Cloners + Effectors
  • Type error: Undefined is not an object! Please help! 
    Hi Catalin

I would love to help you.
    Please open a support ticket here: https://aescripts.com/contact/
    And give me a little more info:
    Is this the first time you use the plugin? Did you just install it?
    Which features in the plugin are you using? Can you describe the problem more in depth?

Thanks,
    Jakob
  • Hi,

Downloaded this a couple of days ago - liking it a lot so far. A couple of questions:

1) Is there a text manual? It's easier to search for answers than looking at videos.
    2) How can I duplicate a cloner and it's effector in a timeline easily? i.e. I have the same style animation (with slight variations) at different points on the timeline and I'd like to duplicate the cloner and effector combined and tweak the properties at each instance. I can do it at the moment by dupicating cloner, then the effector and copying and pasting keyframes but wondering if there's a quicker workflow?
  • Hi,

Downloaded this a couple of days ago - liking it a lot so far. A couple of questions:

1) Is there a text manual? It's easier to search for answers than looking at videos.
    2) How can I duplicate a cloner and it's effector in a timeline easily? i.e. I have the same style animation (with slight variations) at different points on the timeline and I'd like to duplicate the cloner and effector combined and tweak the properties at each instance. I can do it at the moment by dupicating cloner, then the effector and copying and pasting keyframes but wondering if there's a quicker workflow?

Hi,

To be clear, when I shift duplicate the Cloner I get an error message: 'ReferenceError: Function adjustClonerSettingsLayout is undefined' - not sure if that's preventing the affector being duplicated as well.
  • Hi,

Hi,

To be clear, when I shift duplicate the Cloner I get an error message: 'ReferenceError: Function adjustClonerSettingsLayout is undefined' - not sure if that's preventing the affector being duplicated as well.
    Hi Robert

I'm happy you like it.
    1. No. At current time the videos are basically the manual.
    2. That seems to be a bug. Thank you for submitting it. I will revisit the duplicate functionality and get this corrected.

Let me know if you find any other bugs or have more questions.

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
  • Hi,

Hi,

Hi Robert

I'm happy you like it.
    2. That seems to be a bug. Thank you for submitting it. I will revisit the duplicate functionality and get this corrected.

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
    Hi Jakob,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly - been working my way through the videos nicely. I'm getting another error when trying to adjust an existing cloner - 'ReferenceError: Function sourceLayer is undefined'. What I suspect is that I moved the cloner into a pre-comp which is messing up the layer referencing. Could this be it? :-)
  • Hi,

Hi,

Hi Robert

I'm happy you like it.

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
    Hi Jakob,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly - been working my way through the videos nicely. I'm getting another error when trying to adjust an existing cloner - 'ReferenceError: Function sourceLayer is undefined'. What I suspect is that I moved the cloner into a pre-comp which is messing up the layer referencing. Could this be it? :-)
    Hi

When you precomp a cloner setup you need to untoggle the shy button first. Then make sure you select all layers related to that cloner, including the sourcelayers they are name "source1, source2 etc."
    Let me know if that is not the case. You can also open a support ticket and include  the project.

- Jakob
  • Getting this error in Adobe CC 2019

Unable to execute script at line 9. null is not an object
  • Getting this error in Adobe CC 2019

Unable to execute script at line 9. null is not an object
    Hi Casey

Thank you for reporting it. I'll look into it. Would it be possible for you to create a support ticket and attach an aep file with the problem? Or/and tell me the steps you did to generate the error? The image link doesn't seem to work.

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
  • Hey, I am experiencing the same error as the previous poster: Type error: Undefined is not an object! 
    It's happening when I select a type layer and add a cloner to it. Please advice as soon as possible. Am on mac 10.13 adn After Effects CC 2019. Thanks!
  • Hi Jakob,

I'm experiencing an error with Cloners and Effectors
    Unable to execute script at line 299. Invalid Image Data
    Error is thrown after clicking the Cloners+Effectors.jsxbin menu item under Window

Shape Split and Text Split also throws errors after clicking the respective menu item
    Unable to execute script at line 296. Invalid Image Data

System: macOS Mojave 10.14.6 , (Latest version of After Effects)

• [Deleted User] said:
    Hi Jakob,

I'm experiencing an error with Cloners and Effectors
    Unable to execute script at line 299. Invalid Image Data
    Error is thrown after clicking the Cloners+Effectors.jsxbin menu item under Window

Shape Split and Text Split also throws errors after clicking the respective menu item
    Unable to execute script at line 296. Invalid Image Data

System: macOS Mojave 10.14.6 , (Latest version of After Effects)

Hi Arron

This is an error due to failed install. Do you install it manually or using manager app? https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/

The easiest way to do it is using the manager app. If you install manually, you need to check that these files and folders are installed correctly directly in the “ScriptUI Panels” folder. Not in a subfolder.

