Joystick 'n Sliders
  • Hi Mike,
    First of all, thanks a lot for your work, it's so nice to be able to do those easy and ready to go rigs ! ;)

I'm currently using it right now for a job for wich I have to send collected compositions to a team mate who then does the final compositing in AE.
    Basically it's a stick figure man rig with a child composition for the head rig.
    My team mate does'nt own your fabulous plugin and while the body's rig seems to work just fine, the head rig does'nt show up at all. I should mention that the composition of the head rig is also part of the body's rig as I placed it in different positions on the 4 poses keys.
    I also should mention that I'm running After Effects CC 2017 in French and my team mate is running the same version but in EN. 
    Have you ever have this kind of remark?
    Is there a way to easily convert all the J&S magic in keyframes before delivering a scene to a coworker? 
    Thank you very much ! 
  • Hi Mike,
    First of all, thanks a lot for your work, it's so nice to be able to do those easy and ready to go rigs ! ;)

I'm currently using it right now for a job for wich I have to send collected compositions to a team mate who then does the final compositing in AE.
    Basically it's a stick figure man rig with a child composition for the head rig.
    My team mate does'nt own your fabulous plugin and while the body's rig seems to work just fine, the head rig does'nt show up at all. I should mention that the composition of the head rig is also part of the body's rig as I placed it in different positions on the 4 poses keys.
    I also should mention that I'm running After Effects CC 2017 in French and my team mate is running the same version but in EN. 
    Have you ever have this kind of remark?
    Is there a way to easily convert all the J&S magic in keyframes before delivering a scene to a coworker? 
    Thank you very much ! 
    HI Maxime,
    Does the rig work when your team-mate opens the file up by itself? There shouldn't be any conflicts using rigs between different language versions of AE.

User have reported problems importing rigs into larger projects. If you have any controllers moved to a parent comp as part of your rig, the comps are connected by name. So if you import it into a project with other comps of the same name, your rig will break.

I recommend moving all controllers back to child before importing your rig into another project. It also helps to stick with a naming convention that avoids duplicate-named comps in your project.
    As a last resort, you can select any rigged properties and right-click /Keyframe Assistant/ Convert Expression to Keyframes.
  • Hi Mike,

This is an amazing product and thanks for being so engaged here on the forum!  

I'm in AE 2018, JS 1.6, and I'm having wonkiness regarding unbinding and binding individual layers.  When I go in to unbind and tweak path shapes on an individual layer, bound to a turn joystick, sometimes it won't unbind at all with the ALT click and sometimes it unbinds only the position keyframes but not the path keyframes.  I can get it to unbind correctly without ALT unbinding but just unbinding all the layers.  

On the flipside, with a layer that has path tweaks and position tweaks, sometimes when I go to bind it again, the key poses are changed, first two static and the last two wrong.

I apologize if this question is answered somewhere else in here.  I'm sure these question always happen when people have a gig due so hopefully you'll have a chance to let me know what I'm missing soon.

Thanks again

Jason
  • Hi Mike,

This is an amazing product and thanks for being so engaged here on the forum!  

I'm in AE 2018, JS 1.6, and I'm having wonkiness regarding unbinding and binding individual layers.  When I go in to unbind and tweak path shapes on an individual layer, bound to a turn joystick, sometimes it won't unbind at all with the ALT click and sometimes it unbinds only the position keyframes but not the path keyframes.  I can get it to unbind correctly without ALT unbinding but just unbinding all the layers.  

On the flipside, with a layer that has path tweaks and position tweaks, sometimes when I go to bind it again, the key poses are changed, first two static and the last two wrong.

I apologize if this question is answered somewhere else in here.  I'm sure these question always happen when people have a gig due so hopefully you'll have a chance to let me know what I'm missing soon.

Thanks again

Jason
    Hi Jason,
    Can you open a support ticket for this please?
    This will allow us to exchange files so I can see the problems you are running into.
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
    -Mike O
  • Great plugin, really efficient.

I have a problem with multiple UI sliders in my parent comp.

I have three precomps being driven by sliders, I ported them over to the parent null, and created UI sliders for each. The Layer 1 UI slider works, then once I create a UI slider for layer 2, that acts as the driver for both layer 1 and 2 sliders. Create a UI slider on layer 3, and it drives layer 1, 2 and 3.
  • Great plugin, really efficient.

