Realbook 3 for Cinema 4D
  • Will there be an update for realbook with redshift materials? The multi shader doesn't work when converted to a RS material.
    Just try it with Redshift 2.6.48.
    You simply have to create two new materials using the Multishader node as you can see in the picture and it will work.

Realbook_Redshift_material.jpg
    1591 x 918 - 477K
  • Hi Gianni,

Thank you for your quick reply! I'm new to Redshift and tried several things, however this node-based material system is still a little overwhelming... I understand that you need to make some sort of shader switcher that will get input from user data of the page cloner. But as I'm new to this I get stuck at the 'How?'
  • I think it's worth studying the node system, I'm sure you'll change your mind. I also hardly know Redshift and if you have not already done so I advise you to follow the tutorials you find on the Redshift website.
    About the solution I proposed to you, do you need more explanations?
  • Hi Gianni, that's great! It's working. I did not see your solution earlier because the page wasn't reloaded ;-) I was searching for a solution in the wrong direction... problem solved, thanks alot!
  • Perfect! 
    Thanks to you, Bram.
  • Hi Gianni
    Is it all set up to be rendered with lighting and everything? Or is it just to model of the book?
    Thanks

• Hi Jotd,
    thanks for your interest, first.
    There are no lights or scenes for rendering.
    As you can see from de videos you find just a parametric model with some textures as references

Best
  • Love this book.
    I am having an issue though. The animations stops updating in my render.
    It completes the hardcover opening and gets half way through the page turn then stops.
    Any Idea why this would be happening?
    I am rendering in octane if that helps.
  • Love this book.
    It completes the hardcover opening and gets half way through the page turn then stops.
    Hi Steve,
    it is a very strange issue.
    Can you send me a lite project file just to see what is happening?
    Let me know what version of Cinema 4D and Octane you have.

edit:
    In any case try this:
    Add an Octan ObjectTag to the Realmagazine object and in its Main tab enable the Force Updates.
  • Love this book.
    Hi Steve,
    it is a very strange issue.
    Can you send me a lite project file just to see what is happening?
    Let me know what version of Cinema 4D and Octane you have.

edit:
    In any case try this:
    Add an Octan ObjectTag to the Realmagazine object and in its Main tab enable the Force Updates.
    Fixed it. much thanks!
  • Fixed it. much thanks!
    It was a pleasure.
  • Hi Gianni  , first of all thanks , great plugin, I am running in to a bit of trouble, I added more pages to be specific 10 more pages, so I have 15 total. and I added more textures on each multi-shader but I still see texture duplication, I am running C4D 20 , attached a picture to help illustrate my problem.    
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 4.37.28 PM.png
    3346 x 2698 - 3M
  • Hi Gianni  , first of all thanks , great plugin, I am running in to a bit of trouble, I added more pages to be specific 10 more pages, so I have 15 total. and I added more textures on each multi-shader but I still see texture duplication, I am running C4D 20 , attached a picture to help illustrate my problem.    
    Hi Jean,
    can you give me more informations? The problem occurs also in the render? Which render engine are you using? Wich version of Realbook are you using?
    To get assistance, please open a support ticket and include as much information as possible: https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1318&direct=1

• Oh, yes I just try rendering it and yes you still see the repetition. I am just using standard rendering and the version 3 of the plugin attached is the file in question
    I asked to send the file because the file contains commercial material, please remove the file.
    I downloaded it. I will let you now tomorrow, I need to sleep now.

Cheers
  • So sorry ..!
  • I just opened and I can say that the problem is the number of textures.
    You have 15 pages so you need 15 front textures and 15 back textures, you have inserted much less textures.
  • So sorry ..!
    ;)
  • Hi Gianni, can I only pay for upgrade to 3? how? let me know!
  • Hi Gianni, can I only pay for upgrade to 3? how? let me know!
    Hi Emmanuel,
    for sure, open a ticket and send me information of the old purchase.
    I will let you know soon with a reply.
  • Hi Gianni, buy realbook 3.0, can you send me an instruction manual for the pages?
    I need to make 70 pages with your front and back!
  • Do you think it can be possible to Curve the Spine of the hard cover to resemble kind of like an old leather bound book? Almost like an old spell book. I added some links of photos. I saw how you can change the geometry of the front cover. just curious. would be a nice addition to your control to add a curving effect to the spine. Please advice...

• Do you think it can be possible to Curve the Spine of the hard cover to resemble kind of like an old leather bound book? Almost like an old spell book. I added some links of photos. I saw how you can change the geometry of the front cover. just curious. would be a nice addition to your control to add a curving effect to the spine. Please advice...

Hi Gerald, 
    if you want to obtain this result:
    the answer is Yes.
    You can read this post on my blog.
    The only difference concerns the image of the object manager. Here it is the image for the new version.
    Hope can help.