Cloners+Effectors.jsxbin

ClonersShapeSplit.jsxbin

ClonersTextSplit.jsxbin

Clonerspluseffectors (folder, the jsxbin and png files should be in this folder)

No matter which method you use, you need to close After Effects before install.

If it still isn’t working please create a support ticket and I will help you further.

Thanks, Jakob

• Is there a way to move individual clones? 
  • Is there a way to move individual clones? 
    Hi Drew

The only way I can think of would be to make a plain effector with a radial falloff. And then make the falloff cover only the desired clones. Probably not a very good solution in some situations, though.
    Other than that I think you would have to bake the animation and then move/animate the clones afterwards.

- Jakob
  • Hi Jakob,
    first of all, thank you for your work. Cloners+Effectors is very useful.
    Unfortunately, I have problems with the Path type.
    After having define the element to clone and choose the Path type, I select the path on my comp and when I clic on Set path, I have the error "TypeError: null is not an object".
    Can you help me?
    Best regards,
    Luc
  • Hi Jakob,
    first of all, thank you for your work. Cloners+Effectors is very useful.
    Unfortunately, I have problems with the Path type.
    After having define the element to clone and choose the Path type, I select the path on my comp and when I clic on Set path, I have the error "TypeError: null is not an object".
    Can you help me?
    Best regards,
    Luc
    Hi Luc
    Please create a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/ and if possible attach the aep which is giving you trouble.
    Thanks,
    Jakob
  • Hi Jakob,

When I change the effector type, or try to use ( - ) to remove a cloner and follow prompt to restore,
    all layers disappear and can't be recovered. This happens no matter how I approach it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dom Amatore

AE 16.1.3 (bld 5)
  • Hi Jakob,

When I change the effector type, or try to use ( - ) to remove a cloner and follow prompt to restore,
    all layers disappear and can't be recovered. This happens no matter how I approach it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dom Amatore

AE 16.1.3 (bld 5)
    Hi Dominic

Sounds like something has gone wrong in your file. Do you have more than one cloner system in the same comp?
    Could you create a support ticket and attach the aep you are having problems with? This way it will be easier for me to help you. https://aescripts.com/contact/

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
  • Getting the previously mentioned "unable to execute script at line 299. invalid image data" error with AE CC 2020. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling while AE is closed. Is this not compatible? 
  • Getting the previously mentioned "unable to execute script at line 299. invalid image data" error with AE CC 2020. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling while AE is closed. Is this not compatible? 
    Hi Christopher

It does work with 2020. If anything, it works faster. :)
    This is an error due to failed install. Do you install it manually or using ZXP installer? https://aescripts.com/learn/zxp-installer/

The easiest way to do it is using the ZXP installer. If you install manually, you need to check that these files and folders are installed correctly directly in the “ScriptUI Panels” folder. Not in a subfolder.

Cloners+Effectors.jsxbin
    ClonersShapeSplit.jsxbin
    ClonersTextSplit.jsxbin
    Clonerspluseffectors (folder, the png files should be in this folder)

No matter which method you use, you need to close After Effects before install.
    If it still doesn't work for you, please create a support ticket and I will help you out.

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
  • Hi Jakob,

Great plugin thanks! Love it.

I do have the "ReferenceError: Function adjustClonerSettingsLayout is undefined"  error when I try to duplicate a cloner and it's effector.

Is it supposed to be fixed? Or it's still on the way?

Thanks!
  • Hi Jakob,

I do have the "ReferenceError: Function adjustClonerSettingsLayout is undefined"  error when I try to duplicate a cloner and it's effector.

Thanks!
    Hi Charles
    I'm happy you like it! Sorry about the bug not being corrected. Somehow it had left my production plan. I have just uploaded a new version with the bug corrected.
    All the best
    Jakob Wagner
  • Hi Jakob,

Thanks!
    Hi Charles
    I'm happy you like it! Sorry about the bug not being corrected. Somehow it had left my production plan. I have just uploaded a new version with the bug corrected.
    All the best
    Jakob Wagner
    Hi Jakob,

Yesss! It's fixed! Work like a charm!

Love physics now 2 too. I just started working with those.

Great coding!

• Hi Jakob,

Thanks!
    Hi Charles
    All the best
    Jakob Wagner
    Hi Jakob,

Yesss! It's fixed! Work like a charm!

Love physics now 2 too. I just started working with those.

Great coding!

