MochaImport+ V5

• imageMochaImport+ V5

Simplifies the workflow between mocha and After Effects. More precisely, it helps you send your footage to mocha and then to apply the mocha tracking data back in After Effects in whatever way you want.

https://aescripts.com/mochaimport/

• Upgraded for v5 , thanks for the deal & the great plugin.
  • You are welcome :-)
  • I have version 3 and I'd like to upgrade to the new version.  It looks like there's a deal if you owned a previous version but I'm not able to do that.  I love your product and would love to upgrade.  Is it possible to get it at the discount price?  Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks,

Mike

• Hi Michael,
    you just need to login with your aescripts customer account at:
    https://aescripts.com/customer/account/login/
    and then you should see the discounted price $14.99 at the product page:
    https://aescripts.com/mochaimport

If this does not work, please open a support ticked at
    https://aescripts.com/contact/

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Thanks Mathias.  I contacted them.  I've been following you since the beginning.  It's amazing to see how far you've come.  Congrats!

-Mike
  • I upgraded to V5 and I'm puzzled/disappointed to find that the "keep current frame in place" option on the Corner Pin option is gone. I use MochaImport a lot for doing things like logo removals using clean plates, and found this option to be a lifesaver when tracking in PSD cleanplates. Is there a workaround in v5?
  • Hi Mel,

if your clean plate has the same size as the footage, you have two options:
    a) in mocha, go to the frame of your clean plate and use the “align selected surfaces” button (see first attached picture) to make the corner pin region the same size as the clip.
    b) use in MochaImport+ the corner pin with expressions instead of keyframes and on the one keyframe that is generated for the corner pin, select all four corners, right click and choose “reset” (as shown in second picture).

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I thought the “keep current frame” option would no longer be necessary and only confuse people, since they can move their surface with the expression-based corner pin wherever they want (solution b). But I see that for clean plates it is very convenient to have it built-in. I will think about whether I can add a checkbox “keep current frame” (which will then probably work with all corner pins, not just RG warp :)

Cheers,
    Mathias

align_selected_surfaces_button.jpg
    2010 x 1118 - 141K
    reset_corners_to_fullscreen.jpg
    2016 x 788 - 100K
  • Hey Mathias,

I downloaded the script and I love it but I'm getting this error message when I try stabilized precomp. It says Reference error at line 1 of...I can send you a screenshot with the full error message if you like.  Thanks.

-Mike
  • Hi Michael,

I just got another report about this issue today. It looks like the stabilized precomp with transform data is broken. Please make sure to use corner pin data for now (which is more accurate anyway, since it includes the perspective change).
    I will fix it with the next free update that will be released soon.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Did the Shrink-X, Shrink-Y part of Stabilized Precomp with Red Giant Warp get taken out? If so that is a bummer because I use that a ton for the kind of cleanup work I do.

Is it possible to add it back in?
  • Hi Dustin, yes the Shrink controls are gone since I thought they are not necessary anymore:
    By using the "live expressions instead of keyframes" feature, you can freely adjust the stabilized precomp as you like.
    With RG warp, you can also use the scale parameters of the "Reposition" section of the RG warp effect in the main comp. They work exactly like the Shrink-X and Shrink-Y. If you want to have these controls inside the precomp, you can create two sliders inside the precomp and link them to the scale parameters of the Reposition Section of the RG Warp. But I personally prefer to open the main comp and precomp in two comp viewers side by side and then adjust the corner pin region in the main comp.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hi Mathias -

MochaImport is by far my favorite tool for AE. I use it almost every single day.

But I will add another vote for putting the Shrink-X and Shrink-Y controls back into the stabilized precomp. As far as I can see, they are slightly different than using the scale tool. When I use Scale, I am not bringing any more of the original comp into my pre-comp. When I used your controls, I could track an iPhone screen (which is tall and skinny) and then shrink it to the proper aspect ratio in my comp. I could also work on blending the edges more by shrinking it a little extra and having more room to blend my added elements into the original footage.

I'm not sure if I'm saying this clearly, but I am going back to MochaImport (instead of MochaImport+) because of this feature now.

Thanks again for a great plugin.
    Oren
  • Hi Oren,
    thank you very much for the feedback. It is really important for me to know what functionality you need to make my tools useful for you. I will think about the details and see how I can bring back that function in some update :-)
  • Hi Dustin, Oren and everybody else who voted to bring back the POV controls to the RG Warp stabilized precomp.
    I just released MochaImport+ V5.102 which again contains the POV controls sliders.

In addition to the feature from V4, you can now not just fine-tune the scale, but also a position offset.

• Hey Mathias, just saw this. Really appreciate it! That's exciting. And really appreciate you being active in the discussion and the quick reacting to feedback. Really awesome!
  • I've got another workflow thought for something that I tend to have to do lot with the kind of cleanup work I'm often doing..

