
    if i don't click invert it would just have the effect of pinching in the footage twice yea?
    It quite depends if you are using Syntheyes or not. 

In case you do use Syn : 

1 - track in SYN
    2 - solve the lens distortion
    3 - apply ft-lens on your CG render in AE
    4 - report syntheyes lens distortion values onto ft-lens and reverse the distortion

if you are not using SYN : 
    1 - undistorted your footage in AE with ft-lens
    2 - track your undistorted footage in your tracking app
    3 - copy the ft-lens you did used to undistort your footage on your cg render
    4 - check the invert distortion 

Don't forget that your distorted CG should be on top of your original footage

cheers

F.

• Hi

I was hoping this plugin help me. It fix the lens distortion but it introduce another kind of distortion into the footage. See the sample at http://tinypic.com/r/2n7l9ts/8.

• Hi

I was hoping this plugin help me. It fix the lens distortion but it introduce another kind of distortion into the footage. See the sample at http://tinypic.com/r/2n7l9ts/8.

This is a strange behavior. is that the result in your viewer or is it your rendered image. 
    Could you provide your configuration information as well as the AE project. Perhaps open a ticket for it. 

cheers, 

F. 
  • Hello François, I got the same issue than Hugh Saffar.
    The problem is on the image on the viewer, AND in the footage once exported. Distortion works nice, but this is really anoying... I'm on cs6, on a mac pro, shooting 2,7k, 25fps, and in a comp the same size. (and it also happens in fullHD comps by the way).
    Do  you know if I can do something? Or do you know if there is a solution (appart from going into after effects and using the optical compensation...)

Thanks!
    The problem is on the image on the viewer, AND in the footage once exported. Distortion works nice, but this is really anoying... I'm on cs6, on a mac pro, shooting 2,7k, 25fps, and in a comp the same size. (and it also happens in fullHD comps by the way).
    Do  you know if I can do something? Or do you know if there is a solution (appart from going into after effects and using the optical compensation...)

Thanks!
    Hi Guillaume, 
    Never reproduce this bug with Lens Distortion, but we do have a similar one happening in some cases with ft-UVPass. I'm thinking this could be the same issue on both plugins. We are looking into it now. 
    Would it be possible for you to send me a AE project where you have the bug ? 

thanks you 

F.

Thanks!
    Hi Guillaume, 
    Never reproduce this bug with Lens Distortion, but we do have a similar one happening in some cases with ft-UVPass. I'm thinking this could be the same issue on both plugins. We are looking into it now. 
    Would it be possible for you to send me a AE project where you have the bug ? 

thanks you 

F.

I just tested it on after effects with a jpeg image of geometric forms: NO ISSUES at all! Works perfectly. I then tested it on premiere pro: awful! So this is a premiere pro problem only! (but i need it for premiere, not after effects).
    The source image:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfvzyh3jb2myht9/source_00000.jpg
    The after effect output
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nygobcdhacjfu31/after effects no bug_00000.jpg
    Premiere output
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oprnlxjq8c8rx3/premiere bug0.jpg

• I just tested it on after effects with a jpeg image of geometric forms: NO ISSUES at all! Works perfectly. I then tested it on premiere pro: awful! So this is a premiere pro problem only! (but i need it for premiere, not after effects).
    The source image:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfvzyh3jb2myht9/source_00000.jpg
    The after effect output
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nygobcdhacjfu31/after effects no bug_00000.jpg
    Premiere output
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2oprnlxjq8c8rx3/premiere bug0.jpg

Ok good to know. 
    could you give me the exact parameters you used to get this in both AE and PE please ? 

thanks

F. 
  • could you give me the exact parameters you used to get this in both AE and PE please ?
    Yeah ok,
    I used in both AE and Premiere Pro CS6 1920x1080p, 25FPS square pixel ratio.
    Nothing to find here... I will send you a download link tomorrow with both projects so you can see by yourself if there are any differences. Maybe that's just the way premiere handles your software on mac, I dunno... I hope you will find a solution, because for the moment I have to switch to AE, and I loose so much time.

Cheers!
  • Hallo everybody,
    I've just bought ft-Lens distortion and I'd like
    to past and copy on the plugin Distortion parameter, the Lens distortion
    value calculated on Syntheyes. But it seems I can not make it cause AE
    don't accept low value...   I show my case with an example:
     calculatede
    in Syntheyes a distortion value of the plate as 0.0017 and know I
    should copy and pat this value on the Distortion parameter in the
    ft-Lens Distortion plugin.  But it doesn't accept this low value.
    What I have to do?