Great! Have fun with it!
  • I have a comp with multiple overlapping shape layers. I would like to apply a cluster cloner to some of the shapes, then apply another cluster cloner to other shapes. I can't precompose without altering the stacking order. Is it possible to have multiple cloner systems in the same comp? It doesn't seem to work for me.
    FFH_Shapes.png
    1920 x 1080 - 137K
  • I have a comp with multiple overlapping shape layers. I would like to apply a cluster cloner to some of the shapes, then apply another cluster cloner to other shapes. I can't precompose without altering the stacking order. Is it possible to have multiple cloner systems in the same comp? It doesn't seem to work for me.
    Hi Richard

You can have multiple cloners in the same comp. The problem you will run into is that cloners+effectors will also reorder your layers. So if you want to use cloners+effectors you will 
    need to do this:

1. Set up your cloners. You can have multiple, but they can't use the same layers.
    2. Set up any effectors to the point were you are completly done in the Cloners+Effectors panel. Because every time you change something in the panel the layers will be reordered under the cloner layer.
    3. In the end. Reorder your layers. You will need to toggle the unshy button in the layer panel.
    If you can't make it work please create a support ticket and attach your aep file if possible. https://aescripts.com/contact/

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
    Hi Richard

You can have multiple cloners in the same comp. The problem you will run into is that cloners+effectors will also reorder your layers. So if you want to use cloners+effectors you will 
    need to do this:

1. Set up your cloners. You can have multiple, but they can't use the same layers.
    2. Set up any effectors to the point were you are completly done in the Cloners+Effectors panel. Because every time you change something in the panel the layers will be reordered under the cloner layer.
    3. In the end. Reorder your layers. You will need to toggle the unshy button in the layer panel.
    If you can't make it work please create a support ticket and attach your aep file if possible. https://aescripts.com/contact/

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
    Thanks very much, Jakob. Your method completely works for me.
  • Hi Ionut

Thank you for the interest. I'm not totally sure I know what you mean. The main idea of the plugin is to use the effectors to animate the layers instead of animating the layers individually.
    When you put the layers inside a cloner, Cloners+Effectors will take over the position, scale, rotation etc. of the layers. You could add animation to those layers using the Transform effect in AE.
    You can also clone a composition and that can have animation inside it. That animation can then be controlled with an effector or it could simply play like it normally would.

I hope that answers your question. If not, ask away. :)

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
  • Hi Jakob! Am close to purchasing your plugin. Is there a spring or delay effector like C4D?
    Thanks 
    John 
  • Hi Jakob! Am close to purchasing your plugin. Is there a spring or delay effector like C4D?
    Thanks 
    John 
    Hi John

Unfortunately no. Cloners+Effectors are based on expressions. Unlike other effectors Delay falls into the simulation category, and it wasn't possible to achieve with the current state of expressions.
    But I encourage you to try the trial if you haven't already done so and try all the other features. And let me know if you have any other questions. :)

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
  • When I launch the script the window doesn't show anywhere on CC 2020, macOS.
    How do I bring up the options window for this script.

Its not on the "Window" menu either like the instructions say.

Thanks
  • Hi!

I have a problem with baking a cloner with a radial effector. Only the postion and scale toggles are used, but after the baking proces it doesn't seem to work. Is this a common problem with the radial effector?

Greetings!

Luc
  • Luc B. said:
    Hi!

I have a problem with baking a cloner with a radial effector. Only the postion and scale toggles are used, but after the baking proces it doesn't seem to work. Is this a common problem with the radial effector?

Greetings!

Luc
    Hi Luc
    No it shouldn't be a problem. Can you submit a ticket here and if possible attach an aep showing the problem. Do you get any error messages?
    - Jakob
  • Hi
    I'm trying to make a wind effect to grass, it works but I need the animation to be loopable....!

Any advice?

• Hi
    I'm trying to make a wind effect to grass, it works but I need the animation to be loopable....!

Any advice?

Hi Fahed
    There are no real way to loop the wiggle and noise effectors. The best you can do is to find a random seed that kind of works and then pull the comp into another comp twice and fade between them. Did that make sense?
    - Jakob
  • Hi

Any advice?

Hi Fahed
    There are no real way to loop the wiggle and noise effectors. The best you can do is to find a random seed that kind of works and then pull the comp into another comp twice and fade between them. Did that make sense?
    - Jakob
    Hi Jakob
    Which seed you mean?
  • Hi

Any advice?

Hi Fahed
    - Jakob
    Hi Jakob
    Which seed you mean?
    Random Seed under effector settings.
  • Hi

Any advice?

Hi Fahed
    - Jakob
    Hi Jakob
    Which seed you mean?
    Can't find it !
    Random seed.jpg
    221 x 540 - 22K
  • Hi

Any advice?

