Quick Preview
  • Hi Momcilo,, this looks very handy, im just about to get it,,
    but a few questions about the load and save,   
     how does it save ?
     does it use the project name or location to save?
     how does opening a different project and coming back to it it work  if you use the script in both projects ?
    what about incremented projects ?
    thanks
     shane
  • Hi Momcilo,, this looks very handy, im just about to get it,,
    but a few questions about the load and save,   
     how does it save ?
     does it use the project name or location to save?
     how does opening a different project and coming back to it it work  if you use the script in both projects ?
    thanks
     shane
    Hey Shane,

Scripts makes a folder hierarchy in the project panel with the main folder called "QUICK_PREVIEW - DO NOT TOUCH". That folder has 4 group folders and each group folder has folders with layer/effect/mask info.

So to answer your question it's saved with the project file as the folder structure.

Cheers
  • Thanks Momcilo for the speedy reply !

•  how does opening a different project and coming back to it it work  if you use the script in both projects ?
    That's one of the great features of Quick Preview, it saves the sets to the project so you can switch projects and save/load the sets from each one quickly and easily.
  • Load Selection Set is not working for me. I see the correct folders in the Project Window but clicking "LOAD" does not return the information to the Quick Preview dialog.

I'm using AE CS4 on Mac OS 10.6.8.
  • Load Selection Set is not working for me. I see the correct folders in the Project Window but clicking "LOAD" does not return the information to the Quick Preview dialog.

I'm using AE CS4 on Mac OS 10.6.8.
    Hey Frank,

I just tried it on CS4 and it works. Can you delete the folder "QUICK_PREVIEW - DO NOT TOUCH" and resave?
    Something went wrong probably and i'll look into it.

Cheers
  • Hi Momcilo,

I've tried everything I can think of but still can't get Loading/Saving to work. It's a really simple project that I'm using just to test the operation of QuickPreview.

Let me make a few more observations.

If I apply QuickPreview in a project and then close the project, should the information clear from the QuickView panel? Because in my case this does not happen. The info remains even when a project has been closed.

If I apply QuickPreview in a project and Save, I get the message 'Selection sets successfully saved'. If I now click Load, I get the message 'Selection sets successfully loaded'. However all the information that was in the panel when I saved is obliterated.
  • HI! just purchased this script, as i can see its usefulness, haven't done any heavy composits yet, so have not had a chance to test it out in production, but am looking forward to it.

i have an issue with the licensing though.

my antiVIrus keeps on picking up this someweirdnumber.exe file on a local temp folder.
    first i thought it was something suspicious, so i had disabled it, and it turns out it was Quick previews licensing manager.

I appreciate the whole licensing, but it is bit odd that licensing has to be done through an external executable file.

anyway, its just that my antiVirus kept on picking it up everytime i launch After effects, and if i don't run it, it will remove my license, so i have to reactivate it again.

i could add it to exception list, but was not 100% satisfied with the fact that there was an "unknown" exe file being run everytime thats all.

just letting you know as this might be an issue with other users as well.

FYI, i am using avast anti virus (free version)

thanks!
  • Hello, Momcilo.

The script works perfectly for me and it's very useful. I'd like to make two suggestions:

- Rename the required save/load folder to something other than "QUICK_PREVIEW - DO NOT TOUCH". I try to keep my projects as clean and organized as possible and this huge, all caps title is very annoying. A more elegant solution would be something like "Quick Preview Folder" or "Quick Preview Data". You can then display a one-time warning (or make it configurable so it can be displayed every time a person clicks the save button) stating that the folder shouldn't be tampered with. That should be more than enough for the regular user.

- Change the 'del' button to 'clear' or 'reset'. I think that the 'del' word can be confusing, since I first thought it would delete a single item.

Thank you.
  • Hi there, i have left a comment regarding my anti-virus picking up what i assume is the license checker.

i have noticed, few times that it severely crashes my computer.

I am quite sure it is the license checker, as my computer crashed as soon as

run after effects
    virus checker asks if i want to run this .exe file on my app/localData folder 
    when i say continue running, sometimes it will literally crash my computer (blue screen, which i have seen for a first time in very long time)

i am running windows 8
    Avast anti virus (free edition)
    after effects CS6

would appreciate any feedback regarding this matter, as i have already lost quite a bit of work few times due to this major crash.

thanks!
  • Hi there, i have left a comment regarding my anti-virus picking up what i assume is the license checker.

i have noticed, few times that it severely crashes my computer.

I am quite sure it is the license checker, as my computer crashed as soon as

run after effects
    virus checker asks if i want to run this .exe file on my app/localData folder 
    when i say continue running, sometimes it will literally crash my computer (blue screen, which i have seen for a first time in very long time)

i am running windows 8
    Avast anti virus (free edition)
    after effects CS6

would appreciate any feedback regarding this matter, as i have already lost quite a bit of work few times due to this major crash.

thanks!
    Hello Christian,

I'm afraid licencing is not done on my side. I'll have to contact one of the creators of this site and wait for the response. 