Many thanks for a replay!
  • Hallo everybody,
    I've just bought ft-Lens distortion and I'd like
    to past and copy on the plugin Distortion parameter, the Lens distortion
    value calculated on Syntheyes. But it seems I can not make it cause AE
    don't accept low value...   I show my case with an example:
     calculatede
    in Syntheyes a distortion value of the plate as 0.0017 and know I
    should copy and pat this value on the Distortion parameter in the
    ft-Lens Distortion plugin.  But it doesn't accept this low value.
    What I have to do?

Many thanks for a replay!
    Hi Simone

you should be able to enter the number by hand. When you'll hit enter, after effects will round the number for display only, but it will keep the small value in memory. You should have the correct result at the end, don't you ? 
  • CC2015 update coming soon?
  • Any updates for CC 2015 planned?
  • CC2015 update coming soon?
    Any updates for CC 2015 planned?

It is already compatible with CC 2015 :) 

cheers, 

F.
  • it does work with cc2015, but it takes an insane amount of time to render. something has gone wrong. 
  • Just want to second that there is definitely an issue with ft-Lens Distortion in CC 2015. Even dropping the effect on a layer with NO adjustments takes seconds to render, which used to be instant. Updating a frame with no other effects is about 6-7 seconds.

One of my favorite and most used plugins! I hope it can be fixed either by Francois or Adobe.
  • Hi Francois,
    I've just updated to v 7.5.
    Using Syntheyes, it would be great to know interaction with ft-Lens when you use in Syntheyes a distortion grid to calculate lens distortion of camera used. For example, I create a preset for every Lens I used, but i don't remember lens distortion value... there is only the preset. Now, I can't apply any lens distortion value in AE, by ft-Lens distortion... There is a way to know this distortion value calculated by  distortion grid, maybe reading the preset file (I don't know anything about it...) or in Syntheyes I have to calculate with traditional (AND LESS ACCURATE) method, the plate lens distortion?

Many thanks for a reply!
  • Of course,
    if you want to read my lens presets, I send you these files! Maybe can you find inside them the (unique) lens distortion value we need to apply to ft-Lens...
  • How do I install it in Premiere CC?
  • I bought your plugin few days ago. The undistortion of the original footage works fine and generates the same results as in Syntheyes . But the Invert checkbox is not working at all ! When I work with an "Distortion" Value of 0.01 and I click the Invertcheckbox, then the distortion is not inverted! Its more like the deactivation of the whole effect but not inverting. When I work with the "Cubic distortion" it seems at least as if he inverted it. But it also does not work properly. So if take an image and undistort this. And after that I redistort it with the invert checkbox, the orignal footage should be recreated. But it don't work! :-(
  • Hi,

I have seen other people comment on this issue, but is there a solution for the plug-in taking crazy amounts of time to render in AE 2015?

It worked fine in previous eversions.

Thanks
  • WHAT HAPPENED!? Why doesn't it work anymore?
  • This plugin does work on CC versions (I've seen it work on CC 2017.3, OS X El Capitan), but it's very, very, very, very, very slow. I've switched to the "EFX Chromatic Aberration" plugin. I prefer ft-Lens Distortion's results to EFX Chromatic Aberration's results. But EFX Chromatic Aberration has some nice compositing features and won't slow you down. 

I also use ft-UVPass, which also became very slow with CC versions, then François released an update, which works great. So there is hope that he'll release an update to this one at some point, which would be fantastic.

EDIT: I take it all back -- I was using version 7.1 -- make sure you're using version 7.5!
  • Thought I'd give people looking at this plug in some feed back. with V7.5

Works on CC2020 premiere and its great, but my 2-min video says that it will take about 15-Hours to render. But the plug in is fantastic otherwise.
  • Current version doesn't work on Catalina OS. Can we get an update?
  • Seconding John. I'm getting launch problems with AE in projects containing the ft-Lens Distortion plug-in even after uninstalling. Yikes. 
  • I've used this often over the years, cheers to Francois Tarlier for providing it to the community. Will there be an update to make it compatible with AE22 multi-frame rendering?

• Current version doesn't work on Catalina OS. Can we get an update?
    Version 7.5a is compatible with AE 22 and macOS Catalina and above.

Please see the faq on how to upgrade "Name Your Own Price" products (https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-upgrade-name-your-own-price-products/)
  • Its a great plugin but I was wondering if this gets an update to multiframe rendering?

And also, I have this issue where the Chromatic Aberration doesn't go all the way to the edges,
    so a little gap is visible on the edges. Can you add some sort of Repeat Edge Pixel function to the plugin?
  • Its a great plugin but I was wondering if this gets an update to multiframe rendering?

And also, I have this issue where the Chromatic Aberration doesn't go all the way to the edges,
    so a little gap is visible on the edges. Can you add some sort of Repeat Edge Pixel function to the plugin?

You can apply the 'Grow Bounds' effects before it in the stack to fix this issue.
  • Any chance this will be updated for M1 Compatibility?