I have a problem with multiple UI sliders in my parent comp.

I have three precomps being driven by sliders, I ported them over to the parent null, and created UI sliders for each. The Layer 1 UI slider works, then once I create a UI slider for layer 2, that acts as the driver for both layer 1 and 2 sliders. Create a UI slider on layer 3, and it drives layer 1, 2 and 3.
    Is sounds like you're running into naming conflicts. Make sure each slider property has a unique name before you create UI sliders, and make sure your slider nulls have unique names before moving them to the parent comp.
  • any tips for running a heavy shape layer and path head rig? Literally stops my imac after I add the joystick. 
  • any tips for running a heavy shape layer and path head rig? Literally stops my imac after I add the joystick. 
    The load adds up pretty quick with multiple complex rigged paths. JnS must interpolate every vertex and tangent as it would any individual property, which does slow things down. I've noticed significant speed performances once controllers are moved to their parent comps. And you can also use Update Pathshapes to bake your vertices to keyframes.
  • The plugin is such a great help and thanks again for the assistance on an earlier question!

It seems like there are a lot of varying questions with the same general topic: how can I speed up my use of J&S?  I'm wondering if it might be possible to get a quick tutorial or knowledgebase entry on tips and tricks to speed things up?  I suspect with me it's more about being efficient than any other issue.  I have a fairly typical head rig (at least compared other work I've seen out there), but it gets pretty bogged down and I'm wondering what I can do.  Right now I've taken a head rig comp that had multiple different scenes in the same master comp and breaking it down into smaller comps instead.  Not sure if it helps to minimize the length and number of keyframes but thought I'd try.  I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about things like how many pre comps are good/bad, when do I bake versus update path shapes, are too many switch templates an issue, etc.  I imagine you have enough on your plate but I thought maybe a one stop spot that might answer folks questions before they need to jump on the comments section would be useful.  Just a thought.

Thanks again for the great script!

Jason  
  • Hi, I'm having a problem with the script.

After a while, the UI stops responding - can't click to make joystick, paste origin etc...

If I restart AE it works again.

If I close the script's UI window and try to reopen it I get a "Cannot run script while modal dialog is waiting for response".

Any ideas?

Thanks.
  • Hi, I'm having a problem with the script.

After a while, the UI stops responding - can't click to make joystick, paste origin etc...

If I restart AE it works again.

If I close the script's UI window and try to reopen it I get a "Cannot run script while modal dialog is waiting for response".

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Joysticks 'n Sliders throws up a modal dialog asking you to name your joystick or to warn you if your properties aren't correctly set up. You need to confirm or cancel that window before proceeding. Sometimes if you are running After Effects on your secondary monitor the modal dialog window will pop up in your primary. Open a support ticket if you continue to have this problem.
    -Mike O
  • Hi there,

Any solution to this problem?

Try to turn on the window for joysticks and sliders and this pops up -
    "Unable to execute script at line 104. Unable to create temporary image,"
    The window opens but its all blank and has no images or colour on it.
    After about 5 mins of turning it off and on again it begins to start working :/

I'm oldskool using CS6 on win 8.1 Pro.
  • Hi there,

Hi Adam,
    I've just posted an update that should fix this issue. Please download version 1.6.5
  • Tried just about everything, sorry, can't seem to get this cool plugin to fire up.

After Effects CC V 15.1.1 (build 12)

Unable to execute script at line 107. Invalid image data

• Tried just about everything, sorry, can't seem to get this cool plugin to fire up.

After Effects CC V 15.1.1 (build 12)

Unable to execute script at line 107. Invalid image data

Hi Peter,
    I posted a bug fix this morning. Please download the latest JnS and give it a go (v1.6.5).
  • Thanks Mike - Using 1.6.5 - downloaded again just to be sure - still not working - would you prefer I open a ticket?
  • Thanks Mike - Using 1.6.5 - downloaded again just to be sure - still not working - would you prefer I open a ticket?
    Yes, please open up a ticket. That will give me some more information to hopefully recreate the bug.
  • Hi,
    I have an issue with the switch templates; the different arm part's transparancy's (upper arm, lower arm, hand) are switching on and of in an offset manner.
    Moving the bodyturn joystick does not switch the transparancy on or of at the same time when the arms are moving behind or in front of the body.
    The arm parts in the main-comp are connected to nulls, the animation for the joystick is done on these nulls, i don't know if that has anything to do with it. or is there a specific naming convention that is necessary?

