Text2Spreadsheet
  • Thank  you for this feedback, Lukas!
    I just did a few tests. If you add a text to the essential graphics panel, everything still works as expected. However, if you start using master properties (i.e. use the text from the essential graphics panel as precomp in another comp and then change the text via master property) this is in deed not supported. The reason is that Text2Spreadsheet currently only looks at text layers, but not at precomp layers that might contain master properties.

It is not trivial to add this, but I added it to my list of feature requests and will definitely consider this for future updates.

It may have been adressed before: The script doesn't seem to take Texts from Essential Graphics Panel. Iam working on complex projects and have my Textinserts programmed as on Essential Graphics Template. I hoped that I could extract all texts with that script, but I only got the few texts that I had as normal text layers. Great Script and one great idea! But not for my use case (if im not missing something completely).

• is it support with Hebrew letters?
  • Hi Shahar,

yes, the spreadsheets are encoded as UTF-8, so will work with any characters. We tested with Japanese letters and I am very confident that Hebrew will also work. To be 100% sure, please experiment with the trial version before you purchase.

is it support with Hebrew letters?

• In terms of the ordering on the exported csv file, do I have to manually order the numbers in the layer comments field? Or is there a simpler way to go about this? I am getting spreadsheets with titles seemingly scattered all over the place which makes the translation workflow more difficult.
  • You can change the order right in the spreadsheet. Just make sure you move the IDs in the spreadsheet together with the texts that they belong to.

Example: If you have a spreadsheet

1,my first text
    2,my second text
    3,my third text

and you want the second text to be the very first, just change it to

2,my second text
    1,my first text
    3,my third text

and the import should still work fine with this reordered spreadsheet. In other words, it is not necessary that the numbers in the spreadsheet stay sorted. Best think of the numbers as names or IDs of each text, their order does not matter.

In terms of the ordering on the exported csv file, do I have to manually order the numbers in the layer comments field? Or is there a simpler way to go about this? I am getting spreadsheets with titles seemingly scattered all over the place which makes the translation workflow more difficult.

• Hello Mathias,

I am using Text2spreasheet to help automate creating language versions of some of our motion graphics and everything is working great for Spanish and French. I have hit a snag with Arabic.

Is there a way to use Text2spreadsheet with Arabic?

I have "Arabic Text" which would let me do it one line at a time(which defeats the automation speed gains I am after)

Is there a way for you to work with Salahuddin Taha (Arabic text's author) and update text2spreadsheet to paste Arabic text properly?

I am buying massive amounts of food for all involved.

Happy holidays either way,

James
  • Hi James,

I don't have much experience with Arabic text, but does it maybe already solve the issue if you change the text engine in "Preferences->Type" to "South Asian and Middle Eastern" as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-editing-text-layers.html#expanded_text_support

If I remember correctly, the "Arabic Text" script was only a workaround for older Ae versions that didn't support RTL text, yet.

Hello Mathias,

I am using Text2spreasheet to help automate creating language versions of some of our motion graphics and everything is working great for Spanish and French. I have hit a snag with Arabic.

Is there a way to use Text2spreadsheet with Arabic?

I have "Arabic Text" which would let me do it one line at a time(which defeats the automation speed gains I am after)

Is there a way for you to work with Salahuddin Taha (Arabic text's author) and update text2spreadsheet to paste Arabic text properly?

I am buying massive amounts of food for all involved.

Happy holidays either way,

James

• Mathias,

I have tried switching the engine but the text is imported just as before. All screwed up and backwards. Switching the preference lets you type and create new Arabic text but copy and pasting does not work. The only way I can reliably insert Arabic into any AE project is through the older script. My network of Arabic speaking motion graphic artists is 0 so I don't know any other work arounds to date. Even using the other script is a multi step process for any piece of text. This time adds up when considering a lengthy mograph piece. The goal is to have Text to Spreadsheet automate the massive global swap, and then fine tuning can happen to re-arrange any line breaks or resize the new Arabic words to fit any given frame. 

I know a reply of "it does not work" does not help. I was just hoping to see if this had come up before. The amount of variables does not help either. Is Mac OS the problem, AE, how AE handles text? There is some magic in "Arabic Text" that if combined with your script that would be able to insert the Arabic correctly I am just too stupid to know how to make it work seamlessly. Arabic text and AE has always been VERY buggy and inconsistent. Just selecting a proper Arabic font does not always stick so there are some gremlins deep deep in that code somewhere that need fixing too. 

Thanks for the lightning quick response. Also for all of the hard work on your plugins. They are wonderful. 