I'm curious, since you have an in depth knowledge of the inner working of the RGWrap plugin, if there would be some slick or clever way to be able to quickly and easily define the area that you want to be within the bounds of the corner pin, without distorting the underlying image until your pins are set.

That's probably a bit confusing, but here is how I would use it -- For the cleanup I do, I'm very often having to track a shot in mocha or something, and then taking freeze frames of various area and tracking them over other areas, but then sometimes needing to tweak the distortion animation by hand for various reasons. It's sometimes difficult to do if the piece I'm patching in is small in the frame, but my corner pin corners are further out in the comp. When I move the corners the patch moves in weird and unexpected ways.

Of course I know there is a way in RG Warp to define where the corners are and then distort from there, by setting the FROM pins, and then copy/pasting that data for every field into the TO pins, and then distorting from there.

Was just thinking yesterday how slick and fast it could be if I could draw on a shape, similar to the Region of Interest shape, and then instantly be corner pinning.

Specifically, this functionality would be handy alongside the "Keep Current Frame in Place" option (which is awesome), because when doing that, the Corner Pins are far out at the corners of the composition instead of close in by the inserted element, which makes any manual tweaking for drift or perspective really difficult.

Just a thought. Thanks for the awesome tools Mathias!
  • One last thought, (sorry to plug the comments)....

I noticed that in the RGWarp "Keep Current Frame" behavior, it's now only available if use "Live Expression instead of Keyframes" is enabled.

Yesterday I was running into some issues with this. I was working on something, and I'm not sure what I was doing but it happened to me 5 or 6 times, but randomly the expressions in the RGWrap would error out somehow and I would lose my tracking information. I tried to undo, but there is no undo for expressions, so I ended up having to redo my corner pin work several times, as it happened multiple times. 

Sometimes the expressions would disappear when I was trying to animate a slight mesh warp on top of the corner pin, but sometimes it did it just trying to tweak position and scale slightly.

I thought I would be clever and just toggle off the expressions when creating the corner pin, as I didn't really need them, but that's when I saw that the Keep Current Frame in Place disappears when Live Expressions aren't active. 

For cases such as that, I would put in a vote to allow the option like before, to Keep Current Frame in Place with keyframes as well.

Thanks!
  • Hi Dustin,
    I don't understand 100% what you want to do, but does this help:
    You can create a Red Giant Warp corner pin effect manually (or any other corner pin effect), place the corners in the current frame where you want them to be, select the four corners and use MochaImport+'s "move properties" function to move the corner pin corners. This is like a "keep current frame" that has the four corners where you want them to be.

Concerning the expressions issue, I would really like to figure out what makes the expressions break. Could you please open a support ticket here
    and attach a screenshot of the error message? Also it is crucial for me to know when the expression breaks and if you find any situation in which you can reproduce the error. The ideal case would be a a sample project + description of the steps I have to do to make the error occur.

If the expressions do not break immediately when they are created, but only later, you could also try to convert the expressions into keyframes (AE menu animation->keyframe assistant->convert expression to keyframes). It could also be that the expression only breaks at very specific frames. This can give you the feeling that it breaks randomly, but actually it breaks when you go to a specific, somehow problematic frame. The more details I know, the faster I will be able to fix this.
  • Oh wow, I didn't even realize the new Move Properties function. That's awesome, and yes, it does sound like they may give me what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Looks like there are also a bunch of other handy uses for that as well.

Concerning the expression breaking, I'll pay attention to if it happens again and I'll try to reproduce it and get you the project file. 

In the meantime, I also didn't realize there was already the convert to keyframes function, so I'll use that if I run into issues.

Thanks for the awesome tools and the awesome feedback!

You should know that because of Mocha, and your companion tools, I have some Flame guys that I work with wishing they had certain features. 
  • Yes, the new Move Properties function is pretty powerful - in particular since it can also move mask shapes. :-)
  • Here's a question for you Mathias...

I was wondering if you had an idea about a solution to this. I often times will use your Stabilized Precomp functionality in order to create a stabilized comp where I can place things that are supposed to have there own physics separate from the track, like say for instance a spurt of blood from a Particular Emitter, or a plume of smoke. 

If you just track the plate, and then use that data to move the emitter, your physics of the particles coming from the emitter won't be right, because it will also be moving around based on the camera movement. 

So what I do is I use the Stabilized Precomp to create a locked down comp that I can do my emitters in. What I was hoping you might have an idea for Mathias is, how can I bring tracking data in from mocha, and have it work properly within my Stabilized Precomp?