Curved Spine with FFD.jpg
    351 x 177 - 38K
  • Another question, can the hardcover rotate open father then being flat? like beyond 100%. I want to create the feel of opening a book beyond a 180 degrees look. kind of like a really thick bible. image for example. Also curving the spine.

I get very close. but I can seem to round off the pages to go over the front cover enough.

• Another question, can the hardcover rotate open father then being flat? like beyond 100%. I want to create the feel of opening a book beyond a 180 degrees look. kind of like a really thick bible. image for example. Also curving the spine.

I get very close. but I can seem to round off the pages to go over the front cover enough.

Have you tried to act on Landing Closed combined with Bending Base Dimension and Incrementa Bending Base?
    Clipboard02.jpg
    1609 x 486 - 360K
  • Hi. Is it possible to edit/change what is on the pages in After Effects using Nulls (after rendering)? So if I rendered out a blank book of pages turning from Cinema4D along with an After Effects composition, including Nulls for each page, could I swap what what on the pages in After Effects?
    Thanks
  • Hi. Is it possible to edit/change what is on the pages in After Effects using Nulls (after rendering)? So if I rendered out a blank book of pages turning from Cinema4D along with an After Effects composition, including Nulls for each page, could I swap what what on the pages in After Effects?
    Thanks
    Hi Jotd, your question is the same you find at the beginning of the the product discussion. The answer is yes and no, in the sense that you need a workaround.
    Take a look to my reply:
    https://aescripts.com/forums/discussion/comment/22231/#Comment_22231

Another possibility, wich I have used personally for the same animation with different textures, is to make the main render with white pages and then add many render (faster) you need of the only textured pages so you can compose them.
    Hope this can help.
  • Hi Gianni
    Thanks for your previous reply. I have another question - is it possible to chenge the thickness of individual pages? So that the pages are different thicknesses? I have disabled the hard cover and and am using Page 1 as my cover. I would like this page to be a bit thicker than the susequent pages. Thanks for your help.
  • Hi Jotd,
    yes you can change completely the shape of each page, if you want.
    Go to the Layer Manager and make the hidden layer visible and unlock it (click on the padlock).
    Create your own geometry for the page (with rounded corner, with another thickness, …)  and make it child of the Cube related on the page you need to modify. Adjust the position and the dimension (depend on your poligon).
    If you need to change only the thickness you can just copy and past the Cube and then modify it.
    At this point, after modifying the first and last page, you will probably have to modify the thickness of the Spine adding a Custom Spine to avoid artifacts. The steps are the same as previously.
    The screenshot should help you.
    Custom Page and Spine.jpg
    1261 x 709 - 318K
  • Hi Gianni,

This plugin looks amazing. I skimmed the comments but didn't see the answer to my question. Apologies if you already answered and I missed it.

I'm making a video about a book that has bit over 200 pages. Do I need to individually build textures for each page? Or, is there a simple way to easily import all of those pages into separate textures? Pages are well named with numbers appended (_001, _002, _003, etc...).

Thanks!
    Isaac
  • Hi Isaac,

You have to open the even or odd material and act on the multi shader. It is easier to do it than explain it.
    In the following video the way to add testures is shown for an old version but it is still the same.

Here it is another video that will help you to know how to manipulate the textures:

Hope this can help you.

• Perfect! Looks like I'll just have to sort my page images into folders of even and odd numbers.

Is there a way to test this plug-in before buying? Do you have something like a watermarked version that would let me test it with my files, but that wouldn't allow me to render? I understand if you don't.

Hi Isaac,

You have to open the even or odd material and act on the multi shader. It is easier to do it than explain it.
    In the following video the way to add testures is shown for an old version but it is still the same.

Here it is another video that will help you to know how to manipulate the textures:

Hope this can help you.

• Hi Isaac, You understand perfectly well how it works. Just see the project file to understand better. Unfortunately, as mentioned, it is a project file, it is not a plugin so there is no demo
  • Hi Gianni,
    I want to create a book animation and using redshift before i proceed to buy Realbook 3 i want to understand is it compatible with redshift and how the material works with realbook3
    Would be great if you can share any basic tip an tricks for redshift an realbook3

thanks
    naqi
  • saif raz said:
    Hi Gianni,
    I want to create a book animation and using redshift before i proceed to buy Realbook 3 i want to understand is it compatible with redshift and how the material works with realbook3
    Would be great if you can share any basic tip an tricks for redshift an realbook3

thanks
    naqi
    Hi Naqi,
    if you know Redshift you will have no problem recreating the materials and for those with the multishader take a look at this post:

Hope can help.

• [solved]

Hello, when adding 10 pages via the xpresso interface instead of default 5 the indexing gets messed up on my machine.

The page numbering taken from the texture layers then is

Is there something I missed and/or an easy fix? Some crude workaround would be fine for me. 

I'm on S22

Thanks
    Jonas

EDIT: 

Found it, added more layers to the texture and it is working flawlessy. Would be perfect if you add a message box after adding the pages "dont forget to add more layers to odd/even texture :)

EDIT2:
    Adding Layers in textures seems to only work in R21, in S22 it's not doing it, and it is only working in viewport - the rendering is still having the wrong layer. Thats weird. 