Hi Fahed
    - Jakob
    Hi Jakob
    Which seed you mean?
    Can't find it !
    It is in the settings you find in the Effects Control panel. See the settings here: https://youtu.be/prdYNMZCUcs?t=999 There are a setting called Random Seed. It will give you a different random result for any seed number you put into it. But you will still need to put your animated grass composition into another composition and do the fade trick as explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI5mbXnuzq4 Note: This tutorial uses footage but the technique is the same. I recommend you bake the grass animation first, but keep Unbake Data. See more about baking here https://youtu.be/Pl7aVjvM8Xw
  • Hi

Any advice?

Hi Fahed
    - Jakob
    Hi Jakob
    Which seed you mean?
    Can't find it !
    It is in the settings you find in the Effects Control panel. See the settings here: https://youtu.be/prdYNMZCUcs?t=999 There are a setting called Random Seed. It will give you a different random result for any seed number you put into it. But you will still need to put your animated grass composition into another composition and do the fade trick as explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI5mbXnuzq4 Note: This tutorial uses footage but the technique is the same. I recommend you bake the grass animation first, but keep Unbake Data. See more about baking here https://youtu.be/Pl7aVjvM8Xw
    Thanks a lot Jakob
  • what if you need to offset a grid row by row. So one entire row is -20px in the y, the next is 0, the next is -20px in the y. so on and so on
  • what if you need to offset a grid row by row. So one entire row is -20px in the y, the next is 0, the next is -20px in the y. so on and so on
    Hi Garret

So basically shifting every other row on the y-axis? It's not really possible in a smart parametric way. But you could do it with a layer effector. See attached file.
    Let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
    aep
    aep
    cpe move every other row.aep
  • I'm enjoying using the Path cloner. I'm limited by paths not being 3D objects. The workaround is usually to create a path animation with a null object and parent an object to the null OR copy/paste the animation spline to the object. Is there a way to get cloned objects to "follow" or flock to a null object in this way? This way my cloned arrows can fly past the camera in 3D space while I have control over the animation path.
  • I'm enjoying using the Path cloner. I'm limited by paths not being 3D objects. The workaround is usually to create a path animation with a null object and parent an object to the null OR copy/paste the animation spline to the object. Is there a way to get cloned objects to "follow" or flock to a null object in this way? This way my cloned arrows can fly past the camera in 3D space while I have control over the animation path.
    Hi!

Instead of making the path/null 3D trick. Try clicking the 3D button in the Cloners+Effectors panel under Cloner Settings > Properties. It will make the cloner 3D and you can know rotate or move the cloner layer (cloner1 if you haven't renamed it) in 3D space.
    Will that solve it for you?

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
  • I have a line of linear clones on the Z-axis. Currently, all the clones spread out from the center object. How can I have them spread out in Z from the front most object? So I can animate the clones as a tail. Hope that makes sense!
  • I have a line of linear clones on the Z-axis. Currently, all the clones spread out from the center object. How can I have them spread out in Z from the front most object? So I can animate the clones as a tail. Hope that makes sense!
    Hi Rafael
    Sorry for slow reply. This is not possible with the cloner alone. But you could do it with a step effector.
    Another option would be to put a small expression on the position prop of the cloner layer:
    var numClones = 7;
    value + [0, 0, effect("Linear Cloner")("Position Z")*((numClones-1)/2)];
    See both options in the attached file.

All the best
    Jakob Wagner
    aep
    aep
    cpe z-axis move.aep
  • Fantastic plugin. Going to buy this. Would be great if it worked with Lottie + Bodymovin 

Unfortunately, the only way I got it to work with Lottie and Bodymovin is to use Expression Options > Convert expressions to keyframes. However, this makes the file size 2x larger. 
  • Fantastic plugin. Going to buy this. Would be great if it worked with Lottie + Bodymovin 

Unfortunately, the only way I got it to work with Lottie and Bodymovin is to use Expression Options > Convert expressions to keyframes. However, this makes the file size 2x larger. 
    Hi

Thanks. It actually have the convert to keyframes included in the plugin. It's called "bake". It's better to use that as it will give you a couple of options.

But yes, all the keyframes creates big json files if exported that way. You could go through the animated properties and use the "Smoother" (build in to AE) to simplify the keyframes with only little loss of animation. After smoother set keyframes to Continuous Bezier. But that can be a lot of work if you have many layers.

So to sum it up. You're right about bodymovin and right now there is no really good solution.

All the best
    Jakob Wagner 
  • Is there any chance that we could get a honeycomb repeater?
  • Is there any chance that we could get a honeycomb repeater?
    Hi Kevin
    I'm pretty sure you will. But it might not be before v2. I can't give you a time estimate yet.
    All the best
    Jakob
  • Trying this out now, the only thing it is missing is Cycle Noise, like in fractal noise effect, which allows for loopable animations. In my opinion, it completely cripples the noise effector's usefulness by not having the ability to cycle, as everyone needs to make seamless animations these days.