Obviously if I track something in Mocha and bring it to AE, it is connected only to the plate, but within the Stabilized Precomp it will be off. Is there a way that I can invert the tracking data somehow, so that it will still track to the object I'm trying to track, but WITHIN the Stabilized Precomp?

I almost thought I had it when I copied the Mocha Track Null that is created with Stabilized Precomp, and brought it into the StabComp and moved the position data to the anchor point data. That actually worked on the first shot I tried. But, the whole thing broke down when my track involved scaling and rotation. 

What do you think? I can explain better elsewhere if necessary and not plug up the comments here.

Thanks Mathias!
  • Hi Mathias

I have AE CS6, should I bother with the newest update as it seems to be cosmetic and AE CC related?

Cheers Mate

Mike
  • @Mike: On CS6, the update makes no difference. It does not hurt to install it, but it is not necessary.

@Dustin: Do get the "remaining motion" inside of the precomp requires some complex math in the general case with shear and perspective motion. It is really interesting to hear that you would need such a functionality. I thought about adding something similar for bringing masks from the main comp to a precomp but then thought it is a special, rarely needed thing that will add a lot of complexity to the user interface.
    The best thing you can do currently is to render your precomp and track it in mocha. Except for the rendering, it won't add a lot of work: You need 2 tracks anyway (one for the precomp itself and one for the object that moves inside the precomp).Hence, it does not matter too much whether you do two tracks in the main comp or one in the main comp and one in the precomp.

Cheers,
    Mathias

• Hey Mathias,

On a machine I'm working on, I'm using After Effects CC 2014 and when I use the latest version of Mocha Import it gives me an error that Mocha must be launched from within After Effects. Any idea why that would be?
  • Hi Dustin,
    in the settings of MochaImport+ you can choose the version of AE that you want to work with.
    Is this set to "mocha AE CC 13.x" or to "system default program" ? With the (default) option "mocha AE CC 13.x" it should work, but I guess you have set it to "system default program" and the system default program for .mocha files is somehow configured wrong in your OS. If this does not help, please open a support ticket at https://aescripts.com/contact/ with details about the issue.
  • Hmm, yeah I've tried both options and I get the error. I've also tried making sure that .mocha files point to the right version of Mocha and that didn't do it either. For the moment I'm just using AE CC 2015 and the corresponding Mocha AE CC which is working for now.

One an unrelated note, one issue I'm running into with the newest Mocha Import is that when using the Stabilized Precomp with RG Corner pin, I used to be able to take that comp and Precomp so that I can move further down the chain and have it collapsed down.

Now when I try to precomp the layer with the RG Corner Pin, it breaks the expressions and gives me expression errors.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the layer naming and how the expression is pointing to which layers in which comp. Is there a way around this, so I can take my layers that have been Stab-Precomped and precompose them?
  • I just did some tests with precomposing a stabilized precomp and it worked for me. Could you please open a support ticket and describe exactly what you precomp (precomp layer in the main comp or undistorted layer inside the precomp) and with which options (move attributes,...)?
    Also, please let me know which expression breaks.
  • I'll do some tests on my end and see what happens and get back to you. Maybe I was just doing something wrong.
  • Hi Mathias,

I have bought the Mochaimport and Masktracker scripts which are excellent. I just have a quick question. I have mocha ae which comes with CS6 and was wondering if it's worth upgrading to mocha plus 4? Your scripts seem to make the process between AE and mocha easy and was wondering if there are any real benefits to upgrading. I don't currently do too much tracking but this could change depending on the job.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mike 
  • Hi Mike,

if you just want to use mocha for planar tracking with AE, MochaImport+ gives you probably all you need. If you also need 3d tracks from time to time, the 3d camera solver of mocha Plus might be worth the upgrade. Also, another highlight is that you can import mocha Plus masks directly in Premiere Pro.
  • Hi Mathias,
    First of all, I'm sorry for my english and I'll try to explain my problem as well as I can.

I use the last version of mocha import with after effects CC 15. When I try to load my tracking data in after effects from mocha with RG corner pin, it doesn't work.
    I have one key frame for each corner, it seems to be the expression but nothing happened. My layer doesn't move.

Thanks for the answer.
  • Hi Mohammed,
    please open a support ticket at
    and describe the issue as detailed as possible. Best attach some screenshots or maybe even the project itself. Did you get any error message? Does it work if you apply the tracking data with the option "Live expressions instead of keyframes" disabled? Is the expression active (numbers for the corner points shown in red instead of yellow)? The more details I know, the quicker I will be able to help.
  • thank you very much Mathias.
    I opened a support ticket and I sent you my aep so you can understand more easily what I meant.

• Hands down, one of the best purchases I have EVER made on aescripts. This is an INCREDIBLE tool and time saver.