• Hi there,

Hi Adam,
    I've just posted an update that should fix this issue. Please download version 1.6.5
    Thank you, Its Working like a charm now, Keep up the fantastic work Mike!
    (Sorry for the late reply, up to the neck in work.)

Best,

• Hi there.
    I dont think this is the place to ask this question but i didnt figure out where to do so!

Can two computers use this script at the same time or do i hace to purchase two licenses?

Thanks.

• Awesome script! I'm having a recurring issue where when I try to shift my joystick to the parent it moves but breaks the rigging in the child. I'm probably forgetting a step or something, any ideas on why this might be occuring?
  • never mind
  • Just download v. 1.6.5 on a mac.
    When i try to open the panel i keep getting this error
    "TypeError: undefined is not an object"
    after clicking "ok" I receive another pop-up
    "unable to execute script at line 96. undefined is not an object"
  • Just download v. 1.6.5 on a mac.
    When i try to open the panel i keep getting this error
    "TypeError: undefined is not an object"
    after clicking "ok" I receive another pop-up
    "unable to execute script at line 96. undefined is not an object"
    hi Arthur,
    I have found a small number of people running into this problem. I am posting an update shortly to fix this issue.
  • Hello I'm having a hard time running Joysticks_n_Sliders.jsxbin to my after effects.

I followed the instructions in the .pdf but this window keeps popping up when it opens.

• Hello I'm having a hard time running Joysticks_n_Sliders.jsxbin to my after effects.

I followed the instructions in the .pdf but this window keeps popping up when it opens.

Hi Reichal,
    Can you fill out a support ticket for this? I haven't run into this issue before and wonder if it might have to do with which version of AE you are running.
  • Hi, I am new one want to know why My joysticks cannot work.
    I follow the video tutorial to set 5 key frames on 4 different layers
    and hit the Joystick tools. it prompted message which seems not work.
    How to  set up the Joysticks, Do I miss any thing?
    Your poses must be exactly one frame apart like you see in the small diagram. In your setup they are spread about 15 frames apart, so Joysticks 'n Sliders can't recognize them as key poses.
    Your poses must be exactly one frame apart like you see in the small diagram. In your setup they are spread about 15 frames apart, so Joysticks 'n Sliders can't recognize them as key poses.
    Thank you. It works:)
  • Hi Mike!

Thank you for this script - it's amazing!
    There is only one thing I'm missing: when I work with shape layers, it would be much better to set up not only left, right, up and down, but also up-left, up-right, down-left and down-right.
    Currently, shape layers tend to get broken in the extremes. 

Greetings,
    Arne
  • Hi,

will there an update for the new CC19 Javascript Engine?
  • Hi,

will there an update for the new CC19 Javascript Engine?
    I am doing some stress testing now and plan to have it ready for the new expression engine shortly! Since it isn't fully tested, I won't say now that it's officially fully supported.
  • Hi there, I am rigging a head, only with path / Shape layers and once I hit the create Joystciks button, the AE freezes, Ive tired this in 2 different machines Mac OS,... am I doing it wrong? or should I precompose instead?
  • Hi there, I am rigging a head, only with path / Shape layers and once I hit the create Joystciks button, the AE freezes, Ive tired this in 2 different machines Mac OS,... am I doing it wrong? or should I precompose instead?
    What version of After Effects are your running? JnS is not yet officially supported for the latest expression engine in CC2019. This will be updated soon.
    Otherwise, make sure each pose of your path contains the same number of points, otherwise, JnS won't be able to rig them. Are your shapes extremely complex?
  • Mike Overbeck thanks for your answer, I have looked into it and I realized theres a specific way to rig shape layers, I found the video on your vimeo. thanks!
  • Any chance of a very rough estimate of when there'll be an update for cc 2019?

