Match Comp Duration
  • I’ve been asking for this & wondering why it’s not a standard feature in after effects for years. Thanks so much!
  • I’ve been asking for this & wondering why it’s not a standard feature in after effects for years. Thanks so much!
    My pleasure! Yes I created it after really needing it in my own workflow. I hope it saves you as much time as it has me! Thanks again for the positive feedback.
  • Great script - a must have in the tool set! Nice work.
  • Yes!!! Yes !!! Thank you. God bless you. I will pay for it as soon as I am able. Happy new year it is indeed. 
  • The "Match CTI Duration" button doesn't extend a precomp to the CTI if the precomp doesn't start at 0. 
  • The "Match CTI Duration" button doesn't extend a precomp to the CTI if the precomp doesn't start at 0. 
    HI Davide, yes currently the selected layers will match the CTI duration regardless of their position. So for example if the CTI is at 3 seconds, each selected layer will be set to 3 seconds regardless of their inpoint position in time. I'll keep this in mind for future updates though. If the selected layers are not changing at all though send me a support ticket and I'll look into it.
    HI Davide, yes currently the selected layers will match the CTI duration regardless of their position. So for example if the CTI is at 3 seconds, each selected layer will be set to 3 seconds regardless of their inpoint position in time. I'll keep this in mind for future updates though. If the selected layers are not changing at all though send me a support ticket and I'll look into it.
    It's working exactly as you said mate!
    However, let me say that, to me, I'd like to have the option to adjust the precomps and layers so that they end right where the CTI is, regardless of their inpoint position in time. An idea for a future update maybe?
    Good job anyway! Keep it up! Cheers!
    However, let me say that, to me, I'd like to have the option to adjust the precomps and layers so that they end right where the CTI is, regardless of their inpoint position in time. An idea for a future update maybe?
    Hello, any luck with this request?
  • Very good! Can you add the ability to change the frame rate in the next update? I need to use the time other than 25 frame rate for my work.
  • In addition to the frame rate, can you add one more setting to change the start frame from 0 or 1?
    Hi thanks for the message. I'll have a look at updating this shortly.

Very good! Can you add the ability to change the frame rate in the next update? I need to use the time other than 25 frame rate for my work.
    In addition to the frame rate, can you add one more setting to change the start frame from 0 or 1?
    I'll look into these two things, thanks for the feedback.
  • Wow this is a great script but it's limited. Just some ideas, and make this not a 'name your own price'...Hell if you did these things I would pay $50+ for it!

The 'Match CTI Duration' is amazing but it only trims it to the playhead properly when the comp is located at frame 0...I get alot of changes from clients where sections have to be either extended or reduced, and these comps are usually sequential in the edit..So I'd use this script alot if it worked by the comp not being at frame 0 and trimmed to the playhead where ever it's inpoint was. 

Also, it would be good if it was a little more intelligent at extending nested layers/comps...Most of the time there are nested layers/comps at the start of a composition that are clipped purposely as they only appear at the start, this script extends them out regardless of if they are present at the end of the composition duration which means you have to go in and adjust manually, which is really confusing if you have a lot of layers. 

I would be willing to pay good money for this!
  • Any chance of adding a frame count option instead of the timecode for setting custom duration? Thanks for this new panel. My rd_compsetter seems to crap out lately.
  • Fantastic script, a real timesaver, simple and solid!
    Took a lot longer than I meant but this feature has been added now! 'Match CTI Duration' now respects the inpoints of layers.
  • Wow this is a great script but it's limited. Just some ideas, and make this not a 'name your own price'...Hell if you did these things I would pay $50+ for it!

The 'Match CTI Duration' is amazing but it only trims it to the playhead properly when the comp is located at frame 0...I get alot of changes from clients where sections have to be either extended or reduced, and these comps are usually sequential in the edit..So I'd use this script alot if it worked by the comp not being at frame 0 and trimmed to the playhead where ever it's inpoint was. 

Also, it would be good if it was a little more intelligent at extending nested layers/comps...Most of the time there are nested layers/comps at the start of a composition that are clipped purposely as they only appear at the start, this script extends them out regardless of if they are present at the end of the composition duration which means you have to go in and adjust manually, which is really confusing if you have a lot of layers. 

I would be willing to pay good money for this!
    Thanks for the feedback Michael! 'Match CTI Duration' now respects the inpoint of layers. I didn't update the logic for nested layers but will keep that in mind for future updates.
  • Any chance of adding a frame count option instead of the timecode for setting custom duration? Thanks for this new panel. My rd_compsetter seems to crap out lately.
    Hey Steve, this is already possible by changing the display of the comp from 'timecode' to 'frames'. Then delete the Custom Duration to reset it to frames and enter the desired frame range!
  • Fantastic script, a real timesaver, simple and solid!
    Thanks Paul!
  • When using this the comp is extending but the duration stays the same. In your examples the duration changes to match. Am I doing something wrong?
  • When using this the comp is extending but the duration stays the same. In your examples the duration changes to match. Am I doing something wrong?
    Hi Greg, I'm not entirely sure what the issue is (can you open a support ticket so I can chat to you more?), but if you have a comp or layer selected then it should match the duration of the composition your currently in (or the current time indicator position if you use Match CTI).
  • After the update.. The comp duration changes but the layer(s) out point is not extended like id did with the original version of the script. Please suggest a workaround.
  • After the update.. The comp duration changes but the layer(s) out point is not extended like id did with the original version of the script. Please suggest a workaround.
    I'll check that again thanks for letting me know about the issue. What version are you using of After Effects and Mac or Windows? Also did you select the 'include nested layers' option? Thanks.