Thank you so so much Mathias.
  • Thank you, Andrew :-)
  • Thanks Mathias,

Really appreciate your time and opinion.
  • Hi there, 
    I have been using MochaImport and i love it!
    I searched for answer to my only questions and couldn't find any info so i'm asking it here.

When i use mochaimport with a region that is not 16:9 i get a stabilized precomp that is forced to 16:9. Everything is stretched to fit that 16:9 comp window. 
    How do i make it so the stabilized precomp matches the aspect and isn't distroted?
    Thank you for your help!

• Hi Eric,
    Instead of changing the aspect ratio of the precomp, you can adjust the corners of the region that you want to see inside the precomp.
    With MochaImport+ V5 you can change this region easily, if you have the option "live expressions instead of keyframes" selected.
    See at about 1:30 in this tutorial:
    http://mamoworld.com/tutorials/mochaimport-ae-mini-tutorial-5-stabilized-precomp
    With this, you can simply change the corner pin region until the content inside your precomp is not distorted anymore.
  • Hi.. I love your script but... I still need to work with interlaced footage and there is a big problem when I start tracking through your script because mocha project is not interlaced and when I try to change a clip properties i does not change a project fields so I have to create a new project where I define a fields and then I have to overwrite your project that I can access it inside AE. Is there any way how I can easily track interlaced footage or at least the way I can change a mocha project from no fields to interlaced (only change clip settings does not change a project settings) .. Thanks for help..
  • Hi Branislav,
    you are right, Interlaced footage is currently not supported properly when sending clips from AE to mocha. The best thing you can do currently, is to send the clip from AE to mocha without MochaImport+ (using the AE menu command Animation->Track in mocha AE). You can still use MochaImport+ for importing the tracking data from this project and it will also deal with the interlaced tracking data correctly on import.

• Can this script be installed on more than one computer?
  • Hi Ken,
    it is ok to use it on two machines as long as they are both yours and are not used simultaneously.

For parallel use on more than one machine by different persons, also note that we have volume discounts when you purchase several licenses simultaneously.
  • Hello Mathias,
    I am interesting in learning how to use track on the AE. I am using the MochaImport+ and it is real GREAT to use with Mocha and AE.  I have problem with my AE.  I watched your tutorial video called "Futuristic Finger Screen Part 1 - Corner Pin with mocha ".  I followed your tutorial video well but your video showed that you copy two script from "Right corner pin left" to RG Corner PIn - Upper Left under Black Solid screen. and then I was doing on second like "Lower corner pin left", but After Effect got crashed.  I tried and tried with being carefully, but no successfully.   My AE is new version as AE CC 2015 and Red Giant Corner Pin with new version 1.1.   I know your tutorial video had old version.   What can I do in correct way with new version?  Did I make wrong way to copy/paste the expressions script?  Please take a look at the attached image that I tried to open the expressions for trying to copying.  it got stuck then crash.
    Hope you can help me out.  I am very interesting to make video with special effects.
    Thank you.
    Curtis Watson
    Lubbock, Texas U.S.A.
    AE warning message.PNG
    1029 x 748 - 360K
  • @Curtis: If you want to copy and paste the keyframe data, I recommend that you disable the option "Live expressions instead of keyframes" when you generate the corner pin. Does this make a difference?
  • It's working perfect!  Thank you!!  I am learning a lot of them!
    Curtis.
  • Hi Mathias

I'm having problems with the Mocha Tracking bundle.  I am using a trial to test the software.  I'm using AE CS5.5.  When I create the mask layers for tracking in AE, I then load Mocha Import+ and then track in Mocha button.  I select all layers to layer 1 and then continue.  When Mocha loads, there is a black background (no original clip from my AE) with the blue outlines of the masks.  Nothing seems to work, even if I click on the timeline and move the timeline back and forth (i.e the blue mask lines do not move). Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Please help.

Thanks

Jay
  • Hi Jay,
    this looks like the video file type you are using is not supported by your mocha version. The support for different file formats got much better for mocha over time, but they do not support all file formats that AE supports. Also, the version that is bundled with CS5.5 supports less file formats than the current version.
    The best option is usually to convert your video file into an image sequence (jpg, tiff or png images) or use a prores quicktime. Note that you can first start using a compressed jpeg image sequence and once you are finished tracking, you can replace the jpg image sequence in your AE project again by the original file such that you don't loose quality with the additional compression of the jpgs.
  • Mathias thank you for the swift reply.  Your method works perfectly.  Thank you so much :)
  • Big problems with mocha 5 !  Please . . Fix It !

Error in getMacMochaBinary: more than one binary found in

/Applications/mocha Pro.app/Contents/MacOS

Options are:
    mochaexport.py
    mochapro
    mocharender.py
  • @Gabriel Mongardi: Thank you for reporting this. I just uploaded MochaImport+ v5.106 which fixes this issue.