Smart Precomposer
  • Smart Precomposer
    Smart Precomposer

https://aescripts.com/smart-precomposer/

Smart Precomposer allows you to do a "precompose and leave all attributes" on text and shape layers, which After Effects otherwise doesn't allow. What's more, Smart Precomposer allows you to precompose any type of layer and selectively move some attributes into the new precomp, while leaving the rest in the original comp.

• makes sense why you made it, however if you've been using AE long enough you usually put elements in to a pre-comp 1st then animate the pre-comp in the main comp. I guess a rookie would animate something then decide to pre-compose it. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat plugin, I just don't see the need for it/
  • This script is awesome and just saved me a ton of time. Works perfectly. Thanks!

PS:
    "I guess a rookie would animate something then decide to pre-compose it"

There are plenty of occasions where you would animate and still need to tweak the shape layer or text you are working with, without wanting to keep going backwards and forwards between comps. Plus you lose the ability to see paths if you try to edit a pre comp from your main composition. 
  •  I guess a rookie would animate something then decide to pre-compose it. 
    Haha or anyone who works with clients!  
  • So am I right in saying that this script can only precompose individual layers? Seems to be the case here. If I select, say, four layers, then run SPC, each layer is precomposed individually, rather than nesting them together. What am I missing?
  • All I really need, is a script or procedure that allows me to precompose, but have no pixels beyond that which is content. Like your Dims 100, 100 adds a border of blank pixels, I need that, but for multiple layers, defaulting, obviously, to the largest. Can SPC do that?
  • All I really need, is a script or procedure that allows me to precompose, but have no pixels beyond that which is content. Like your Dims 100, 100 adds a border of blank pixels, I need that, but for multiple layers, defaulting, obviously, to the largest. Can SPC do that?
    Check out pt_CropPrecomps to do this
  • Hi Trevor,

Smart Precomposer was never intended as a full precomposing solution. It is designed to fill in a feature that is missing from After Effects, namely to precompose and leave all attributes on text and shape layers. 

If you select multiple layers, After Effects natively gives you the option to "precompose and leave".

-Ben.
  • Hi Ben,

I see compatibly stopped at cs6. Looks like a useful script for AE 2015 too :)

Cheers,

Coen

• FYI, This plugin does not seem to be compatible with CC 2015. 
  • Can second that - seems not to be compatible with CC 2015
    * in smart precomp 2D text gets shifted (anchor point related?) - motion path clipping
    * in smart precomp text w (3D checkbox on) disappears ?
    - would still be very useful if compatible with CC 2015
    - any plans to update ????
  • I just cannot work without this script! Please update this and make this compatible with 2015 and 2017!
  • I just cannot work without this script! Please update this and make this compatible with 2015 and 2017!
    Hi Taha (and others having problems)

Can you send me a project file that is causing you problems. Smart Precomposer is working for me in CC2017. But maybe I'm not attempting the same thing as you are. 

Best,

Ben.
  • Hey Ben! this script sounds amazing! is there any update for cc 2017?
  • Hello , 
    thanks for this script , I a have a problem with it , it doesn't work in AE CC 2017 , It's should do 
    Precompos for all layers at onc click , and it doesn't , please ,it would be great if you make it to work with after effects CC 2017 latest .

• Crashes AE 2018 mac..

heads up...
  • Something I noticed when using this on a 3D shape layer in CC18 is that you need to do your precomp on the first frame (at least I did). My shape had motion keyframes, and when I precomped it later in the composition it jumped to the initial position. Once I figured out what was happening, I tried precomping from the first frame and all was well.
  • Same as all below, the script is not working in Ae2020, this is a must have script, I wish it will be updated to work with the recent ae versions.
  • Its working in After Effects 2022. Yes!
    There is a catch, don't run it as script UI.

To make it work, use "Run Script File" option from file menu, you will not have any errors while running it.
    And, if you wanna use it frequently, put it in "Script" folder, assign a shortcut. Done.
  • Short Question -> I got a composition with 50 layers. Can this plugin put them into seperate Precompositions with just one click? So each layer gets a separate composition with exactly the lengths of the layer? 
  • Hi All- Quick question- I have watched videos of precomposer and, in theory, it should be able to precompose multiple shape layers at once.  But when I select multiple layers it just precomposes the first layer? Anyone have any idea of whats going on?
  • Very functional script! Please update
  • Can we please get an update. I've tried everything to get this work in AECC2023 and to no resolution. I make one shape, a circle. Keyframe it from left to right, and hit precompose. It then creates a precomp, center screen, with the same dimensions as the circle. The keyframes are moved into the new composition, and the circle is offset, and I can't figure out why. Essentially this script is doing everything that "move all attributes" does except it also crops the precomp to the size of the shape or text and offsets the shape or text. I've followed all the directions, running directly as a script, etc. I've tried multiple combinations of checking and unchecking options in the advanced menu, but to no avail. Is anyone else having this issue?
  • Please update the script; it would be incredibly useful and I confirm it doesn't work in After Effects 2024
  • it no worky in 2024y.
    :(
    Please add to your description... it is now useless so do not purchase. :)