• would appreciate any feedback regarding this matter, as i have already lost quite a bit of work few times due to this major crash.

Sorry you are having trouble but it should never cause a crash and  we don't have any other reports of this ever happening before so we suspect it might be something specific on your system.  Please open a support ticket and we can help you directly.
  • Hello, Momcilo.

The script works perfectly for me and it's very useful. I'd like to make two suggestions:

- Rename the required save/load folder to something other than "QUICK_PREVIEW - DO NOT TOUCH". I try to keep my projects as clean and organized as possible and this huge, all caps title is very annoying. A more elegant solution would be something like "Quick Preview Folder" or "Quick Preview Data". You can then display a one-time warning (or make it configurable so it can be displayed every time a person clicks the save button) stating that the folder shouldn't be tampered with. That should be more than enough for the regular user.

- Change the 'del' button to 'clear' or 'reset'. I think that the 'del' word can be confusing, since I first thought it would delete a single item.

Thank you.
    Hello,

Expect an update in the next 7 days. I will include an option for you to name the folder. 

Cheers
  • Hi, Momcilo.

Great, thanks for the heads up. I've been using the script more and more each day so I'm looking forward to it.

Best Regards.
  • Hi, Momcilo.

Great, thanks for the heads up. I've been using the script more and more each day so I'm looking forward to it.

Best Regards.
    Hey Douglas,

Please download version 1.01 for the update. I've changed the folder name. 

Cheers
  • Hi Momcilo,

further to my earlier issue with QuickPreview in Mac AECS4 I can add some further detail.

If I select a LAYER and add that to a group, Save selection sets, Save project, close AE, reopen AE, Load previous project, Load selection sets...then the group information does reload correctly into the QuickPreview panel.

However if my original selection consists of EFFECTS, then when I Load selection sets no information loads into the group...even though the correct folder structure for QuickPreview appears in the project window.

Frank
  • Furthermore if a group contains LAYER, EFFECTS, and MASKS only the LAYER information reloads correctly when I Load selection sets.

Hope this helps!
  • Hi Momcilo,

further to my earlier issue with QuickPreview in Mac AECS4 I can add some further detail.

If I select a LAYER and add that to a group, Save selection sets, Save project, close AE, reopen AE, Load previous project, Load selection sets...then the group information does reload correctly into the QuickPreview panel.

However if my original selection consists of EFFECTS, then when I Load selection sets no information loads into the group...even though the correct folder structure for QuickPreview appears in the project window.

Frank

Same happens to me on CS6...
    So very unfortunately using this Script makes no sense!
  • Hi Momcilo,

Frank

Same happens to me on CS6...
    So very unfortunately using this Script makes no sense!
    Hello,

I'll investigate this problem first thing in the morning, will keep you posted.
    Sorry for your trouble
  • I would like to have more than 4 sets.  Is that possible?  Like 12 or more?  I do visual effects work and have comps with multiple types of passes.  This script could be very helpful in controlling/previewing many types of layers across comps within one project.
  • Also, I'd like to isolate set(s) as well. Please let me know ASAP.
  • Also, I'd like to isolate set(s) as well. Please let me know ASAP.
    Have you checked out Zorro?  It can isolate/solo sets and has an unlimited number of sets since it works with tags.
  • it would be great to have a version of this that could mass lock&shy
  • Hi, Lloyd.  'Last I checked, Zorro did not work beyond one comp.  I need something that works across all comps within one project. Unless Zorro has an update...( I already own a copy)?
  • Hi, Lloyd.  'Last I checked, Zorro did not work beyond one comp.  I need something that works across all comps within one project. Unless Zorro has an update...( I already own a copy)?
    Correct, Zorro currently only works in the active comp.
  • Hi Lloyd
    I am running OSX.10.1  (10.10.1)
    AECC 2014
    When I try to load the group only layers show up but it will not remember the effects or masks.  Every time I open a comp I have to re-do my group as this script will not load the effects that have been targeted.  Will only load layers?  Is there an update I missed? 
  • Hi Lloyd
    I am running OSX.10.1  (10.10.1)
    AECC 2014
    When I try to load the group only layers show up but it will not remember the effects or masks.  Every time I open a comp I have to re-do my group as this script will not load the effects that have been targeted.  Will only load layers?  Is there an update I missed? 
    Please open a support ticket for help with this issue
  • Hi Lloyd,  
    I have found Quick preview to be an amazing solution to RAM intensive projects!

I'm just wondering if there are any limitations to the amount of layers you can add to Quick Preview.  I have a rather complicated Ae project and I have loaded layers into all 4 groups of my Quick Preview window, and I don't seem to be able to add any more layers to my lists.