James
  • Hi James,

thank you very much for the feedback! This is actually the first request I got about Arabic Text support. Not sure if that means that there is a working solution out there or simply nobody else tried to use Text2Spreadsheet for that, yet.

I've put your explanations now on my list of feature requests and I cannot promise anything, but the next time I start working on an update for Text2Spreadsheet, I will look into that and see if/what I can do. However, I have lots of things on my agenda list and I have no timeline, when the next update for Text2Spreadsheet will come.

Mathias,

I have tried switching the engine but the text is imported just as before. All screwed up and backwards. Switching the preference lets you type and create new Arabic text but copy and pasting does not work. The only way I can reliably insert Arabic into any AE project is through the older script. My network of Arabic speaking motion graphic artists is 0 so I don't know any other work arounds to date. Even using the other script is a multi step process for any piece of text. This time adds up when considering a lengthy mograph piece. The goal is to have Text to Spreadsheet automate the massive global swap, and then fine tuning can happen to re-arrange any line breaks or resize the new Arabic words to fit any given frame. 

I know a reply of "it does not work" does not help. I was just hoping to see if this had come up before. The amount of variables does not help either. Is Mac OS the problem, AE, how AE handles text? There is some magic in "Arabic Text" that if combined with your script that would be able to insert the Arabic correctly I am just too stupid to know how to make it work seamlessly. Arabic text and AE has always been VERY buggy and inconsistent. Just selecting a proper Arabic font does not always stick so there are some gremlins deep deep in that code somewhere that need fixing too. 

Thanks for the lightning quick response. Also for all of the hard work on your plugins. They are wonderful. 

James

• Bonjour,

J'avais une petite question concernant la mise en forme de texte depuis le fichier excel directement, est-il possible de faire de la mise en forme directement dans le fichier excel, comme un texte en gras.

Merci !
  • Hi, first of all, excelent tool!

And now, feature request:
    Would it be possible to somehow automate import for multiple locales?
    I could see it like this:
    1. script would stage current project status
    2. it will import first language/column
    3. save the project with _COLUMN_NAME suffix
    4. revert project
    5. import second....
    ?. finish

Would that be feasible in some upcoming version?
    Thanks!
  • Hi Mickael,

changing formats (like bold) in the excel file will not change the format in the Ae project. This is technically not possible, since scripts cannot set formatting of inidividual parts of a text. That's a limitation of the Ae scripting engine and if Adobe decides to add this functionality in the future, we will consider updating Text2Spreadsheet to make this possible.
    Bonjour,

J'avais une petite question concernant la mise en forme de texte depuis le fichier excel directement, est-il possible de faire de la mise en forme directement dans le fichier excel, comme un texte en gras.

Merci !

• Hi Lala,

this is a very interesting feature request and definitely sounds feasible. I've put it on my list of feature requests now. However, we are very busy with lots of different projects so I cannot promise and and when this will be implemented.

Lala Keke said:
    Hi, first of all, excelent tool!

4. revert project
    5. import second....
    ?. finish

Thanks!

• Hi Lala,

this is a very interesting feature request and definitely sounds feasible. I've put it on my list of feature requests now. However, we are very busy with lots of different projects so I cannot promise and and when this will be implemented.

Lala Keke said:
    Hi, first of all, excelent tool!

4. revert project
    5. import second....
    ?. finish

Thanks!

Many thanks! (and i really mean it)
    Right now we have a client that wants to be localized into 41 locales and its quite tedious and painful .)
  • Mathias,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to add my request to the Text2Spreadsheet development queue. I have a solution that will work for now but I am excited to know that in the future this functionality might be included in a refreshed script. I am more than willing to pay for an upgrade. I will also make sure we purchase the licenses necessary to roll it out across our team so that we can all work smarter and not harder.
    Spreadsheets will never be sexy but god are they useful! Thank you again for creating such useful tools for designers like me who have not figured out how to write elegant code yet.
    be well,
    James

Hi James,

thank you very much for the feedback! This is actually the first request I got about Arabic Text support. Not sure if that means that there is a working solution out there or simply nobody else tried to use Text2Spreadsheet for that, yet.

I've put your explanations now on my list of feature requests and I cannot promise anything, but the next time I start working on an update for Text2Spreadsheet, I will look into that and see if/what I can do. However, I have lots of things on my agenda list and I have no timeline, when the next update for Text2Spreadsheet will come.

• This is a great script Mathias!

I have a question that may be a feature request as i cannot see a way to do this. 