• [solved]

Hello, when adding 10 pages via the xpresso interface instead of default 5 the indexing gets messed up on my machine.

The page numbering taken from the texture layers then is

Is there something I missed and/or an easy fix? Some crude workaround would be fine for me. 

I'm on S22

Thanks
    Jonas

EDIT: 

Found it, added more layers to the texture and it is working flawlessy. Would be perfect if you add a message box after adding the pages "dont forget to add more layers to odd/even texture :)

EDIT2:
    Adding Layers in textures seems to only work in R21, in S22 it's not doing it, and it is only working in viewport - the rendering is still having the wrong layer. Thats weird. 

Hi Jonas,
    first thank you for the suggestion, I'm going to add the following information as sayd in another comment:
    Because of how the multishader works if you have N pages (N even and N odd) you need to put N textures in each multishader material to avoid repetitions

About the S22 I can say that it works, probably there is something wrong in the setup.
    If you can't find a solution send me a message via my blog so you can send me a sample file.

Best,
    Gianni

• Dear Gianni,

I just buy your Realbook V3. But i set up and i can't render. It's nothing. Please help me. i use C4D S22  
  • Hi Marion,
    I'm very sorry for this, it is an unusuall issue.
    Can you give me more informations?
    Send me a message using the contact form on my blog so you can send me a sample file and I can see what is going on.
  • How do you create the thick bent spine?
  • How do you create the thick bent spine?
    Hi Kyle,
    you can read this post on my blog.
    The only difference concerns the image of the object manager related to the position of the FFD deformer.
    Here it is the image for the new version.

Hope can help.

bent spine.jpg
    351 x 177 - 38K
  • I'm using this rig in C4D R21. If I turn on Multi-Instances in the cloner will that break or disrupt this rig? I have already animated the book with 350 pages active.
  • I'm using this rig in C4D R21. If I turn on Multi-Instances in the cloner will that break or disrupt this rig? I have already animated the book with 350 pages active.
    Hi Logan,
    if I understand correctly you are asking me if any undesirable effect can happen if you activate the multi-instances. The answer is no
    , but it is a good idea to save a copy of the file before the try. Multi-instances doesn't work with Realbook.
  • Hi Gianni,

I'm following the video below to add images of my book to the multi shader in both the Front and Back page textures. But, the images aren't importing in numerical order. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Cinema 4D R21

Perfect! Looks like I'll just have to sort my page images into folders of even and odd numbers.

Is there a way to test this plug-in before buying? Do you have something like a watermarked version that would let me test it with my files, but that wouldn't allow me to render? I understand if you don't.

Hi Isaac,

Hope this can help you.

• Hi Gianni,

I'm following the video below to add images of my book to the multi shader in both the Front and Back page textures. But, the images aren't importing in numerical order. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Cinema 4D R21

Perfect! Looks like I'll just have to sort my page images into folders of even and odd numbers.

Hi Isaac,

Hope this can help you.

Hi Isaac,
    make sure to have the same number of page and textures.
    For example if you have 3 page you need 3 even textures and 3 odd textures. Take a look to the multishader and check the list.
    If this don't help you send me an email, so I will help you better.
  • Thanks Gianni,

I did verify the number of pages and textures match. I sent an email with screen captures (direct message through AE Scripts website).
  • Thanks Gianni,

I did verify the number of pages and textures match. I sent an email with screen captures (direct message through AE Scripts website).
    Just replied.
  • hi nice book preset, can you bake whatever you set up using this to fbx? i'd like to import a nice magazine getting "blown by the wind" into unreal engine. is it possible with your app?
  • hi nice book preset, can you bake whatever you set up using this to fbx? i'd like to import a nice magazine getting "blown by the wind" into unreal engine. is it possible with your app?
    Hi Brandon,
    thank you for the interest in the preset.
    I state that I am not familiar with fbx files.
    I have made some test using C4D R21 and I found that the file exported in fbx is correct but without animation.
    Another issue is with the material: the pages that use the multishader loose the material, so you need to apply the materials to every page manually before the export.
    On the other hand the animation seems to be well reproduced by exporting the file in alembic, if it could be useful to know.
    Let me know if I could be useful to test something else in particular.

• Hi Gianni,

Thanks for the realbook.
    I was wondering if rounded corner was possible.
    And as you said in a comment, it's possible and it works very well with my boolean geometry page... 
    The texture are also
    automatically added to this new shape. GREAT !!

So thanks !

• Hi Gianni,

Thanks for the realbook.
    I was wondering if rounded corner was possible.
    And as you said in a comment, it's possible and it works very well with my boolean geometry page... 
    The texture are also
    automatically added to this new shape. GREAT !!

So thanks !
    Wow!
    Thanks to you, Tonib Nicolas!