Have just rigged up a character for a project without checking it was compatible first (like a moron)...if it won't be long, it'll save me recreating it in cc 2018.
  • Any chance of a very rough estimate of when there'll be an update for cc 2019? Have just rigged up a character for a project without checking it was compatible first (like a moron)...if it won't be long, it'll save me recreating it in cc 2018.
    The update should be ready roughly.... NOW! Just posted moments ago.
  • Mike, the new version I'm getting an error when trying to launch the new release:

Script Alert:
    typeError: null is not an object
    Unable to execute script at line 93. undefined is not an object.
  • Mike, the new version I'm getting an error when trying to launch the new release:

Script Alert:
    Hi Alex,
    Can you open up a support ticket for this? I'd like to run some tests with you to get it fixed.
    -Mike O
  • Hey Mike. I've come across a bug in the "Move Joystick to parent" comp. Sometimes it's unresponsive. Other times it moves the joystick square to weird places outside the comp. But overall when moving them back/forth I always have to reposition them. Is that normal?
  • Hey Mike. I've come across a bug in the "Move Joystick to parent" comp. Sometimes it's unresponsive. Other times it moves the joystick square to weird places outside the comp. But overall when moving them back/forth I always have to reposition them. Is that normal?

Hi Joaquin,
    Can you open up a support ticket for this? It sounds like you might either have changed up the parenting of your joystick controller before transferring it, or perhaps you are working in drastically different sized comps. If you open a support ticket, you can upload an aep. have a look and see what is going on.

Script Alert:
    Hi Alex,
    Can you open up a support ticket for this? I'd like to run some tests with you to get it fixed.
    -Mike O
    Hey Mike, it ended up being administrative security blocks from my company. Got it fixed, thanks!
  • So I don't know if it's an error, or a mistake I am making, but...

I have 3 different sliders in a comp. They all work, when accessed through the effect panel on the null.
    However, when I create a UI slider, it works great... but as soon as I make a 2nd UI slider for the next one, it links back to the first one, as well.
    Thoughts?
  • Looks like there may be a bug where you can't create a new slider without it being attached to a previous null. I'm having to close the UI to get it to create a new null.
  • Looks like there may be a bug where you can't create a new slider without it being attached to a previous null. I'm having to close the UI to get it to create a new null.
    Hi Rafael,
    It seems to be working fine on my end. Are you getting any error messages? If you open a support ticket perhaps you can share a screen cast of what you're trying to do and I can help out.
    -Mike O
  • Hi. I love the plug-in but I'm experiencing huge delays when opening a comp that contains a head rig using Joysticks n Sliders. Has it been optimised for Javascript, because it's quite frustrating having to wait 10 seconds every time I open up a head comp that contains the Joysticks n Sliders expressions. It's also very very slow to chain and unchain the key poses. Around 10 seconds as well. I sincerely hope you can help me out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm on a 2016 MacBookPro using the latest Adobe software, so speed really shouldn't be an issue.
  • Hi!
    Thanks for the great plug-in, it's a lot of fun to work with it.
    However I'm experiencing some weird bugs.
    I created a joystick for moving a head around, everything works fine. But when I move the joystick to the parent comp it gets weird. :-)
    I still can control the head of my character but it stops working as soon as I set keyframes. When the keyframe are deleted it works again.
    MacOS Mojave and After Effects 16.0

Thanks for your help!
    André

• Hi!
    Thanks for the great plug-in, it's a lot of fun to work with it.
    However I'm experiencing some weird bugs.
    I created a joystick for moving a head around, everything works fine. But when I move the joystick to the parent comp it gets weird. :-)
    I still can control the head of my character but it stops working as soon as I set keyframes. When the keyframe are deleted it works again.
    MacOS Mojave and After Effects 16.0

Thanks for your help!
    André

Oh, I just found the solution!
    The precomped head was accidentally time-freezed in the parent comp.
    :-)

• Hey there! Great Script, but I'm a bit lost, how to create a facial expression within my rig. Do I have to precompose the Eyes Mouth etc.?
    If so, do I have to first create the expressions before rigging the movement of my face? Is there a tutorial out there with both, movement plus facial expression in one comp? Or do i just have to use sliders for the expression and joysticks for the movement?
    Thank you!
    Daniel