In testing the spreadsheet generation, i indecently ended up making new id's overtime so the numbers got higher and higher. Is there away of starting fresh from 1. I want a clean run of numbers for the spreadsheet i give to my client. I had to do a few tests to clear out trailing spaces and also noticed some issues that meant changing how the text was set up. I'd love to now just make a new spreadsheet with the numbers starting from 1. 

Alternatively I'm not sure if there is a way to mass remove comments from layers in after effects instead. 

Cheers, 

• Hi Andy,

in the export options of Text2Spreadsheet you can choose to preserve IDs if a text already has an ID. That way, new exports should only add new IDs if you actually added new texts to the project.

I really hesitate to offer an option to start fresh, because I fear people will not think about the consequences. Say you export some file spreadsheedV1.csv and save your project as projectV1.aep. Then you change something in the project, export with fresh IDs to a file spreadsheetV2.csv and save your project as projectV2.aep. If in V2 the IDs are not the same (say V1 used IDs 1...50, so V2 starts with 51), then any attempt to import projectV1.csv into projectV2.aep will result in a meaningful error message - none of the texts in the spreadsheet belong to this project. But if I use the same IDs, there will be no error. Even worse: Say the only change you did in V2 is you deleted the text layer with ID 48. Then all texts with IDs 1...47 are correct but what was ID 49 in V1 is now ID 48 in V2. So at first sight it looks like the import worked, no error, almost all comps look 100% correct but a few text layers (namely 48 and 49) simply use the wrong texts.

In other words: I make sure Text2Spreadsheet does not allow you to mess things up. I see that it looks cleaner to have IDs start at 1. But think of this as a safety mechanisms: spreadsheets starting with higher numbers indicate that you had previous exports of the project and that importing this file will (and should!) not work with previous versions of the project.

Think of the IDs not as as a simple numbering, but as truly unique names. Also when you talk to your clients, it is better when you can say "take a look at text 108" than saying "take a look at the text that was 49 in the first export and 48 in the second one".
    Does this make sense?

Cheers,
    Mathias
    This is a great script Mathias!

I have a question that may be a feature request as i cannot see a way to do this. 

In testing the spreadsheet generation, i indecently ended up making new id's overtime so the numbers got higher and higher. Is there away of starting fresh from 1. I want a clean run of numbers for the spreadsheet i give to my client. I had to do a few tests to clear out trailing spaces and also noticed some issues that meant changing how the text was set up. I'd love to now just make a new spreadsheet with the numbers starting from 1. 

Alternatively I'm not sure if there is a way to mass remove comments from layers in after effects instead. 

Cheers, 

• Update: I just saw that someone already asked this in July 2019. Sorry, should have read the other comments first, before posting this.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Over  the years, Text2Spreadsheet has become very important for our workflow.
    Now, another feature of AE that we use a lot are "essential properties".
    • Create a template comp, for let's say an animated label.
    • Add source text of the text layer to essential graphics
    • Place this template comp in another composition
    • Change the the text via essential properties
    • Repeat this for many new appearances of this template label
    If you export with the Text2Spreadsheet, it only exports the text of the original label template, but not all its appearances. Which makes sense as the script probably only looks at the source text property of text layers, and the essential property is not on a text layer, but on a composition.

Is there any chance that it will be possible in the future to include texts that are in the essential property?
    If not, than we will have to find another way to get these texts in a spreadsheet. Any ideas here are also welcome.

Thank you,
    Sam

• Hi Sam,

this is a very good feature request, and actually already on my list of feature requests that I will consider for the next update.

In the mean time: My upcoming tool Automation Blocks is currently in private beta testing phase. It also has tools to import and export texts from Ae to a spreadsheet and works with essential properties. If you want to join the beta, please send me an email to [email protected]

Cheers,
    Mathias

Update: I just saw that someone already asked this in July 2019. Sorry, should have read the other comments first, before posting this.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Over  the years, Text2Spreadsheet has become very important for our workflow.
    Now, another feature of AE that we use a lot are "essential properties".
    • Create a template comp, for let's say an animated label.
    • Add source text of the text layer to essential graphics
    • Place this template comp in another composition
    • Change the the text via essential properties
    • Repeat this for many new appearances of this template label
    If you export with the Text2Spreadsheet, it only exports the text of the original label template, but not all its appearances. Which makes sense as the script probably only looks at the source text property of text layers, and the essential property is not on a text layer, but on a composition.

Is there any chance that it will be possible in the future to include texts that are in the essential property?
    If not, than we will have to find another way to get these texts in a spreadsheet. Any ideas here are also welcome.

