beat assistant
  • Hi Mathias,

I just bought Beat Assistant - looks really good and I'm looking forward to using it.

I tried a first piece of music and did an auto detect but the BMP was way out (198.1 instead of 130). Is the auto detect hit and miss with certain music? Is there any way to make this more accurate? The piece has a good strong beat.

Many thanks,

Paul.

• Hi Paul,

beat detection is always guessing. What helps a lot is a good quality audio file. Mp3 is much harder to detect than wav files, the less compressed it is, the easier it is for the beat detection.

If you know the bpm, you can of course also enter it manually.
    Also, sometimes, beat assistant seems to be way of (say 168 instead of 84), but the animations look still very good (as its in this case just twice the correct bpm). What I want to say is that  Beat Assistant sometimes might find a "signal" that looks good, but is not the correct bpm.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Thanks Mathias,

It was a wav file but I guess the technology used to detect the beats found it difficult with this file. The vast majority of our music is from a well known library and always has info like BPM etc, so i'll manually enter for the next projects.

Cheers,

Paul.

• Beat assistant is not detect rhythm of song like that
  • Hi Khuntan,
    the more detailed you describe your problem, the easier it is for me to help you.
    In general, see my answer above: beat detection is always guessing. What helps a lot is a good quality
    audio file. Mp3 is much harder to detect than wav files, the less
    compressed it is, the easier it is for the beat detection.
    Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hello
    I have a little suggestion to make the product evolve and it will be a great help for me ;-). I would like to be able to tap my own rhythm with the markers and then to automatically apply them to  value like you do with your automatic detection. In some music he will let me have a human action to the beat.
    Thank you
    Alex
  • Hi Alexandre,
    thank you for your suggestion!
    What you can do something like this already today with the Audio iExpressions bundle. Take a look in particular at the "Beat Detector From Marker" iExpression:

While Beat Assistant is great for a very regular and precise movement to the beat, Audio iExpressions are better for less regular, fuzzy animation to the music.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • I am using Beat Assistant to track beats with 40 different .psd layers by using "staggering". After the .psd photographs are staggered, I have to trim the part of the .psd layer that has to be removed to see the layer below. I can do this by moving the time indicator to the next layer and slice the .psd manually so the next photo on the layer below it can be seen. Is there a way to make this happen automatically? There is no in and out of the layers. It is as simple as importing 40 .psd files, stagger the layers to the beat, trim layer to view the next layer below, then go on to the next layer and repeat the process. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • Hi David,
    I would do it as follows:
    1. generate markers for the beat
    2. add the layers to the timeline
    3. change the duration of all layers such that they start at the first marker and end at the second marker
    4. stagger the layers

It is easier to change the duration before staggering, because then you can do it for all of them simultaneously.

Cheers,

Mathias

• Thank you so much for your quick response! It was the perfect solution for handling nearly a thousand images in a DVD production! The script is a wonder to behold!
  • Thank you, David :-)
  • Hi,

I'm only getting beat markers every 4 beats. Not on the actual beat. I'm using Beat Assistant on the first beat to generate markers. I've got a 146.9 bpm.

Can you please advise.

Thanks

• Hi Liam,
    Beat Assistant has a dropdown list where you can choose whether you generate markers for every beat, every second beat etc. Did you ensure that this dropdown (directly left of the "generate markers" button) is set to "every beat"?
  • I'm using a mac.  I'm getting into this script and I like a lot.  One thing I'm not sure if it's just for Mac users....The Keyframes tab.  The dropdown type for COLOR.  I can't click the RGB color box to open a separate window for color selection.  I have to manually type in the RGB # values which is kind of annoying.  Is this something I'm not understanding or is it a bug?
  • Hi Adam,
    I just tried it an can reproduce the issue on my machine. I guess it is a bug introduced with some AE update. I will see what I can do.
    Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Latest version causes AE 2017 to hang when Beat Assistant is launched.
  • Hi Tobias,
    on first startup, BeatEdit needs to create some files necessary to perform the beat detection. It looks like this process got a bit slower on 2017. Please just be patient and wait a few minutes. It will only be on the very first start. Once the files exist, BeatEdit won't need to create them a second time.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Hi, Mathias. 

BeatEdit is hanging and crashing everytime I load it up on AE CC2015 on my Mac.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Mark
  • Hi Mark,
    could you please open a support ticket here:
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
    with as many details as possible (how did you install it? Did the installer say it needed a custom install? Do you have any antivirus software running? Does it work if you disable the antivirus temporarily? Any error message? When exactly does it crash? Does only the extension crash or also Premiere? Can you send a screenshot of how the crash looks like? When you launch the tool or when you open an audio file?)

The more details I know, the quicker and better I will be able to help.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Delete..comment in error.
  • to buy only for this example and sample video how can i do
     I could not find the tutorial video for this link 

• Hi Kaplan,
    I don't have a video tutorial for this, but I achieved the effect as follows:
    1) enable time remapping (see https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/time-stretching-time-remapping.html)
    2) use BeatAssistant's Tab "Keyframes" to generate keyframes on the time remapping property:
    - type: 1D value
    - mode: add to original value
    - experiment with different values until it looks good

• please just have a little tutorial video ready for this effect, I really very want please please please 
    best regards
    kaplan

• Hi Kaplan,
    I will put it on my list of tutorial ideas but I cannot promise anything.
  • I could not do it somehow, please send the training videos please 

• Hi Kaplan,
    good news: I did a tutorial about this effect. It will be published in a few weeks. If you want to see it already now, please subscribe to our newsletter:
    https://mamoworld.com/subscribe
    In the newsletter we share the tutorials already before they are released. You will find the tutorial in the most recent newsletter in the newsletter archive.
  • I would like to adapt the video back and forth with the music as in the example
    best regards
    Kaplan

• Then you can do what is described in the tutorial and change the following:
    - use "change at marker 1D" iExpression instead of "Increment at marker"
    - add a second keyframe at the end of time remapping to make the video constantly move forward a bit.
  • @Kaplan: Did you watch the tutorial in the newsletter? I am not sure what else you want to know.

• where is watch the tutorial in the newsletter? I couldnt find it , send link please
  • where is watch the tutorial in the newsletter? I couldnt find it , send link please
    Here is the direct link to the video:

• YOU ARE GOOD MAN , THANK YOU VERY VERY THANK YOU 
  • Hi Mathias (GOOD MAN!) ,
    just a note: thalictrum is shut down, so i found it very hard to get a (older) working lame mac installer in the net (finally found it here on cnet, crossing my fingers that this is a healthy version). I wasn't able to compile the newest 3.100 version from soundforge for the mac. And there seems to be no compiled version out there.
    Cheers 

Hi again, 
    i added the link. 
     And i experienced another bug at least on my machine: beat assistant lets AE crash if you have Ä Ü Ö (Umlaute) in your Audio Filename.
    Greetings
  • Hi Valentin,
    I am really sorry that mp3 support is such a pain - I would love to have this build-in without external apps, which is not possible due to licensing / patent issues. Can you send me the link to the cnet version such that I can update the documentation?

Hi Mathias (GOOD MAN!) ,
    just a note: thalictrum is shut down, so i found it very hard to get a (older) working lame mac installer in the net (finally found it on cnet, crossing my fingers that this is a healthy version). I wasn't able to compile the newest 3.100 version from soundforge for the mac. And there seems to be no compiled version out there.
    Cheers