Thank you,
    Sam

• Hi. 
    Just sat down and started to play aroudn with your script. First impression ios that it seems to be working great. 
    Got one question though.....

Is it possible to change it so that the ID is on Columns instead of Rows ?
    We are about to do a huge book fair and probable have 150-200 lower thirds to make. 
    Having then in the layout as it is now makes the document itself so difficult to handle. 
    Just to be perfercly clear I´ve posted to soem examples below.  

So this is how it is now:
    IDoriginal textVarient 1Varient 2Varient 3
    1Name hereNiklas HumlaNiklas BerngstonLisa Bergholm
    2Title for workMarkandansvarigCEOManaging Director
    3Companycoca colaVolvo Cards ABLilla bruket

This is how i would want it:
    ID123
    original textName hereTitle for workCompany
    Varient 1Niklas HumlaMarkandansvarigcoca cola
    Varient 2Niklas BerngstonCEOVolvo Cards AB
    Varient 3Lisa BergholmManaging DirectorLilla bruket

• Hi Frederik,
    no, Text2Spreadsheet does not have such a feature, but you can transpose the spreadsheet with the spreadsheet application of your choice.
    Just make sure to transpose it a second time before you import it with Text2Spreadsheet, such that it is back at its original format.
    Hi. 
    Just sat down and started to play aroudn with your script. First impression ios that it seems to be working great. 
    Got one question though.....

Is it possible to change it so that the ID is on Columns instead of Rows ?
    We are about to do a huge book fair and probable have 150-200 lower thirds to make. 
    Having then in the layout as it is now makes the document itself so difficult to handle. 
    Just to be perfercly clear I´ve posted to soem examples below.  

So this is how it is now:
    IDoriginal textVarient 1Varient 2Varient 3
    1Name hereNiklas HumlaNiklas BerngstonLisa Bergholm
    2Title for workMarkandansvarigCEOManaging Director
    3Companycoca colaVolvo Cards ABLilla bruket

This is how i would want it:
    ID123
    original textName hereTitle for workCompany
    Varient 1Niklas HumlaMarkandansvarigcoca cola
    Varient 2Niklas BerngstonCEOVolvo Cards AB
    Varient 3Lisa BergholmManaging DirectorLilla bruket

• Hello, 
    Thanks for this great script.
    I have a lot of videos to process, and for each of them export texts, and then import them back translated.
    I d like to know if i could use your script to mass export texts, and then upload them back in AE with the help of a Python script for instance, instead of doing this manually. 
    Do you think that is possible?
    Thank you
  • Hi Samy,
    some of our tools have scripting APIs such that they can be  used by other scripts, but Text2Spreadsheet is not one of them, unfortunately. Therefore, you can only use it manually.

samy sam said:
    Hello, 
    Thanks for this great script.
    I have a lot of videos to process, and for each of them export texts, and then import them back translated.
    I d like to know if i could use your script to mass export texts, and then upload them back in AE with the help of a Python script for instance, instead of doing this manually. 
    Do you think that is possible?
    Thank you

• Hi,

This script looks like it could be very useful, do you also have a similar tool for Premiere Pro?
    Thanks in advance,

F
  • Hello. I have been using the plug in to translate educational videos and it has been working very well. But this week an error appeared that I cannot solve: I have already generated the spreadsheet and performed the translation, the problem is when I import the spreadsheet into After Effects again, it gives me the following error message: Error: XML error in line 156 - Entity parsing error.
    I checked the XML with Visual Studio Code, and on line 156 there doesn't seem to be any error. I did a test by modifying the content of the line and when I load the spreadsheet into After Effects again, it gives me the same error but on another line. And so, the problem continues.
    Since I haven't had problems with other After projects, I'm starting to suspect it may be a problem with the project? Thanks for your help.
  • Does it work if you export the file as .csv instead of .xml in your spreadsheet application? If this does not help, could you please open a support ticket and attach both your After Effects project (no footage needed, just the aep) and the spreadsheet?
    You can open tickets here:

Hello. I have been using the plug in to translate educational videos and it has been working very well. But this week an error appeared that I cannot solve: I have already generated the spreadsheet and performed the translation, the problem is when I import the spreadsheet into After Effects again, it gives me the following error message: Error: XML error in line 156 - Entity parsing error.
    I checked the XML with Visual Studio Code, and on line 156 there doesn't seem to be any error. I did a test by modifying the content of the line and when I load the spreadsheet into After Effects again, it gives me the same error but on another line. And so, the problem continues.
    Since I haven't had problems with other After projects, I'm starting to suspect it may be a problem with the project? Thanks for your help.